Plans Are Meant To Be Broken

Guest kase

Thanks for the comments, hope you like the update. :)

Part 22

Hunter House

“Knock knock,” someone said from the door. Matilda looked up and smiled. Robbie leant down and gave her a comforting hug. “How’s it feel to be back at home?” Matilda nodded, unconvincingly.

“Oh lots better,” she said. “Well, I only got back about an hour ago.”

“You really holding up okay?” He asked, sitting on the edge of Matilda and Lucas’ bed. She shrugged and looked down. He leant over and held her hands in his. “Hey,” he said, making her look up at him. “You’re going to get through this.”

“Thanks Robbie,” Matilda said weakly, tears almost welling up again.

“And look,” Robbie said, looking away slightly before looking her in the eye again. “I know that you blame Henry and Ric but they didn’t mean it Mattie.” She shook her head, trying to get the words out of her mind.

“It doesn’t matter that they didn’t mean it,” she cried. “I just can’t handle seeing them.

“Is that why you haven’t left this room since you’ve come home?” He asked softly. She nodded slowly. “Look Mattie, I don’t think you should be angry at Henry but just to let you know, Mum told me why she thought you weren’t coming outside, and he’ll be staying with me and Tash for the time being.”

“At Irene’s?” Matilda asked, confused.

“No,” Robbie said, smiling. “We’ve finally sorted out our finances and we’re moving into the flat above the diner. We only worked it out this morning. Anyway, this way, Henry can pull his weight and help us with Joey’s nappies.” Matilda couldn’t help the hurt that flashed across her eyes and Robbie immediately regretted his words. “Oh Mattie, I’m so sor –”

“No it’s okay,” she said, shrugging it off. “I’m okay.”

“One day sis,” he said softly. “When the time is right.” She nodded as he pulled her in for another hug.

Noah’s

Lucas ordered his fifth slab from the bar and before he could raise it to his lips he felt a gentle hand pull it down.

“I think you’ve had enough Lucas,” Martha said gently. She started her shift fifteen minutes ago and had noticed Lucas sitting alone in the bar. Lucas looked at her in confusion.

“I’m fine,” he said. “I haven’t had that much.”

“It’s not even six yet Lucas,” she said pointedly, and eyeing the empty bottles next to him. He sighed, defeated. “Shouldn’t you be at home with Mattie?”

“She wanted time alone to think,” Lucas said. Martha nodded understandingly.

“I think Matilda is going to need you most now,” she said. “And easing the pain with alcohol is not going to help. Even if you aren’t a light weight. You’re starting to do it just for the hell of it.” Lucas nodded, he knew she was right.

“Thanks,” he said. “I just, don’t know what to do anymore.” She reached over and squeezed his hand softly.

“Hang in there,” she said. “Both you and Mattie are strong.” He nodded sadly.

Hunter House

“You ready for dinner yet love?” Beth asked Matilda as she walked into the kitchen.

“I’m okay,” she said. “I’ll heat some up later when Lucas gets home. Has Henry left?”

“Yeah,” Tony answered. “He left with Robbie. You okay?” She nodded and headed towards her old room. Beth looked at Tony with concern, unable to imagine what Matilda was thinking.

Matilda laid down on her bed. Memories flashed into her head, most of them from last year. Henry’s revolting smell of body spray filled Matilda, saddening her. She had always complained about how much he used. Staring across the room she caught sight of the many cards she had pinned on her draw board. Birthdays, Christmas’, even Valentine’s Day cards. She caught sight of a bright blue one in the middle, it almost broke her heart. She climbed over her bed and took it down, it was from Ric. He had made it for her after the procedure last year. She looked at it sadly, her heart conflicted.

Noah’s

“Hey Mate,” Jack said, as he walked past Lucas. He sat down opposite him. “Shouldn’t you be at home?” Lucas rolled his eyes.

“Everyone keeps telling me that,” he muttered. “Matilda wanted time alone, I needed to be alone.”

“Hey, it’s alright,” Jack said, noticing Lucas’ irritation. “You doing okay?”

“As good as I can be expected to be I guess,” he said sadly. “I didn’t thank you for driving Tilly to the hospital that day.”

“It was lucky I came over,” Jack said. “But you don’t need to thank me.” He looked at his brother, feeling helpless that he could not ease his pain. “If there’s anything I can do, let me know okay?” Lucas nodded.

“Thanks,” he said. After a moment he said dryly, “You can get me another Heineken.” Jack laughed, getting up from the table.

“Alright then,” he said, patting him on the back.

Hunter House

“Please,” Ric said. “I just want to talk to her.” Beth was conflicted, unsure what to do.

“Just wait,” she said. She walked into Matilda’s room and knocked gently. “Sweetheart, Ric really wants to talk to you.” Matilda sighed.

“I can’t Mum,” she said.

“I know Sweetie,” Beth said, understandingly. “But you can’t cut him out forever. I’ll just go let him know.”

“Wait Mum,” Matilda said before Beth turned around. She climbed off the bed and walked to the front door.

“Hi,” he said, looking at her nervously. “Do you want to go talk?” Matilda nodded, walking out of the house. Ric looked at Beth, who continued to look tense.

Diner

“Hey,” Belle said, spotting Henry in a booth alone. She sat opposite him. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” he said. “Thanks. I moved upstairs.”

“Oh okay,” Belle said. “Matilda’s at home?” Henry nodded.

“She wouldn’t even come out of her room to see me,” he said.

“She’s just hurting,” Belle said, trying to make him feel better. “She’ll come around. You’re her twin.” He sighed. “Are you going to stay here all night?”

“Yeah,” he said flatly.

“How is Matilda,” she asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied. Belle sighed.

“Look Henry,” Belle said, getting up. “I think you want to be alone, so I’ll just leave you. But if you need, you know you can talk to me.” Henry watched her leave before calling out to her.

“Belle,” he said, as she walked back. “I don’t feel like talking. But I don’t want to look stupid here by myself brooding.” She smiled and sat back down.

“Well,” she said, pulling a magazine out of her bag and opening it before looking back up at him. “You just brood away.”

Beach

“Thanks for seeing me,” Ric said, still feeling awkward around Matilda. She looked at her feet. “I am so sorry Mattie, you know I didn’t mean for what happened.”

“I know Ric,” she cried. “I know.” She looked up at him. “But it still hurts so much.” She let out a sob and he pulled her close to him, wrapping his strong arms around her, trying to protect her from the world. She continued to weep in his arms, his t-shirt felt damp with her tears. He tried to hold her closer but was afraid he would hurt her.

“Hey,” he said. “It’s okay Mattie. Just let it out. It’ll be okay.” She continued to cry, despite being certain moments earlier that she had no tears left. Ric leaned down and kissed her head gently, still trying to console her.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part 23

Beach

“How can I be angry at someone who has been there for me even in moments I’ve been utterly alone?” Matilda said. Ric smiled at her. They had been sitting on the beach for a while, their shoes off with sand between their toes.

“Your family was mad at me for not telling them about the abortion,” he said.

“I know,” Matilda said. “But I’m glad you didn’t tell them, because I would not have been able to handle it.” Ric wrapped his arm around Matilda’s shoulder as she leaned against him and sighed.

“It’ll be okay Mattie,” he said. “You’ll get through this.” She nodded softly, closing her eyes as she felt the wind brush past her face.

Diner

“Do you think I should try and talk to her?” Henry asked. It was the first time either of them had said anything for a couple of hours. Belle looked up and him and pondered on it.

“I think you should wait a little while,” she said. “Give her space. Then try to talk to her, to let her know you haven’t given up.” Henry nodded.

“Thanks for staying with me,” he said. She smiled at him. “Even if I have been lousy company.”

“Oh it’s okay,” she said, looking at her magazine. “Scandalous Hollywood lives are ever-so interesting.” Henry laughed and held Belle’s gaze for a moment longer than he should have. She glanced down and up again, grinning also. He reached over and squeezed her hand, appreciating her company.

Hunter House

“Hi Mattie,” Tony said as she entered. Ric was behind her and he waved to Beth who only gave him a small smile.

“Hey,” she said. She turned to Ric. “Thanks for walking me, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” He gave her a small peck on the cheek, but noticed the way she flinched. He left after a last glance at Tony and Beth.

“Things went well then?” Beth asked. Matilda nodded.

“Is Luke back yet?” She asked, looking around.

“No actually,” Tony said. “I was just thinking he should be back by now.”

“Hmm,” Matilda said, before retreating into his room.

“I guess she doesn’t want dinner,” Beth said sadly.

“Well, she talked to Ric,” Tony said, rubbing her arm. “It’s something.”

Diner Flat

“Now I know the real reason why you wanted me over,” Henry said from the sink. Both his arms were under the pool of dirty water and dishes. Robbie looked up from the couch, Tasha had fallen asleep in his lap. He laughed.

“Oh come on,” Robbie said. “How do you expect me to get up and wake her when it is the most peaceful state I have seen her in, in months?” Henry could only groan in complaint. There was a knock at the door and Tasha stirred slightly. Robbie looked at Henry and grinned. “Henry?” He groaned louder, pulling his hands out of the water. Another knock came and Tasha moved again. “Soon please?”

“Alright!” Henry said, rushing to the door and swinging it open. “Kit!”

“Hello,” Kit said, surprised. She noticed his rolled up sleeves and his smell of cleaning liquid. “You’re doing chores for Robbie?”

“He is a slave-driver,” Henry said, giving her a hug with his wet hands. Kit laughed, struggling out of his grasp. “What are you doing here?” She walked in and placed her bag near the doorway, just as Tasha finally woke up.

“Kit!” She cried, as Kit went round to the couch and gave her friend a hug.

“I can see the baby is keeping you up,” she mused. “I’m on a break and I came to see Mattie. I was in the diner and heard you had moved up so I thought I’d pop in to see you and the baby first.”

“It’s great to have you back,” Robbie said softly, smiling.

“It’s great to be back,” she replied.

Noah’s

“I think you should come home mate,” Tony said to Lucas as he sat down across from him. Lucas looked morbid, he had not moved from his seat since about four in the afternoon.

“Mmm,” he muttered.

“Lucas I think you’ve had too much to drink,” Tony said.

“I’m fine dad,” Lucas said. “I haven’t done anything crazy.”

