Safe

Guest Ali_

hey guys sorry for the wait but it's been taking me forever to write stuff I think it's because there are so many characters and balls in the air plus never having experienced having a baby myself I'm making Maddy's pregnancy up as I go along so I hope it's not too unrealistic!

Reviews as always make my day :)

________________________________________________________________________________

______

“I hate you!”

“I’m so sorry.”

Matilda had got so caught up in baby plans she forgot to go home and was left behind in Summer Bay while her family went up the coast.

Henry grinned.

“It’s okay.”

Maddy was wary, she expected to have to do something in return for his forgiving nature.

“It is?”

“Oh yeah, Cassie took your place.”

“What?”

“Well Irene messed up her shifts at the dinner so we caught her coming home and I offered her the chance to go.”

“Wait, she actually accepted? She hates you!”

“Well I told her Ric was meeting us up there.”

“You are so mean!”

“Well you’re the one that forced me to do it, I was facing a day with mum and Tony all over each other! You would have done the same.”

“I wouldn’t have had to lie because she doesn’t hate me.”

Henry looked smitten.

“There’s a fine line between love and hate.”

Maddy laughed.

“You’re into her aren’t you?"

“Yep pretty much.”

He was so casual about it as if he didn't have a girlfriend or hadn't been abusing her behind her back.

“But I thought she was a shrivelled prune with no aging qualities.”

“I only said that to make you feel better, she’s totally hot.”

“You are only interested because she’s the first girl that hasn’t fallen at your feet practically signing up to have your babies.”

“She's single, hot, and has a temper - she is my dream girl!”

“Did you forget about your current girlfriend by any chance?”

“I called her earlier and broke it off.”

“What? You don’t even know if Cassie will go out with you! I doubt she was pleased when she found no Ric on the romantic trip.”

“She was a little annoyed at first but I won her over with delicious food and witty conversation. We swam, we ate and we fell in love.”

He was so deliberately melodramatic that Maddy almost felt sorry for Cassie.

“You fell in love in one day?”

“What? You and Ric practically did.”

“Good point but you realise Cassie is still in love with Ric.”

“No she thinks she is because after being cheated on she craved a dependable guy that has always adored her, he’s the easy relationship and safe alliance which would heal her wounds but what she needs is me.”

Maddy cocked an eyebrow.

“Oh and why is that?”

“Because I’m hot, single and dangerous! I’ll treat her well and broaden her sexual horizons while playing her hot and cold to keep her interested and leave her guessing. It’s perfectly intoxicating in action don’t worry.”

“Playing her hot and cold doesn’t sound like treating her well.”

Maddy didn’t want to mention never bringing up anything to do with his sex life because if he knew it grossed her out he’d just tease her with it more.

“Well I come in with the hot straight after the cold it’s not like she’ll get frost bite or anything.”

“Whatever you say, you seem so confident but I know better than anyone that plans rarely go how you want them to.”

“Mine will.”

“Look, Cassie is an amazing person and I don’t want you to see her like some challenging summer conquest, she deserves better.”

Henry sighed and sat down.

“I know all that but I’m an upfront guy and what she’ll see is what she’ll get which judging by her last relationship will be a refreshing change. She can decide relationship terms and whether to love me and leave me it’s a two way thing you know. She wont get hurt although I can’t vouch for myself. My intentions are definitely not pure but they come from a good place.”

Maddy scoffed.

“Yeah and I’m betting that place isn’t your heart. When you said you may get hurt were you being serious?”

“When am I not serious?”

Maddy gave him a knowing look and he chuckled.

“Okay so rarely ever but I mean that.”

“So you really are falling for her?”

“Like a man who just slipped over the side of Mt Everest.”

“It’s easy to say all that brother but words are empty you can’t just woo her with a smart mouth you have to be genuine and do selfless things to show her you are deeper than you pretend to be.”

Henry finally looked sincere.

“I’ll be whatever she needs me to be I just want to be with her.”

“Okay then. Wait, so is that why you punched Ric?”

“What?”

“Well I know it was about being the perfect brother but I bet part of it was jealously.”

“Partly.”

“Well then you definitely have to apologize.”

“No.”

“Well you better if you want to be uncle to our child.”

Henry began to laugh absentmindedly as he considered it to be a joke but he knew Maddy had been pregnant so he quickly stopped laughing and took in a deep breath.

“So you didn’t have an abortion?”

Now it was Maddy’s turned to be shocked.

“Ric told you?”

“No but I’m not an idiot and you really aren’t subtle.”

“Well I’m sorry if the involuntary need to vomit couldn’t be cleverly concealed from you.”

“So you are keeping it? Are you crazy?”

“That’s why I thought about abortion at first but mulling things over is really underrated.”

Just then Beth and Tony entered with the picnic basket and empty wine glasses.

“Where did you run off to today? I thought we were doing a family trip!”

“Sorry mum.”

“Off to see Ric no doubt.”

“It was important I promise.”

Henry laughed bitterly.

“Yeah they had to discuss the future baby Matilda will be having.”

Beth stood stock still.

“Henry don’t joke like that.”

“I’m not.”

Maddy glared at Henry.

“I wanted to tell them in my own time! Thanks a lot!”

“Well they are going to know sooner or later everyone will whether you like it or not and everyone will have an opinion on it!”

Beth moved over to them.

“Maddy I think you should tell me the truth about all this.”

