Jealous Eyes

Guest Nicom

Chapter 44

Jack climbed out the car, coughing and spluttering as he forced the smoke out of his lungs. He took a few seconds to compose himself and get back into the situation. When he regained both his breathing and his thoughts, he suddenly remembered the horrific crashes that had just taken place. He turned around to where the source of the smoke was coming from; the cop car. He ran around the car and swung the passenger side door open. He looked at Peter, knocked unconscious with some nasty cuts. Jack dived in, covering his mouth with one hand and releasing Peter from the seat belt with the other. He hooked his arms under Peter’s arms, and dragged him out, careful not to cause more injuries in the process. He knew he had to be quick, the car was not in a good state and he could see the puddle of petrol surrounding the car. Jack took Peter about 10 metres away from the burning car, and laid him on the ground.

“Come on mate!!” Jack coughed, shaking Peter’s body vigorously. “Peter!!” He choked. Peter’s eyes flickered open just as Jack’s nudging grew more violent. Jack shone a great grin as Peter rolled on his side, coughing and spluttering. “Let it out mate.” Jack laughed, patting Peter’s back.

“Have you got Martha out yet?” Peter whispered in a broken voice. Jack turned around to face the crushed car. He was dreading going over there, seeing Martha’s body lay in the passenger seat, probably severely damaged; but he had to. Their car wasn’t smoking as violently as the cop car, but it still had a thick fog coming from what was left from the bonnet.

Jack jogged over to the mess, carefully stepping over the parts of his car that had been thrown off when the car impacted against the wall. Each sharp piece of metal he crossed just made the journey worse, made the memory worse. He couldn’t stop thinking about Martha being in the car when it happened, the pain that she must have been feeling. He wasn’t actually crying yet, as he couldn’t believe it. It seemed unreal to think that Martha was lying in the chunk of metal just ahead of him. As he slowly drew closer, he found himself wanting to run back, away from the sight that he was trying to prepare himself to see. He eventually found himself at the side of the car, his hand on the car door.

The door was slightly lower than usual, as not only had it partially broken off its hinges, but also the car had almost tripped over its bonnet, and now laid in a slight angle, dipping at the front. It took a lot of Jack’s strength to open it, both his physical and mental strength, but he did succeed in the end. He stood at the open door, breathing in and out deeply. He slowly bent down, tears in his eyes, and looked at the passenger seat. The empty passenger seat.

“Martha?” Jack called, kneeling on the seat and frantically looking further in the car. He looked at Callum. He looked horrific. He obviously hadn’t been wearing his seat belt, and it seemed that he had flown out the front window and too collided with the shattered brick wall. He was hung over the steering wheel, in the most awkward position. Jack looked at him in sympathy. Sure, Callum had been cruel and evil to both him and Martha, but the guy wasn’t well. He didn’t deserve to die; all he needed was some help. Jack’s thoughts were distracted by the sound of moaning further back, he got back out the car, curious about the moans and groans.

“Pete you okay?” Jack asked, momentarily breaking away from his search for Martha’s body. He was partly relieved that he hadn’t found her in the car; it delayed him discovering her dead body. He knew she had to be dead, but because he hadn’t seen her body, he didn’t believe it. He wasn’t even sure that if he were to stumble across her corpse now, that he’d believe it.

“Yea, what about you?” Peter shouted from his spot on the ground. He wasn’t dying, but he had hurt his leg. He’d tried not to make such a big deal about it, knowing that Jack was probably going through the worst time right now, and he didn’t need Peter to worry about.

Jack continued to rummage around the mess, picking up shattered pieces of his beloved car and chucking them to his side as he cleared the ground.

“Where is she?” He angrily muttered to himself. He’d covered a couple of meters radius of the car in front of the wall, and he still couldn’t find her. He heard the moaning again, and ran back up to Peter.

“How’s your leg?” Jack asked, kneeling beside Peter’s laid down body.

“What-How did you know?” Peter asked confused. Jack laughed.

“I saw it when I pulled you out of the car. Here, let me have a look.” Jack said, trying to keep himself preoccupied. He was still hurting inside about the fact that he couldn’t find Martha, he just wanted to hold her in his arms once more, even if she was dead. He quickly wiped away an escaped tear as he put on a brave smile and continued in gently rolling Peter’s trouser leg up. Peter watched him carefully, as Jack ignored the infrequent tears that rolled down his cheeks.

“Did you find Martha?” Peter asked, placing his hand on Jack’s shoulder. Jack paused.