“No,” Tony said. “But you are a depressed drunk. You can’t drown your sorrows mate, Matilda needs you.”

“What about what I need?” Lucas said.

“Come on Lucas,” Tony tried to argue. “This isn’t like you. I know you are hurting but there are other ways of handling it.”

“Dad,” Lucas said. “I can’t be what Matilda wants me to be. I can’t fix everything. She’s better off getting her support elsewhere.” Tony sighed, there was no use arguing with Lucas in his state. He got up and pulled his son up, with no resistance.

“Come on,” Tony said. “Mattie is waiting.” The pair of them headed outside.

Cliff

Ric sat on the bonnet of his car, overlooking the waves. They were mere shadows in the evening, their shapes were different shades of black. In his hand a photograph of him and Matilda, two years ago. He smiled to himself, feeling immensely relieved that she had not cut him out. But a growling feeling in the pit of his stomach remained, it was keeping him awake. Belle’s words echoed in his head. He could not accept what she said yet he could not forget it either. He sighed, continuing to stare out as the evening air pressed against his cheek.

Hunter House

“Hey,” Lucas muttered as he clumsily fell into bed next to Matilda. He could tell she was not asleep so he did not worry about waking her.

“Are you drunk Lucas?” She asked quietly.

“Maybe,” he replied. He lay there next to her in silence before reaching out and holding her. She flinched at his touch but then slowly relaxed. “Are you mad?”

“No,” she said, honestly. “Just unsure about anything.” The pair of them continued to lay in silence, neither of them falling asleep.

“I love you,” Lucas whispered finally. Matilda closed her eyes and rolled over to face him.

“I love you too,” she said quietly. “Let’s get some sleep.” He pulled her closer to him and she felt his arm around her, and smelt the alcohol in his breath. They were the last details she remembered before falling asleep.

Okay well I noticed I had done a bit on the next part, so I thought I'd put it up anyway, so if it's kinda incomplete sounding - sorry! But more will be up soonish :)

Part 24

Hunter House

“Kit!” Matilda said, surprised as she entered the kitchen to find her sister sitting on the couch. “What? When did you get here?”

“Last night,” Kit said smiling. She stood up and gave Matilda a brief hug. “You okay Mattie?”

“Yeah,” Matilda said, knowing that everybody in the room knew it was a lie. Somehow it became easier to just say it. “How long are you here for?”

“I’m not sure,” Kit said. “A couple of weeks maybe.” Matilda nodded.

“It’s good to see you,” she said before Kit pulled her in for another hug.

Diner

“Hi,” Belle greeted Henry. He had a cup of coffee in front of him. “You’re up early.”

“Yeah,” Henry said, sighing. “Baby woes. You working now?”

“Yeah,” she replied, smiling wryly. “I start in about ten.”

“Well sit down,” he said. “I think I might go see Matilda today.”

“Yeah?” Belle asked, taking a seat. “Not too soon?”

“Not soon enough,” he said. “I just need to see her.” Belle nodded and smiled encouragingly.

“I hope it goes well,” she said. “But if it doesn’t then just remember what she is going through.”

“Yeah, thanks,” Henry said, smiling.

Beach

“This is what I miss most about the Bay,” Kit said, walking alongside Matilda and looking out to the water. Matilda smiled in agreement. “So what are you doing today?”

“I don’t know,” Matilda said. “Not sure when Lucas will be up, he had a rough night.”

“Bummer,” Kit said. After a pause she broke the silence. “Mattie, are you going to talk to Henry? I saw him last night and he is completely torn.” Matilda sighed.

“I don’t know,” she said. “I talked to Ric, and while I don’t hate him, it is still so hard being around him. I felt I owed it to him though. I couldn’t keep ignoring him.”

“Well Henry is family,” Kit said. “Don’t you think you owe it to him too? He and Ric did the same thing.”

“Yeah but Henry hasn’t been around enough,” Matilda said quietly. “Ric supported me last year when nobody did. And still, it hurts me so much and I still feel betrayed when I see him.” Matilda looked at Kit sadly. “I know it isn’t their fault, but it all just comes back.” Kit nodded and linked her arm through Matilda’s.

Outside (Surf Club)

Ric was walking to his car when he saw Belle sitting at the bench outside, taking a break from her shift. She smiled at him but he looked away.

“Ric,” she said. He looked at her. “How are you?”

“You don’t deserve to know,” he replied. “Thank you for your concern the other day, I needed someone to talk to. But it doesn’t change what you did.”

“Ric, you know I am sorry for that,” Belle said. “What I did was wrong, but I didn’t do it to hurt you.”

“Really? It seemed that way to me,” Ric said. “Sleeping around with someone I was fighting with. Kinda slutty, don’t you think? But should I have expected more?”

“Don’t you dare talk to her like that,” Henry yelled from behind him. Ric turned around to find him. “They were cheap shots anyway Ric.”

“Go away Henry,” Ric said. “If it weren’t for you, none of this would have happened.”

“As if,” Henry scoffed. “If you had paid more attention to her instead of chasing after my sister, maybe it would not have happened.”

“I don’t hear you complaining about what happened,” Ric said angrily.

“Well no, it was quite enjoyable actually,” Henry retorted. Ric charged forward at Henry, as his anger started to heighten.

“Just, stop it!” Belle shrieked. “You both just don’t learn.” She marched off towards the direction of the Diner. Henry continued to glare at Ric.

“I don’t know why you mean so much to Matilda,” Henry spat. Ric just shook his head.

“Just leave it Henry,” Ric said. “Maybe the reason is because I had to fill the empty position that you left.” Henry lunged at Ric, shoving hard him in the chest. Ric retaliated, pushing Henry harder.

“Hey! Hey! Hey!” Kit yelled, running up to them. They broke apart and caught sight of Matilda next to her. She had utter disgust in her eyes at the pair of them.

“I can’t believe you two,” she spat out before turning around and walking off. Kit had time to give them both a stern look, especially at Henry, before she followed her.

“Wait, Tilly!” Henry cried, but she was already gone.

Hunter House

“Lucas, are you up?” Tony asked, knocking on his door. He didn’t hear a response so he walked back into the living room and shrugged at Beth. “It’s twelve, should I be worried?”

“Let him sleep it off,” Beth said gently.

“Yeah,” he said. “You’re right.” Matilda and Kit walked in through the door, Tony ad Beth could see something was wrong. “What’s the matter?” Matilda sighed.

“Nothing,” she said. “It’s just nothing. Is Lucas awake?”

“No he is still asleep,” Beth said. “Kit?” Matilda walked into her old room, closing the door behind her. Kit sighed, looking at her mother resigned.

Matilda sat in front of her dresser, staring at the mirror. She felt disgusted, feelings that had settled a long time ago started to resurface. She looked away, unable to face her reflection anymore. She looked at the corner of the mirror, at the inscription and her heart tore. Opening the door, she went to find Lucas.

“You just missed him Mattie,” Tony said quietly, as Matilda headed to his room.

“What?” She asked, confused. “You said he was asleep.”

“He was,” Tony said. “He only just left, he didn’t say anything. He just looked like he needed some time alone.” Matilda nodded, opening the door and closing it behind her. Kit, Beth and Tony all exchanged looks of concern.

“Where is she?” Henry asked from the door, distracting the three of them from Matilda.

“Oh Henry,” Beth said. “Now is not a good time.”

“Mum,” Henry said. “I just want to explain.” Beth sighed.

“Not now sweetie,” Beth said, almost sadly.

Here's the update. I hope you like it! I promise there is one coming very very soon, it's almost finished. I'm just tired and need sleep! :P

Warning: May be offensive to some.

Part 25

Hunter House

Lucas crept quietly across his bedroom. His uncoordinated movements betraying him, as he accidentally stumbled over air. His breathing was heavy yet he tried to be silent. He reached his hands out to balance himself, making contact with the bed. He climbed into bed, trying to make as little impact as possible. He didn’t bother getting changed. Lucas lay on his side, he could see Matilda’s small body, she was huddled with her back to him. She lay still, unstirred. He did not dare touch her in fear he would disturb her peace. He sighed, his eyes dropping slowly as she disappeared from his sight.

Ric’s Car

Ric suddenly sprung awake, jerking out of his seat. He stared around him at the darkness, looking in front of him. His car clock read three am. He sighed, exhaustion overtaking him again. He started up his engine, and pulled his seatbelt on. What is wrong with me, he thought.

Hunter House

Matilda stood quietly in front of the bathroom mirror. She stood still. She could hear the birds chirping outside the window. She could feel the sun seeping in onto the tiles. She continued to stare, betrayal sprawled across her face. The glint of disgust apparent in her eyes. A rapid knock on the bathroom door startled her out of her trance.

“Hello?” She heard Kit’s voice. “Is that you Mattie?”

“Yes,” she replied. “I’m coming.”

Lucas groaned as luminous thudding noises entered into his head. Vibrating against his skull. No stirring or turning could prevent it, each movement of his adding more noise in his head. He opened his eyes to find himself in his bed, empty. Assuming he over-slept, Lucas simply closed his eyes and attempted to block out the world again.

Beach

“Mattie!” Ric cried as he caught sight of Matilda walking across the beach. She turned to look at him before continuing down the beach. He ran up next to her but she did not react in any way. “Mattie, please? I’m so sorry.” She continued to ignore him. “Please.” She turned and looked him in the eye.

“No Ric, please,” she said. “Just please don’t do this.” Ric stopped in torment as he let her walk on without him. Sighing, he turned and walked away.

Hunter House

Matilda opened the door of Lucas’ bedroom, to find his bed empty. It remained in the same state that she left it, minus his body. The covers were hanging over the edge of the bed, one of the pillows on the ground, the sheets coming off. She walked over and pulled the doona off, trying to straighten the sheets. When she pulled the doona back onto the bed she noticed an opened packet on the floor. She reached over to pick it up, and her heart ached as she realised what it was. Baby’s First Album. She felt tears welling up in her eyes as she collapsed onto the bed.

Beach

“I need to talk to her Kit,” Henry said. “I need to explain. To let her hear me out, and to apologise. You know, she has not spoken a word to me since she went to hospital.” Kit looked at Henry in pity, she had been so angry at him yesterday. Not only because of how much it hurt Matilda, but at how his stupidity could have cost him his last chance to reconcile with their sister.

“Henry,” she said. “Matilda needs stability. Don’t apologise unless you are certain something like yesterday will not happen again.”

