Growing Closer

Guest Jacksthehottest

Chapter 21:

Jack was lying down in his bed; he turned to look at his clock every minute. It was 2 o’clock. Only an hour to go Jack thought to him self. He wished he could stop thinking about it, but most of all he didn’t want Martha to leave. Jack got up realizing that laying there wouldn’t get his mind of things. He got up and walked over to the kitchen to make him self something to eat.

“That was delicious” Martha replied, she leaned back onto her chair. She was sitting at the diner eating her lunch with Robbie and Tash, probably the last time it was going to happen.

“I’m sure going to miss this place” Martha added. She looked around the diner to spot Lucas and Tony sitting there. It had reminded her of Jack; she wondered what he would be doing right now. He knew she was leaving this afternoon, but she guessed that he wouldn’t be coming to say goodbye. She also didn’t think she could go and say one final goodbye to him; she would probably break down in front of him. She didn’t want to leave him.

“So Mac, have you packed all your stuff” Robbie said, distracting Martha from her thoughts.

“Yeah I’m all ready to go” Martha replied. She glanced down at her watch it was 2:30, she was waiting for granddad to come back so she could say goodbye to him before she left.

“Ok well I’ll bring your bags down then” Robbie offered. He walked of leaving Tash and Martha alone. They both walked out of the diner and stood in front of Martha’s car. Not saying a word to each other.

Jack looked up at the clock again, he couldn’t keep still, he didn’t want to see Martha leave, but there was nothing he could do. He looked at his car keys which were on the table and then back up at the clock. Could he really let Martha leave without saying goodbye, he wanted to go and see her, but could he really watch her leave.

He didn’t care he grabbed the car keys and ran out of the door hoping he would be able to reach Martha to say one final goodbye to her, even though it would hurt him he wanted to do it.

Martha saw as Alf and Robbie approached her, Robbie had Martha’s bags in his hands. She didn’t want to leave this town, she had shared great memories here, but she had to.

“So I guess this is it love” Alf said walking up to Martha, he had tears in his eyes, he had taken care of Martha ever since she had moved to the bay. Over the past 6months he had missed her and now he was going to miss her even more.

“I guess it is” Martha replied, giving her granddad a big hug, she stayed there for what seemed ages not wanting to go knowing it would probably be the last time she would see him.

“Promise me you will come and visit more often” Alf said once they had stopped hugging. Martha looked up at Alf she knew she couldn’t make that promise. She couldn’t come back, not for a long time. “I’ll see what I can do” she said giving him a smile, not wanting to let him down.

Next was Robbie, Martha found it weird that he hadn’t said much to her, it wasn’t like Robbie to be quite, but he too didn’t want to see her go.

He walked up to her and gave her a hug, “I’ll miss you” he whispered in her ear.

“I’ll miss you to, take care of Tash fro me” Martha replied, she had tears in her eyes; she thought she could handle this but she couldn’t. Robbie would always be making jokes but now he was different. She let go of Robbie wiping her tears. Tash stood their looking at the ground refusing to look up at Martha.

“Hey I’m sorry” Martha said as she walked up to Tash trying to get her attention. Tash looked up at Martha, her eyes were full of tears.

“It’s ok Mac” she replied giving Martha a hug; she didn’t want to make Martha feel bad, Tash knew she had to leave.

“I’m sure me and you will keep in touch” Martha said giving her a smile.

“Hope so” Replied Tash, hugging her tighter.

She stood back realizing this was the time for her to leave, now she had wished she had said goodbye to Jack, she wished he was here, but he wasn’t. Martha wiped away her tears. Yesterday was the last time she had gotten to see Jack, she was glad at least a couple of things were resolved.

Jack looked up and saw Martha, Alf, Tash and Robbie. He then realized everyone turned around to look at him including Martha, he immediately looked down. He had seen Martha in tears and he hated it, he couldn’t stand seeing her so upset. He didn’t even know what to say to Martha, he didn’t even know the reason he had come here. ‘Jack is just one goodbye, that’s all’ he said to him self. He wanted to turn around and leave, he knew they were all watching him, but he couldn’t he had made it this far already. The only reason he was doing this was because he wanted to see Martha for one last time.

Robbie face lit up with a smile, he was glad Jack had come down to say goodbye, he knew Jack loved Martha and even if Martha had never admitted it, he could see she loved him as well. It was only a goodbye he didn’t want to get his hopes up about Martha staying.

Martha was surprised Jack had come, she really wanted to say goodbye to him, but she thought he would never show up. Jack slowly made his way towards Martha, finally looking up at her, giving her a smile. He reached her and stood there, not knowing what to say.

“Well we will leave you two alone then” Tash said pulling Robbie with her, Alf followed closely behind them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22:

They stood for a couple of seconds both looking at each other, not knowing what to say, finally Jack broke the silence.

“So your leaving” Jack said finally, ‘what kind of idiot says that’ he said to himself, he was totally loosing control he didn’t know what to say, why had he juts said that, Martha would think he was an idiot.

“Yeah, thanks for coming down” Martha replied, she was glad he was here, she wanted to see him since it was going to be the last time in ages.

