Summer Bay Earthquake 2006

Guest Ross

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part 8

Sally sat up in her hospital bed, holding baby Pippa on her lap. It was as if she was in a trance- all she could think of was her family, and how much she loved them. As this thought crossed her mind, she suddenly heard the doors swing open, and the voices of Colleen and Cassie fill the air. They stormed into the room, both so happy to see Sal, and Cassie threw her arms around her.

"Sal! Oh my god, are you ok? how's Pip?"

"She's fine! And so am I, so don't worry, erm..where are the others?" she asked inquisitively.

"They haven't found them yet" Cassie replied in a sad and depressed voice. "But don't worry, they will, if Colleen and I can make it, then so can all of them"

"I know, I know" replied Sally, although, at the back of her mind, she didn't believe it.

Meanwhile, down the road, Kim was standing on the side of the road sobbing as the rescuers removed Rachel's body from the remains and put her in the ambulance. Beth was comforting him, and tears were streaming down her face too, as the same thing had already been done for Tony. She knew exactly how Kim felt- it was like being stuck in a nightmare, but how ever much you try, not being able to wake yourself up. However, just as Beth was losing every last piece of hope that she had, she heard a commotion coming from the side of the rubble, and ran over to investigate. There, standing with the rescuers was Lucas - they had found him and thankfully, he had escaped with very minor injuries. Beth ran towards him and threw her arms around him, bursting into tears as an intense happiness filled her body. However, she then started sobbing as she remembered the reality- Tony was gone. How was she going to tell Lucas that his father was dead, and his brother was yet to be found?

Find out in part 9. :)

Part 9

Loud noise could be heard coming from the Caravan Park. Cranes had been brought in to help with clearing the rubble as such a large amount of damage had been done. Sally had not been allowed to leave hospital as the gash on her arm had become infected, but Cassie stood watching the progress, and promised Sally to let her know as soon as anything happened. Cassie felt as though this would go on forever- it was like however much rubble was removed from the giant heap, it never seemed to go down.

It was mid afternoon, as the sun engulfed Cassie- she felt like she was standing in an oven. Having stood in the same spot for hours, she started to take a walk around the Caravan Park site to see what damage had occured. She found vans lying in pieces and people's possessions lying everywhere, but thankfully all the guests had been out of their vans at the time of the earthquake, so there were no fatalities. As Cassie reached the left hand side of the house, she decided to do a bit of digging herself. She took some large planks of broken wood away and started moving some bits of guttering. As she did so, she swore she heard a sound- it was like someone crying. She stopped, and listened intently, but decided it must have been in her imagination. She continued digging but again, swore she could hear this strange noise. This time, she quietened down again, and the noise persisted. She followed to where she thought it was and there, lying with more large planks of wood covering them was Morag.

"Morag!" Cassie shouted. "I'll go and get some help!".

The rescuers dug Morag out, and took her immediately to the hospital. Her arm was broken and the wood had caused some quite severe scarring on her body, but thankfully, apart from that, she was going to be ok. Morag had been put into the same room as Sally, and Cassie sat with them.

"I can't believe how lucky I was - if Cassie hadn't turned up when she did, it might have been too late" Morag said, sitting up in bed. Sally could tell that Morag was extremely scared that the others would not make it.

"Don't worry Morag, they will find the others. We've al been lucky enough to escape fairly unscathed, so there's no reason it shouldn't be the same for everyone else."

As these words left Sally's mouth, one of the rescuers was shown into the room by Nurse Julie.

"Erm, everybody this is Robert" Julie said, gesturing at the rescuer, "he's one of the men who has been helping at the Caravan Park.

"Hello, erm, is everything ok?" Morag asked him, wondering why he had left off to come to see them.

"Erm, well, that's why I'm here. I've just come to ask you if you can confirm how many other people there were in the house at the time of the earthquake?".

"4" Sally replied, "Alf, Ric, Martha and Jack. I've told you this already though...is there something you're not telling us?"

"I was asked to come here to confirm how many people were missing, because..". Robert broke off, clearly finding it difficult to articulate what he wanted to say.

"Because of what?" Cassie asked, desperate for him to give them information.

"Because, after we brought Miss Bellingham in earlier, we managed to get two more cranes, and eventually we cleared all of the rubble away that was ristricting our search."

"So, you must have found them then..have you brought them in yet?" Morag asked, thinking she had completed what he wanted to say for him.

Sally saw the look in Robert's face, and could not take it any longer, she knew everything was not alright. "Please, there's obviously something wrong. They haven't made it have they? Oh God, they haven't made it!"

"I'm afraid that 3 bodies were found, and Julie was able to identify them all for us when we arrived with them. I'm so sorry, but Jack, Martha and Ric are all dead."

Sally, Morag and Cassie each looked as white as a ghost. Sally broke down in tears, and Cassie put her arms around her, while Morag managed to restrain her sadness while she asked Robert about her brother.

"So, Alf is alive then? He's ok? Has he been brought in yet?"

"That's just it. I came back to confirm how many were in there as I was sure you said 4, and you have confirmed that for me. Yet, we have cleared aaway all the rubble and completed a thorough search, and we cannot find Mr Stewart anywhere."

"Well, that's ridiculous" Morag replied, "you haven't looked properly. You're wasting your time here, why aren't you still there looking for him?"

"Miss Bellingham, we have looked. Our superior officers have arrived and have confirmed for us that the check is complete, and Mr Stewart is most certainly not in the house."

Sally, Cassie and Morag could not believe what they were hearing. Sally had been talking to Alf minutes before the earthquake, and he had then gone upstairs. And now they were being told he wasn't there?

How will Sally, Morag and Cassie cope with the realisation that Martha, Jack and Ric are all dead? How will Lucas deal with losing both his father and his brother? And how come there is no sign of Alf anywhere, even though he was definitely in the house at the time of the earthquake? Find out in Part 10 :)

Archived