“I am,” Henry said determinedly. He sighed, sadly. “She has to see me. I don’t know what I would do if she doesn’t, I really don’t.” Kit reached over and wrapped an arm around Henry’s shoulder as the pair of them walked on.

Noah’s

“Yeah, it’s a little sore,” Lucas said to Martha. “But hey, I’m stronger than that. Gimme a pint.” Martha looked at him sceptically and he laughed. “Come on Martha,” he joked. “You don’t think I’m that weak do you?”

“Of course I do,” she said, laughing hesitantly. She reached under her and grabbed a glass. “Just take it easy,” she added quietly.

Hunter House

Matilda heard the door creak open again as she felt Lucas enter the room. As he laid down beside her, she could smell the strong strength of alcohol in his breath. He pulled one arm around her, while he reached for the blanket.

“You’re home early,” she said, quietly. He looked confusedly at the clock. It was almost midnight and his insides churned with guilt.

“Yeah,” he said. “Sorry about last night.”

“It’s okay,” she replied, stoically. She leaned over and pressed hard against his lips, roughly separating them. Her tongue explored the insides of his mouth, even though the taste was starting to sicken her. She reached below the covers and into his pants, feeling him. Hastily unbuckling his belt, she climbed on top of him, desperate to have him inside of her. Lucas clutched Matilda’s waist uncomfortably, taken back by her initiative, yet aroused altogether. He let her move on top of him rapidly, attempting to finish quickly. His breath shortened rapidly and he moaned quietly in pleasure. Before he could stop himself, he peaked, her body sending him overboard. She fell off him, and lay next to him quietly.

Lucas reached over and stroked her hair. He turned around and slid his hand down her body, wanting to finish what she had started. As he leaned over to kiss her, he felt her pull back.

“Lucas, I’m tired,” she said quietly. “Maybe another night.” He nodded and kissed her on the cheek before wrapping his arms around her. She lay there in the dark, watching the clouds silently and gradually pass across the bright moon.

Hehe thanks you two! Glad you liked it. Hope you don't find the next part too confusing, I'm referring to the end. Don't jump to any drastic conclusions! It'll be clearer as the chapters go on.

I thought the story would be ending soon but it's still going, which is probably good news. I know what the ending will be like but getting there will take some more time, hehe.

Part 26

Hunter House

Lucas awoke hastily; he turned to find himself in an empty bed again. As last night came into his head he groaned with guilt. Matilda was not here and he had to go and find her. He looked at the clock, it was already twelve. He groaned again, he was already late for his class. In fact, he had missed his first two classes that day. With great difficulty, Lucas got out of bed and stumbled to his wardrobe.

Noah’s

“Mattie you can’t work,” Beth said. “It’s too soon.”

“It’s fine mum,” Matilda said.

“Oh Sweetheart,” Beth said. “You have just been out of hospital not even a week. Besides, you don’t need the money anymore.”

“Yes I do,” Matilda said flatly and sternly. “It’s my life and my decision.” Beth sighed, and did not attempt to stop Matilda walking around the counter.

Diner

Henry walked down the stairs to find Belle waitressing behind the counter. She had her hair pulled back and sweat beads on the top of her head. It was quiet but from the flushed look of her cheeks he could tell there was a rush earlier. He walked cautiously around the counter.

“You still mad at me?” Henry asked.

“Was I mad at you?” Belle said.

“Looked like it,” Henry replied. “I’m sorry about getting all agro on Ric.”

“Look Henry,” Belle said, looking him in the eyes. “I’m sure you feel worse about it. I think I’m just sick of it, along with everyone else in the town. Especially Matilda.” Henry sighed and nodded, knowing she was right.

Noah’s

“Tilly,” Lucas greeted. She had her back turned to him as she was collecting her possessions. Her shift was now over. She turned around and gave him a quick smile.

“Hi,” she said. “What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to talk,” Lucas said.

“Oh sure,” she replied, now signing the roster.

“Well,” Lucas said. “Should talk about it alone, if you have time.”

“Oh,” Matilda said, stopping and looking at him before looking back down. “Sorry but I don’t. I’m working now Lucas.” Beth had arrived to hear the exchange between the pair and looked between them.

“Actually Mattie,” Beth said. “Your shift has ended.”

“Yeah,” Matilda said. “But my shift ended fifteen minutes too late. So now I am late to my shift at the Gym. Sorry Luke, I’ll talk to you tonight okay?”

“Yeah,” Lucas replied. “Why are you working a double shift?”

“Because I signed up for them,” Matilda said obviously, before marching into the Gym.

“You two okay?” Beth asked, and Lucas nodded quietly. “Are you heading home now?”

“No,” he replied. “I might hang around here for a while, meet up with Jack.”

Gym

“Hey,” Henry said. Matilda looked up, and remained quiet. Henry looked at his shoes before directly in her eyes. “How are you?” Matilda looked at him, her heart breaking at the concern in his eyes.

“I’m okay,” she tried to say but it came out as a whisper, getting caught in her throat. She looked away from him, trying desperately to look everywhere else. Henry stepped around the counter and pulled her into his arms. She shook inside his grip, no longer hiding her sniffling.

“Please Henry,” Kim said, walking over and grabbing her bag from her locker. “Take her away from here. I’ve been telling her to go all day.” He nodded and reached over to take her bag from Kim. “Look after yourself Mattie.” Matilda looked back and nodded, smiling in appreciation while she wiped her tears hastily away.

Diner

“So tell me,” Irene said. “Is there a certain boy on your mind or are you just trying to get yourself fired?” Belle turned around to see Irene standing there, with one hand on her hip, and the other holding a milkshake.

“What did I do?” Belle asked, exasperatedly.

“You,” Irene said, then held out the milkshake. “Made the wrong flavour. Again. It’s the fourth time today Belle!” Belle laughed and took the milkshake, taking a sip from it.

“Well,” she said. “I don’t see why people have anything except for chocolate.”

“What’s eating you Belle,” Irene said, not buying any of her attitude.

“Nothing!” She cried. “Just, nothing.”

“Is it Henry?” Irene asked.

“What? No!” Belle said, outraged. “Just because I was cheating on Ric with Henry does not mean I’m into him. Yeah I was, but it was because I was jealous.”

“Is that right?” Irene asked sceptically.

“Believe what you want!” Belle said. “Henry was just a convenience.” She walked into the back room, giving Irene a defiant look on the way. Irene simply let out a laugh when Belle could not hear her.

Beach

“Remember when we were little and you cried so much because your dollhouse was broken, so Mum and Dad went out to buy you a dollhouse?” Henry asked Matilda. She nodded at him and smiled, looking down at her barefeet. “Well, you were so bluffing.”

“What?” Matilda asked, scoffing. “What do you mean?”

“What I mean is,” Henry said. “I knew you weren’t really upset. So I took a closer look at the dollhouse. There was no way it could’ve broken on it’s own.”

“What are you trying to suggest then?” Matilda asked, shocked by his accusation.

“You know, and don’t deny it,” Henry said. Matilda looked away, and then back at him with a look of pure triumph. Henry laughed. They sat in silence for a while. “But then, there was this other time. When you lost the mock beauty pageant in grade five against Cassandra. You made such a fuss about how you could not even care, when I knew you would cry yourself to sleep over it. And you did because I heard you.” Matilda looked at him, surprised.

“Well, why didn’t you comfort me then?” Matilda asked jokingly, feigning hurt. Henry laughed.

“I couldn’t let you lose the dignity you were so convinced you had in front of everyone.” Matilda laughed and nodded.

“Well thanks,” she said sarcastically, then laughing. Again they sat in silence, but not an awkward one. Matilda opened her mouth, but Henry got in first.

“You don’t need to say anything Matilda,” Henry said quietly. She looked at him. “You never do.” She nodded and smiled at him. “I’m sorry that I haven’t been here for you the last few years of your life. It doesn’t mean I know you any less, or love you any less.”

“I know,” she said quietly. He smiled down at her and looked out to the water, the second thing he missed the most about Summer Bay.

Noah’s

“Luke?” Lucas looked up and found Kit looking down on him. “What are you doing?”

“What does it look like,” he said dryly. She had asked the girl behind the counter how much he had had and he was already on his third slab in the same half an hour. She looked at him concerned.

“What’s going on?” She asked quietly.

“What do you think?” He spat. She looked stunned at his bitterness but did not take offence to it.

“Look Lucas,” she said. “I’ve been there. It doesn’t help, not in the long-run. You have so much going for you. And what’s more, you’re what Matilda is relying on to get you through.” Lucas let out a loud groan.

“Whatever,” Lucas said. “Matilda doesn’t need me.”

“Just snap out of it,” Kit cried angrily, slapping her hands on the table. “Don’t you dare chicken out like that and take the easy way out, or act as if you aren’t needed. Why don’t you just think about somebody other than yourself?” She reached over and grabbed the drink out of his hand. She walked over to the counter and gave it to the girl and said to her, “Don’t let him have anymore. My mother owns this place.” She walked back over to Lucas. “I’m going home to check on Mattie, because someone needs to.” She looked intensely at him before she walked out of the door.

Hunter House

Matilda sat at the family table, staring at the glass of water in front of her. She sat in the dark alone. The family had already gone to sleep. All of them asking if she was alright, all of them trying to pry into her mind. She sat still, the moonlight shone through the kitchen window, the dust flecks were seen floating around in the water. As she walked into the bedroom, she saw the bed was still made. Untouched. It was now two in the morning. Sitting on the bed, she reached over to the drawer and withdrew her packet of tablets. Sitting in silence, all she could hear was the silent ticking of the bedside clock. Every second eating away at her, until she could no longer take it anymore, she rushed out of her room.

Looking at the mirror again, she examined her face. She tried to search her own eyes, to find some familiarity, but everything she saw was foreign to her. She felt alienated in her own body. A part of her soul had been taken out. Slowly she turned on the tap, and popped open every single one of her pills. Dropping them, one by one, into the sink where they would be washed away by the streaming water.

