Only With Your Smile

Guest xGlowingAngelx

Chapter 21

Martha sat in front of Jack, still holding his gaze. "You...you don't mean that!" she said, standing up. He took hold of her hand. "I do, Martha. I love you" he repeated. "Stop it, Jack. Stop it!" she cried, and ran from the house.

She ran onto the beach and collapsed to her knees by the sea. She sobbed heavily. Why did he have to say that? Now of all times? She knew how much harder it was going to be to tell him the truth. She wrapped her arms around her knees. Here vision fell upon a young couple a few feet away. They were around her and Jack's age and were kissing and splashing eachother with water. They looked so happy. She wanted to scream as she realised that was how she and Jack should be. Young and in love. Not young and uhappy. Why did she have to screw up so many times?

"Martha!" a voice called. Martha swivelled round and saw Jack walking towards her. She quickly gathered to her feet and began walking away from him. She could hear him calling her name again. "Martha!" he called. This time his voice was edging closer and closer. She picked up her pace, desperatly trying to escape him. Then suddenly he stood infront of her, his hand clasped tightly on her arms. "What's going on?" he demanded. She looked at him and remained silent. "Martha please!" he begged.

"Jack. Let go of me!" she demanded, trying to wriggle free from his grasp. He remained gripped to her. "Martha tell me" he snapped. She looked at him again. He looked so serious and upset. She couldn't help but let soft tears fall from her eyes. She gave him a weak smile and took her hands into his. "Jack, we can't do this" she said. Jack looked at her, cofused. "What?" he said. "I don't understand what's happening" he cried.

"Jack, please. Just....let me go. Find somebody ele. You don't deserve me"

"What! That's crazy! I love you!" he said. She backed away from him. "Stop saying that! just let me go" she cried. Jack watched her as she backed away further, until she eventually disappeared from sight. He collapsed to his knees, sobbing. What was going on?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

Walking back to the house, Martha felt like a Zombie. She kept playing events around in her head. Being in hospital, Jack being in hospital, The day she got married. Nothing seemed to make sense to her. She slowly opened the front door, and walked inside. She turned around and locked the door. She needed time alone and she couldn't have that with Jack breathing down her neck constantly. She could hear him running up the stairs and approach the front door. She watched as he grasped the handle and desperatly attempted to open the door. "Martha let me in!" he called. Wiping a falling tear from her cheek, she closed her eyes. "Jack please. Just go away, i need time alone. Please!" she begged.

"Time alone for what, Martha. The last few weeks, you've been acting strange. I'm just worried about you."

"Don't be!" she snapped. "I'm fine"

"You're obviously not, Martha. Please just tell me what's wrong. What's going on?" He could hear her slowly sobbing. He rested his back against the door and slipped down. "I'm not going anywhere" he said. "I'm staying right here. I don't care if I have to sleep out here all night. I'm not going anywhere until I know what's going on!"

Martha felt a shiver run down her spine. She wanted to open the door. She wanted to let him in. She wanted to tell him everything, but she found it so hard. She slouched down against the door, the only thing that was now seperating her from Jack. "I'm sorry Jack" she whispered, unsure of whether or not he could actually hear her. "I just want to know, martha" he sobbed. She ran her fingers down the door. She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, as she prepared to tell him everything....

Chapter 23

They sat, still leaning their heads against the opposite sides of the door. She could hear him tapping his feet against the door and couldn't help but smile. It was something they argued about so many times. He'd do it just to wind her up, and it worked. She knew he ususally did it to annoy her, but she wasn't sure if that was why he was doing it now. But this time was different, the sound of him tapping his feet made her smile, much to her amusement. Aside from that, and the occasional cough or sneeze from one of them, there was silence. It drove them both mad, hoping for the other to speak first. She was about to speak when suddenly she heard his voice speak. "I don't care what it is Martha. I'll always love you" she closed her eyes. She wanted to say it back. So badly. She had opened her mouth, but the words just wouldn't come out. He sighed loudly, a wave of disappointent spreading over him. Why wouldn't she say it back?

She lifted her head to look at the clock that hung on the wall. It was eight thirty in the evening. She could here him moving around. Then his voice spoke again. "Why won't you tell me?" he said. She wasn't sure whether she was or not, but she could have sworn she'd heard him gently sobbing. It pained her that she was hurting him so much, but she knew if he discovered she was married, it would hurt him so much more. "Martha?" he spoke again. She finally broke her silence with a cold reply. "What?"

"What's happened to us?" She felt her mind spin. What did he mean? As though he knew what she was thinking, he continued, "A few weeks ago, we were best friends. Laughing. Joking. What's changed?" She knew the answer to it. She knew it was her secret that was seperating them, and that upset her. She placed her head in her hands and then looked back up. She stood on her feet and slowly opened the door. He stood infront of her. "You really want to know? You won't like it" she said. He looked at her so seriously. "I really want to know" he replied. She took a deep breath, took his hands into hers and looked into his eyes. "I do love you Jack" she spoke. He smiled at her. "But, I can't go on fooling you"

"What do you mean?" he asked. He was slightly panicking now. Her heart racing, and palms sweating, she looked into his eyes once more, and replied "I'm married, Jack"...