“You wouldn’t really think I was going to let you leave without saying goodbye” he replied giving her a smile, trying to make a joke about it all and ease the situation.

Martha looked as a smile crept up on his face, she couldn’t resist that smile it made her go weak every time. She smiled back “Guess not”

Jack opened his arms, signaling for Martha to give him a hug. She stepped forward falling into his arms. She held onto him tight and leaned her head on his chest. Jack wrapped his hands around her waist trying to get as close as possible.

Martha didn’t want to leave his arms, she felt safe and protected. She wished this kind of feeling could last forever, she didn’t know what it was about Jack but he always managed to make her feel better.

She finally stepped back away from Jack’s arms, she didn’t want to but she knew she had to.

“Jack I’m sorry for the past week” Martha explained to him.

“No you have nothing to be sorry for” Jack replied, he didn’t want to see Martha upset he hated it.

“No I do Jack, I have put you through so much hurt, not just this week, but for the past 6 months, I wish I could go back in time and fix it all, I never would have left if I knew James and Lauren had done all that” she explained to him.

“Yeah but you didn’t know it was them, I think Lauren is the only person to blame here, and plus you had warned me about Lauren but I never listened” Jack replied, he hoped Martha would take in what he was talking about.

Martha looked down at the ground, she could feel the tears coming, it had all come to her now, she was leaving she wasn’t going to see any of her friends or family or Jack. She felt Jack’s hands on her face, she looked up at him.

He moved closer cupping her face; he wiped away the tears gently, pulling her close to him for another hug.

“It’s ok” he whispered in her ear. She wrapped her hands around him once again, she wanted him, and she didn’t know how she could possibly leave him like this.

He could feel her hands around him holding him tight.

“Martha never forget I will always love you” he spoke softly into her ear, so only she could here him. Martha could feel the tears down her cheek.

Jack pulled her away taking one last look at her.

“I’m going to miss you” she replied. She looked over Jack’s shoulder and saw Robbie, Tash and Alf heading her way. It was time for her to go. She moved away from Jack and everyone else and opened the car door and got in, closing the door behind her.

This was it; Jack said to him self, the moment where his heart would be crushed once again. He took a look at Martha, who was looking right back at him; he gave her one last smile and watched as she drove off, waving goodbye to everyone.

He placed his hands in his pockets and turned around to walk back home, he was handling it better than he had thought, he wondered how long he would keep this guard up.

Jack entered his house, falling down on the couch; he laid down looking up at the ceiling. Tears forming in his eyes. He had let Martha leave once again, the same thing he had done 6 months ago. He had regretted it, but once again made the same mistake. He looked at his phone which was right next to him. He wanted Martha to stay, he wanted her to be here with him, and he loved her, but had let her walk out of his life once again. Why was he so stupid, he didn’t even ask her to stay, not that it would have changed Martha’s mind.

He picked up his phone from beside him and dialed Martha’s number hoping for an answer.

Martha was driving; she didn’t know why she was doing this, leaving it all behind especially leaving Jack. All of a sudden she heard her phone ring. She pulled over on the side of the road, and picked it up. It was Jack, she thought of answering it, but she couldn’t handle it. She cancelled the call and continued to drive on.

Jack had given up she wasn’t answering. He walked into his room and opened his cupboard, inside it was a box. He slowly picked up the box and put it on the floor. Opening it he found what he had been looking for. He hadn’t seen it in a long time, the last time he had seen this picture was when him and Martha were together.

He grabbed it out of the box and placed it on his bed, he looked at it closely, It was the happy times of him and Martha. She was smiling and he had his hand around her, it was perfect and now all that had disappeared and he had no chance of getting her back.

He placed it on the side of him and rolled over facing the wall. Tears fell down his cheeks; he couldn’t hold it in anymore. He had tried so hard to be strong, but he couldn’t not anymore. He knew once he woke up Martha would be gone, it had brought a smile to his face knowing Martha was back even though he didn’t really talk to her much over this week, he was happy she was there, but now she was gone, forever.

Ok….Sorry for making Jack suffer, I didn’t want to but had to lol, anyways just to let you know that this isn’t the end. That’s all lol, thank you for all your comments.

Chapter 23:

Martha kept on driving down the road, the tears were unstoppable she wished she didn’t have to do this, she wished she didn’t have to leave; she didn’t know why she had left. Sure her job in the city was great and it was like her dream job, but it wasn’t the same without anyone there with her, when she used to work at Noah’s she would have something to look forward to the end of her day, either her family friends or Jack.

Jack hadn’t left her mind ever since she had left him behind; she wondered what he would be going through right now. He had told her a couple of times that he loved her but she didn’t reply back she also wondered why he had called her just before. She wasn’t ready to answer it.

In the city she had Crystal, sure she was nice but she could never replace Tash or Robbie or any of her friends. Tash practically knew everything about Martha, they had been friends ever since the day Martha arrived to the bay and now she had none of them.

She didn’t want to feel like this, why couldn’t everything go back to normal. The past week had been the most fun she has ever had in a long time and that’s because she was around the people she loved and cared about, why couldn’t it always be like that.