Thanks for the mad reviews guys. I'm a bit behind in work so I'm sorry if it will be a while before the next update. But who knows, procrastinating is a wonderful thing. Or is it? :blink:

Hehe, anyway, here we go. Like I promised, more Mattie and Luke. Well, it's only Mattie and Luke. So sorry about the lack of Henryness which everybody seems to love! Hope you like it :)

Part 27

Hunter House

As she looked in the mirror, Matilda brushed on a subtle shade of green to her eye lids. She applied a line of black to the bottom of her eye lines, pulling the folds down so that she could do it with accuracy. She raised the eyelash curler to her lashes and pressed on them softly, afraid of crumpling them. With a final touch of black mascara, Matilda blinked once, twice, and again for good measure. She stared into those eyes, a wicked sense of self-assurance consumed her. She picked up her lipstick and smiled.

Beach

Feeling the icy sensations of water brushing on his feet, more and more each time the waves came in, Lucas opened his eyes to finding himself shutting them again in pain. He turned on his back and raised his hand to his eyes, trying to cover them from the sun but it was too bright, even this early. He groaned and rolled around again, his body sinking into the sand. Finally, he tried again, this time his eyes managed to succeed and adapt to the light of the new day.

Hunter House

She pulled a bottle of perfume towards her body. It was her favourite. She sprayed diligently on the right side of her neck, then again on the left, before lowering it again. The aroma filled the bathroom of wild roseberries, of intoxicated dreams of youth, of innocence. Matilda raised a hairbrush to her head and pulled down swiftly, taming her hair. With one long look at the mirror she smiled, turning to walk away.

Beach

He walked further along, until he got to a drink tap, bending over to take a sip. He dropped his shoes to the ground, his bare feet were starting to burn on the concrete. He pulled his head lower, with a swift movement he splashed some water into his hair, his body relieved at the coolness. He looked up and saw her approaching him. Lucas smiled. Matilda walked up to him, having spotted him. She looked him up and down, causing Lucas’ heart to drop. Guilt started to spread inside him, devouring his whole body. He searched her face for a reaction, but whatever anger or hurt she had he could not see.

“Big night huh?” She said casually. Lucas looked pained at her, he could see her charade.

“No Tilly,” he said quickly. “It wasn’t like that.”

“Hey it’s okay Luke,” she said, smiling. “You’re a free man, you can do as you like.” Lucas looked at her in confusion, at her attitude, at how placid she was. He wanted to reach out to her, to make her like she used to be. To make her be real.

“Tilly,” he started, reaching out for her. She laughed, almost jumping back.

“It’s okay Hun,” she said. “I’m off to the city anyway. Would like to do some shopping. I’ll see you at home tonight.” She smiled sweetly at him, despite his worried face. Then she added harshly, “Or not.” Lucas looked pained.

“Matilda,” he said. “I’m sorry, I just want to talk to you. Explain.”

“Okay,” she said. “How about later? I just have a couple of things to do. Besides, when we’re at home we can do more than just talk.” She winked at him, leaning up and kissing him on the cheek. Walking off, she left Lucas stunned. How had it come to this? He thought.

“Matilda,” he yelled out. He raced after her. “Tilly please.” She looked at him. “I don’t know what to do anymore, how to reach out. Just, please, just think about it. Think about us. I don’t know how long we can keep going like this.” His voice was desperate, for a moment he saw a look of vulnerability in her eyes. But in an instant it vanished, she nodded and walked off. Lucas watched her leave. He brushed his fingers through his hair in frustration; he picked up his shoes and walked home desolately.

Bus Stop

She sat on the bench, by herself. Nobody was around her, no cars or pedestrians. Her posture was perfect, her hair was tidy, her face radiated. Her right leg was crossed over her left. Her tight jeans fitted her legs perfectly. She kept her hands in her laps, clasping onto her clutch. The bus was sure to come soon. Which bus? She didn’t know. Where was she going? She didn’t even know either. What am I doing? She thought. How had it come to this?

Hunter House

He lay on his bed, staring, thinking. Breathing. Living. Was he really living? Lucas closed his eyes, but was not able to shut out the thoughts that kept circulating in his head. He wanted to lash out, he wanted to explode, he wanted to do anything that would make the thoughts just stop. He snapped, leaping out of his bed, he needed to do something, to go somewhere. He paused. Lucas met her eyes, as she stood so perfectly in the doorway. He could not help himself, he walked over to her and pulled her towards him, swept her small body off the ground. She held onto him tightly. When he let go he stared at her, raising a hand to her cheek, tracing her lips with his fingers.

“You don’t need this,” he said. “You look beautiful without the makeup.” She looked up at him, her eyes full of emotion. She leaned towards him and pulled his face down, kissing him hard. Pulling her body closer and closer to him, pressing against him. She pushed him back onto the bed as she started to undo his jeans. His buckle gave way, as did his pants. She climbed on top of him as he unzipped her jeans. In an instant they were trying to merge themselves into one another, Lucas lifted her off and pulled himself over her. He kissed her, holding onto her.

“Tilly,” he whispered. “I’m sorry I didn’t ask last time. If you were ready again, for this. If it is too soon.” She looked at him hard before pulling his head down, inviting him in. It was all the confirmation that he needed as he pulsated against her.

“I’m so sorry Matilda,” Lucas said. She was lying next to him, her hair spread out. He leaned over and pulled her closer to him. “These last few nights. I’m sorry about them. Especially not coming home last night.”

“It’s okay,” she said softly. “You’re here now.”

“But it’s not okay,” he said. “Look. The reason why I didn’t come home was because somewhere along the line last night I realised what a jerk I had become. I didn’t want to come home trashed again, I couldn’t do that to you again. I slept it off and I promised myself that we would work all of this out.” Matilda nodded, smiling at him. “I got caught up in my own emotions, in my own head. You were messed up and I was too. But I couldn’t be there for you because I just didn’t know how. And it made me feel like such a failure because at the time you needed me most, I couldn’t do anything to help you.”

“I just wanted you here with me,” Matilda said softly. “It was all I wanted.”

“I know that,” he said. “I know that now. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she said. He kissed her softly and she pulled away from him, turning herself over. He leaned over and wrapped his arms around her body, as he sighed into her skin. She lay there, thinking. A large weight had been lifted off his shoulders, and to a long extent she felt comforted by his revelation. Lucas closed his eyes, still holding onto her. Matilda could feel his arms on her skin, as she lay there awake, she could feel his breathing. She lay there. Hoping that the bond they had was not gone, and that it would grow again, as she lay there.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Shawty. Glad you liked them.

So sorry about the delay guys, but I finally got around to updating. Hopefully you haven't forgotten what's going on already, hehe. The end is pretty close, about two or three chapters away.

Hope you enjoy this one, sorry there's no Mattie/Henry interaction in it! Couldn't fit it in.

Part 28

Hunter House

“Mmm,” Matilda sighed, snuggling closer into the warm chest under her. As she turned, she awoke slowly, her eyelids lifting. She came face to face with Lucas. He smiled at her and raised on hand to stroke her cheek, she closed her eyes and smiled.

“Sleep well?” He asked gently and she nodded. He pulled her closer to him and she grabbed his light t-shirt, drawing him as close as she could, desperately trying to keep him where he belonged.

“What’s the time?” She asked, her voice still croaky.

“About eleven,” he said and she laughed. They had been in bed from midday yesterday. Since she had come home, they both had hid out. The rest of the family seemed to understand, they appeared only for toilet breaks or for food. He leaned over and kissed her lightly on the lips and she sighed happily. “I’ve got to get ready for class soon though, I’m on a verge of failing.”

“Oh okay,” Matilda said, looking both disappointed and concerned. Lucas walked over and pulled on a shirt.

“Do you want to have some breakfast?” He asked. Matilda nodded. He walked over and kissed her softly on the forehead but she had other intentions, reaching her hand behind his neck and pulling him forward. Soon enough, his shirt was discarded as the pair hungrily devoured each other.

Beach

“You alright there Ric?” Alf asked as Ric walked back towards his towel after a swim. He nodded.

“Yeah, fine,” he said. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“I just reckon I could tell when a chap has something on his mind,” Alf said, looking at him pointedly. When Ric did not say anything Alf took it onto himself to bring it up. “Has this got something to do with young Matilda?”

“What?” Ric said.

“You know,” Alf said. “You two seem to have had a falling out. And that spiff with Henry Hunter did not help.” Ric sighed.

“She’s got a lot on,” Ric said. “But I’m fine.”

“Well, I hope so,” Alf said, before turning back to the water. “But if you aren’t, I hope you work out what it is you need to do.” Ric looked sadly on, but nodded nonetheless.

Hunter House

“So it’s nice to see that you and Lucas have come out of your bubble,” Beth commented. “Not that it isn’t great to see you two happy again.”

“Yeah,” Tony said. “Lucas had a gigantic grin on his face when he left this morning.” Matilda smiled weakly, trying to blend into the conversation.

“You okay Love?” Beth asked.

“What?” Matilda asked, startled. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Oh okay,” Beth said, studying her daughter. “Well, eat up.” Matilda smiled again.

“Okay,” she said.

“I’m glad you and Henry are sorted too,” Beth added.

“Yeah,” Matilda said. “Me too. Will he be moving back in?”

“Good question,” Beth said. “It’s up to you I suppose. And him.” Matilda nodded, thinking to herself.

Diner

Belle glanced in the same direction for about the fifth time that minute. She let out an agitated sigh and walked towards the back and grabbed an order angrily.

“What on earth are you getting your knickers in a knot about?” Irene asked, seeing Belle’s mood.

“Nothing!” She snapped, walking out the front again. By this time, the scrag was about two inches closer to Henry than a moment ago. Belle eyed the pair and decided that she did not care. She walked over to another table and delivered their food, before almost colliding with the girl as she walked out.

“Oops!” She giggled. “Sorry.” Belle flashed her a forced smile. “Bye Henry!” She cried cheerily, before waving and leaving. Belle raised her eyebrows, walking over next to Henry to clear the table next to him.

“Picked up?” She asked, nonchalantly.

“Why, you jealous?” Henry asked, amused. Belle glared at him.

“Oh please,” she said. “Get over yourself.”

“Maybe you’re the one who needs to get over me,” Henry played along.

“Whatever Henry,” she said. “I’m not jealous. Besides,” she looked him up and down. “Been there, done that.” She walked off, leaving him smirking behind her.

Hunter House

“Hey,” Ric said. Matilda looked up from the couch. She walked over to him.

“Hi,” she replied.

“I’m sorry,” Ric said, looking down. Before he could continue, she stopped him.

