Apple Mac

Guest MarMar

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a (very cheap and old) G3 iMac. It's running OS 8.6, so to upgrade I'd need more memory/RAM right? How do I do that? Can I actually do that? Because I think it is quite old...

The main reason I bought it was so that I could sync it with my iPod as itunes is slowly taking over everything on my laptop. And I was hoping to add a few graphics programmes on there for my photo's. My aunt is a graphic designer and highly recommended them for graphics. How is a mac different from a PC in that respect?

Sorry, but I've never had a mac before... it plays Cd's and stuff, but I have no idea if it has a CD writer or what? It can't play DVD's as I tried and said it didn't support that kind of media... I have no idea... I finally suss out the ins and outs of a PC and I go and complicate it by buying a mac...

if someone could help with anything, I would be very very very grateful :wink:

Macs are brilliant for Graphics because they are very powerful. My dad is a Graphic Designer aswell, and he has used one all the time.

PC's are generally slower than Macs, that's why graphics programmes are good on Mac. :)

^ Thanks Cal :)

A G3 can get OSX, but until I know what specs your computer has I cannot help you.

Sorry Elise, that was really naive of me to forget to write the specs.

It's a Blueberry G3 running OS 8.6

333 MHZ

160MB RAM

6GB Hardrive

There aren't any other programmes loaded on there, I'm not even sure if I can connect to the internet on it. I had a play around and all there is, is the very very basics.

I've been looking at purchasing Panther for the upgrade which requires 128 MB Ram. I read a bit about it on the apple website and it says I may need to install a firmware update? I am very confused and my friend the expert... turns out they know just as much as I do about Macs...

You might be able to get Panther, but you need at least OSX.1, you should be able to download it from apple.com.

Seeing as it is only 333MHZ, you won't get too much out of it, however, my ex had one similar, and he got Jaguar (the one before panther) and used the internet and the standard applications with no troubles.

It's really really basic, so you might not be able to get fancy stuff, but it is definitely a good beginner.

To put it into perspective here are my Mac specs....

PowerBook G4

1.25GHz

512mb RAM (I need more, but too cheap to buy more)

80GB hard drive

I'm also using OSX.4.9 (Tiger) and will soon upgrade to Leopard (when it eventually comes out)

BTW: Most ISPs require at least OS8.6 for their software, so you are pretty safe in that respects, but your apps are pretty limited, as you only really have 6GB of hard disk space, and some of it is taken by the OS you are currently running.

You should be fine for OSX basic, so then you can get iTunes and sync it with the iPod with relatively no problems. But first things first, upgrade the RAM, you can go to the nearest Apple store to obtain it, but I do warn you, they would be hard to get for those machines these days and if you are lucky enough to score one, it might cost a bit.

Hope that all helps. :)

ETA: Your comp won't have a burner, yours is the same as my ex's, and he was always on my computer to burn stuff, as he couldn't on his. I think it only plays CD's, but you can tell if it does or doesn't by inserting a DVD, it won't wreck it, it will tell you capability.

ETA2: You can download the required firmware update on Apple.com. Most of the time you'll find all software and upgrades on that. :)

Thank you so much Elise, that really helped! I feel so educated now... :P

I checked out some computer stores today for the extra RAM. By the prices I definitley will have to wait till my pay day till I can get it. But when I do, I'll let you know how it all goes. I've seen the sneak peak of leopard on the apple website and it looks very very cool!

Thanks again for your advice! :D

Thank GOD Cal! :D

I have been waiting for this damn operating system for ages now! I was wondering when, I looked around everywhere and last I heard, no official date had been announced.

June looks good to me, although not quick enough!! :D

And Adia, you're quite welcome! If you need anymore help, either post in this thread, or you can PM me, and I'll help you as much as I am able. :)

Archived