Martha saw the sign ahead of her “Summer Bay”, but she was leaving it, like she did 6months ago. She had again made the same mistake. She promised herself she wouldn’t hurt Jack again and she had done it. He was still in love with her and once again she broke his heart by leaving.

All of a sudden she felt her foot hit the brake, she pulled over to the side of the road unsure of why she had done it.

Jack opened his eyes to realize he was in his room. He must have fallen asleep before, he turned around to look at the clock it had only been an hour since Martha had left. He had gotten used to seeing her around in the last week and now she was gone.

Jack got up from his bedroom and walked over to the fridge to garb a beer, hoping it would ease his mind but it didn’t. He had a late shift at the station only for a couple of hours. Work had gotten a bit boring. They had been working on a case for over 6months and still hadn’t found the criminal. Peter had spent all his days working up to mid night trying to figure it out, but couldn’t. They had put a hold onto the investigation for now, since there was no new evidence. The case seemed dangerous the people they had found out as suspects looked like drug dealers and there were a couple of them, but they didn’t have enough evidence to prove it was them. Josh’s murder hadn’t been resolved yet; they still hadn’t found out who had killed him.

Right now he wanted to forget about work, he didn’t want to think about anything, not even Martha, it had just hurt him even more. Since Rachael and Kim had moved out the place looked empty, not that Jack minded sometimes he wanted to be alone especially on days like these.

Martha was frozen in her car, why was she doing this, she didn’t have to leave. Her job was great but her life in summer bay was better and nothing could every replace that. Was she ready to leave her job behind, could she really turn around and go back to summer bay? She knew she would never probably get the chance to own a business, but it didn’t mean nothing if she didn’t have her friends.

She turned the car back on and turned around she was heading back to home, maybe this was mistake, but she didn’t care this was the only thing that was going to make her happy.

“C’mon Tash, you haven’t spoken a word since Martha has left” Robbie said as he placed his arm on her shoulder.

“I know I’m sorry, I just don’t want to talk about it” she replied.

“Yeah I know I miss her too, but we can always go and visit her sometime” Robbie said sounding a bit more confident. He too missed Mac but there was nothing him or Tash could do now, she had left already.

“Yeah I know it just won’t be the same without her” Tash replied, she hated to see her best friend leave like that, why couldn’t she just stay.

Robbie moved closer to Tash and wrapped his hands around her, holding her tight.

“It’s going to be ok, I’m sure she will come back for more visits” Robbie said as he spoke softly, he wasn’t sure what he had just said was true.

Martha parked her car outside the diner she closed the car door behind her heading up to her apartment. She opened the door, a huge smiled appeared on her face, she still couldn’t believe she had done this, in a matter of minutes she had just changed her mind. She got even more excited knowing that everyone would be pleased she was back. She couldn’t wait to see their reactions.

She headed downstairs into the diner, she looked over at Robbie and Tash who were hugging, after a moment Robbie realized Martha and looked up.

“Martha” Robbie spoke shocked, what was she doing back here.

“I know she’s gone” Tash replied still hugging Robbie; she still hadn’t come to full terms with her leaving.

“No Tash, look she is standing right there” Robbie said touching her arm to get her attention.

“Robbie what are you..-“she couldn’t finish her own sentence she looked up to see Martha standing there with a big grin on her face. She let go of Robbie’s grip and ran down to give Martha hug.

“What are you doing here?, when did you get back?, what’s going on?” Tash asked as quickly as she could, she couldn’t believe Mac was here, she wondered why she had come back, maybe she had forgotten something.

“How about we garb a coffee and I’ll explain everything” Martha said with a smile, Tash returned the smile “a coffee” she thought, maybe that meant she was staying.

Chapter 24:

“So you’re really staying this time, I mean you’re not leaving anymore” Tash said hoping Martha’s answer would be yes, a smile hadn’t left Tash’s face, she was so happy to have her back and so was Robbie.

“Yep this time I’m staying” Martha replied hoping she had made the right decision. The three of them were sitting in the diner, Martha had just explained to them why she had come back, this place was the only thing that could make her happy and having her friends around was the only thing she needed now.

“Mac it’s great to have you back, I mean Tash was already going crazy” Robbie joked as he looked over to Tash. She hit him playfully, all three of them cracked up laughing.

“What about Jack does he know you’re back?” Tash asked, she knew Jack would be happy to see her.

“No I haven’t seen anyone yet” Martha replied, she was dying to see Jack, she wanted to tell him she was staying. She hoped that he would be happy.

Martha had decided she wanted to go for a walk to refresh her mind, now that she was staying here, everything would be different.

“I’m just going to go for a walk” Martha replied standing up.

“Ok well if you need help with anything we’re here for you” Tash said with a smile.

“Thanks guys but I think I can handle it and plus you will be seeing a lot of me” Martha replied back.

She headed over to the surf club she wanted to find her granddad and tell him.

Jack had gotten tired of sitting in the house, his shift started in an hour and already he was bored. He garbed his towel and headed for the beach, trying to forget about Martha. He didn’t know how he was going to handle being apart from her, he had done it for 6months and it drove him crazy. But now he loved her even more and he couldn’t believe he had let her walk out of his life, he didn’t even try to stop her.