“It’s over Ric,” she said. “I just, want to move on okay?” He nodded.

“Do you want to hang out?” He asked. She smiled.

“Sure,” she said. “Come in.” He followed her in. She sat herself gracefully on the couch and grabbed the crossword off the pillow, flashing him one of her gorgeous smiles. He laughed and sat down next to her.

“Okay,” she said, in an almost authoritarian state. “Six letters.” He up at her as she brushed her perfect hair across her shoulders. As she turned and saw him looking at her, he smiled. She grinned back, looking down at the crossword again.

Diner

“Hey,” Belle said. “What can I get you?”

“A piece of that chocolate cake thanks,” Lucas said politely. Belle bent over to retrieve it for him and as she placed it in a box she looked at him nervously.

“How’s Matilda?” Belle asked. Quickly adding, “If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Yeah good,” Lucas said. “It’s okay. She’s a lot better, not completely okay but getting there.” Belle nodded.

“That’s great Lucas,” she said sincerely. “Here you go. Enjoy.” She smiled.

“Thanks,” he said, smiling back. As he left she caught sight of Henry entering the diner again. She tried to pretend she didn’t care but he had already walked up to her grinning.

“So Ashleigh, you know? That girl I was talking to. She’s pretty nice,” he said. Belle raised her eyebrows.

“And I care?” She said.

“Of course you do,” he said. He leant over and whispered into her ear. “It’s okay, you are so much better where it counts.” She flushed and looked at him angrily.

“And where’s that?” She demanded.

“Oh, I think you know,” he said. Before walking upstairs.

“Jerk,” she muttered to herself.

Hunter House

Matilda was still staring at the clock before she heard footsteps from outside. She hurried to the door and saw it was Lucas before she froze. He had walked into the house so she waited a moment before walking out of his room.

“Oh hey,” she said. “When did you get home?” Lucas smiled at her.

“Oh just then,” he said.

“Oh cool,” she said, smiling. “Didn’t hear you.”

“I guess you must’ve been distracted,” he said, pulling her in for a kiss.

“Yeah,” she said. “What’s this?”

“Chocolate cake,” he grinned. “For you.”

“Great!” She exclaimed, before pulling him in for a more intense kiss. “But first, you need to accompany me to more urgent needs.” Lucas smiled as she pulled him back into his room.

Diner

Belle angrily pushed the mop across the stains. She was frustrated by being left to close up alone because Theresa was “sick”. Or maybe going out with her new boyfriend, Belle thought to herself.

“You still here?” A voice came from behind. She groaned before turning around to find him standing there.

“Why didn’t Irene ask you to work today?” she cried. He walked over and grinned.

“You’re cute when you’re angry,” he said.

“Right,” she said. “Do you say that to Ashleigh too?” Henry rolled his eyes.

“Oh please,” he said. “Anyone would think you really are jealous.”

“Whatever,” she muttered, turning her back to him to continue mopping. He pressed himself close to her, placing his hands on her waist, kissing her on the neck. She let out a breath, as he placed kisses down her shoulders. Her senses were on fire, as she closed her eyes.

“You want me so bad,” Henry whispered. Belle let out a gasp as he slowly slid his hands under the waistline of her jeans before she suddenly snapped out of her trance to turn around and push him back.

“What the hell,” she demanded. Henry smirked at her, his eyebrows raised. “As if. Just…as if you can control me,” she stuttered. “Or seduce me. Or whatever. Just, get over yourself Henry Hunter, you really need your ego deflated.”

“Right,” he said. “So explain why you were so jealous about Ashleigh. Why don’t you just admit it.”

“Why don’t you just stop being an arsehole,” Belle said.

“What do you want Belle? A wedding ring?” Henry asked.

“Yeah of course,” Belle said, rolling her eyes. “Come off it, as if I could give half a **** about only having sex for pleasure.”

“What’s the problem then?” He asked, causing Belle to give him an even deadlier stare. “Maybe if you think about it enough, this time you might want something more.”

“Right,” Belle scoffed. “Whatever Henry. I’m not into the whole commitment thing, I’m sure you know that well enough.”

“You were all for it with Ric,” Henry said. “Before you found out he wasn’t into it to begin with.” Belle let out a short laugh, shaking her head in disbelief. She pushed the mop into his hands and stalked out of the diner. Henry looked on after her, knowing he had pushed the wrong buttons.

Hunter House

“So I think I’ll ask Henry to move back in,” Matilda said. After a moment of silence she looked over at Lucas. “Lucas?” He was already asleep. She sighed, turning around to face him. He looked so peaceful, in another world. Her stomach lurched. She pushed her way into his body, hugging him tightly. He stirred.

“Sorry,” she whispered. “Lucas?”

“Mmm?” He mumbled.

“Did I wake you?” She asked. He blinked, shaking his head but then opening his eyes, taking in the surroundings.

“Yeah,” he said. “Sorry. It’s fine. Come here.” He pulled her closer but she had already started to move down his body, her hands travelling downwards. He moaned. “Til, what’s gotten into you?”

“Are you complaining?” Matilda whispered, though she felt mildly disappointment.

“No, no,” he said, closing his eyes again. “Just surprised. In a good way.” She leaned over him and kissed him fiercely on the lips, now that she had his full attention.

As the sun peaked through the windows, Matilda felt Lucas moving about in the room.

“Where are you going?”

“I have a shift,” Lucas replied.

“Cancel it,” she said. Lucas laughed.

“Not likely,” he said.

“Please,” she asked, playfully. He came over to the bed and kissed her gently.

“Sorry Tilly,” he said, and she smiled sadly. Before pulling him in closer for a more passionate kiss. “I’m going to be late!”

“It’ll be worth it,” Matilda said seductively, running her hands over his crotch.

“Sorry Matilda,” Lucas said, pulling back. Her heart sank. “I’ll make it up to you when I get home.”

“Okay,” she said quietly.

“Oh come on,” Lucas said, trying to cheer her up. “You’ve got me thinking about you all day now.” She smiled weakly at him as he pinched her nose and walked out, his face still apologetic. She reached over to her bag and pulled out a package, sighing and walking over to the door, turning back to observe how empty the room felt.

Thanks for the reviews everyone :)

Here's the next part. There's only one after that, followed by an epilogue. Hope you like it... :( I'm a bit worried about how I wrote it and if it makes sense. If not, I can explain :)

Part 29

Hunter House

Lucas walked briskly into the kitchen, trying to find one of his novels. He could not see it on the table and when he turned to leave he knocked the lid of the bin over. Reaching over to put it back on, a piece of paper caught his eye. Confused he looked at the prescription for Matilda’s pill, it had not been used yet. Suddenly he heard a loud smash in the bathroom. He quickly rushed over to find Matilda’s frail body crumpled against the wall as she wrapped her arms around her knees.

“Tilly, what’s wrong?” He asked, leaning over as her shoulders shook silently, her tears were flowing non-stop as she looked at him. She sobbed uncontrollably as he pulled her into his arms. “Come on, it’s okay. It’ll be alright.” Stroking her back, Lucas’ eyes fell on what mad been thrown. The toothbrush holder lay on the floor with the family’s toothbrushes scattered in every direction. Amongst them was a pregnancy test. Lucas pulled away from Matilda and leaned over to have a look. He looked at Matilda in question as she shook her head. Suddenly he felt his heart drop as he realised what Matilda was upset about. He shook his head in disbelief.

“No Lucas,” Matilda said, reaching out for him. He pulled away from her reach and looked down at the prescription.

“You’ve been trying to trick me,” Lucas said.

“No,” she cried. “It’s not like that Lucas, please – ”

“No Matilda,” Lucas said. “That’s what this is all about. I can’t believe…”

“I just wanted things back to how they were,” she cried. “I want us to be planning our lives together again. I want us to have a baby. I want you to stay with me.”

“What?” Lucas cried. “Of course I would have stayed with you anyway, baby or not.”

“How could I know that Lucas,” she whispered. “You were out all night, drinking, with who knows.” She let out a sob. “I just want things back.” Lucas shook his head.

“They were good,” he said angrily. “We were back on track. I thought we were. Or was this some game to you? See how many times you could get Lucas in bed? See how many times you could get Lucas to think you were genuinely with him out of love?”

“No,” she said. “Please, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“Tilly,” he croaked. “You tried to trap me.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, tears still flowing. “I’m so sorry.” Lucas put his hands over his face, unable to comprehend what was going through her mind.

“Look Matilda,” he said. “I just need some space.” He stood up, Matilda looking bewildered.

“No, don’t leave me Lucas,” she cried. “I love you, I don’t want us to end. Please Lucas.” Lucas looked pained, she was so distressed, and on the verge of hysterics.

“What’s going on?” Henry asked, appearing at the door. “I heard screaming. Mattie?” He saw her tear-strickened face. “What’s wrong?” He looked at Lucas, who could only shake his head. She was obviously not doing very well.

“I’m sorry Lucas,” she cried, sobbing. “I’m so sorry.” Lucas’ heart dropped at the sight of her.

“What on earth is going on?” Henry demanded, looking at the two, before rushing over the pull Matilda into his arms. Lucas closed his eyes, and sighed.

Gym

Sweat was dripping off Belle’s forehead as she continued to pound harder and harder. Each hit leaving a dull vibration throughout her body. Her breathing became harder and raspier, she knew she should stop but there was more she had to release. It wasn’t until someone was tugging at her arms that she snapped out of her concentration, turning around she saw Kim holding her back.

“Whoa Belle,” he said. “I think you should stop.” She let out a breath and wiped her sweat with her arm before nodding. She pulled off her gloves and grabbed the towel appreciatively.

“Thanks,” she said and he nodded.

On her way back from the changing rooms she caught sight of Ric waiting for her.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hi,” she replied, unsure of what to expect.

“You wanna grab a drink?” he asked. She raised her eyebrows.

“Sure,” she said, confused but relieved he was being nice.

“Come on,” he said. “My shout.”

Hunter House

Matilda heard the door open slowly, and she looked up to find Henry popping his head in.

“Hey,” he said gently. “Do you mind if I come in?” She shook her head and sat up in her bed. He closed the door behind him and took a seat at the foot of her bed. “Lucas has gone for a walk,” he added. Matilda nodded her head and sighed.

“Of course,” she said, sadly. “I wouldn’t want to be near me either.”