“I was going to I just wanted to cook you a meal and then break the news.”

“Which is?”

Beth pretend not to overhear the pregnancy comment, she wanted to hear it from Maddy’s mouth.

“Well it was an accident but I’m pregnant and I was going to have an abortion in fact I went to all the counselling sessions because I knew university was the right place to be and I wanted to make you proud and not cause you any more drama with a child but then I didn’t take into consideration what I wanted and how much love I could give, I’d be a great mum because I learnt from the best. I won't be a burden I'll make it work so that I'm not."

Henry rolled his eyes at how articulate and suck up she was being, he knew his mum would fall for it.

Beth nodded.

“Well I can’t pretend not be slightly disappointed with this but I trust your judgement and you are old enough to have your own child after all Robbie was almost your age when he became a dad and he is doing fine and I understand it’s what you want but I have to emphasise the difficulty of being a mum - the sleepless nights, the changing body, the money worries, the tantrums it’s all very stressful.”

“I know but the hardest things are usually the most rewarding right? Just so you know I’ll go to uni for half the year until I get too big and then I’ll come back here to have the baby and me and Ric will get an apartment and then I’ll do the other year and a half of my degree by correspondence you can do distance learning so it’s not a problem I just have to sit the exams at the local college. Ric said he’s happy to get a job as a mechanic near my uni while I study as it’ll only be five or six months and he’s going to work it out with his boss down here so he isn’t quite quitting but taking a sort of holiday because apparently his boss will do anything not to lose him for good.”

Beth was slightly speechless.

“Well it sounds like you have things planned out.”

Henry just rolled his eyes.

“What is it with our family and spawning unplanned offspring before we are over 20! Then there was of course Scott’s baby the ‘is-it-or-isn’t-it-his child’ that he managed to have a little later on.”

Matilda scoffed.

“Since when did you become the staunch traditionalist?”

“Since my twin sister who I still see as pretty immature becoming a mother to another human being. You’ll need all the help you can get.”

Matilda rolled her eyes.

“I don’t pretend that I’m going to be super mum but I’ll research and have experience with Robbie’s baby beforehand so I should be okay.”

Henry laughed.

“You make it sound like another university assignment only if you are crap you are mentally scarring a person for the rest of their lives.”

Maddy suddenly felt very out of her depth and annoyed at Henry for making her feel so.

“Shut up!”

Henry laughed again.

“Shut up? That was a mature reply! That proves you’ll be a fine mother only when you fight little Ric junoir and you are losing you can’t tell him to shut up can you?”

The sarcasm was practically dripping off his tongue.

Beth finally interjected.

“Henry I understand your concerns but being a good mum isn’t an exact science, Maddy has proven to me since she has been back how mature she is even if you have yet to see it and I know she’ll love her baby to pieces and that is the cardinal rule to being any parent.”

Henry groaned.

“Why are you always so accepting? Why can’t you just tell her she made a stupid mistake which she did!”

Beth sighed.

“Maddy is my daughter and I will support and love her no matter what maybe you should think about what your sister means to you.”

Henry stormed into his bedroom and Maddy felt like crying, he was right getting pregnant was a mistake but it was what she did about it that mattered and she thought she had made the best choice.

There was a tense silence in the room that was broken by the ringing telephone. Maddy rushed over happy to have a distraction.

“Hello?”

“Maddy it’s Lucas, how are you?”

Maddy felt anxious suddenly.

“Fine you?”

Lucas laughed.

“That was a frosty reply have I done something I should know about?”

“Sorry it’s just been a long day.”

“How come?”

“Oh you know the usual plus Henry is back causing mayhem.”

Beth gave Maddy a disapproving stare but Maddy didn’t care she wasn’t exactly on good terms with her brother right then.

“Oh yeah? Well maybe I can help.”

There was a crackle on the line and a distant honking.

“Oh yeah how? Wait are you on a cell phone?”

“Yeah I am driving but I pulled over just a second ago so I don’t kill anyone.”

“I think that would be a good idea.”

“Wow the outside of the dinner and beach haven’t changed at all!”

Maddy frowned.

“What?”

“Just making an observation.”

He sounded so silently smug.

“What’s with the cryptic - wait are you in Summer Bay?”

Henry laughed.

“Your powers of deduction are excellent.”

Maddy felt suddenly sick.

“You can’t be in Summer Bay.”

“The view would suggest otherwise.”

“But why?”

“Well me and my girlfriend had a fight and I missed the family and you so I thought I would come back since everyone is here.”

Maddy was silent.

“I hope I didn’t step on your toes or anything I thought you would be happy to see me, stupid me right?”

“No of course I want to see you I just -”

“Good I’ll be around in ten minutes.”

He hung up and Maddy felt things beginning to spin out of control.

“Who was that darling?”

Maddy tried to swallow but her mouth had gone dry.

“Lucas.”

“Oh yes? What did he say?”

“He’s in town and will be here soon.”

Tony grinned.

“Really? This is great having so many of you under one roof.”

Maddy laughed nervously.

“Yeah. Great.”

Maddy walked into Henry’s bedroom.

“You have to sleep on the couch Lucas is coming back any minute.”

Henry groaned.

“I thought this night couldn’t get any worse.”

“Stop feeling sorry for yourself, Luke has travelled a long way he deserves a decent bed.”

Henry smiled sleazily.