“That’s great love, I’m so happy to have you back” Alf said as he hugged Martha.

“Thanks granddad, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, do you think I made the right decision by leaving my job?” Martha asked

“Well, sometimes you have to sacrifice things to get what you want. If this place makes you happy and you love being here, then you have made the right decision” Alf replied, he was glad to have her back.

Martha gave him a smile. “So do you want a drink” Alf questioned her.

“No thanks I was just on my way out I’ll see you later” Martha replied walking out of the surf club,

She was heading down to the beach, she wanted to think all this through, and she had already given Crystal a call telling her about her decision. Martha hoped she wouldn’t regret this someday. She didn’t want to feel bad anymore, what was done was done. She was happy to be back and that’s all that mattered.

She spotted a familiar figure in front of her, he was walking about 200m in front and had his back turned to her. She smiled to herself it was Jack; she couldn’t wait to tell him she was back.

Martha knew Jack didn’t want her to leave, she wondered what his reaction would be once he saw her. Maybe now that they knew what really happened ages ago, they could move on and maybe start all over. She wanted him, but she had never told him.

Jack looked up in front of him, he could see the cliff form here, it was just another place that reminded him of Martha, everywhere he looked it reminded him of her. Why couldn’t he just stop thinking about her, she was long gone by now.

Martha slowly walked towards Jack; she didn’t want him to notice her until she had reached him. He had his back turned to her so he couldn’t see her and also the waves along the beach were pretty loud as well.

She was right behind him now; she reached out for his shoulder and placed her hand there. Jack felt a warm hand on his shoulder, he got a fright, and he was in deep thought that he hadn’t realized that someone was behind him.

“Jack” she whispered to him. Jack’s face lit up with a smile, he knew that voice, it belonged to Martha, maybe he was dreaming maybe she wasn’t here. He had been thinking of her for a while now, he was probably imaging things.

He turned around to get a shock, now he definitely knew he wasn’t dreaming she was here standing right in front of him.

“Martha” was all he managed to say

Chapter 25:

She studied his face, but he gave away no clues, not even a smile or a frown. He didn’t move. She took her arm of his shoulder, but still he didn’t talk.

Jack looked at Martha standing in front of him, how was this possible, was she back to stay, he didn’t know what was going on.

“What is it, you’re not happy to see me” Martha asked joking around, trying to get him to speak, he gave her a smile finally.

“I am happy, just a bit shocked” Jack replied, he would have thought Martha would be half way to the city by now, but she wasn’t she was standing right in front of him. The shock had now worn off.

“So what brings you back” Jack asked as he placed himself down on the sand. Martha sat down beside him looking at him.

“I just forgot a couple of things, before I left, so I came back for them” Martha replied, the look on Jack’s face was priceless.

‘What’ Jack said to himself, he thought her coming back meant she was staying obviously he was wrong.

“Oh” he replied disappointed.

Martha gave him a slight push, she couldn’t help but laugh at him, he believed anything.

“I’m only joking, I’m here to stay” Martha replied to him. She could see the smile that grew on Jack’s face all of a sudden.

Jack couldn’t be happier, she was really staying, which meant he would see her everyday and she would never leave. Now he had finally realized it was all true, Martha wouldn’t leave any more, he was glad she was staying; he looked up at her giving her a smile then back out at the water.

She looked at Jack beside her, she could see him smiling, she just wondered what he was thinking about, he looked like he was in a deep thought.

“What are you thinking?” she asked Jack. All of a sudden he turned around and looked at her.

“Nothing, I’m just glad your back” he replied, it was obvious to anyone that they were in love. Martha still hadn’t admitted it to him, even though some of the things she had done in the past week might have given him a clue.

“You still have every right to hate me, I mean I still regret for what I did, leaving you like that” Martha said to him, she still felt bad about everything that had happened. But Jack didn’t care he had already forgotten about it.

“Nah don’t worry about it, if it wasn’t for Lauren none of this would have happened” he replied, he had thought what could have happened by now if Lauren hadn’t interfered with his life, he thought about the question every day. He and Martha could have been happy. He had that chance now and he wasn’t going to ruin it.

“Besides not every girl can stay away from me for that long” he added with a cheeky smile, he didn’t want to see Martha upset any more, he wanted to put it all behind them.

“I see you haven’t changed much” she replied, he had been like that from the first day Martha had met him, it’s the kind of Jack Martha loved even though his comments sometimes drove her crazy, she managed to put up with it.

“Not at all, but I see you have” Jack said.

“How?” Martha asked confused.

“Your letting me get the better of you, what happened to your snappy comments, I guess you finally gave up knowing you could never beat me” he replied with a smile.

Martha couldn’t believe this guy, he was still a jerk. He made her angry but in a good way, she had missed this.

“No I don’t think so” she replied shaking her head, she gave him a slight push making Jack fall on to the sand. He couldn’t help but laugh

“Now that’s the Martha I know” he replied while trying to get up and sit properly.

There was an awkward silence, both not knowing what to say. It was like old times, Jack loved to tease her. And because Martha was stubborn she would never give up. He looked at her as she stared out into the water. She looked gorgeous just sitting there; nothing or no one could replace her.