“Oh Tilly,” he said, sympathetically. “What’s happened to you?” She shook her head and squeezed her eyes shut.

“I don’t know,” she said weakly. “I just wanted him to stay with me, I need him.”

“No Matilda,” Henry said, pulling her chin up and looking her in the eyes. “You don’t. Lucas is great, but you don’t need him. You don’t need any man in order to live a happy and fulfilled life. You were the independent one of the two of us,” he said before chuckling. “You wanted to travel the world, you wanted to study in Europe, you wanted to experience Asia. You wanted a good job and I remember you saying there was no hell you would be a housewife before you reached forty.” He smiled gently. “All I wanted to do was pick up some beautiful rich girl and I’d be set for life.”

“Henry stop,” Matilda said, weakly.

“You aren’t the person I knew,” Henry said. “There’s nothing wrong with settling down, nothing wrong with starting a family early. But what you did to Lucas was wrong.”

“I know,” Matilda cried. “I know that, I wish I hadn’t done it. I just don’t know what’s happening anymore.” She looked at him, fearfully. “I don’t want to be this person anymore.” Henry nodded and pulled her into a hug.

“You don’t have to be,” Henry said. “I think you need some help Til. You’ve been through so much pain lately, and you’ve gone about coping with it the wrong way.” Matilda let out a sob. “It’s alright, it’s not all your fault. Maybe if Lucas had handled it better then you wouldn’t be like this,” he said, pulling back. “But he didn’t, and you didn’t. You’re both hurting. You both aren’t thinking straight. But you’ll get through it.” Matilda nodded.

“Thank you,” she whispered, leaning in and holding on closely to him.

Noah’s

“Why are you being so nice to me?” Belle asked, looking at Ric curiously. They had a couple of juices in front of them. Ric smiled.

“Would you rather I be an arsehole?” He asked, his eyebrows raised. She laughed. “I don’t know Belle. Maybe because I’m sick of this fighting between everyone.” She nodded.

“Yeah, tell me about it,” she said darkly.

“Look,” Ric said. “I was watching you beat the **** out of that bag before. And it really unsettled me to see you like that. I may not like what you did, but I don’t want to see you upset. And it’s obvious something is wrong.”

“So you wanted to see what was wrong?” Belle asked, sceptical.

“No,” Ric said. “I just wanted to see if you wanted a break. Seeing you like that made me think about how you were feeling, and whoever is making you feel that way. It’s made me think about if I ever made you feel that way. And it’s obvious I did, because you wouldn’t have done what you did unless I gave you a reason.”

Belle looked at him in surprise. “I’m sorry Belle.”

“Yeah,” she said. “Me too, Ric. What I did was inexcusable.”

“I know,” he said. “But I can see why you would do it. Maybe you were right to doubt how I felt about you. I didn’t give you much reassurance.”

“It’s okay,” she said. “I guess we just didn’t work.”

“I guess not,” he replied. The two sat in silence for a while until Ric got up to leave for work.

“Ric,” Belle said, as he was walking away. He turned to meet her eyes. “I hope you find what you’re looking for. And I hope you’re happy.” He smiled.

“Thanks,” he said. “What about you? Are you going to find happiness? You know what you want; I hope you get it to.” He left Belle sitting alone, pondering on his last words before she sighed, rolling her eyes.

Hunter House

“Henry?” Matilda asked gently. He was spread out on the end of her bed, staring at her ceiling.

“Mmm?” He asked.

“Do you want to move in?” She asked. She heard him sigh. He sat up and looked at her.

“I’m not sure Matilda,” he said. “I’m not sure I’ll be sticking around very long.”

“What?” she said, crestfallen.

“I’ll stay for you,” he said. “Until you’re on track again. But I just feel it’s time to move on.” She nodded.

“It’s okay,” she said. “You’ve helped me enough. As long as you keep in touch this time.” He smiled.

“It’s a deal,” he said.

Beach

“Someone looks a bit depressed,” Belle said, walking over to Lucas. He was staring out into the water, his head miles into the waves.

“Hi,” he said. She offered him a drink, which he gladly took.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“It’s a long story,” he said, solemnly.

“That’s alright,” she said. “I have a lot of time on my hands.” She looked at him and smiled and he smiled back, sighing.

Ric’s Car

“Do you think I’ve changed?” Matilda asked. The pair were sitting on top of Ric’s bonnet, overlooking the beach.

“We all have,” Ric said. “But you’ll always be the same Matilda to me.” She smiled at him and looked down.

“I miss you a lot Ric,” she said.

“I miss you too Mattie,” Ric replied. “More than you’d think.” Matilda looked at him sadly.

“I’m sorry,” she said.

“What for?” he asked.

“Everything,” she said. He laughed, pulling his arm around her shoulder. “For not being like we used to be. Thanks for seeing me today.”

“Don’t be silly,” he said. They sat in silence, watching the sun begin to fall. “Do you think things will work out with Lucas?” Matilda shrugged.

“I hope so,” she said. “But if they don’t, I’ll be okay. I was okay before him, I’ll be okay after him. It’s what Henry’s been saying.” Ric nodded. “But I hope I can be okay with him.”

“Things will work out Mattie,” Ric said, softly.

“Thanks Ric,” she whispered.

Beach

“You know she’s not thinking clearly right?” Belle asked. Lucas nodded. “Sounds like she’s just acting out of defence and survival.”

“Yeah,” he said. “It just hurts a lot that she tried to trap me. But it hurts more that she didn’t trust me enough to think I would stay with her.”

“Can you blame her?” Belle asked gently. “I mean, considering everything.”

“Nah,” Lucas said, sighing. “It makes it worse, knowing I contributed to it.” Belle let out a laugh.

“What about me?” she asked. “If it weren’t for me, I don’t think she would have miscarried.”

“Don’t carry that around with you,” Lucas said. “Everybody has some influence over what happened, but don’t go blaming yourself.” Belle sighed.

“You should talk to Matilda,” she said. “It’s getting dark.”

“Yeah,” Lucas replied. “Thanks for this.” She nodded at him and smiled.

Hunter House

“Hey,” Matilda said, smiling as Lucas came in. He smiled back at her.

“Hi,” he replied softly. “How are you?” She nodded.

“Better,” she said. She looked at him and looked away. “I’m so sorry Lucas.”

“No,” he said. “It’s fine. You’re going through a lot.”

“Yeah, and you,” she said. “But we’ll work this out. I might go see someone.”

“Really?” Lucas asked. She nodded.

“Maybe Rachel,” she replied. “I want to fix things.”

“That’s great Tilly,” he said. He looked at her. “You know I’m crazy about you right?” She nodded, sadly, knowing what was to come. “I just want you to get better.”

“I know,” she said, choking. “I’m crazy about you too.” He nodded.

“I’m sorry,” he said. She shook her head.

“It’s okay,” she said. “It’s for the best.”

“I’ll be waiting for you,” he said. “When you’re okay. I just can’t be another thing you need to worry about.” She looked at him torn.

“A part of me wants you so badly to stick by me,” she said. “But another part knows it’ll be better.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” he said. Pulling her closer. “I’ll still be here.” Matilda nodded, determined not to cry.

Thanks guys! I hope you like this next chapter. I actually changed the ending, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. It's a long one as its pretty much the end. There's only one more after this, but it'll be an epilogue thingy.

Part 30

Diner

Belle sighed exhaustingly. She had been on her feet for hours and her shift was not even half way through. She stood in front of the counter and took Alf’s order, her body working mechanically while her mind was not entirely there. A loud laugh caught her attention as she looked up to see Henry entering with Beth.

“Alright Mum, I’ll come over tonight,” Henry said, exasperated. “If it will get you off my back.”

“Good,” Beth said, defiantly. Henry laughed.

“Of course I was going to come over anyway,” Henry said. Belle went over to the coffee machine and started on Alf’s coffee, attempting to concentrate on what she was making in order to block out the Hunters conversation.

“We need to make the most of your presence, if you aren’t sticking around,” Beth commented. Belle turned around at the last comment, not sure if she had heard correctly.

“Belle, watch it!” Irene said, coming up behind her.

“Oh!” Belle exclaimed, turning off the espresso machine. She turned around to Alf and smiled weakly. “You like your coffee strong, right?”

Hunter House

“Seems like you are more on top of things,” Ric commented.

“Yeah,” Matilda said, smiling. Her head was supported by her right arm, as her body lay sprawled across her bed. “It’s been better. Things are getting better slowly, but it’s still happening.”

“You miss Lucas?” Ric asked.

“Mmm,” Matilda said, considering the question. “Yes and no. I miss him because I want to be with him. But I feel more independent without him.” Ric nodded, before pulling her into his arms.

“I’m so proud of you,” he said, as she chuckled.

Diner

Henry came around to the counter, just as Belle came out from back room. She avoided his eyes and leant over to clear the bench.

“So,” Belle started casually. “You’re leaving?” She looked up and him and he stared at her, leaving her feeling vulnerable.

“Yeah,” Henry said. “That’s the plan.”

“Oh okay,” Belle said, smiling. “So when did you decide this?”

“A couple of days ago really,” Henry said. Belle nodded, looking away and began rearranging notes on the bench.

“So, why the change of heart?” Belle asked, adding quickly, “I thought you were sticking around.” When Henry didn’t answer, Belle looked up at him. He was staring at her forcibly, his gaze strong.

“Well, Matilda has been getting help, she’s in good hands. We fixed things between us,” Henry answered, after a moment. “Besides, I would stay.” Belle continued to stare at him, not allowing herself to back down. “If there was something keeping me here.” After a moment Henry finally looked away. “I’m catching the first bus out.” He smiled at her, before handing over her money and walking back to join Beth. Belle stared after him, unsettled. She didn’t know whether it was because she did not want him to go, or if it was how scared she was to see that desperation in his eyes.

Caravan Park

“I’ll be two seconds,” Ric said, before rushing up the stairs.

“Sure,” Matilda called after him. She walked over to the couch and fell down softly onto it. She placed her beach bag on the cushion next to her and crossed her legs. After waiting for a few minutes, Matilda sighed, her eyes glazing over the various magazines in front of her. She reached over and pulled one towards her, causing an envelope to drop. Bending down, she couldn’t help but notice what was written in the letter.

“You ready?” A voice said from behind her, startling her. She turned around and Ric’s expression changed. “What’s that?” She looked down at the letter and looked back up at him.