“Well if you’re so concerned why don’t you let him have yours? I’m sure he’s more than familiar with it.”

Maddy rolled her eyes.

“Don’t be gross, and besides you are in Lucas’s old room it has some of his stuff so you have to move.”

Henry said nothing and went back to staring at the tiny TV.

Maddy sighed.

“Why are you so angry with me? It’s my life that you think I’m supposedly ruining not yours. This is the biggest decision of my life I had hoped you’d be a bit more encouraging.”

“Why?”

“Because whether you believe it or not your opinion matters a lot to me and it doesn’t make anything easier when you judge me and scold me like I’m some slutty teenager.”

“Well you kind of are.”

“That’s harsh! Everything was going great between us now you have decided that I’m an idiot and it hurts.”

Maddy felt herself beginning to cry, it was her stupid hormones, usually she would have told him to sod off but she desperately wanted his approval.

Henry softened.

“Don’t cry it makes you seem even younger than you are.”

Maddy sat down next to him on the bed.

“I’m sorry I disappointed you.”

“Don’t be. I guess I’m just not ready to be an uncle.”

“That’s not it.”

Henry sighed.

“Maddy you are the smart twin, that’s how it has always been! I’m the sporty, handsome rascal that gets into trouble and you are the good, smart one that will go far. I’ve come to terms with our differences and when you went to uni and got top grades in high school I was proud of you because you made us both look good and made me not feel like such a loser. I’m a part of you and you’re a part of me so I wasn’t really jealous that you were the achiever it sort of meant we both were, but now all your potential is wasted and I feel frustrated for you watching you succeed so well until now.”

“But it’s not wasted I’m still going to finish university.”

“You say that now but when you have a baby to look after that could all change. You plan the future like you plan going out in the weekend but you don't consider you'll be a sleep deprieved, besotted mother by the time you want to study again and you can't account for who you will become until you become her. Even if you do finish it’s hard doing well in a job with a child to look after and you can’t travel overseas on that scholarship you were going to go for.”

“Even so it’s just something that’s happened, my potential isn’t wasted I’m just reapplying it.”

“Whatever.”

“Henry you are not stupid and you have just as much potential as me why don’t you be the good, smart twin that makes us both look good from now on?”

Henry smiled.

“Keep dreaming.”

“So are you going to be a little nicer to your knocked up sister?”

Henry groaned.

“After sleeping on the couch I don’t think I’ll be very nice to anyone but I’ll try.”

“Thank you.”

She gave her brother a quick peck on the cheek and left closing the door behind her. Once she was outside she heard him exhale wearily and felt tears prick at her eyes again.

She sat down heavily at the kitchen table and Beth put a cup of tea in front of her.

“He’ll come around.”

Maddy shook her head.

“He’ll pretend to but he’s stubborn I don’t think he’ll ever be sincerely happy for me about this.”

“You wait until he sees his baby nephew, he’ll come a full 360 degrees you wont even recognise him."

“So I have to wait seven months for him to change?”

“Maddy he wont admit it but he’s slightly jealous.”

“What? He doesn’t even like kids I don’t know why he’d want any.”

“No he’s jealous of Ric.”

Maddy’s eyes widened.

“Mum are you crazy?”

Beth laughed.

“Not like that, but ever since your father died he has been the closest male to you in your life other than Lucas which was more young and temporary. I think you even looked up to Henry like you did your dad and treated him a bit like a replacement despite the fact you had older brothers.”

“Maybe.”

“See he knows that now Ric holds your greatest affections and that he will be a permanent part of your life and I think Henry is just having a tough time accepting his sister is growing up and not needing him anymore. You are going to have a new family as well as your old one and typical Henry wants the attention to be on the one he is part of.”

“That actually makes some sense.”

“He isn’t disappointed in you he just doesn’t want to be sidelined like he has been the past few years. He wouldn’t tell you but it did upset him that you two hadn’t been in contact in so long.”

“I know and I wont let it happen again.”

“Perhaps you just need to remind him of that.”

Maddy nodded then gasped in rememberance.

“Lucas! Oh god mum you can’t tell him about the baby and tell Tony not to either.”

“You are asking him to lie to his own son?”

“No, just forget to tell him about it.”

“Why? He’ll know soon enough.”

“I know but I want to tell him on my own terms.”

“Okay then I’ll go tell your brother to keep quiet. I have to boot him out of the room to remake the bed anyway.”

Maddy nodded and began to bite her nails anxiously, she hadn’t seen Lucas in forever and she worried what it would be like.

She didn’t have to wait long to find out within minutes the door opened and Lucas was piled with bags and had a shy smile on his face.

“Hey Maddy.”

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

So Lucas is back! The next chapter will be hard to write because I'm as much of a Maddy/Lucas shipper as I am Maddy/Ric I don't know how that works but it does! Not sure when the next chapter will be up but keep your eyes open

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken so long but school work tends to pile up around now. Thanks for your patience :)

Reviews as always make me very happy!

(In case anyone is wondering the song later in the story is called 'feels like home to me' and is by Chantal Kreviazuk and is incredibly beautiful!)

“Hi Luke.”

She felt like the air had been sucked out of the room, she found it hard to draw steady breaths. Lucas wasn’t too different just a bit taller and his hair was a slightly darker blonde and he had the start of a goatee but when he smiled at her she felt something dormant waking up and she didn’t like it.

