Apple Mac

Guest MarMar

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Elise and Cal F have Macs, but I was wondering if anyone else are as Mac-crazy as I am?

I own a iBook 12" and am really satisfied with it. Now, for the question:

Is it "worth it" to buy .Mac? I have a domain, and was wondering if I can "transfer" it to the new .mac-domain? Also, what else is there to do with a .Mac subscription? I have looked around on the .Mac-site over at Apple's but I don'treally "get it" - it's all advertisment, and advertisment has been know to be bull in the past; eg. I want to know what other Mac users think.

Any help?

Mar, I think you can have a trial run of .Mac.

I did it and personally I didn't think it was worth it. But for you it would be. You can archive anything with it as well as using domains and what not.

Can't remember all the features, but I did a trial a year ago and found it meh for me. But since you use domains and what not, it will be good for you. :)

Is it "worth it" to buy .Mac? I have a domain, and was wondering if I can "transfer" it to the new .mac-domain? Also, what else is there to do with a .Mac subscription? I have looked around on the .Mac-site over at Apple's but I don'treally "get it" - it's all advertisment, and advertisment has been know to be bull in the past; eg. I want to know what other Mac users think.

No. .Mac is, IMHO, overpriced.

You can't host your domain at .Mac. The mail is rather ordinary. The storage space may be handy, but you can get more space for less elsewhere. iWeb's HTML makes baby jesus cry.

If you have more than one Mac maybe the Sync functionality will be useful, but I don't think it's worth AUD$140 a year.

As for what machines I have, I have a Powerbook G4 (as well as a Windows desktop and laptop). Honestly, I don't think OS X is "better" than Windows, and Windows isn't "better" than OS X. They're ... different, but the same. That makes no sense, I know.

And definitely, yes, you should get the RAM. OS X is very RAM hungry, but does use the RAM effectively. You will notice a substantial speed boost. I have a gig in my PB.

No problems chicky! I'd highly suggest doing the trial for the road test, you are not under any obligation! You just need to create an account (username and password) and you are good to go! ;)

You have acess to iDisk as well, so you could store anything, like if your computer is low on memory (data) then you could sync it easily to your iDisk. But it is useless to me anyways! :)

Let me know how you go darl. I'm off to bed, it is 11.30pm in Aus, and I have to get up at 6.30am for work! :)

No. .Mac is, IMHO, overpriced.

You can't host your domain at .Mac. The mail is rather ordinary. The storage space may be handy, but you can get more space for less elsewhere. iWeb's HTML makes baby jesus cry.

If you have more than one Mac maybe the Sync functionality will be useful, but I don't think it's worth AUD$140 a year.

As for what machines I have, I have a Powerbook G4 (as well as a Windows desktop and laptop). Honestly, I don't think OS X is "better" than Windows, and Windows isn't "better" than OS X. They're ... different, but the same. That makes no sense, I know.

And definitely, yes, you should get the RAM. OS X is very RAM hungry, but does use the RAM effectively. You will notice a substantial speed boost. I have a gig in my PB.

Thanks for that Ziggy. I think it's way overpriced as well, and with your post I doubt I will ever pay for it.

I'll wish for some new RAM for my b-day in October. :)

Archived