“You tell me,” she said, walking over. Ric looked down, guilt plastered on his face.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier,” he said. “I’m not sure I’m even going. I only found out after all this stuff happened with you and Lucas.” Matilda remained silent, frowning.

“Ric,” she finally said. She looked up at him. “This is an amazing opportunity.”

“I know,” Ric said. “But like I said, I’m not sure I’m going.”

“Because of me?” Matilda asked incredulously. “You can’t give it up. It’s, it’s a fully paid for course, not to mention you might even start your own company.”

“Mattie,” Ric protested.

“This would really further your career,” she said, cutting him off. Ric sighed. She looked up at him. “I’ll miss you though.” Ric smiled at her sadly, before stroking her cheek gently.

“I’d miss you too,” Ric said.

Hunter House

“So where’s Tilly?” Henry asked Tony, as he sat lazily on the couch.

“She was heading to the beach with Ric,” he explained.

“Oh okay,” Henry said, flatly. Lucas looked at him, something about the tone of his voice unsettled Lucas.

“Problem?” he asked. Henry raised his eyebrows, and shook his head.

“Nope,” he replied. “Was just thinking.” Lucas looked agitated at Henry, before sighing and letting it go. He had been in a state of stupor for the last couple of days. Somehow, taking the noble route always left Lucas feeling an overdrive of self-pity.

“I’m going for a walk,” he stated, leaving the couch.

Beach

With that first crash of cool water splashing across her face, Matilda felt somewhat liberated and free. She exclaimed in glee as Ric splashed more water on her, fighting back. She laughed, uncontrollably. Her wet hair all over her face. Ric smiled at her, before letting out a laugh. They both fell about, laughing uncontrollably before they headed back for the beach. Ric noticed how sudden her face changed, as she looked down, pained.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, lightly. She shook her head.

“I’m just going to miss this,” she said. “I know we haven’t spent that much time together since the pregnancy but I’ll really miss you. We were practically inseparable, you know?” She sighed, sadly. “God, listen to me. I said I didn’t want you feeling guilty about leaving, but I’m serving up the biggest guilt trip ever.” She laughed nervously, looking at him for a reply. “That bad?” She asked, noticing his solid face.

“Come with me,” he said, simply.

“What?” Matilda asked, caught off guard.

“Transfer to Melbourne,” Ric said. “We could share an apartment together.” He smiled, “We could be roomies.” Matilda looked at him, letting out an incredulous laugh.

“You’re kidding?” she exclaimed.

“No,” Ric said, but then let out a laugh. “I might as well be, it is a pretty full on idea.” He smiled at her. “Would’ve been fun though.” After a moment of silence Matilda let out another laugh.

“Alright then,” she said, brightly. “Let’s do it!”

“What?” Ric asked, it was his turn to be surprise.

“You heard me,” Matilda exclaimed. “Why not? Henry’s leaving, I’m not enrolled at Uni at the moment. Besides, how will I get by without my childhood bosom buddy?” Ric laughed.

“You’re serious?” he asked, still not convinced.

“Of course!” she shrieked, jumping into his arms, ecstatic as they both laughed uncontrollably.

“I think we’ve gone mad,” Ric said, as he let her go. Matilda smiled widely at him, nodding all the more deliriously.

Noah’s

Belle walked into the Surf Club, towards the bar. Taking a seat, she sat idly by herself. A cackle from the other side of the room caught her attention. Robbie was making odd, yet very normal Robbie-like faces at Josephine.

“Don’t cha love Daddio?” Robbie cooed, “Yes you do, Joey, yes you do!” Belle sighed, images of Henry and Josephine down at the beach flashed across her mind. Her stomach lurched, how did she end up feeling this way, again? Past mistakes, bad habits, everything that love and lust entailed. She let out a breath angrily, she was determined not to fall in that trap again.

Hunter House

“Melbourne?” Beth asked, surprised.

“Yeah,” Matilda said. “I mean, I think it’ll be a good change. At first it was just an idea. But the more I think about it, the more I like it.” Beth and Tony looked at each other, while Lucas and Henry sat in silence. “I need this.”

“Well,” Beth said. “I will support you. But I still won’t get used to you not being here anymore.” Matilda smiled.

“Relax Mum,” she said. “I’ll be back. Besides, Henry’s taking off again pretty soon. And Scott’s gone.”

“Aw, I know, all the more reason to not want you to go” Beth said. “It’s not very easy. Come here my baby girl.” She pulled Matilda into a tight hug.

“You look after her mate,” Tony added to Ric, who smiled back.

“I sure will,” he replied. Lucas continued to look at his feet, not trusting himself to say or do anything, in fear it will cause retribution. He watched her gleefully break the news to her family, chat happily about her future plans, he watched her drift away. She looked at him, nervously, smiling weakly. All he could do was smile back, because to do anything less would break their already dying relationship.

Henry sat, staring into the garden. He heard footsteps behind him, gentle, afraid to break a heartbeat.

“Why haven’t you said anything yet?” Matilda asked him, sitting down next to him. Henry continued to stare, before turning around and looking at her.

“He is in love with you,” Henry stated. Matilda sighed.

“Henry,” she started. “You’re the one who said I shouldn’t need a man, and that I didn’t need Lucas anymore.”

“No,” Henry objected. “Not Lucas. Ric.”

“Please don’t do this Henry,” she said. “We’re just friends.”

“Is that all he wants?” Henry asked.

“Yes,” she said. He stared at her.

“Think about it Mattie,” he said. “If you have any doubt that that’s all he feels for you, is it worth the risk?”

“Nothing will ever happen between us,” Matilda said. “He just sees me as a friend.”

“Just don’t get hurt,” Henry said. “And don’t deny what you know is true.” Matilda looked down, torn as Henry walked back inside.

Wharf

The sun began to peak above the stillness of the calm water. Lucas sat on the edge of the pier, staring blankly at the small boats sailing away. Each one that left took a little part of him with it. He heard footsteps behind him and he looked up to see Belle approaching him. Somehow when she smiled, he felt comforted by a sense of understanding. Of familiarity. The two sat in silence, watching them sail away. Taking comfort in the fact that they were not alone.

“Do you let them go?” Belle asked softly. Lucas looked at her and back towards the water again. Neither had an answer that would ever be right. As the sun crept up ever more slightly, one of them got up to leave. The other left behind.

Bus Stop

Matilda sighed as Henry wrapped his arms around her.

“Look after yourself,” she said.

“Always have,” Henry said. He pulled back and smiled at her, before his face became stern again. “Think about what I said.” She looked down.

“I don’t want to,” she muttered. Henry chuckled.

“You’ll be right Tilly,” he said. “You’ll know what to do.” She pulled him back for another hug.

“I’ll miss you so much,” she said.

“Me too,” he replied. “Now go. I hate long goodbyes.” Matilda smiled as she nodded. She walked away from him, turning back and blowing him a small kiss and a wave. He watched as she made her way back to the car, before he turned and looked around, searching for something. For a reason to stay. Sighing, he accepted there never would be one, as the bus approached him.

Outside (Surf Club)

“Howdy,” Ric greeted Matilda as she slid onto his bonnet.

“Howdy yourself,” she said, smiling at him.

“You okay?” he asked. She shrugged. He slid his arm around her, rubbing her shoulder. “You can visit him, and he’ll be able to visit you too.” She nodded, turning to look at him. He gazed into her eyes, and pinched her nose. She turned away and laughed. Looking back at him again, stared intently at him, not breaking the contact. Ric smiled back, taking his arm away from her.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Nothing,” she said, shaking her head. Ric jumped off the bonnet and stood in front of her, forcing her to look into his eyes.

“I’m scared that one day we’ll never have this connection,” he said. She looked at him, puzzled. “It’s one of the biggest fears I have. Maybe I’m a bit selfish for wanting to hold onto it so much, maybe in hope it’ll get stronger. I don’t want to be the one from dragging you away from the things and the people you love Mattie.” Matilda looked at him, sadness filling her eyes. “Not if you don’t think it’ll be worth it in the end.”

“I don’t know what to do,” she said, defeated.

“You’ll know,” Ric said. “It’s your decision, and I will accept whichever one you make.”

Bus Stop

Having had his baggage loaded, Henry took a moment to glance around again at the parking lot. He nodded, acceptance overwhelming him. Before he had taken his first step onto the coach, a small figure caught his eye. He stopped and turned in her direction. She kept walking at the same pace until she stood in front of him. Her hair tied back in a loose ponytail, her black necklace tied around her neck, with her hands falling nervously, one next to her bag. Her brown eyes blazing, before he could say anything, she stopped him.

“You want a reason to stay?” She asked.

“Are you giving me one?” He asked, smiling. She shook her head.

“I can’t,” she said, his smile faded. “I’m sorry.” He nodded, and before she could continue he pulled her in for a hug. As he pulled away he smiled at her sadly, turning away. Belle took a breath. “Henry,” she cried. He turned back at her. “I can’t give you a reason to stay. But I don’t have one either.”

“Sorry?” he asked. Belle looked away, and back again.

“I don’t have a reason to stay either,” she said, calmly, though she could feel her hands shaking. “I’m getting on that bus.” She smiled weakly at him before she felt his lips interlocking with hers. Their tongues dances in reunion, as their hands travelled through each other’s hair. Henry let her go, and cupped her face in his hands, pulling her forehead to his. She pulled his body closer to her, as he stroked her face passionately. He smiled at her, kissing her gently.

“It’s okay,” he said. “Don’t feel so down on yourself. I wouldn’t be able to stay away from me neither.” She let out a scoff, pushing him away from her. Laughing, he pulled her towards him again, forcing his mouth onto hers, devouring her everything.

Wharf

“I knew you’d be here,” Lucas heard her say. He looked up to see Matilda standing over him, gazing out into the water. “I’ll miss this place. It means a lot to me.” Lucas looked down, pained. He stood up next to her and looked her in the eye.

“I’ll miss you,” he said. She nodded at him.

“I’ll miss you too,” she replied. “I really will.”

“I wish things could have been different,” Lucas said. “To be honest, I don’t want you to go.” Matilda looked down, guilt consuming her.

“I know Lucas,” she said.

“I love you,” Lucas said, knowing that it was all he could ever say. Matilda looked away, tears welling up in her eyes. “Tilly,” he said, stroking her face. “I need you.”