Lucas dropped his bags on the couch and walked over to her to give her an awkward hug. Luckily Tony and Beth came out and smothered him so Maddy could compose herself.

“Hey guys. Where’s Henry?”

Henry emerged from the bedroom looking sullen.

“Here master your boudoire is ready.”

Lucas laughed.

“Okay..”

Maddy smiled.

“Ignore Henry, he’s just being himself.”

“So how are things everybody? Anything much I’ve missed out on?”

Tony looked unsure before replying.

“Not too much son but I’m sure you’ll see what’s what for yourself soon enough.”

“True, hopefully it wont take me long to re-acquaint myself.”

He gave Maddy a sideways glance but when she turned to him he looked away.

The dinner was unusual as Maddy’s pregnancy was such big news that they were still digesting it but they had to avoid the topic so instead they quizzed Lucas on his life until dessert than decided to give Luke the running commentary of Colleen’s wedding.

“- So then Maddy came to the rescue and ended up being bridesmaid.”

Lucas grinned at her.

“Oh really? So how was that, trying not to outshine Colleen?”

Maddy smiled.

“Well with what Colleen was wearing I don’t think the attention was ever diverted from her whether people wanted to or not.”

Lucas laughed. Tony patted him affectionately on the back.

“So how about this girl you’ve been seeing! Tell us about her.”

“There’s not much to tell, we go to school together and sort of starting hanging out and then became more.”

Lucas was as uncomfortable speaking about it as Maddy was hearing it but Tony seemed oblivious to their discomfort.

“Oh yeah and is she pretty?”

“Yeah I guess.”

“You don’t sound too enthuastic.”

“It’s just we sort of hit a rocky patch so I don’t really want to give you her life story before I know if we’ll even be together when school starts back.”

Tony nodded.

“Oh sorry.”

“It’s okay you didn’t know.”

Henry groaned.

“So what happened did you turn all bad boy on her like you did with Maddy?”

Lucas laughed nervously and Maddy glared.

“No but like I say it’s not something I really want to discuss.”

That put an end to any conversation for a good ten minutes. When Beth and Tony went to sit down and Henry was delegated the dishes, Lucas was finally able to chat to Maddy alone.

“So hows things with you Maddy? You were pretty quiet during dinner.”

“Yeah things are just a bit hectic in my head, im trying to silently file all my thoughts and emotions away.”

“About me?”

Maddy looked at her shoes.

“Some of them but not just you.”

“I have some thoughts and feelings about you too.”

He gave her a familiar smile and Maddy slapped him on the arm playfully.

“I know that look! So stop thinking whatever thoughts and feelings you are having.”

“Why? Just because I want you and in my head I am succeeding doesn’t mean it will happen in real life, at least let me have my relationship with the Maddy in my head.”

Maddy laughed.

“Of course it wont happen in real life I’m with Ric.”

“At the moment.”

“Yeah but I will be for a long time to come.”

“How do you know that?”

“I just do.”

Lucas looked off into the distance and grinned.

“Well the Maddy I am day dreaming about has already dumped Ric.”

“I don’t want to know, really, and besides you like Ric!”

“I’m just teasing of course I like Ric and I’m sure I’ll like you as a couple.”

Maddy sighed in relief.

“Thank you.”

Lucas swallowed.

“So did I tell you I learnt to play the guitar?”

“No! Are you any good?”

“Yeah I’ve been hard at it and I even wrote a few songs. I wrote the lyrics anyway I still have to find some music to go with it but I didn’t have any inspiration until now.”

Maddy smiled.

“Yeah the bay is pretty inspiring in fact I even managed some work here -”

“I wasn’t talking about the bay.”

Maddy blushed.

“Well that’s what friends are for.”

“Want to read some of my lyrics? It sort of a poem at the moment until I experiment with the guitar.”

“Okay.”

He passed her over a napkin with scrawled writing on it.

Lucas ran a hand through his hair self consciously.

“Inspiration came at an inconvenient time and I had to improvise.”

Maddy began to read.

If I could have just one wish,

I would wish to wake up everyday

to the sound of your breath on my neck,

the warmth of your lips on my cheek,

the touch of your fingers on my skin,

and the feel of your heart beating with mine...

Knowing that I could never find that feeling

with anyone other than you.

Maddy gulped.

“It's a um great song.”

“Not yet it needs some tweaking.”

“What’s it called?”

“The way we should be.”

“Good title.”

“I broke up with my girlfriend.”

Maddy rolled her eyes at his sudden outburst, she couldn't help it.

“What is it with everyone dumping their girlfriends today?”

“What?”

“Never mind, so what happened?”

“It was going great but once I realised the best times we had didn’t make me feel half as happy as the times I had with you I couldn’t continue the relationship knowing that you were still out there. I know it sounds stupid and I don’t expect you to do anything about it but you asked what happened so I told you.”

Maddy was silent. She was fighting with herself, her new self and the old Maddy that was still hopelessly in love with Lucas. She wasn’t sure which was real.

Lucas continued:

“I know it sounds ridiculous but I couldn’t be with someone and not feel happy it’s not fair to her and she’s a great girl she deserves someone who will love her completely like I feel for you.”

“Lucas-”

“Like I said I’m glad we are friends but you deserve to know how I feel and besides I am happier alone than with someone that wasn’t right.”