Chapter 24

He stayed, frozen to the spot in front of her. He tried speaking, but whenever he opened his mouth, the words wouldn't come out, which was probably best as he knew that if he spoke, he could say something he regretted. "Jack, please say something" Martha whispered. His eyes widened as he looked a her. "Married?" he said, unsure of whether he had actually heard her right. She nodded her head. "yes" He felt dizzy as he tried to take in what she had just told him. She moved from the doorway. "Come and sit down" she said, but he still remained stood infront of her. He was avoiding looking at her. Then suddenly, he found himself burst out laughing. She looked at him, a horrified expression on her face. Was he laughing at her? He sudddenly composed himself. "Sorry" he said. "I just had this weird thought. You told me you were married" he said, laughing again. She looked at him, desperatly fighting back tears. "That's weird" he continued "Because, I'm thinking if you were married, you wouldn't be with me right now. You would have told me. You wouldn't have let me tell you that I love you" he said, his voice getting louder as he spoke. She felt slightly frightened. He looked back at her again, and suddenly his face became serious as he realised she was telling the truth. "How can you be married?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" she asked. He stiffled a giggle. "Well how?...when?" he asked. Then he asked the one questions he didn't actually want to ask. "who?" she bit her lip.

"Does that matter?" she said. His eyes widened. "Who?" he repeated. She felt her lip quiver. Turning her face away from him, she said softly "You don't know him" Jack shook his head and turned her head back to face him. "Were you ever going to tell me?"

"Of course I was!" she cried.

"When? When I proposed to you? On our wedding day? Or maybe the birth of our child!" he felt the anger rage inside him. "Jack, please. Just let me explain!" she begged, taking his hand. He abruptly pulled away and backed away, towards the stairs that led to the front door. "Don't touch me!" he cried. "Don't come near me! Just stay away from me!" Martha watched, tears rolling down her cheek, as he disappeared from her view, and possibly from her life....

Chapter 25

Jack walked down the beach, the warm sand edging between his toes. The view was beautiful, a clear blue sky with white fluffly cloud. Yet he didn't seem to notice. His mind was filled with a thousand thoughts. He'd found his soulmate in Martha. He'd never found someone before whom he'd loved since the day they met, but that's exactly what happened with her. The second he met her, he knew she was the one. He'd planned their future before he'd even kissed her. The day he asked her to marry him. He'd planned it all. Now he'd learnt the one thing that would wreck it all, and he didn't know what to do. He could see his Dad approaching him, but he avoided eye contact with him, simply keeping his eyes towards the sky. "Jack?" Tony said as they stood closer. "What's wrong?" It was something Tony was good at, immeadiatly knowing when his sons had something on their minds. Jack looked at him. "It's all gone wrong Dad. It's all such a mess" he cried. Tony placed his hand on Jack's shoulder. "Come on" he said. "Let's get a coffee"

Martha paced up and down the living room. Her thought bombarded with Jack. She'd wanted to run after him when he ran out, but she knew he wouldn't want to see her right now. She sat down on the sofa, trying to relax herself and calm down, which was a task that was much easier said than done. She placed her head in her hands and closed her eyes. Rocking back and forth she tried to think of a solution to her problem. The mess she'd made.

Then suddenly, a thought struck her. She picked up her mobile phone from the table and dialled a number. She placed it to her ear and a few moments later, she spoke. "It's me" she began. "I really need to see you"...

Chapter 26

Martha abruptly jumped from the couch as she heard the door rattle. She paced over and opened it. There he stood. In front of her. The one person she hadn't seen for four months, the one person who was wrecking her relationship. Justin, her husband. "Hello babe. Long time no see" he said, meaninglessly. She backed away as he leant in to kiss her cheek. "Well that's not very nice!" he said, as he pushed past her into the house. Martha watched as he made his way towards the sofa and sat down. He picked a magazine from the table and began reading it. "We need to talk" said Martha. He nodded, without removing his gaze from the magazine, and Martha knew she was going to find it difficult getting through to him.

"Anyway, I'd better go now" said Jack, as he finished his coffee. "See if I can talk to her" Tony smiled at him. "Good luck, mate. see you later!" he called as Jack disappeared from view.

"I want a divorce" Martha murmured. She watched as Justin placed the magazine down and stood up. He walked towards her. "What?" he asked. She looked into his eyes. "I want a divorce!" she repeated. He stiffled a giggle. "You're not serious!"

"I am. I don't love you. I love Jack." she told him. He walked towards her and stood infront of her.

Jack raced up the stairs towards the flat, desperate to see Martha again, to sort things out with her and to make everything better.

Justin cupped Martha's face into his hands, and pulled her face to his, kissing her roughly. She tried breaking away, but his grasp was so tight. He had complete power over her.

The lock to the door unlocked and the door swung open. Jack stood, frozen. Shocked by the sight he saw....

Chapter 27

Martha desperatly pushed Justin off her. She lifted her head up and caught sight of Jack stood at the door. "Jack!" she cried as she approached him. "It's not what..."