“No, I didn’t.” Jack said, surprising Peter. “She’s not in the car or in the ground surrounding it.” Jack told him.

“What about behind the wall, did you check there?” Peter asked. Jack sprung up.

“No!” He cried, hitting his head. “I’ll be back.” He exclaimed as he ran off, full of hope.

As he ran towards the smoking car, he’d forgotten about the fear he’d initially felt when he thought about seeing Martha’s body; now all he could think about was holding her. He hadn’t done it in what felt like such a long time, and now he just wanted to hold her in his arms and grieve. He didn’t want to think about the fact that she was dead; he just thought about the hug he was going to give in a few seconds when he found her. He was mere metres away from the car when it exploded. Jack fell backwards, landing on his back. He brought his hand up to his eyes as he felt the huge wave of heat sweep over his body, burning his skin. Jack lay there for a few seconds, stunned from the surprise that he’d just received. He looked up at the huge blaze that was the car and it’s surroundings. He could no longer see the car or the wall, just fierce flames.

“MARTHA!” He shouted, recognizing that the fire had reached behind the wall. He watched on horrified, thoughts of Martha running through his mind.

“Jack! Jack!” Peter yelled worriedly from his spot on the field. Jack slowly turned around and began to jog back, crying. He knelt back beside Peter, roughly wiping away his tears.

“I didn’t find her. The fire… it started…before I got to see her.” Jack cried. Peter’s heart sunk for his colleague and friend.

About 30 minutes later, Jack had managed to keep his tears at bay, thanks to other problems involving Peter.

“Well, you’ve definitely broken it.” Jack declared, looking at the bone sticking out of Peter’s leg.

“When did you become a doctor?” Peter laughed, trying to keep Jack’s mind off Martha. Jack chuckled, sitting down. Jack and Peter’s laughter faded away as they watched the last flames slowly burn. Jack stared into the flames, his thoughts slowly drifting back to Martha when he was disturbed by the same moans he heard before.

“Did you hear that?” Jack asked, looking around.

“Hear what?” Peter asked.

“Moaning, groaning… someone in pain.” Jack told him. Peter shook his head.

“No I didn’t.” Peter looked up at him, it was clear what Jack hoped it would be. “Jack, you’re imagining it. I don’t blame you for wanting to be able to hear it, but you’ve got to face it, Martha’s gone.” Peter told him. Jack looked down.

“So you think I’m making it up?” Jack asked angrily. Peter shook his head.

“No, I think you genuinely believe you can hear her, because that’s what you want to believe.” Peter told him wisely. “No one’s her-” Peter began, but was interrupted by the same moan.

“So now you’re imagining it too?” Jack said sarcastically, jumping up. He ran in the direction of the noise. “Hello?” He called. “Martha?”

He rushed around the road, scanning the woodland from where he was stood. He hadn’t heard anything else for about 3 minutes now, which made it almost impossible for him to know where they were coming from.

“Martha!” He shouted.

“Jack.” He heard a weak moan.

“Thank god!” He exclaimed, his voice full of relief. “What can you see from where you are?” He shouted, realising that he wasn’t going to find her just by tracing her voice.

“Trees.” She groaned. Jack couldn’t help but give out a light chuckle at her joke.

“Come on, anything else?” He yelled. Martha tossed her head to her left and right.

“Yea. You!” She shouted. “Jack, to your left!” Jack spun around and looked around the woodland area on his left.

“No, I still can’t see you Martha.” He cried. Martha looked beside her at her badly injured arm. She winced as she picked it up, along with a twig beneath it. She waved around, letting the leaves rustle in the breeze.

“Jack!” She shouted weakly.

“Yea, yea! I can see it.” Jack shouted happily, running towards the spot. He skidded down onto his knees, landing beside her. He tucked his hand beneath her head, and gently rubbed her cheek with his thumb. “It’s okay now Martha.” He smiled, tears of joy rolling down his face. “It’s okay.” He leant down and kissed her on her cheek and left his head resting near by, just so he could be close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need to know about -

Dave - the guy in Undercover Cop 1 who beat her, the druggie. Jack came in on the undercover mission and found out about him beating her, and then protected her etc...

Colin- The guy from the toilets. Callum paid for him to tell Martha that Jack hit Callum in the toilets. (That's also the "setting up" part.)

