A Girl Like Me

Guest loobieloo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok heres yet another update 'cause I've wrote the next 3 chapters today so i might aswell post one of them now. why wait right :)

its actually quite a loooong chapter so I hope you all enjoy and thanks for all the great comments I'm glad you like it so far! :D

Chapter 9

Matties POV again

“Martha, I…..I’m sorry” I said to her as I ran out of the kitchen and out of the house. I felt so embarrassed. Why did she have to see that? Him doing this to me is hard enough without her seeing it and making it worse. He only did it again ‘cause of her. He knew I had told her. Why couldn’t she have just acted like nothing was wrong? She’s made it worse, she’s made him worse. My embarrassment was turning to anger. Why did I tell her? I questioned myself but couldn’t think of an answer. I didn’t have to, I shouldn’t have. That day, why didn’t I just tell her to go away? Why did I show her? I have ruined everything. There’s no way I will ever forgive myself for this.

Before I realised where I was going, I was at the cliff. The very top one with the biggest drop. I knew what I had to do. I had to end it all, there was no other way. If I didn’t do this now it would just cause more heartache and sadness for everyone I loved, I had to save them from this nightmare that had become my life.

I looked over but all I could see was darkness. The never ending black of night. I could hear the waves breaking on the rocks and it soothed my anger, my pain. I took a deep breath and stepped forward. I fell, I fell so far and I felt relieved. I was glad that this would all be over soon, as I finally hit the rocks below me just before I blacked out I heard Martha’s cry. I knew this was it, the end.

Marthas POV

“No Mattie. Please!” I shouted at the top of my lungs as I watched her step off the edge of the cliff. How could she do this to herself. I ran to the edge and looked over but I couldn’t see a thing. Tears ran freely down my cheeks as I cried for her to answer me but she never did. What was I going to do now? I kept screaming her name but no matter how many times I listened I never heard a reply.

I started running down the steep slopes at the back of the cliffs, I slipped and cut my leg badly but I had to get back up and keep going. I had to help Mattie.

As I reached the rocks at the bottom, I still couldn’t see a thing. I didn’t want to leave in case Mattie needed me but I had to get a torch. Without it I was no use to anyone.

I ran into the surf club because it was the nearest building. I ran up to granddad who was working in Noah’s.

“Granddad, granddad, we need the torches come quick” I shouted breathlessly I.

“Flamin’ hell Martha, what is it? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?” Granddad said to me while grabbing the torches from the storeroom.

“Quick granddad, there’s no time to explain, we need to help her”, I ran back out of the surf club with the torch I had just been given, granddad followed behind me.

“Slow down love” I could hear him shouting but I ignored him. There’s no time, Mattie needs me. If something bad happens to her I will never forgive myself.

I shone the torch onto the rocks at the bottom of the cliff and gasped when I noticed it. One of the rocks, it was completely covered in blood, I searched around with the torch but I couldn’t see Mattie anywhere.

“Martha, Martha, where’s Mattie? Why did you two just run out before? What’s going on?” I didn’t want to answer any of Beth’s questions but I had to.

“He… he tried to….” I couldn’t say it. “Mattie she fell, I can’t find her” I was crying now, even though I tried to be strong for Beth’s sake.

“What! Martha how could you? You were meant to look after her! I trusted you! If anything has happened to her I will never forgive you!” She was shouting at me now but I knew I deserved it.

“Don’t worry, I wont forgive myself” I mumbled still crying.

“Good, you shouldn’t, it was your responsibility to keep her safe!”

She was so angry with me but not as angry as I was with myself. I never really believed in God or anything. I have never been religious but it was at that moment that I found myself praying to any God that might have been watching over us. Praying for them to save Mattie, to let her live, she didn’t deserve any of this. It was me who deserved to be on that ice cold water, me who should be fighting for my life because at least if it was me, Mattie would be safe.

We seemed to wait a lifetime for the police and rescue team to arrive. They pulled me away and told me to give them space to work. I didn’t want to leave. They literally had to drag me away, it was strange, I wanted to stay there so much it was as if I couldn’t move my legs. I couldn’t bring myself to walk away.

I could feel the water in the sand seeping through my jeans as I sat there but I didn’t care. My eyes were glued to the rocks, watching the men at work, looking for her, I was starting to loose hope. “Martha, are you ok?” I knew that voice. I turned around and clung tightly to him.

“Jack, I couldn’t stop her, I she was there and I was behind her and she just fell and I ran as fast as I could but….” I was shaking now. I had never felt so cold in my whole life.

He took his jacket off and placed it round my shoulders before holding me close. “She will be ok” H e told me but even he didn’t sound sure. “the best thing we can do is go home and get some rest so that when they do find her-“

“-What if they don’t though Jack?” I cut him off.

“They will, I know it. Mattie’s a fighter”

“What if she doesn’t want to fight though?”

Please read and review x x

:)

Archived