Martha felt Jack’s eyes on her but she didn’t look towards him, she continued to look in front of her, she knew she had made the right decision. It was her first day back and she was already happy. She couldn’t believe she had stayed in the city for so long. She turned to look at Jack giving him a smile.

“You know I really did miss you” Jack said turning the conversation serious, he wanted to tell Martha everything, how he didn’t want her to leave in the first place and how much he loved her.

“I missed you too” she replied with a smile.

Chapter 26:

“So what did you get up to in the past 6 months” Martha asked, they were still sitting on the beach talking. Over the past week Martha’s conversations with Jack were mostly serious, she had never even asked him how he had been.

“Nothing really, work and more work, Interesting huh?” he smiled at her.

“Tell me about it, it’s all I ever did” Martha replied, during her 6 months she had done nothing except for work,

“Any spare time I had was spent with Tash and Robbie” Jack added, they had really helped him out in the past months.

“Yeah I have realized that, all 3 of you have gotten close, I’m glad they were there for you” Martha replied, she had many conversations with Tash over the week and from what she had gathered, both of them had helped Jack out.

“Yeah they have been great” Jack replied, looking back down at the sand. An idea forming in his head, followed by a small smile.

Martha noticed his smile “What are you smiling at?” she asked him, he snapped out of his thoughts.

“Nothing” he replied as he stood up. He placed his towel on the sand and walked slowly over to the water. He stood before he reached it; he was about a meter away from the water.

Martha sat back looking confused what was he doing?, why had he just gotten up and walked over to there without saying anything?. Maybe he wanted her to go away; he didn’t want her to be there? A lot of thoughts went through Martha’s mind but she was interrupted by Jack’s voice.

“Come here, I want to show you something” Jack said as an even bigger smile grew on his face, Martha had no idea what was going on, lucky for him, he had his board shorts on.

“Okay…” Martha said as she stood up slowly, still confused, what could Jack possibly show her. She reached there, still with no idea what was going on.

Before she knew it, Jack had picked her up and was running with her into the water.

“Jack Holden” she screamed, from shock. “Put me down now” she ordered. Jack didn’t obey her, he kept on running into the water, it splashed every where. He couldn’t help but laugh at Martha screaming.

Finally he placed her down into the water, it reached up to her waist.

“I can’t believe you did that, its freezing” Martha complained, she still hadn’t come to terms with it; she couldn’t believe he had done that, ‘What a jerk’ Martha thought. She splashed him.

Jack just smiled back at her refusing to stop. He placed his hands around her and picked her up again, this time putting her over his shoulder, not long after Martha was thrown in the water.

“Can’t believe you did that” Martha said as she walked out of the water, she was completely wet, not to mention freezing, she didn’t dare turn around and look at Jack.

“Maybe you should have been prepared” he smirked at her, only rising Martha’s frustration even higher.

“Prepared? How do you expect me to be prepared, I had no idea you were going to do that” she replied angry. She continued to stare at him and saw a smile appear on her face. “You think it’s funny” Martha asked.

“No need to get all angry” Jack said razing his hands, “I told you, you couldn’t resist me” he replied, he knew he should stop but he loved to see her so angry, it made him laugh.

“If I remember right, you were the one that dragged me into the water, so therefore it was the other way around” she said to him as she bent down to pick up his towel.

“I’m taking this” she started. “And your not getting it back” she finished.

“What are you going to do run, because you know I can catch you” Jack smiled at her. He was right Martha thought, but she was going to give it ago. She started running up the beach, Jack followed behind and in a matter of seconds he had caught up.

Eventually they both fell on the floor laughing Martha moved over so that she was laying right beside him.

“This isn’t the end Jack, I will get my revenge” she smiled as she turned around and look at him.

“You know I’ll always beat you, no point in trying” he replied

“I wouldn’t be so sure Jack Holden” she smiled

“I would, your no challenge, I’ve beaten you in everything the drinking contest, the game of pool not to mention the…” he started but was cut of..

“I get it …your so full of yourself” she said as she slapped him playfully.

Both of them looked at each other at the same time, smiling. Martha couldn’t help but smile at him, he was so cute and she had every chance of getting him back all she had to do was tell him how she felt.

“Oh my god” Jack said all of a sudden, Martha was distracted from her thoughts.

“What’s wrong?” she asked confused.

“I forgot about work” he said a she placed his hands to cover his face, he looked at his watch he was already late. “I’m already late, I have to go” he said as he stood up suddenly. Martha was disappointed she had planned on telling him.

He took a few steps forward, but quickly turned around.

“What about drinks later at Noah’s?” he asked.

“Sure” she smiled as she watched him run off. Tonight was the night she was going to tell him how much she loved him and nothing was going to stop her.

i bet your all angry because they didn't kiss lol, please review :D

Chapter 27:

“I see you finally decided to come” Lara said as she watched Jack walk into the station. Jack had already been 30 minutes late, he got caught up with Martha down at the beach that he had totally forgotten about work. When Martha hadn’t been here, all Jack wanted to do was work to keep him self occupied, but now that she was back and was actually staying he wished he could be spending time with her. At least he had something to look forward to tonight.

