Where Life Can Take You

Guest PINK

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I packed the last of my things into my bag and sighed as I picked it up.

I walked into my daughters room and packed a few things into her bag and went to her cot to pick her up.

“Come on sweetie” Martha said and put her on her hip.

Martha walked down the staircase and saw Jack sitting in the lounge room.

“Hey sweetheart you ready” Martha spoke softly trying not to wake Sarah.

Jack looked around “yep lets go” he said and stood up and gave Martha a kiss on the cheek and said “thanks I know it’s going to be hard for you to go back there” Martha brought her hand to Jack’s cheek “Don’t worry about me I’m fine ok lets get going I’ll drive ok” Martha said handing baby Sarah over to Jack and going to get the keys.

Martha packed all the bags into the back of the porch and Jack put Sarah in the car.

Martha shut the boot and came round to Jack who shut the door and turned around.

“you ready for this” jack asked.

Martha nodded “yep” she answered “you ok” she asked.

“Yeah I’m fine just not looking forward to it” Jack said.

“Yeah it sure will be different won’t it” Martha said gesturing to the mansion.

Jack looked at what they had become and nodded “yeah it sure will be anyway we better get going if we want to get there before dark” “yeah” answered Martha and gave jack a quick kiss on the lips before making her way round to the drivers side and getting in.

Jack sighed and also got in and prepared himself for the journey ahead.

People looked as a silver porch pulled up outside the diner it wasn’t a usual site for the residents of Summer bay a silver porch puling up at the diner.

Martha opened the door and stepped out in she was dressed in a white designer suit.

Then jack stepped out in a Black leather Jacket and jeans.

Martha went around and opened the door of the car and got Sarah out as Jack got the pram out.

Martha came round with Sarah and put her in the pram. “So you ready for this” Martha said as she stood up. Jack sighed “yep you” “as ready as I’ll ever be come on” she said as she held onto the handles of Sarah’s pram and they all started making there way towards the diner.

Martha and Jack walked into the diner it was the same diner that they knew and loved.

“Martha, jack oh my god” Irene exclaimed as she saw them enter “and who’s this” she asked bending down to see into the pram. “This is Sarah” Martha said happily.

Irene stood up with a sorry look on her face “I can probably guess why you’re here”

Irene said.

“Yeah we’re about to head off to the hospital know do you know how he is” Martha said

“As fare as I know not very good I’m so sorry Jack” Irene said “Thanks Irene sorry to be rude but Martha we better get going” “yeah sorry Irene” Martha said “no love you go and once again I’m sorry you guys have gone through your fair share of bad luck as it” “Yeah well I guess we just have to keep strong” Martha said fighting the tears. “Ok darl I’ll catch up with you guys later” “Ok se you” Irene said as she headed into the back.

Jack wheeled Sarah down the cold white hallways with Martha by his side when they cam e to a room “room 55” “you ready for this” Martha said to Jack “yep” Jack said as they entered the room.

“Jack Martha” Tony exclaimed as they entered the room. “Hey Dad” Jack said as he walked over and gave his dad a hug. “Hello Sarah” Tony said as he spotted the pram with the baby sitting up in it. Martha picked her up and handed her to Tony. “Hello sweetheart remember me Grandad” Martha and Jack looked on as they watched Tony play with Sarah and thought how unfair it was that he wasn’t going to see her grow up.

Later that night Martha and Jack walked into there rented apartment. “I better get Sarah a bath and get her to bed it’s been a long day Martha said gesturing to the sleeping baby that lie in her arms.

“Ok Jack said I better get a shower too” “yep could you just grab me a pair of pjs for Sarah out of her bag for me first” “sure Jack said as her went to get the pyjama’s out of the small pink suitcase. And Martha headed to the bathroom.

