Only With Your Smile

Guest xGlowingAngelx

Chapter 31

Martha awoke in a sweat and sat up abruptly. She'd been having a nightmare, yet she couldn't remember what it was about. She looked down and saw that Jack was sleeping on the sofa. Realising they must have fallen asleep earlier, she pulled herself from the sofa and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.

She walked towards the sink and looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her cheeks seemed to have gained a rose colour, rather than the pale colour she had been holding for the last few days. She smiled to herself as she thought about what Jack had said earlier. She hadn't doubted him for a second when he said he was going to bring the baby up as his own, because she knew he'd never lie to her. For that, she loved him even more. Her relationship with Justin had been so much more complicated. They dated for almost 2 years, and had only split up 2 months before she'd got together with Jack. She found it strange that she could move on so quickly, but deep down, she knew her heart was with Jack. As it had always been. The past was in the past. Fake spiders, Nudie runs and cliff jumps aside, they were made for each other. She couldn't help feeling that with Justin she'd only stayed with him to make him happy. She knew that deep down, she longed to be set free from the relationship. However, is was when she first tried to escape that he proposed, and she knew she couldn't turn him down, he would have just been suspicious. That was why she accepted. To make him happy. Just like she had done all the way through the relationship. Regardless to her own feelings.

Her thoughts were interrupted as she heard a knock on the bathroom door. "Are you OK?" she heard Jack call. She wiped her face. "Yeh, I'm fine" she replied. He slowly opened the bathroom door. Without saying anything, he walked behind her and slipped his arms around her waist. They stayed wrapped in each other for a few moments, until a knock at the door disturbed them. "Leave it" whispered Jack, as he kissed her again. She smiled and kissed him back. Then there was a knock again, she pulled away and went to answer it, Jack following behind her. She opened the door and came face to face with two police officers. "Can I help you?" she asked, confused.

"Are you Martha McKenzie?" asked one of the officers. Martha turned to Jack, who looked equally confused. "Yes" she nodded, turning back to them. "And we believe you know Justin Coleman?"

Martha felt her mood suddenly dampen. "What's he done now?" she moaned. The police officer removed his cap. "I'm afraid there was an accident. Justin died half an hour ago"....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 32

Martha sat on the couch, her head spinning. The two officers were stood in front of her and Jack was sat beside her, gripping her hand tightly. It had been almost seventeen minutes since she'd learnt of Justin's death, and she had barely spoken two words. Eventually, she looked up at the police officers. "Have you told his parents?" she asked. In the time she'd dated Justin, she'd learnt he was very close to his parents. The Male police officer nodded. "His parents were informed just before we came here".

"And that's how you learnt where I lived?" she asked. The female police officer nodded. "Apparently, Justin told his parents he had planned to visit you, and when he left the house, that was the last time they saw him." The sorrow in her voice was obvious. Martha felt tears form in her eyes, misting her view. Jack placed a comforting arm around her shoulder. Both of the police officers looked at one another. "We'll leave you to it" said the Male one, whom Martha and Jack had learnt was called Constable Lewis Ashton. Martha stood up and nodded. "Thank you for...letting me know" she said, shaking their hands. Constable Lewis nodded. "Absolutely, We'll see ourselves out". Jack smiled politely as he watched the officers exit the flat. He moved next to Martha. "Are you OK?" he asked. She looked at him and gave a weak smile. "I don't know. I always said I wanted him out of my life. And he was the biggest jerk I've ever known. But he didn't deserve that. And then there's the baby. his baby, who's going to have to grow up never knowing their real father. I just...."

"Hey" said Jack sweetly. "Come here" he pulled her into an embrace and kissed her forehead gently. "We'll get through this somehow. Together. I promise" he said, Martha smiled at him, and rested her head on his chest, thanking her lucky stars he was so perfect.

Chapter 33

Martha lay, her head resting on Jack's chest. He brushed his fingers through her hair. He wanted to talk to her, but he couldn't seem to find the right words. He knew that at one time, she loved Justin and he understood that she was saddened by his death. He just wanted to be there for her. She gently lifted her head and looked at him. "Thank you for being so good to me" she smiled. He ran his fingers through her hair. "You know I love you don't you?" he said. This time she had no worries. She lifted her body up and sat parrallel to him, holding his hand in hers. "I love you too" she replied. He didn't have to speak, but she could tell how happy he was. He sat up and met his eyes with hers. "Im always going to be here. You know that, don't you?" he asked. She smiled.

"Yeh, I know"

"I want this to be a fresh start, Martha. We've been through so much, we deserve some happiness" he said, seriously. "I don't want to have to live in Justin's shadow, or have to worry that things are going to go wrong. I want us to take things slowly. Enjoy our time together. Just me, you and our baby" he said. She felt tears well up in her eyes. It was clear he was there to stay. "We have to make this work Jack. I can't screw things up. Not now I'm going to have a baby" she said. He nodded.

"I know. We won't. We'll be a perfect little family. I don't care what other people might think or say, you are my family. Both of you" he said. Martha smiled at him, struggling to hold back her tears. This time, and for what felt like the first time in weeks, they were happy tears. She pulled his arms tightly around her, and secured her head gently back on his chest. Their was a silence in the room. One that was peaceful and relaxed. She looked back up to the man besides her. He was perfect. Like a fairytale, they were together again, the way it should be.

Noticing her looking at him, he kissed her forehead again. She wrapped her arms gently around his body and slowly closed her eyes. She didn't know what the future held but she knew one thing:

Maybe everything was going to be all right after all.

xoxoThe Endxoxo

Comments.

Archived