Trapped

Guest -Jade-

:o 'Are your eyes deceiving you?' I hear you say.

No, no they're not.

Yes I have update.

Incredible isn't it? :P

And not just that! The next chapter has also been written...and the next...

I'm not lying, honest.

Hmm, don't really like this chapter but hey not much I can do. Hope there are still readers out there! :P

Comments are really appreciated, thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! :D

EDIT: I almost forgot - thank you to Nicole for proofing. :wink:

Chapter 35

A couple of days later and things had definitely been getting better for Martha – she had Jack, she had the baby, Alf was steadily recovering from his so called ‘accident’ and things seemed to be looking up. But Martha hadn’t forgotten about Chris. It may have slipped her mind briefly in those intense moments in recent days but she hadn’t actually forgotten, and now that she had settled, now that she had time to think, she realised that she was still facing a lot of problems. A whole mountain of them if she was honest; because although she hadn’t heard or come across Chris for a week or so now, she knew that this was just him planning his next move, lying low. And she was worried. More than worried, she was terrified. Silent Chris was not a good sign as she knew so well from previous experience.

Not only that but she now had people that she cared about very deeply and she had wondered from time to time whether it had been selfish of her to stay when she knew that they were going to be in danger to some extent. Well that was how her logic was dictating things. Jack had tried to convince her otherwise when she ran away, and at the time she could see his point, and she could also see that he could still get to her through hurting her family and friends even when she was somewhere else. But being given time to dwell on your problems was never a good thing and now she realised that she still wasn’t at ease with the situation at all.

Despite this haunting her thoughts she had kept her concerns from Jack. Not because she didn’t trust him; not because she felt that he shouldn’t know but just because he had already done enough worrying about her – he always did so much for her that she now felt like she owed him something in effect. She didn’t understand how she had ever come to deserve Jack but now that she had him she wanted to help him as much as he did her.

To a certain extent she had; trying to fill the gap that Alex had left - not in terms of love but in terms of friendship and support. They had talked, she had been sympathetic to the way he was feeling, and it seemed that this had helped. He seemed happier, at least to her.

Her thoughts drifted away once more into things both trivial and important. Her mind floated from one topic to another.

And that was how Martha had come to be sitting on the couch, as darkness settled outside, watching TV blankly whilst Jack made them hot chocolate. In fact, she still couldn’t get over how well he treated her – he made breakfast in the morning, brought her coffee in bed, gave her hot chocolate at night. He always considered her feelings in everything and she loved him for it. But most of all he was so understanding. Although they slept in the same bed, they were taking things slowly and he never once questioned that or tried to force her into anything that she didn’t want to do.

Basically he didn’t want to push her away. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her or make her feel pain; which was why he had been getting progressively more worried about her over the last couple of days – not because he thought that she was particularly fragile after Chris’ treatment of her, but simply because he knew her well enough to know that something was on her mind. And by the frown that she held on her face when she was in deep thought, he didn’t think it was something happy either. He could only guess that it was surrounding the issue of Chris. The person himself seemed to have disappeared for a while but maybe that was Martha was nervous about – the fact that maybe she knew that he would try and pounce at some point soon. And to be honest, that idea had put Jack himself slightly on edge, he thought grimly as he added the finishing touch of marshmallows to the hot chocolates. Taking both mugs he went and handed one to Martha, sitting down next to her.

Martha returned a grateful smile.

Jack leaned in towards her.

“What’s worrying you?“ he asked, nudging her gently. She looked up at him, her eyes wide, slightly surprised at his acute perceptiveness. Doubt flashed across her face momentarily and she looked down, shaking her head.

“It’s nothing.” she looked up smiling.

“Really.” she added for emphasis. Jack looked at her thoughtfully for a while.

“Martha?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you think you can fool me?” he asked, the echo of a smile on his face. Her eyes briefly searched his face and then she mirrored his smile with her own.

“I guess not..” she exclaimed softly.

“Exactly.” Jack said, somewhat smugly. ”So tell me.”

Martha paused briefly before opening up.

“I guess I’m just worried about Chris - he hasn’t surfaced. At all. If I’m honest, it’s really worrying.” Martha admitted. “I’m so vulnerable right now - I’m in a place where he could really get to me, because I have the baby, and Granddad and most of all, because I have you.” she hushed. Jack nodded.

“That’s understandable.” he added as he took the empty mug gently from her hands, and then pulled her closer, so that his arms were wrapped securely around her.

“We just have to be careful - make sure that we don’t make ourselves easy targets. Always try to go out in groups, never on our own. And then we’ll find some way around this. I promise.”

Already she felt safer, sitting there in his arms as he promised to help and protect her. She wondered, not for the first time, what she had done to deserve him - he was more than she could have ever wished for, let alone hoped.

For a while they both lay like that, on the sofa, feeling blissfully happy - sure that nothing could destroy the moment. Then Martha sat bolt upright. Shock and then happiness registered on her face. Her hands made their way quickly to her tummy and she spread her hands over the surface of it. She seemed to feel something as she jolted slightly.

Turning to Jack her face lit up, her eyes sparkling.

“Jack!” she squealed delightedly. ”The baby just kicked.”

Quickly she grabbed his hand and placed it gently on her belly. Suddenly, Jack’s eyes drew wide in amazement.

“That’s…unreal. Amazing.” he gasped. Martha smiled at their shared excitement. This was how she’d imagined it when she was young. Having a baby, that was. She’d imagined loving the father of her child - both of them going through the journey together, totally besotted with their unborn. But the next thought that occurred to Martha brought her down with a thud.

Jack wasn’t the father. And she so badly wanted him to be.

She wanted to be carrying a part of Jack around within her, not Chris. The total happiness which she had previously felt was now tainted with that one fact. She knew that if she and Jack and the baby made it through this, then Jack would treat the baby like his own, but she couldn’t help but wish that this one - her first - was his. And that’s when it occurred to her that he really was ‘The One’. As corny and unbelievable as it sounded, she knew, right there, that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. Turning her head towards his, she leaned forwards, and kissed him softly and tenderly on the lips. The kiss wasn’t full on or extravagant, but it was loving and bittersweet.

Pulling away she looked into his trusting brown eyes.

“I love you.” she hushed. “And that’s why I’m going to tell you the whole story.”

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D

Have I already read this :wink:

YAY you updated, I was wondering when you'd start this up again!

Great chapter Jade.

I love how he supports her so much, and even though they havent been together that long, he can read her like a book :)

Im not liking a silent Chris though :unsure: she's right, she should be worried! He's out there! And he could pounce at any moment! :ph34r:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*hides under the covers*

Glad you updated, and great writing as always. Looking forward to more *big grin*

You're so soppy. :P

Soppy soppy soppy!

I think it's all that lovin' from Mr O. :P

Cos he's incredibly sweet.

Awww! :P

Sorry - getting back to the fic. Great chapter missus. I don't like the baby though... I wish it were Jacky's too. :(

Jack should kick Chris' ass. Or Martha. Girl power! :D

Excellent update!

Chris' lack of presence is scaring me too :ph34r: I think its just wishful thinking on my part, hoping that he'll miraculously disappear *sighs*

Aww, and the baby kicked! Even though he's not the father, Jack will be a great daddy.

More soon please.

Archived