Maddy nodded thinking the best course of action was to say nothing.

Lucas laughed.

“So you really have nothing to add?”

“What do you want me to say? I am so sorry you feel the way you do but Lucas you haven’t seen me for a year.”

“I know and that’s why I’m here, to remedy that.”

“Well good but we’ll only ever be friends okay? I know we said the door hadn’t closed on our old relationship but the truth is both of us were just too scared to close it.”

“I’m terrified of you locking it forever because you are scared to get hurt again.”

“I feel like we are going around in circles. I love Ric!

“I know but admit a part of you still loves me too.”

He knew her too well to lie and Maddy could feel her brother lurking closer while drying up the dishes but she couldn’t do anything about it.

“Okay so maybe that’s true but it makes no difference.”

“Why?”

Maddy felt her palms beginning to sweat, she felt like she was being backed into a corner.

“I’m pregnant.”

It wasn’t exactly the way she had planned to tell him but it ended the awkward conversation and she was able to get it off her chest.

Lucas nodded, slowly comprehending everything.

“Well it will make a good song topic if nothing else, unrequited love tends to be a big seller."

He sounded so defeated and was so gracious (unlike Henry) that she wanted to hug him but resisted.

“So you see even if a part of me (and not a big enough part to influence anything) was still in love with you it isn’t going to make a difference because me and Ric are bound together forever by this baby and I do truly love him. I also love you but as a brother (okay not quite a brother) but still and we are bound together forever by our parents so I’m just glad I have the two greatest guys in the world with me for a hell of a long time.”

Lucas smiled.

“Well when you put it like that I can hardly argue.”

Maddy knew Henry had heard everything so she added.

“I was wrong when I said Henry was causing mayhem he’s actually been the best brother anyone could ask for. He’s also the best guy on the planet but I’ll never admit that to him.”

Henry began to whistle and Maddy smiled. Things turned out better than she had hoped for.

As if things couldn’t get any sweeter Ric knocked cautiously at the door. Beth answered.

“Um Hi Mrs Holden.”

He was terrified Maddy could tell but he hid it under a polite smile.

Beth paused than smiled.

“Hi Ric come in.”

“Thanks.”

Ric paused in the living room when he saw Maddy sitting with Lucas. He wasn’t jealous exactly but the last he had seen Maddy with Lucas was when they were going out so he was a little taken aback.

Maddy motioned for him to come and sit with them. Lucas stood up and outstretched his hand in a gentleman like manner and Ric slowly accepted it.

“It’s good to see you man.”

Ric smiled genuinely now.

“Yeah you too buddy, I’m a bit surprised but I’ve had a lot of that lately.”

He winked at Matilda and she clasped his hand.

“Oh yeah congratulations on the baby I’ve just been talking about it with Maddy.”

“Yeah thanks I couldn’t be happier.”

Matilda giggled.

“Ric is praying every night that it will be a boy.”

Lucas smiled.

“Well women live longer.”

Maddy laughed.

“Exactly! That’s why I’m praying twice as often that it will be a girl.”

“When do you guys find out either way?”

“Well I’ve decided to not find out until it’s born it’s the only thing I’m looking forward to as far as giving birth is concerned.”

Both guys cringed slightly at the idea of childbirth.

Beth walked into the kitchen.

“Would you like a drink Ric?”

“Yes please.”

“Lemonade?”

Ric was hoping more along the lines of beer but agreed anyway.

Beth passed him a can.

“So Ric have you told Sally about becoming a dad?”

“I told her today and she was concerned about Maddy and her education like we all are but after I discussed everything with her she was over the moon.”

Beth nodded.

“That’s good. I telephoned Robbie earlier and he was happy his daughter April can have a playmate. They are going to come down for the baby shower whenever that happens to be.”

Maddy giggled.

“That’s great I haven’t seen little April or Tasha in ages.”

Beth smiled.

“That makes two of us.”

Lucas chuckled to himself and Ric looked at him.

“What’s so funny?”

“Do you remember when we heard about Robbie trying on wedding dresses when Martha went out shopping for one?”

Ric laughed so hard he spluttered lemonade all over himself and Beth sighed silently to herself.

Ric quickly picked up the napkin on the table and wiped himself down.

“Ric no!”

“What?”

“Lucas’ song was on that napkin.

“You write songs?”

Lucas sighed.

“Song,singular now, that was only one of two.”

“Oh sorry I didn’t know.”

He looked at the napkin and all the ink had run making the words indescribable.

Lucas smiled politely.

“It’s okay it wasn’t that good anyway.”

He looked meaningfully at Maddy.

“It’s probably best for everyone that it was destroyed.”

Maddy smiled gratefully at him.

“Well you’re a talented guy Luke I’m sure you’ll have new inspiration and a new song soon.”

Ric felt like something was going over his head but he tried not to let it irk him too much.

“Well I should probably give you some space, I’m going to catch up on my reading in my room.”

“Maddy you want to take a walk?”

Maddy nodded towards Ric.

“It’s a warm enough night why not.”

Once they began strolling down the street Ric finally asked the question that he had been dying to ask.

“So how long has Lucas been in town?”

“All of about two hours.”

“Did you know he was coming?”

Maddy knew where this was going.

“No but if I had I would have told you.”

Ric shrugged his shoulders casually.

“It wouldn’t have mattered if you hadn’t.”