“Sorry I’m late” Jack said as he walked up to the desk. “So what do I have planned today, maybe catching criminals or a car chase?” Jack asked.

“Nope, just paper work” she said with a smile as she placed the files on his desk.

“What could be better” Jack said sarcastically. That’s all he had seemed to be doing for the past weeks, nothing exciting was happening. Summer Bay was peaceful ever since the murder of Josh West, there hadn’t been much major crimes.

He let out a sigh and sat down at his desk, preparing to do some work. He didn’t mind it that much, it was only a short shift, a couple of hours and then it would be over, he couldn’t wait for tonight. He was still quit surprised that Martha was staying, at first it didn’t seem real, he never would have thought she would stay, she had loved this town but he always thought that she would end up going back to her job. Today he had fun with Martha down at the beach, it was just like they used to be only now they weren’t together, but Jack hoped that would soon change. He smiled to himself just thinking about it.

“Never knew it could be that exciting” Lara said as she looked towards Jack.

“Huh?” Jack asked confused.

“The paperwork, you seem to have a smile on your face, I thought you hated doing it” Lara replied.

“Yeah it’s pretty exciting, maybe you should give it a go, you could do mine if you want” Jack said sarcastically.

“Good try Constable” Lara said as she focused her attention back on the computer.

Jack looked around the station, there was hardly anyone here, he hadn’t seen Peter in days, it was like he was never here, all day he would stay in his office and never come out. Since Josh’s murder 6months ago, Peter has been trying to solve who had killed him, but had never gotten any luck. They had decided to give up on the case, except Peter.

“Let me guess Peter is in his office” Jack said gesturing to the door.

“Yeah how did you guess” she replied sarcastically, Peter was in there all day.

“He is determined to find out who killed him, and he won’t give up until he does” Jack replied.

“Yeah I know, but recently he has been getting a couple of strange calls, he’s always investigating something, I don’t know what it is but I think he has found something out” Lara explained.

“Found out something like what?” Jack asked. “New evidence maybe?” he questioned.

“I don’t know, it looks like Peter only wants to keep it to him self” Lara replied.

“Maybe if he told us what he is doing, we could help him?” Jack said.

“Yeah, but I think Peter want to solve this one for himself, I’m sure he will tell us eventually” Lara reassured him.

Martha was walking up towards her apartment, she couldn’t help but smile, even though she was completely wet and it was freezing. There was something about Jack that was special, he always managed to make her laugh and feel better.

“Mac” Tash said as she approached Martha. She couldn’t help but laugh at her, she was fully dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, but they were soaking wet.

“It’s not funny” Martha said as she gave her a glare.

“Let me guess, you ran into Jack” she said laughing.

“Hmm, it’s not like anyone else would do this to me” she said.

“So I’m guessing things are back to how they were?” Tash asked, a smile grew on her face.

“Not quite” Martha replied disappointed, Jack and left before she got the chance to tell him how she felt. “What about you come over later and I’ll tell you all about it” Martha added.

“Sounds good” Tash replied “See you soon” she said as she left.

Chapter 28:

“What’s that?” Jack asked, he saw Lara picking up a sheet from the fax. machine

“I don’t know it’s for Peter, something about a location of some one” Lara answered confused, she wondered why Peter would need this. She walked over to Peter’s door and knocked. “Peter you in there?” she asked.

All of a sudden the door opened slowly and Peter stepped out. “Is that for me?” he asked, Lara handed him the sheet, he looked at it closely a smile appearing on his face “Just what I needed” he answered.

Lara and Jack both looked at each other confused.

“Peter is there something new we should know about, anything we can help with?, is that new evidence on Josh’s murder?” Jack asked he was full of questions; he wondered why Peter was acting all strange.

“How,… how do you know?” He asked, Peter looked shocked he had tried to work this out himself, he didn’t want people interfering.

“I don’t I’m just asking” Jack replied, so there was something going on.

“Nothing going on” Peter replied, he knew it was a lie, but he wanted to figure out this himself, and this is what he had needed. If the information matched with what he already had then he would be able to catch the guy, he knew he needed Jack’s help but not just yet. Peter walked back into his office and closed the door. Jack turned around puzzled but continued to work.

“We just talked casually it was nothing important” Martha explained to Tash, they were sitting at her apartment. Martha was telling Tash what had happened with her and Jack.

“So you do like him, you tried to hide it, but it was so obvious Mac, so why didn’t you tell him?” Tash asked.

“I had no time, he had to go to work” Martha replied disappointed. Martha then thought about tonight she couldn’t wait, she knew it was only a couple of drinks and catching up, but she had a good feeling about this.

“I’m actually meeting up with him down at the surf club later for drink” Martha added, with a smile.

“That’s great, there’s your chance then” Tash replied.

“Yeah I guess, but what if Jack doesn’t -“Martha began but was cut of.

“You don’t even have to think about that Martha, you already know how Jack feels about you” Tash replied reassuring her.

“You’re right” Martha replied sounding a bit more confident.

“Hey mate what would you like?” Alf asked Tony who was sitting across him at the bar. Alf couldn’t help but smile to himself, he was still glad that Martha was staying, he knew how much everyone had missed her and they would all be glad she was staying.