Later that night Martha and Jack lay in bed “It’s been a long day” Jack said as he wrapped his arms around Martha “yeah are you ok” “yeah I’m fine just dad he looked so sick I just felt powerless and then when he was playing with Sarah I just thought he’s not going to see her grow up he’s going to miss all of it” he said as tears were appearing in his eyes. “I know and I’m so sorry Jack But you know I’m always here for you” “I know as long as I have you everything will work out fine”

With that they snuggled up to each other and fell asleep in each others arms.

Martha woke up with Jacks arms wrapped tight around her to the sound of Sarah crying.

Martha gently unwrapped Jacks arms from around her body and climbed out of bed.

She walked out into the lounge room and looked at the clock it was eight o’clock she had better start getting ready she thought to her self and walked on into Sarah’s room.

“Hey sweetie what’s wrong hey” she said picking Sarah up from her cot and put her on her hip and walked out of her room.

“Hey” Martha said as she saw Jack walking out of their room.

“Hi she ok” jack asked.

“Yeah she’s fine but Jack I was thinking maybe we could take Sarah down to the beach for an hour before we head off to the hospital just so she’s not cooped up in there all day besides Beth and Luke will be there”

“Yeah that’s fine” Jack said

“Ok so what do you want for breakfast” Martha said heading into the kitchen.

“Martha where in Summer bay I think a nice traditional diner breakfast is in order”

“Good idea I’ll just get me and Sarah ready I’ll be ready in about half an hour do you want to have a shower” Martha asked.

“Yeah I’ll jump in quickly” Jack said before heading off into the bathroom and Martha headed off into Sarah’s room.

“Come on Martha said” as she walked into the water to Sarah “come on” she said clapping her hands.

Sarah took a couple of steps but fell over and jack picked her up.

“You wanna have a swim with daddy” Jack asked before walking into the water with her.

“I’m just going to get dry” Martha said to Jack and started walking off to where there stuff was.

Martha walked up to her towel and picked it up and started drying herself when her phone started to ring.

“Hello” Martha answered.

“Oh hi Luke we were just about to come down there” she said.

“What oh my God we’ll be straight there ok bye” Martha said and hung up the phone and looked out to where Jack was playing with Sarah and tears came to her eyes.

She quickly wiped them away when she saw Jack walk out of the water holding Sarah’s hand.

Jack walked up to Martha and said.

“Hey who was that on the phone”

Martha looked at him and took in a deep breath and spoke.

“It was Luke”

“What, what did he want” Jack asked.

“It’s your dad” Martha said.

“What happened Jack said clearly concerned.

“He had a heart attack he’s in a coma” Martha said.

Jack sunk down to the sand.

“How, how did this happen” he said.

Sarah crawled over to jack.

“Daddy” she said.

Martha and Jack looked at each other that was her first proper word.

Martha picked Sarah up “You said your first word” Martha said kissing her on the cheek.

Jack stood up. And kissed her on the cheek.

At least “we have our little family” Jack said.

Martha sighed “yeah we better get up to the hospital though and see what’s going on” Martha said.

Jack nodded “yeah lets go” he said and they picked up there things and headed off to the hospital.

Martha and Jack hurried up the hallway off the hospital with Sarah on Martha’s hip they got to Tony’s room. Martha looked at Jack and they entered.

Jack gasped and tried to hold in the tears as he saw his father lying there lifeless hooked up to e very machine possible. Lucas looked around who was sitting next to Beth and looked at Jack.

“What’s going on” Jack asked.

“I don’t know we were just here talking to him and he just fell unconscious we’re waiting for Rachel to come back with the test results”

“ok:” Jack said before going and pulling to chairs up from the corner and placing them beside the bed.

“Thanks” Martha said and went to sit down and placed a sleeping Sarah on her lap and gently stroked her hair.

Three hours later They were all sitting in there same places Martha had her head on jacks shoulder and Matilda had arrived and had her head on Lucas’s shoulder.

Suddenly they were all woken from there thoughts when Rachel came in.

“Hi Guys” Rachel said as she walked into Tony’s room.

