Summer Bay Earthquake 2006

Guest Ross

Part 6

Peter left Stella and VJ with Leah, and decided to go out outside to get a bit of fresh air. He switched on his phone, and immediately received a call from an alarmed Amanda.

“Peter, I’ve being trying to call you. I saw the news – what’s going on?! Are you ok, how are Leah and Dan?”

”Leah’s in a pretty bad way in hospital, but they haven’t found Dan yet..or Ryan”. Peter added this last detail reluctantly as he knew that, despite Amanda’s faults, she would be devastated at the thought of her son’s safety being compromised.

“Oh, don’t worry, Ryan’s with me. We’re visiting my sister in the city. We got the end of it here but there’s no major damage, but on the radio they said that Summer Bay had been badly affected. Look, I won’t hold you up, but please let me know as soon as you hear anything about Dan.”

“I will” Peter promised her, and he hung up the phone, thinking deeply about his brother’s whereabouts. He decided to go back to the house to see if any progress had been made. He again raced along in his car, and when the came to the road where Leah and Dan’s house had once stood, he noticed an even larger crowd of people in uniform had appeared. He ran from his car and as he approached one of the officers, a body bag that was sitting in the corner caught his eye.

“Any news on Dan? You must be getting near to finding him surely”. Peter’s desperation was clearly shown by the sweat that was dripping down his forehead.

“I’m so sorry” the officer responded, and Peter seemed slightly taken aback by a remark that seemed to in no ay correspond with his question. He noticed the officer glance towards the white body bag.

Trying to ignore this, Peter again exclaimed “you’ve gotta find him soon, his wife’s expecting a baby”.

The officer directed Peter slowly towards the body bag and muttered “we found him about 5 minutes ago – we tried to revive him but we were too late, the weight of bricks that landed on him would have been to hard to bare”,

As Peter peered down, the officer said “I’m so sorry”. Peter could not bring himself to look- Dan was still in there, they were giving up hope too easily. But as he finally looked, he saw his brother lying there, and Peter experienced a feeling of emptiness and horror that he had never felt before, he never even knew he could feel this way. How could his brother be gone? And more importantly, how would he break the news to his wife who was lying in hospital desperately seeking news of her husband?

Find out in part 7 .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part 7

Beth sat in shock. How many more times could her life be turned upside down? First, she loses her husband Jack, then Rhys cheats on her, and now, she has lost the love of her life in these tragic circumstances.

After taking Matilda off to hospital, Beth had quickly returned home to see what progress the rescuers were making. She had waited for over an hour (although it had seemed like days) until finally, the tragic news that Tony's body had been found was delivered to her. And yet, even though she had never felt such loss and distress, she couldn't cry - it was as if her eyes were glued wide open - she was in a great state of shock. At the back of her mind, she knew she had to remain strong for her family, and she wasn't willing to give up hope on Lucas yet - there was plenty of chance he could still be alive.

Next door at the Boy's House, another desperate search was underway. Kim had been found early on; he had been very lucky, and escaped with only minor injuries - a couple of cuts and bruises. And even though the rescuers had recommended he go to hospital, he refused to leave and insisted he help find Rachel. He had been searching for hours, and although the sun was starting to cool, he felt sweltering hot - not only because of the hard physical labour, but the thought of Rachel stuck in this rubble - he couldn't bare to think of the love of his life in pain. Finally, at about 16:00, Kim discovered Rachel's foot sticking up from underneath a pile of destroyed furniture. He had never felt so happy - he could not wait to be reunited with his new finacee. He raced over and started digging like a maniac.

"Rach!!! Wake up Rach!" Kim shouted eagerly. "Rachel!"

He looked down. He knew straight away, but couldn't admit it to himself. This was the girl he wanted to marry- he had never shared such an intense relationship with anybody before - she was going to be there forever, and they would grow old together. But as the minutes passed, Kim prepared himself for the reality of life without Rachel - she was gone, and once again, he was left alone...

What will happen next? Will Sally's family make it out? And what about Lucas? and how will the Bay cope with news that Dan, Tony and Rachel have all been lost?

Find out in part 8 :)

Archived