But they both knew if she hadn’t told him it would have been a very different story but Maddy humoured his macho act.

“Yeah well it was a pleasant surprise.”

“It must have been you haven’t talked to him for ages right?”

“Well not ages exactly.”

“When was the last time you talked?”

“A few weeks ago.”

Ric nodded silently and Maddy took his hand.

“I would have told you but we had hit a rough patch and then when we were good again the whole baby thing kind of made it less of a priority.”

“That’s okay I mean he is your step brother.”

“That’s still a weird concept.”

“Why?”

“Well I don’t act or feel the way I do about Lucas the same as my actual brothers it’s just creepy hearing him called any sort of brother.”

“You mean you still have feelings for him that aren’t exactly platonic.”

Maddy paused trying to answer the most honest way she could that wouldn’t worry Ric unnecessarily but he anticipated and smiled.

“It’s okay if you do you are only human and Lucas was a big part of your life.”

Maddy leaned into him and he kissed her head.

“Thank you for being so mature and understanding.”

“I’m practising for fatherhood.”

“You’re doing well.”

“But as long as you love me more and don’t plan on giving him any ideas.”

“Of course I love you more! You’re the one I plan to spend the rest of my life with.”

They hadn’t talked about long term plans together that didn’t revolve around being parents so the last part caught them both off guard.

Maddy thought about trying to change what she had said but she didn’t really want to, she wasn’t ashamed of wanting Ric to herself forever.

Ric gave her perhaps the biggest grin she had ever seen, he self consciously tried to tone it down but it kept creeping wider.

“Maybe we should get married then.”

Maddy laughed.

“Yeah why don’t we buy a house with a picket fence while we are at it.”

Ric looked slightly wounded.

“Why not?”

Maddy stopped laughing.

“You’re serious?”

“Why is it so ridiculous? If you want to spend the rest of your life with me and I do with you..”

“I’m not against the idea in principal but we have enough stress especially with money without paying for a wedding. Maybe in a couple of years when my baby fat is gone and we are a bit more settled.”

Ric nodded.

“You’re probably right but it just seems to spontaneous and romantic I thought you’d be over the moon.”

“The thought of it definitely makes me want to jump around and scream but reality tends to shut me up.”

“Okay well we’ll put this idea on hold for now okay?”

“Definitely but for the record it’s probably best you get down on one knee and take me somewhere gorgeous before you pop the question a second time, it will be just as spontaneous because I wont know when to expect it and very romantic.”

“As long as you say yes.”

“I’m pretty sure my answer will be inclined that way.”

She gave him a loving kiss and he stroked a strand of hair out of her face.

That night when Matilda was sleeping in Ric’s bed she had the same dream again.

This time her and Ric were sitting at their wedding table as Cassie stood up.

“Okay well as the privileged made of honour I get to make an embarrassing speech about Maddy which I have been dying to do for a very long time-”

Everyone laughed.

“-but seriously I feel so grateful to be able to witness a guy who I love as a brother marry the girl I love like my own sister and be so happy together. It wasn’t exactly an obvious union in the start but I don’t think I could imagine you too apart and you have a gorgeous little girl that although is still not old enough to realise how lucky she is has the most devoted parents. I’m so proud of you both as we all are and I wish you all the best for your future journey.”

Cassie sat down to an uproar of applause and Maddie kissed her gratefully on the cheek.

This time it was Henry’s turn to stand up.

“Well both me and Lucas are joint best men to Ric but me being the articulate devil I am got the short straw for speaking in front of you all. I wont go into the details of how I was bribed into this duty but it’s not everyday I get to see my sister marry her first husband (and hopefully not the last)-”

There was an unsure laughter and Henry laughed just to prove it was a joke.

“-so I may as well make the most of it. I hated Ric pretty much for the out set and that only increased when he began dating my sister but the way he is with my best girls (Maddy and her daughter Willow) I can’t really resent him any longer especially with his annoying selfless ways and sickening adoration of Tilly and he is family now whether I like it or not. Honestly though I don’t think I could dislike a better guy than Ric Dalby, he is everything my sister deserves and I hope he knows it. Congratulations!”

Everyone laughed heartily at Henry’s funny speech and Maddy leaned over and hugged him.

“I love you brother.”

“I love you too my-sappy-but-beautiful-bride of-a-sister.”

Both Maddy and Cassie giggled as Cassie went over and sat on Henry’s lap and stole food off of his plate and as much as Henry tried to be annoyed he only had to smell her fragrant hair and completely forget they were even at a wedding let alone not by themselves in their own little world.

Tony then stood up to say a quick congratulations and express his affection for Matilda, followed by Alf who almost crying tears of joy told Ric how proud he was of him but he couldn’t quite finish as Willow (missing her great grandad) had run over and was vying for his attention so he threw her over his shoulder much to her delight and quickly said good luck and went back to their seats.

Then beth stood up.

“Don’t worry I wont continue with the speeches I just thought I’d announce it is time for the new bride and groom to take their places on the floor for their first dance of married life.”

