YAK ATTACK - Bobby Morley, 21, actor

Guest Andy

YAK ATTACK - Bobby Morley, 21, actor

Sunday Age

13 August 2006

Are you nervous when you're acting on Home and Away?

The first six weeks I was really quite nervous which didn't help with performing. But gradually I feel like I'm getting better - I'm having more fun with it. Initially, I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to do it really well. Now I just calm down and still my mind and focus. The thing I'm still getting used to is the speed at which they shoot and the turnover of scenes each day.

How long does it take to film an episode?

They're pretty much on average shooting an episode a day. So if you stuff up you put everyone else behind.

Your character, Drew Curtis, is new to Home and Away. What's his story?

Drew is Peter Baker's son and they only met for the first time five years ago. As much as Drew wanted to connect with his father, he rejected him. Then his father dies and he rocks up to Summer Bay to find out about his father's will and what's in store for him. He has to wait six months for his inheritance - he ends up staying with (his uncle) Dan and Leah.

How do you differ from Drew?

It was only four years ago that I was 17. When I was 17, I was very strong-willed and stubborn and headstrong like Drew. He's really quite defensive so I hope that I'm not like him in that sense. He is quite independent. I do remember what I was like when I was younger and I thought that I knew everything and it's quite easy to go back to that mentality when I'm playing Drew.

Did you study drama at school?

I studied it up to Year 11 and was kind of asked not to continue because I was a naughty student.

What did you do?

Nothing too bad. I was just in there having fun with my mates and making trouble, not taking it seriously.

This is your first TV role - what else have you done?

I'd mainly done theatre before and that was just uni theatre and short films. Then I got a part in Angels with Dirty Faces at the Arts Centre and the casting agents (from Home and Away) saw the show and asked me to come in and have a chat.

You've been acting in Home and Away for three months but your scenes have only just screened. What's it like seeing yourself on TV?

I was working on Friday when my episode aired and I just managed to catch the end of it. So I haven't had the chance to sit down with my friends and family and watch it and laugh and be dumbfounded by it. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do that in the next few weeks - it is quite exciting.

Archived