Soap bubble bursts

Guest jack4martha_forever

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't even be bothered with Karl and Susan anymore. I used to live for the day they'd get back together and now I don't even know if they have and I don't really care.

That's what I mean. My sister loves Neighbours. I can't stand it apart from Karl and Susan, who I was watching recently. But the show is so dire now, I can't be bothered tuning in even for them.

In fairness I fail to see the point of moaning about neighbours sets. They've ALWAYS been crap, even in it's late 80's hayday. It will never change; they don't have the budget and it does add a slightly quaint charm to the show. That does happen in soaps in terms of UK audiences sometimes- I watch sugar rush religiously even though I know in my heart most of the second series has been terrible. Dunno why. Call it the Ed Wood factor. Or the sunset beach factor.

I actually prefer soaps to slowly build their stories so I don't mind the karl/susan saga. H&A does have a habit of giving characters major major problems- kit's boozing, Kirsty's kidney's, everyone who's ever had an eating disorder, etcra etcra, then curing 'em totally in like, a month. While of course it'd be boring if it was totally realistic, that never ever happens in real life and it's annoying when they do it. Give me a slow building story over them any day.

actually prefer soaps to slowly build their stories so I don't mind the karl/susan saga.

Nor do I. A slow build up to a storyline often engages the audience and makes it a lot more believeable in terms of it being more realistic and easier to adjust to (although it does depend greatly on the storyline, something which neighbours are running low on) While i do think that haa has a tendency to move things at a faster pace that can be irritating, moving it at tortoise neighbours pace is just plain painful to watch! I mean the Karl/Susan thing has been going for how many years now? <_<

I can't even be bothered with Karl and Susan anymore. I used to live for the day they'd get back together and now I don't even know if they have and I don't really care.

Same here! When they first broke up, I expected it to last a couple of months, and now it's lasted so long that I just lost interest.

I used to watch Neighbours, but now I don't and I love Home and Away. I do agree that H&A focuses on quicker, more dramatic, less deep and meaningful storylines, but in the end, that's what attracts people to it. Despite the fact that the stories for Neighbours are probably better written, I got bored of them being strung out over a long space of time, even though that makes them more realistic. (H&A tends to sometimes be annoyingly unrealistic).

The production values are also way better for Home and Away. Everything looks more carefully done, more expensive. Whereas, for example the Neighbours credits just look cheap.

I think that basically Home and Away is more idealistic and Neighbours is more realistic. In the end people don't want to be reminded of the problems/bad things they have in their lives. In my opinion, people watch soaps to ignore the stresses of their lives. E.g. Like how people read a book to be transported into a world that is not their own. Even though a lot of bad things happen in Summer Bay, the show still manages to hold a happy carefree feel, which I know attracts me because it make you feel happy. =) The setting of the beach also really helps. Everything looks nicer and brighter in Home and Away - the people/actors, the set, the settings and the credits. In contrast, Neighbours looks dull and boring. They don't have the advantage of a beachside location but they obviously need to do something to bring in the viewers.

Honestly though, I have nothing against Neighbours, and I don't think it's completely rubbsih, but it needs to be revamped.

Yeah that article is spot on. The Neighbours sets are awful, and everything is inside excect when they go to that dreary lake beside that awful suburban complex. The whole show is just too suburban. And the music is hideous - any show that plays dribble like Human Nature has got serious problems.

I have never been able to sit through Neighbours find it the acting to be absolutely horrible. (Worse than Home and Away)

I think that H&A has some excellent actors. The only H&A actor and I am not overly keen on is Holly Brisley, but I find the character of Amanda OKish. With contrast, I dislke most of the actors in Neighbours, except those who play Karl and Susan, IMO they are the only decent ones in the show.

The Home and Away figure is still healthy, despite being down from the halcyon 1.4 million days of Bec and Lleyton.

Do they seriously think H&A got figures like that because Bec and Lleyton were together? That is so stupid!

Archived