“Just a beer, I’m actually waiting for Beth and the kids to come” Tony replied, he noticed the smile on Alf’s face. “Someone’s happy, what’s the good news?” Tony asked.

“Haven’t you heard, Martha’s staying” Alf answered.

“She’s staying for good you mean?”

“Yeah” Alf replied.

“Wow that’s excellent, I know Jack would be happy, I have noticed he hasn’t been himself over these months” Tony said with a smile. “I’m glad she’s staying” Tony added.

“Yeah me too” Alf answered back

“I have all I need” Peter said as he rushed out of the door, standing in front of Jack and Lara waving the papers.

“You have what?” They asked both at the same time.

“The evidence we need, I think I have figured out who killed Josh” Peter said, he was actually quite proud of himself, finally things were becoming to work out

“What evidence, when did this all happen” Jack asked, he was confused; he hadn’t been informed about the case since 2 months ago.

“Josh, had owed these guys some money, the kind of money Josh couldn’t pay back to them and –“Peter was cut of by Jack.

“Money, what? How could we have missed this before” Jack asked confused.

“I’ll explain later, come on we have to get going” he said looking at Jack.

“What do you mean, where are we going” Jack asked.

“They are located at the warehouse near the old tire place, we have to go c’mon Holden move it” Peter directed.

“Peter are you crazy, you’re juts going to walk in there and try to do what?, how do you know how many of them there is?, can’t we investigate this more?” Jack asked, Peter was taking a huge risk.

“Holden, I have been working on this case for over 6months, this is my chance to solve it and figure it out all, I’m not going to let you or anyone else ruin that, got it, I’m willing to take the risk, now you can come if you want, if you don’t want to you can stay here”’ Peter practically yelled at Jack.

He hesitated for a second and then answered. “Ok, I’ll come” Jack said grabbing his police hat and walking out of the station, he knew this was crazy, the whole Idea was crazy, but he wasn’t ready to let Peter go by him self.

Peter stayed for a couple of seconds talking to Lara; he quickly ran out of the station and jumped in the car.

Next Time: Life’s are at risk.

Chapter 29:

Jack and Peter were still in the car driving, Peter had explained everything to Jack how it had all started, why Josh had owed them money and why they had killed him. Even though it had all made sense, Jack still sure wasn’t about this, maybe Peter had missed something and this wasn’t right. Why couldn’t Peter take things slower? Jack thought to himself, he didn’t know how many people would be in this warehouse, would they have guns or any weapons.

“Peter are you sure about this” Jack asked.

“Holden, I told you back at the station if you didn’t want to go, you didn’t have to” Peter replied, frustrated Jack had already asked him the same question 10 times.

“But we don’t really know what kind of people they are, what about if there is more than one, what then?” Jack asked, he didn’t want to do this, but he knew he had to.

“I’m willing to take that risk, I have been working on this for too long to let it all just go” he replied, getting more and more angry.

Jack decided to drop it, he focused back on the road, the truth was he was scared, scared of what might happen to him.

“Pull over here” Peter said, Jack turned right and stopped, Peter rushed out the car. Jack couldn’t believe this was happening, he had never seen Peter act like this, he was acting crazy, he was risking his own life. “You go from that side, I’ve got this one covered” Peter called out to him.

‘What’ Jack exclaimed to himself, shouldn’t they be sticking together, he didn’t follow Peter’s instruction, but he followed closely behind Peter, he wasn’t going to let him do this it was crazy.

“So what do you have planned for tonight?” Martha asked Tash.

“Nothing really, I’m actually going down to the surf club as well, Robbie’s already there and he promised to help Beth down there later” Tash explained to her.

“oh ok, well then I’ll see you down there later” Martha replied, Tash stood up from, the couch and made her way towards the door.

“I guess you will” Tash said as she opened the door and left the apartment. Martha smiled to herself, it was now around 8 o’clock, Martha had decided to go down a bit later, she knew Jack would still be at work.

She quickly jumped up and headed for the shower.

“Peter what are you doing” Jack spoke softly, he was following him, but he could feel his hands shaking, he had never been in a situation like this. Peter didn’t answer he just kept on going forward.

Jack was about to stop Peter before he had made a huge mistake, but he was distracted once Peter started to speak.

“There’s the entrance” Peter pointed out to the door.

“So what are we going to just enter with out guns pointed to god knows where” Jack said sarcastically.

“Constable this isn’t a joke” Peter pointed out seriously. Jack knew very well it wasn’t a joke, but Peter wasn’t acting any smarter.

Peter reached the door and began to open it, slowly and carefully.

“Peter don’t” Jack said to him, how were they expecting to get out alive. They both entered inside the warehouse, it was pretty empty, there were mostly boxes everywhere, surrounding the area. He looked up at the stairs.

“That way” Peter said, as he pointed out to the stairs, Jack could have turned around and walked away, he could have already been at home, but what Peter was doing was crazy and no one could stop him.