Mia - Jack's partner. She was making herself at home with Peter at Jack's house, and then answered the door to Martha only wearing a sheet. Martha took it the wrong way, assumed Mia and Jack had just been "Together" *winks*

Chapter 45

Jack lay in the bed, wincing as the anti-septic wipe made contact with his wounds.

“Can I go and see Martha yet?” He repeated. Nurse Julie laughed.

“No, for the 85th time!!” She smiled. It’s not like Jack knew what he was going to say. He was so angry with her for everything she’d done. For how she handled the whole break up. But he couldn’t help but be so in love with her, for wanting to get back together with her. He was confused, but deep down inside; he knew what he had to do, no matter how much it hurt. Nurse Julie’s hand came crashing back down, and Jack moaned in pain again.

“Can’t you be a bit more gentle?” He asked, referring to Nurse Julie treating his wounded arm.

“Nah. It’s pay back time Jack.” She laughed, stinging him with the wipe once more.

…………….

Martha was sat up in her bed, waving off her visitors. She was surprised at the attention she’d drawn and how many people had rushed to her bedside when they heard the news. Alf, Ric, Sally, Tony, Lucas, Beth, Tasha and Robbie had all come to check on her, meaning that she hadn’t had a moment to herself since the crash. She smiled as the thought of all her friends and family being so worried about her, caring for her so much. She was truly blessed. Then she thought of someone who had not visited her - Jack. He’d sat clutching her hand whilst they waited for the ambulance, and then again on the journey to the hospital, but since then she’d received no visits. She wasn’t ungrateful of the other visitors she had, she just wished that one of the names in the long list were Jack’s.

She looked down at her wrists, bruised from Callum’s strong grip. Her eyes flowed up her arms as she gazed at the bruises. ‘It’s all over now.’ She thought to herself. She looked at her watch. It had been 3 hours since she first arrived, giving Jack plenty of time to get himself sorted.

“He’s not coming.” She admitted to herself, letting out a disappointed sigh.

Martha thought back to the tragic accident, the one that had claimed Callum’s life. She knew that she shouldn’t be upset over his death, but she couldn’t help it; Callum needed to get help, not to die. She shook off the feelings of sympathy and tried to get something else onto her mind, which she regretted as soon as her next trail of thought began. She was thinking about the similarities between Callum and Dave. How could she have let herself get hurt and trapped just as she had done with Dave? Why had she been such a goddamn idiot? Awful memories of Dave and Callum came flooding back through her mind, tormenting her brain with questions upon questions mainly based on asking herself how she’d managed to get herself in the same situation again. A tear slowly rolled down her bruised cheek, as she reminisced the awful events involving the two cruel men over the last year and a half.

Jack, who had been standing at the door for a few minutes as he prepared himself for speaking to her, had just noticed Martha’s tears. His heart sunk as he saw her so sad and troubled in her own thoughts. She had been through a big ordeal, and he accepted that she’d be a bit shaken up by it, but he didn’t expect tears from Martha. He knocked on the door gently, requesting to enter.

“Come in!” Martha called, clearing her throat and wiping the tears away. She quickly tried to collect herself, taking a deep breath in and shaking her hands. Why this helped, she didn’t know. She just didn’t want her friend to see her so sad and afraid.

“Martha, why are you crying?” Jack asked softly. Martha’s head spun around at the voice she loved. She began to speak, but her words were choked.

“Jack.” She managed to cry, wiping away her tears. Jack couldn’t keep the stiff, upright posture that he’d intended to maintain throughout his visit, he had to bend down and scoop her up in his arms. He sat on the edge of the bed and wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight. Martha cried into his shoulder, releasing the recurring questions and flashbacks in her mind to his sympathetic ears.

……….

Martha gently rested her head back down to the hospital pillow, not breaking the gaze between herself and Jack. Jack was still sat on the edge of her bed, slightly further in than before. He rubbed his thumbs gently across her hand as he stared into her eyes.

“Aargh!” She yelled, subtracting her hand from Jack’s. She brought her hand up close as she caressed the throbbing finger, the finger with the engagement ring still present.

“Sorry!” He apologized, jolting up.

“It’s alright.” She said as she tried to calm the pain down. Jack sat on a chair, feeling guilty as he watched her in so much pain. As she rubbed her hand the diamond on the engagement ring sparkled in the light.

“What did he do to you?” Jack asked quietly. Martha looked around the room, avoiding his gaze.

“He hit and kicked me.” She whispered, not making eye contact. “I missed you so much, I was just praying for you to come in on another undercover mission and save the day.” She said. He just smiled and leant back, looking at her bruised body on the bed. He could see right through her strong front, he knew that she was still hurting just as much as she was when he walked in; that’s why he found it so hard to be angry with her.