“Luke please,” she begged, her eyes stinging. “I can’t do this.” Lucas pulled his hands over her cheeks, and cupped her face. He wiped a tear out of her eye and stared at her intensely.

“I love you,” he said assertively. “I know you have things to work out, but I’ll wait.” Matilda let out a small sniffle. “I love you enough to wait for you, to be here to support you.” She smiled weakly at him. “But do you feel enough love to stay and make this work?” When she didn’t answer, he pulled her in for a searing kiss, his heart racing, fearing it would be the last time he would be able to hold her like this. When he pulled away, he held onto her gaze. He tried to read her, to read how she felt. She reached over and wiped a tear from his cheek and looked at him torn, yet somehow he knew she had already decided. He nodded slowly, in sad acceptance.

Thanks for that feedback you three, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Here's the Epilogue...It's a little different and I'm really worried about it, but *crosses fingers* that you like it anyway! Sorry if its too unusual, I just had to find a way to wrap it up.

Epilogue

The train bumped noisily as it rode across the country tracks, sending uneven jolts throughout Matilda’s body. I love economy class, she thought dryly to herself.

“Urgh!” she said, as her bag fell off the empty seat next to her and the contents fell onto the floor. Bending over, she tried to shove everything back into her bag; her wallet, keys, lip conditioner. Pulling them into her bag, she noticed that her locket had come undone and the photograph had fallen out. She fell onto the floor, trying to find it. Spreading her arm across the bottom of the seat in front of her she grabbed it, fixing it back into the pendant. She smiled at the photograph, feeling nostalgic. Memories flooded back to her, as she leant her head back onto the headrest of the seat.

…She smiled as she felt his gentle hands lifting her hair up, and pulling the necklace around her neck. He let her hair fall loosely around it as he walked over to sit in front of her. She felt tears welling up in her eyes as she looked at it.

“It’s beautiful Ric,” she whispered, trying to stop herself from crying. “Thank you.”

“It’s alright,” he replied. She continued to look at the photograph, taken when they were first in the Bay. “Here,” he said. He reached over and pulled on it gently, revealing another compartment. “For whoever your heart is with.” He smiled gently at her. She smiled widely at him, pulling him in for a hug.

“Thank you so much,” she said. She looked down at the locket, another time, her heart floating at the words underneath. Engraved into the gold were the simple words, ‘Never forget.’ At this stage, Matilda was really starting to hate goodbyes.

As she stared at the writing, her heart damped slightly. Sometimes she wished that she could go back in time, and relive great years. Life now was an adventure. She was twenty-two years old. She missed Ric dearly, but who could blame her after spending three years living together. She sighed and flipped the frame that was holding the photograph of her and Ric in it. She stared at the second photo. She smiled at his gentle smile, his modesty. At the intensity in his eyes, that was somehow captured by this single photograph.

…Her heart fluttered, staring into those eyes. Yet his soul was aching at her touch. She smiled gently at him, reaching her hand over and wiping away his tears. He nodded at her, heartbroken, his head bowed in defeat. She cupped his face and raised it up, smiling at him.

“I feel more love than you could imagine,” she whispered. “But it’s enough for us to work, even if I do leave. It’s strong enough to reignite when we’ve done what we need to do.” Lucas looked away, not able to comprehend or believe in her words. “We have different plans Lucas, and one day they’ll fit together.” Lucas pulled back, and let out a sharp breath, frustrated.

“But plans are meant to be broken Matilda,” he cried fiercely. “That’s what love does; it muddles up all your plans, and makes plans of its own.” Matilda looked at him sadly, before kissing him gently on the lips.

“Not today Lucas,” she said quietly. “Just not today”…

Matilda let out a small sigh, her heart hurting as she thought of Lucas. Her first love, and in her mind, he’d be her only one. As she put her bag down, she caught sight of an envelope sticking out. She scowled, it was from Henry, and once again she could assume would be entertaining her on the delights of having an overprotective brother. She loved him really, and wished she could see him more often. But sometimes he came across too overbearing, but she knew, smiling, that that’s what family does to you, especially because they were always right.

…Henry yawned, throwing a cushion at Matilda and hitting her in the face.

“Hey!” she cried. “If this is the reception I get for visiting, maybe I might rethink how regular this occurrence will become.” Henry let out a laugh.

“Oh stop being so uptight Tilly,” he said. “Besides, you haven’t told me what I want to know yet.”

“Oh yeah,” she said, scowling. “What’s that?” Henry rolled his eyes and sat up on his bed.

“Whether you’re in love with your childhood chum,” he said. “Or your high school heartthrob.” Matilda rolled her eyes.

“Oh please,” she said. “As if you don’t ask me that and as if I haven’t replied to it before.”

“Well, from where I’m standing it’s a bit hard to tell at times,” Henry said. “You claim to love Lucas, but you haven’t seen him in exactly how long?” Before Matilda could answer he pressed on, “and while you and Ric are “platonic buddies” you can’t deny your connection.”

“You know what happened with Lucas, and you know how he feels,” she said. “And you know damn well how I don’t feel about Ric.”

“I’m just saying,” Henry said, raising his arms in defence. “Lucas may not handle a long distance relationship very well but he is still a morbid little **** whenever I see him.”

“I can’t help that,” Matilda said, stubbornly. “It’s his derogative if he does not feel strongly enough to want to be with me.”

“Gee Tilly, you are thick,” Henry said, receiving a glare from his sister. “Just swallow your pride and go be with him.”

“But,” Matilda protested.

“But what?” Henry challenged. “But you’ve finished your degree, you’ve been to England and Italy, do you need to find yourself anymore?” Matilda sighed, throwing a pillow back into his face.

“Whatever!” she cried, not wanting anymore of this from her know-it-all brother…

At the end of the day, her know-it-all brother did know-it-all. Of course, unless it came to his own relationship of course. He and Belle have been on and off so many times since they left the Bay, she wondered why they kept going back. Somehow they seemed to find one another again, one of them surrendering their stubbornness for the other. She sighed, and pulled out the envelope from Henry, skimming her eyes down the letter. She frowned in confusion and surprise before smiling, as she read his word. Do you think this will make her stop arguing with me? he had written, and underneath a photograph of an expensive diamond ring. She let out a laugh, somehow it made sense. She knew that while Belle and Henry sometimes fought like mad, but behind it all, he had never been so connected with anyone else and he really did love her to pieces. Matilda smiled at the way that Henry seemed to be in control of everything, sometimes even of her life. She missed her brother, and now she did not even have Ric.

…Matilda looked at him, worry across her face.

“What are you trying to say?” she asked him.

“I feel like I’ve tried to hold on to you too much Mattie,” Ric said, not meeting her eyes. “You’ve always been like a sister to me. You’re the first family I’ve ever had, I guess I didn’t want to let you go because I didn’t want to go back to how my life was before you.” Matilda nodded, but was still confused.

“But what?” she asked. “You don’t want to be friends anymore?” She let out a laugh. He shook his head and sighed.

“No Mattie,” he said. “I just feel it’s time we moved on. We’ll always be best friends, but you know where you should be. And you should go. The doubts that you had leaving were always there, but I would always make them seem bigger and worse, and I’m sorry for that. I should have been looking out for you, rather than myself.”

“No Ric,” Matilda said, holding his hand in hers. “You’ve always looked after me. You’re right, I know I should go, but you’ve never let me down and it’s why I don’t ever want to leave you. I’ve been too scared all this time to go home, but it hasn’t been because of you. I just don’t want to be hurt.” Ric looked at her and smiled.

“You won’t be,” he said. He leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. “He loves you. Go back when you're ready”…

Matilda’s stomach churned in hunger as the train started to pull in. Henry had told her, Ric had told her, but she would always doubt whether or not Lucas was truly in love with her. Not after all those years, in the time she tried to reach out to him, he would pull away. Matilda left her seat and stepped outside the carriage, it was the interchange in Albury before the train went north. She was expecting her Mum and Tony to be greeting her before she headed towards Brisbane yet she could not spot them anywhere. Deciding that she needed some food, Matilda made her way to the twenty-four-hour kiosk, and hopefully to find a payphone. When nobody picked up at home she thought maybe they were running late but by the time the warning whistle was blown, Matilda knew she had to make her way back. Not realising how much she missed her family until gentle reminders such as these, Matilda promised to visit Summer Bay after her short course. Somehow though, Matilda knew that her fears would prevent her from visiting once again. Heading back onto her carriage, she heard her name being called out.

“Matilda!” She looked around to see him running up to her, and her heart stopped. She looked at him in confusion as he stood over her, his hands grasping her shoulders instinctively.

“Lucas!” she said. “Where are Mum and Tony?”

“They aren’t here,” he said. “I wanted to come and see you instead.”

“Well it’s great you’re here,” Matilda said, smiling. Before she could stop herself, she started rambling. “I haven’t seen you in ages. But I have to board really soon. Thanks for coming though.”

“Tilly, I want to be with you,” he stated.

“What?” she cried, taken back. “I mean, really?”

“Yeah,” he said. “I’m sorry that I let distance come between us, I really am. But I have never been with anyone in the time you’ve been away.” Matilda let out a breath of relief, and of happiness.

“You really want to try this?” She asked again.

“Yeah,” he said, smiling. “I do.” He brushed away a strand of hair. “When you get back from Brisbane I want you to come back home. I’ll be waiting.” Matilda looked at him incredulously. She wrapped her hand around his neck and pulled in him forcefully, his lips colliding onto hers. He could feel his familiar breath, as their tongues reunited. When the whistle blew again, Matilda pulled back and laughed. Lucas waved at her as she walked back onto the carriage and he turned away, happily. Walking back to his car he heard a faint cry from behind him.

“You making me walk?!” Lucas turned to see Matilda walking towards him, rolling her suitcase by her side and with her carry bag in the other hand.

“What are you doing?” Lucas asked.

“The course will always be there,” Matilda replied, smiling. “You may not be.”

“I said I’d wait for you this time,” he said, smiling at her.

“It’s not worth the risk,” she said, smiling. “Besides, love has plans of its own.” Lucas let out a small laugh before pulling her small body into his, holding the back of her hair steadily in his palm. They broke away, smiling at each other before Lucas leant over and kissed her softly on the lips once more.

The End

comments

Archived