“Hi Jack Hi Martha this isn’t really the catch up I had planned for us” Rachel said.

Martha managed a small smile.

“Now I have the results of Tony’s tests and I’m afraid It’s not very good news” Rachel said as all eyes were on her as they waited to know the fait of the man they all loved.

“I’m sorry but the Test’s we’ve done show that there is no longer any activity left in his brain”

Martha covered her mouth as jack started to cry and Martha pulled him into a tight hug as Matilda did to Lucas Beth watched on and saw the couples around her comforting each other, loving each other and she knew she would never have Tony to comfort her ever again.

Jack pulled away from Martha and turned to Rachel “so what happens now” he asked “well I’ll leave you guys to say your final goodbyes and then I’ll come back and discuss what the next step is” she said.

“Thanks Rach” Martha said and with that Rachel left to let them all say there final farewells.

Later that night Martha and Jack arrived back to there apartment.

Martha opened the door and walked inside followed by Jack who was holding Sarah.

Martha walked over to Jack and took Sarah off him.

“You go to bed” she said “It’s been a long day I’ll put Sarah to bed and I’ll be in ok” Martha said before rubbing his arm and saying “It will get easier I know it hurts now but just give it tome ok” Martha said before walking off into Sarah’s room and Jack walked off into his and Martha’s.

A couple of minutes later Martha walked into her room to find Jack sitting up.

“Well she was easy to settle tonight she said before changing into her pjs and getting into bed.

She snuggled up to him and noticed a tear silently falling down his cheek.

She quickly sat up and wrapped her arms around him “It’s ok I’m here and I always will be I promise” Martha said before they both lied down and Jack turned to Martha and said “I know it’s been hard for you coming back here thankyou I couldn’t of done it with out you” he said before wrapping his arms around her tighter. Martha looked at him “You were here for me when I needed you and know I’m just doing the same thing now come on it’s been a long day you need your sleep you no how you get when your tired Martha said Jokingly before snuggling into him and they both drifted off to sleep.

Martha walked out of the bathroom in a black knee length dress on and walked into her bedroom, she came up behind Jack who was wearing a black suit and said.

“You ready”

“Yep he answered and turned around “lets go” Martha gave him a weak smile and went to pick Sarah up who was sitting on the floor.

Martha and Jack pulled up outside the church and got out. Martha went round to the back seat and got Sarah out and put her on her hip. She came up behind Jack and placed her hand on his shoulder “come on it’s time” she said and they walked into the church.

Jack and Martha sat in the church listening to people making speeches and finally it was Jacks turn.

He turned to Martha who had a sleeping Sarah on her lap she kissed hip and he got up and headed to the alter stopping to give Lucas a hug as he headed down the alter after making his speech.

Then he carried up the alter.

“ Tony Holden was a loving person a friend a wife but most of all he was a father a loving one at that he was a man who would always stand by your side so I say this poem in recognition of his memory.

Do not stand at my grave and weep

I am not there - I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that blow

I am the diamond glint on snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain

I am the gentle autumn rain...

When you awake in the morning's hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight

I am the soft starlight...at night...

I am the sunlight on ripened grain

I am the gentle autumn rain

I am the diamond glint on snow

I am a thousand winds that blow...

So do not stand at my grave and weep

I am not here..

I do not sleep…”

Jack finished tears streaming down his face he left the alter and went to take his seat next to Martha she pulled him into a hug.

Later that day Martha and jack arrived back at the apartment Martha sighed

“we better pack we should head beck tomorrow” she said.

“Yeah” Jack agreed.

“It’ll be good to get Sarah back into her own environment.

Jack nodded “I’m going to jump in the shower ok” he said.

Martha nodded she knew she needed to let Jack deal with it in his own time and in his own way, she saw him walk off into the bathroom and sighed she hated seeing him in so much pain she wondered how and when she should tell him her news.

Please comment.

Archived