……………..

Martha watched as Jack stared at her, analysing her as she lay on the hospital bed, anchored by her potted leg. She’d have normally moaned or made a snappy comment to her granddad if he were showing the same sympathetic expression on his face, but strangely enough Jack was allowed. She didn’t know why, but she didn’t mind – it just gave her comfort knowing that he cared about her.

Martha could see what was rattling around in Jack’s brain, something that she had feared. ‘Where was their relationship now?’ She couldn’t take it anymore, she couldn’t watch Jack contemplate giving their relationship another chance without a say or shot of persuasion. She had to say something.

“Jack-”

“-Martha” They both began. Martha gave a light laugh.

“You first.” Jack said, gesturing her to proceed. Martha nodded.

“Right, I know what you’re thinking about, I know what you’re considering. I don’t blame you; I acted like a total moron. I’m so sorry Jack.” Martha apologized. Jack sighed.

“Thanks, but saying sorry doesn’t explain why you found it so easy not to trust me, or to dump me and start a relationship with someone else.” Jack said. Martha sighed.

“Jack, I was put in a situation where all I could do was believe the story. I tried to believe you, I really did, but when that Colin guy came in… it was impossible for me to believe you Jack. You’re a cop, you should understand how much evidence was stacked up against you.” Martha said. Jack slowly nodded.

“Fine, I guess you had no option but to believe the false story, Callum did set it up pretty well.” Jack agreed. “But why did you have to dump me? Why did you go on a date with Callum so soon afterwards?” Jack asked.

“Jack, I didn’t think we were going anywhere. It wasn’t easy to dump you, I hated doing it; but I thought that was the only option. Callum had made you out to be a violent, jealous boyfriend. That wasn’t the Jack I loved. Callum had made it sound inexcusable; therefore making me feel like the relationship was doomed. Then, the date thing sort of happened because of it. I was lonely and heartbroken Jack. I’d just broken up with you because I thought I HAD to, not because I wanted to. I felt down and depressed, so when a friend offered to cheer me up, it sounded like a pretty good idea. At first, I didn’t accept. But he left me alone to think about it, to think about you and Mia. You’d moved on so quick, why couldn’t I?” Martha asked.

“But I didn’t sleep with her!!” Jack shouted angrily.

“I didn’t know that then though did I?!” Martha yelled in reply. They both took a few deep breaths, and calmed themselves down.

After a few minutes of awkward silence Jack stood up, and headed to the door.

“Where are you going?” Martha asked, confused.

“Out.” Jack replied.

“Will you be back?” Martha asked worriedly.

“I don’t know.” Jack said simply, tearing his eyes away from hers and walking out the door. Martha sat for a moment, focusing on the spot where he had been. ‘Is it over?’

Well, Martha, fear not, THE FIC is not over YET! Very nearly though, next chapter is the last! Don't cry people, try to stay strong! lol. :P

Chapter 46 -The Last Chapter

Jack was sat a couple of rows behind Martha in the empty church. He knew that she’d be here; he’d overheard her talking to Tasha about it in Noah’s yesterday when he was pretending not to be listening. It was one of the many times he’d acted as if he was uninterested in anything Martha related. Acted. That was the keyword there. He acted around Martha, acted different feelings from what he was actually experiencing. He acted cool and calm, not the slightest bothered about anything Martha had to say or do, but he felt the complete opposite. He wasn’t cool or calm, he was upset and sorry, and he was definitely bothered about Martha. He loved her so much, no amount of upset and arguments could change that. The last week had been so hard for both of them, attempting to continue their lives without one another playing a lead role. They were forced to pass one another in the street, only sharing a brief, awkward smile. Every time her scent wafted by, Jack’s heart would shatter. They had broken up, and it was a hell of a lot harder than he’d expected.

Martha sat on a pew, roughly in the centre of the grand church. The vicar’s words were unclear to Martha, as her constant thoughts blurred them. She couldn’t stop thinking about Jack. He had never returned to the hospital that day to see her; he hadn’t even talked about it since. The only time he’d look at her was when he was trying to be polite. She knew he didn’t want to even look at her, and she couldn’t blame him. She hadn’t trusted him, just like he hadn’t trusted her.