Ric and Maddy got up and holding hands walked over and began to dance to Maddy’s chosen song:

Something in your eyes

Makes me want to lose myself

Makes me want to lose myself

In your arms

There's something in your voice

Makes my heart beat fast

Hope this feeling lasts

The rest of my life

If you knew how lonely my life has been

And how long I've felt so low

If you knew how I wanted someone to come along

And change my life the way you've done

Feels like home to me

Feels like home to me

Feels like I'm all the way back where

I come from

Feels like home to me

Feels like home to me

Feels like I'm all the way back where I belong

A window breaks down a long dark street

And a siren wails in the night

But I'm alright 'cause I have you here with me

And I can almost see through the dark there's light

If you knew how much this moment means to me

And how long I've waited for your touch

If you knew how happy you are making me

I've never thought I'd love anyone so much

Feels like I'm all the way back where I belong

Maddy felt so joyful and hopeful she thought she’d burst and as she stared over at her beautiful little girl now giggling in Alf’s arms she didn’t think things could be any better.

“Did I mention I love you today?”

Ric grinned.

“I’m not sure we should be talking through the first dance as husband and wife.”

Maddy rested her head on his shoulder.

“There are no rules to it you know.”

“I know but I’m busy silently appreciating you to try and talk.”

So there was contented silence before others got up to dance too (Alf and Willow were particularly clumsy).

Then as Maddy’s eyes gazed across the wedding party she spotted Lucas who was lying naked across one of the tables but nobody but her seemed to notice.

Then she woke up.

Ric was snoring beside her and finally Maddy knew what she had to do....

Next chapter should be up by mid week next week!

So what is Maddy going to do? Wait and see! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys the time is here - this is the final chapter. I'm probably going to do an epilogue later on but I've lead it up to where I planned it to end all along.

This is dedicated to Lil_tee who I'm so grateful to for uploading H&A episodes :)

Maddy quickly wrote Ric note saying she had something important to do and rushed home.

No one was up when she got there considering it was a saturday so Maddy quickly slipped into Lucas’ room. He was sleeping soundly with his naked back turned away from the door so Maddy sat apprehensively on the bed next to him.

She whispered his name and he woke with a start and turned around in surprise to see Maddy facing him.

“Maddy -’

She leaned in and kissed him softly, he didn’t reciprocate for several seconds but he did eventually and deepened the kiss as he held her hair and pulled her down on top of him.

He wasn’t really thinking about what he was doing because kissing Maddy was so familiar he didn’t really associate it as being wrong and not being his girlfriend to kiss anymore.

Maddy felt tears pricking at her eyes even as she kissed him and finally pulled back.

“Thanks Lucas.”

She sounded so disheartened that Lucas was thoroughly confused.

“You’re welcome? What does this mean?”

“Sorry, I just had to make sure for once and all that I didn’t have romantic feelings for you. I had a dream about you and I thought it was fate telling me to be with you. But when I woke up I decided it made more sense that fate was telling me to leave myself in no doubt either way and kissing you was the only way I could think of.”

“So are the tears because I am what you want or because I’m not?”

Maddy looked down and Lucas smiled consolingly.

“It’s okay I already know the answer to that, I just don’t understand the crying.”

Maddy laughed through her tears.

“It’s my stupid hormones and also the disappointment of realising I have finally let you go and that part of my life is definitely over. I guess it’s just nostalgia. You were my teenage years and now they are more or less over.”

He nodded.

“I’m sorry I kissed you, I mean I’m not, but it’s not fair on you.”

Lucas rubbed his hand along her back.

“It’s okay any day I start with a kiss from a beautiful woman will always be a good one.”

Maddy gave him a long hug and left him to get dressed.

“Wake up sleepy head.”

Maddy was back in time to get back into bed with Ric but frustrated at not being able to sleep she decided to disturb Ric instead, but he didn’t stir.

“You better not be this hard to wake when the baby comes because I’m not going to be the only one looking after it in the middle of the night.”

Still no answer.

“I’m willing to have sex with you right now but the offer expires in 5, 4,3, 2 -”

“I’m awake! I’m awake!”

He rolled ungracefully on top of her and tried to give her a seductive look but he was still half asleep.

“What are you doing?”

“You offered sex.”

“No I didn’t.”

“What?”

“You must have been dreaming!”

Ric groaned and rolled back on to the other side of the bed.

“You are a cruel person.”

“Well I’m not saying you wont get lucky today but I am so not kissing you until you have brushed your teeth and taken me and your child out for breakfast.”

“Fine but I’m doing it for the baby not for you.”

“I’m sure she’ll thank you when she comes out.”

He better.”

Maddy wasn’t that disappointed when she had decided to give up university after being back only a few months. She felt like she had evolved from it, like she was seeing things with different eyes. She was glad to see Cassie again on a regular basis but she missed Ric when he was at work and would often skip lectures to see him on his lunch break.

Cassie and Henry had been dating for a month, it was obvious to everyone they were smitten with each other but occasionally Cassie still pretended to detest him to everyone and even to him. She had refused to date him officially for months but he kept persisting and finally transferred his course to a college close to her uni to prove his commitment and she happily agreed.

Maddy never in ten lifetimes would have picked them for a perfect match but then she never would have expected her and Ric to be together either. Cassie and Henry were complete opposites but it worked in their favour as they respected each other enough not to let it pull them apart. They fought (mainly light-heartedly) about everything from politics to Henry leaving the toilet seat up but it was their ‘thing’ and being intellectual equals they actually enjoyed it.

Cassie had once boasted to Maddy that the make up sex was worth all the fighting and Maddy promptly went and threw up (mainly because of prolonged morning sickness) but also out of disgust.

“So you love him?”