He reached another door, Jack reached out to stop him, he wasn’t sure they were going to find nothing here, what if the guys were waiting for them. But Peter escaped his grip, before Jack could stop him he entered. The next thing Jack saw was Peter fall down to the floor, he was hit by something, Jack had no idea what was going on.

He held tight onto his gun, not letting it go, now all he could see was Peter on the flopr

“Peter” he whispered.

He then looked up to see 2 guys holding their guns, both of them were pointing at Jack. He had no other choice but to put the gun down and follow their orders.

Chapter 30:

Jack looked around the warehouse, he could see 2 guys standing about 10 meters away, Peter was sitting next to him and they were both tied up to the chair, unable to escape. All Jack could think about was his friends and family, he wasn’t ready to die, his life had only started getting better, Martha was staying and now things could go back to normal. But now this, how were they going to get out of here alive. He took a look at Peter who was beside him, he looked distracted and worried.

“I told you this was a bad idea” Jack whispered to Peter so only he could hear, Jack was furious with Peter, how could he just risk their lives like that, he understood how long Peter had been working on the case, but doing this was crazy.

Peter didn’t reply, he realized what mistake he had made now, he was too caught up in catching the guy that he didn’t stop to think about what he was doing. He had now placed Jack’s and his own life in danger.

They had been sitting in the warehouse for over 10 minutes, but is seemed like ages, Jack wondered if the police station as going to cal their friends and family to tell them what was going on, he wanted them to, but he knew they would all be worried. He could just imagine his dad’s reaction.

“See that’s the guy” Peter said getting Jack’s attention. Jack looked over at the guy who was standing, he was quite tall and he had a gun in his hand, juts like his friend next to him, he could tell they weren’t friendly.

“What good does that do to us now, we can’t just get up and arrest them can we” Jack replied sarcastically. Peter gave him a glare and was about to speak but was distracted by the guy that was coming towards them.

“You two shut up” One of them said, he walked up to both of them, standing right in front of them.

“Josh didn’t pay you back so you decided to kill him” Peter said, he was determined to find out the truth, he hated the fact that his culprit was standing in front of him and he couldn’t do anything.

“Peter don’t” Jack said to him, he could see Peter getting angry and they weren’t in the best situation to be arguing with someone who had a gun.

“So what did you think detective, that you could just walk in here and arrest us” one of them laughed. He walked beside Jack and put the gun to his head. Jack could feel himself shaking, why was the gun aimed at him.

“Why him” Peter shouted at him, Peter too was scared Jack had done nothing wrong, he didn’t deserve to die.

“Not just yet” The other guy called out from where he was standing. The man put his gun back and walked away laughing, he was amused by both Peter and Jack, they were scared but couldn’t do anything.

Jack could feel his breathing getting faster and faster, that was so close, he thought to him self.

“Jack you alright mate” Peter asked, he could see the state Jack was in.

“What do you think” Jack spat out, he knew he shouldn’t be talking to Peter that way, but he couldn’t help it, he was almost shot before and it was all because of Peter.

“Listen, you need to calm down” Peter replied.

“How can I calm down, they both have guns it’s only a matter of minutes before they shoot us” Jack replied.

“I’ve got back up coming” Peter said. Jack froze and for the first time in 10minutes things started to look up.

“Really, how did you call them?, when are they coming?” Jack asked he was full of questions.

“Well as you ran out of the station into the car, I stopped and told Lara to send backup if we weren’t back in 30 minutes, I have told her where we will be located” Peter replied with a smile, he just hoped that they would hurry up.

Jack didn’t reply, 20 more minute she had to stay in this place, what if they took both him and Peter away somewhere, then no one could help them.

“I’m sure Lara will contact your dad and tell him what’s going on” Peter reassured him, he felt bad for what he had done.

“And what if no one comes in the next 20minutes, what if they shoot us before” Jack asked, he was starting to panic again.

“Let’s try not to think about it” Peter replied calmly.

“You two get a room” Lucas replied as him and Matilda joined Beth and Tony at a table. They were all sitting down at Noah’s having a drink. The other people that were also around were Tash, Alf and Robbie and they were having a friendly chat in the corner.

“What we weren’t doing anything” Beth pointed out.

“Yeah lucky me and Luc came in when we did, we wouldn’t like to see what was coming next” Matilda replied, all of them began to laugh.

They were distracted when Tony’s phone started to ring.

“Hello, Tony speaking” he said in a friendly voice, but soon the expression changed, when he noticed Lara was on the other side of the phone, he knew that was bad.

“What are you serious, when?” Tony asked into the phone, he was now standing up, he couldn’t believe this was happening, how could Jack be in this situation it wasn’t right most of all he was worried.

After Lara had explained everything, Tony replied back into the phone “Ok thank you for letting me know” as he hanged up the phone, he sat back down on the chair, looking down at the ground trying hard not to let everyone see his tears.

“Tony what’s wrong?” Beth asked worried.

“Dad, is everything ok?” Lucas asked, he was becoming worried as well.

Tony looked up at his youngest son, he could see the worried eyes, how was he possibly going to explain to Lucas and the rest of them, that Jack was being held hostage and they knew nothing about it, for all they knew he could already be dead.

“That was Lara on the phone….” Tony began to explain.

Archived