“Amen.” She sighed, joining in with the vicar. Today was not Callum’s funeral, as it was now about 7 weeks since his death. There was no funeral of Callum’s to attend to because no family or friends had stepped forward to organize it. Martha couldn’t help but feel a little sympathy towards his memory; not only was he crazy, but he was also alone. Now her leg was much better she had made a date to give her respects to the man. It wasn’t a completely selfless deed, as she hoped it would give her some closure. Nightmares of Callum and Dave would be on a constant cycle through her brain every time she shut her eyes. She’d wake up, beads of sweat dripping down her face, petrified of what was around her. She’d flinch at the chiming of her clock, or at the birds chirping happily outside the window. She was in such a state. Every time she woke up she couldn’t help reaching out beside her, hoping for the warm body to support her – but it was never there.

Martha rose from her seat slowly and drifted upwards, directing herself to the back of the church. Martha’s head remained down as she travelled down the centre path, trying to shade her tears. This was supposed to give her closure, not sadness. As she’d sat in that church she was unable to stop thinking about Callum or Dave. She knew why, because Jack wasn’t around. The only time she’d truly coped with the Dave situation was when Jack was around, it had nothing to do with him going to jail. She didn’t have Jack for support this time; she’d pushed him away. She was now outside the church, standing on the steps and looking out at the rows upon rows of gravestones.

Jack looked at her, watching her from behind. He’d got such a shock to see her crying as she walked down the centre aisle that he hadn’t tried to talk to her. He’d left her slowly walking, oblivious to him stood near by. Jack had snapped out of his daydream now and followed her to the door, which led him to the very spot he was now stood in. He could hear her crying, hear her thinking as she took in the cool breeze. Jack couldn’t take it any longer, he needed to comfort her. He moved closer, bringing his hands up to rest on both of her arms.

“Martha-” He began, but she spun around and screamed.

“Get off Dave!” She screamed, backing down the steps quickly. She paused, looking up at a bewildered Jack. She realised her huge mistake. She looked down at the floor, embarrassed for what she’d just done. Jack was startled; had she just called him Dave? He hadn’t heard that name in months! He watched her cry at the bottom of the steps, trying to calm down from the great fear she’d just experienced. She was petrified. It had been months since Dave had been locked up, and she was still scared about it. This was all thanks to Callum. Martha snivelled at the bottom of the steps, roughly wiping away her tears. Jack walked slowly down the steps, never taking his eyes off her. He stood directly in front of her, staring into her glassy eyes.

“I’m sorry.” Martha apologized, breaking the silence. “It just… reminded me of him that’s all.” She said quietly. Jack shook his head.

“You’re really upset about this, aren’t you?” Jack asked. Martha hesitated for a moment before gently nodding her head.

“Yes…” She whispered. “It’s brought all the Dave stuff back, so now I have double the nightmares.” She spoke softly. “And I can’t tell anyone about it, because no one knows what Dave was like! Granddad’s heard me crying, and assumed it’s just about Callum. He’ll hug me, and talk to me, but he never knew what Callum was like! He didn’t see him with me at the house, or hear him with me through the phone – he knows nothing.” Martha cried. “Not that I’m ungrateful. Granddad’s great, he’s really trying…” Martha snivelled. Jack watched on helplessly as she cried.

“I know.” He said quietly. “He came to speak to me today.” Martha looked up at him.

“So that’s why you’re here?” She asked. Jack nodded.

“Yea…” Martha smiled, ‘how sweet’ she thought.

Martha and Jack sat down on the church steps, staring down at the gravel beneath them. Occasionally Jack would look at her glistening eyes, feeling weaker than ever. He just wanted to cradle her in his arms, comfort her until she stopped weeping.

“Jack, I’m so sorry.” She mumbled, wiping her tears from her eyes. “It’s not your trouble any more, I’m not your trouble.” Martha cried. Jack’s heart sunk. Martha’s trouble was his trouble. How could she say that? Whenever Martha was unhappy, so was he.

“Don’t apologize Martha. You’ve been through a hell of a lot, and I intend to be here to help you cope.” He said, rubbing his hand up and down her back. “I’d do anything to see you smile… even kiss Colleen!” Jack said, trying to cheer her up. Martha gave a light giggle, sending tears gushing from her eyes.

“I don’t deserve a friend like you.” She smiled, falling into his chest. Jack sat back in surprise, looking down at Martha who was leant on him. She had her head on his shoulder, and her hands around his body. She had silent tears running from her closed eyes and down her cheek. He lightly raised his arm and placed it around her, pulling her in tighter. Closing his eyes, he put his head on top of hers; enjoying the loving silence he’d missed.