She laughed shyly.

“God help me, I really do."

“Well he feels the same.”

“I know and he treats me like a princess despite appearances, when we are alone he’s like a completely different person -”

“I don’t want to know anything else about you two being alone thanks!”

Cassie grinned and made an action to show zipping her mouth shut.

“Is that the last of the boxes?”

“For the kitchen.”

“Cool I’ll start on our bedroom and you start loading them into the car.”

“Okay.”

Maddy surveyed the more or less empty apartment that had been their home the last few months and smiled. She felt so full that it hurt..

Actually it wasn’t just emotional joy.

“RIC! RIC!!”

Ric rushed back upstairs in a panic.

“What? Are you okay? Is it the baby?”

“It just kicked! It just kicked me right then! And again!”

Maddy squealed as she stroked her protruding stomach.

“Quit hogging the baby I want to feel!”

Ric smiled with joy as he too felt their child make itself heard.

“She could be a soccer player the way she is kicking me.”

“Or he doesn’t like you very much.”

Maddy made a sad face and Ric quickly kissed her stomach and then her lips.

“I’m kidding, how could he not love you?”

Maddy smiled.

“Just wait until he’s our age and he hates his uncool parent’s guts!”

“We wont be uncool- wait you called it a boy!”

“Well I don’t mind either way as long as he’s healthy, I’ll alternate because I hate calling him ‘it’.”

“Well since you are playing fair I’ll do the same.”

So Maddy and Ric returned to the bay when Maddy was five and a half months pregnant. Her mum was overjoyed and pleasantly surprised at the change in her daughter.

“You actually look the part now! You are pratically glowing!”

“Well that’s at least one benefit of being the size of a whale because there are not many others.”

“You’ve put on some weight around your face but it makes you look even more beautiful.”

“Thanks mum. So have you dusted off your grandma act it’s not long now!”

“Once a doting grandma always a doting grandma. You wont be able to get rid of me!”

Maddy gave her mum a hug.

“I’ve missed you. I got such a hard time from people at uni for being pregnant, they look down their noses at you.”

“Oh well you don’t need there good opinion do you?”

“No of course not but I couldn’t stand feeling like that any longer.”

“Well at least you can set up your new house better before the little one comes.”

Maddy and Ric had gotten a house in Summer Bay but it was a two bedroom and a definite fixer upper. The electricity was shoddy and the plumbing a wreck but Martha had offered her services for free as she was a qualified electrician and was just as competent as any actual plumber. They had a sprawling back yard but it was overgrown so Maddy knew she could clean it up while she waited to give birth. It was a small, modest place to live in but Maddy didn’t expect much else and she saw it’s potential.

They spent an eventful and slightly stressful month making the house a home but Maddy never felt bad and she was happy to note that she had completely forgotten about her rape, it was like a vague dream she had had a million years ago and she had so much to look forward to she felt like the luckiest person alive. Ric was working hard and refused to let Maddy do anything (like make dinner) when he got home. Even though Maddy argued she was pregnant not disabled he insisted on catering to her every need which Maddy eventually saw the upside to.

“Ric do you think things will always be this good?”

Maddy was resting her feet over Ric’s lap as they watched TV one evening.

“Nope.”

“That’s positive.”

“It’s not a bad thing though, I mean without hardship you don’t appreciate moments like these do you?”

“Good point. You really are the closet philosopher aren’t you?”

Ric smiled smugly.

“I try, I’m not just a pretty face after all.”

Maddy laughed but then her laugh turned to a grimace. She got up suddenly and began waddling to and fro.

“Whats up?”

“The baby.”

“Kicking again?”

Maddy’s water broke to which Ric made a shocked ‘ew’ noise.

“No I think it’s about ready to meet us.”

Ric looked pale for a moment before composing himself.

“Okay do that breathing thing and stay calm I’ll get the overnight bag.”

Maddy laughed despite her increasing pain.

“You are so lucky you are a man!”

Ric came back and didn’t argue.

“Lets go hun.”

Willow Bethany Dalby was born at 11.06 pm on a stormy Thursday night

She was the most beautiful and painful thing ever to come into Maddy’s life, she had blue eyes and a smile like her dad.

Maddy couldn't stop crying as soon as she saw her.

"You are so gorgeous."

The baby was fast asleep and tiny.

Ric after opting to be at the labour had promptly gone to vomit after seeing much more of human life than he could stomach which left Maddy with her new daughter.

"Hi I'm Matilda Hunter, but you can call me mum."

When Ric returned he fawned over the baby for a couple of minutes before realising Maddy was falling asleep so took the baby out of a reluctant Maddy's arms and held it for the first time.

"I'm going to protect you don't worry little Willow."

He looked up to view his girlfriend and smiled.

"You may have to marry me now you know."

Maddy had her eyes closed but replied.

"Not a chance."

Ric looked at his daughter.

"What do you think? Should mummy marry me?"

Willow opened her eyes slightly and yawned. Maddy had seen it too and gasped in adoration.

"I think that's a good a sign as any don't you?"

Maddy yawned and before falling asleep replied:

"I guess I can think it over."

Ric bent over and stroked her hair out of her face before placing a kiss on her forehead and leaving.

"I love you Matilda Hunter."

Thanks so much to everyone has reviewed this story! So epilogue may come soon depending whether you think the story needs it or not. Up to you! :)

Comments

Archived