"I came here to sort things out" he said, calmly, despite the anger that was building inside him.He looked towards Justin. "Is this him?" he asked. Martha bit her lip and then nodded. "Yeh." she replied softly. "That's him" Without thinking, Jack launched onto him, as the two men threw punches at eachother. Martha watched, horrifically. "Jack stop!" she pleaded, as she grabbed the back of Jack's shirt and desperatly tried to seperate them. She felt the shirt slip from her grasp. Justin pulled Jack over, and, realising he had the power, he grabbed the glass that Martha had been drinking from and held it in the air. "Justin stop!" cried Martha. She reached for the phone. "I'm calling the police unless you two stop now!" she cried. Justin turned to look at her. After a moments hesitation, he got off Jack, and the two boys stood up in front of eachother. She walked over and stood between them. She turned to face Justin. "I want you to leave" she said. He looked at her and then shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere!"

"Justin please!"

Justin looked towards Jack and then back at Martha, after a momnts hesitation, he walked towards the door and opened it. He looked at Martha. "This isn't over" he mumbled and left, leaving Martha shaken up.

She walked towards Jack, but she didn't make any attempt to touch him. "Jack, I am so, so sorry" she cried. He looked at her. "What was he doing here?" asked Jack. Martha sighed. "I asked him to come"

"Oh, This day just gets better!"

"I asked to come so I could ask him for a divorce" she said. Jack looked at her. "You were going to ask him for a divorce?" Martha nodded. "And what did he say?"

"He said no" she sobbed. "Jack, please, I want you to know, I don't have any feelings for him" Jack laughed. "You've spun me so many lies. How do I know if you're telling the truth"

"After everything we've been through" she snapped. "You have the nerve to ask ME whether I'm being truthful"

Jack stood infront of her. "How the hell am I supposed to know! What else haven't you told me?" he demanded. "What else!"

"I'm pregnant!" she cried.....

Chapter 29

Martha sat on the sofa. The night was upon them, and she still hadn't sorted things out with Jack. She slowly got up and walked into the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror, she inspected her reflection. Her face was pale and her usually wavy soft hair seemed to have formed it's own unique style on her head. She ran the cold water and cupped her hands underneath the tap, catching a puddle of it. The coldness sent shivers down her spine as she splashed it across her face. She clutched a towel and patted it dry, and then inspected her face again. Nothing had changed. Unsatisfied, she leant against the sink and slipped down to her knees by the toilet. She gently rubbed her stomach. It was like she was suddenly realising that there was new life depending on her to be strong, so she pulled herself back up and tried to make herself look at least a little bit responsible. Before she exited the bathroom she placed her hand on her stomach again and whispered 'It looks like it's just me and you now. But don't worry, we don't need any body else'.

Pulling himself up from the sand, Jack took a deep breath. He closed his eyes for a few seconds, before allowing them to flick back open again. "You can do this, Jack" he told himself, as he prepared to go home and tell Martha his decision.

She lay, crumpled in a gentle heap on the couch. Her tears were all cried out. She sat up gently as she heard footsteps approaching the door. She wiped her face with a damp cloth she had brought from the bathroom, and stood up, facing the door. She listened as the handle creaked and the door slowly open. Jack stood facing her. "Hi" he said. She gave him a weak smile. "Hey"

"Listen" he slowly walked in and stood in front of her. "We need to talk"......

Chapter 30

Martha watched as Jack walked into te living room and sat down. She gently shut the door and took a deep breath. "I erm..." Jack stammered. He reached out his hand. "Come here" he said. Martha grasped his hand with hers and sat down next to him. "I do love you, Martha" he cried. She smiled gently at him. "I love you too"

"But" he took a deep breath again. She could see how difficult it was for Jack, but she just wanted him to say something. "At the end of the day, you're.....you're married. And pregnant. When I found out you were married, I felt like my world had collapsed. And then I thought 'why are you being so stubborn?' you said you didn't love him and I believed you. I wanted to hold you and make everything better. And then you said you were pregnant. I just..."

"Jack, please!" she begged. "Stop!" He looked at her. Her face was still pale and they both had tears in their eyes. "Just, listen to me" he said. She closed her eyes and then opened them again. "Martha, when two people love each other in the way we do, they don't let anything tear them apart. I always though we'd be perfect together. And then I was in hospital, and it was like my whole life flashed before my eyes. I just wanted to see you, to hold you." By now the tears that had gathered were falling. Jack cupped Martha's face in his hands and gently removed her tears. He leant forward and gently planted a kiss on her forhead. He then grasped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. "I love you Martha. So much" he sobbed as they lay in each others arms. She looked into is eyes again. "Do you think we can work things out?" she asked. He stroked his fingers through her hair. "I don't know. But I want to try"

"And what about Justin? And the baby?" she asked. Jack placed his hand gently on her stomach. "We'll get through this. As a family. And as for Justin? He's just the dad. I'm going to be the father" he smiled. Martha leant up and kissed him. She then buried her head back onto his chest. For the first time in weeks she actually felt positive. Now she just needed to keep Justin from her life....

Archived