…………..

“I’m sorry, but we have a wedding in an hour, and the party will be arriving shortly. We have a bench around the back if you would like to stay?” The vicar offered from behind them. Jack looked up towards him, then down at his watch.

“Wow. Sorry, it’s alright. We’ll go in a minute.” Jack smiled. He looked down at Martha, asleep on his shoulder. “Hey Martha.” He whispered, but she didn’t flinch. “Martha.” He repeated louder, nudging her slightly with his shoulder. Martha’s eyes slowly drifted open and she let out a small yawn.

“Was I asleep?” She asked, rubbing her eyes. Jack laughed.

“A little bit.” He smiled. Martha sat upright.

“Sorry.” She said groggily, yawning again.

“Stop apologizing!” He laughed.

“…Sorry.” She smiled cheekily. “Look at it, isn’t it gorgeous?” Martha said, gesturing to the hills ahead. The sun capped the grass, creating the silhouette that reflected in Martha’s eyes.

“Yea, it is.” Jack replied as he stood up and reached down for her hand. Martha looked up at him, confused.

“What are you doing?” She asked, one eyebrow lifted.

“Let’s go walkies.” He smiled. Martha laughed as she accepted his hand and was lifted from the ground.

…………………

“You have no idea where we are.” Martha laughed. Jack continued hiking up the steep hill.

“Just give me a bit of time to get into the surroundings.” Jack smiled, standing still and looking around. Martha stood and shook her head.

“Clueless…” She muttered, beginning to walk up the hill again. “Whoa.” She sighed, taking in the view.

“What?” Jack asked, walking up beside her. “See, I knew where we were…” Jack laughed. Martha sat down on the peak of the hill.

“It’s amazing.” She smiled, looking around at the scenery. From where she was sat she could see houses, fields, and the beach. Three contrasting areas creating a beautiful image. Jack lay down beside her, pulling her down so she was laying with him. “What are you doing Jack?” She giggled, trying to get up. But Jack kept his arm on top of her stomach, preventing her from sitting upright.

“What do you see?” Jack asked, smiling. Martha gave a bewildered look.

“Clouds.” She answered.

“Come on Martha, be a little bit more imaginative.” He laughed. “What do you see?” He repeated.

“What are you on?” She giggled. Jack let out a sigh and looked at her sternly. “Fine…” She muttered, looking up at the clouds. “I see… a dog. No wait, is it a sheep. I guess it could be a sheep, or a ram if you want me to be 100% correct. Hang on, it looks like it’s running after a ball. Look, right there!” She giggled, pointing up at the sky

“Yea, it does.” Jack smiled. He wasn’t actually looking up to the sky, she could have been pointing at a random cluster of clouds for all he knew; he was too busy staring at her. He smiled as he watched her laugh and giggle, searching the sky for more farmyard animals, having the most fun in weeks.

…………..

“Aha, I’ve got another.” Jack exclaimed. “It looks like a monkey… or a horse.” He laughed. “One of the two… over there.” He pointed. “See it? Martha?” He asked. Jack rolled his head to the side and smiled. Martha was asleep. It was clear that she was so tired from the lack of sleep she’d been receiving ever since the Callum event. Jack watched her sleeping until his eyelids eventually fell heavy, leading him into his own dreams.

…………..

“No.. No…” Martha wriggled, tears streaming down her face. “Callum… Dave…. No! I don’t love you… No!” She panicked, holding her arms to her face. “Please, leave me alone!” She pleaded. Jack woke up, immediately sitting upright. He looked down at Martha, clearly upset. “Please…” She cried. Jack watched on as she wriggled and cowered, crying in her sleep. Just seeing her in so much distress made him weak and freeze. What ever was going off in her dreams he didn’t know, but Martha was clearly petrified. “Jack… Jack..” She muttered. “Please, don’t hurt me Dave!!” She cried. “No…” Jack’s heart bombed towards his throat, choking him.

“Martha!” He exclaimed, leaning over and trying to calm her down, but at every touch he gave she’d flinch and grow worse. “Martha!” Jack shouted, fighting to get his hands on her to stop her from shaking. “Leave me alone!!” She screamed, her eyes shot open as she bolted upright. Jack stared silently at her tear stained face. Martha looked down at her hands, embarrassed of what Jack had just seen. She knew whatever she did in her nightmares was bad, her granddad would come in worried every night after hearing her screams, and now Jack had just heard them. She looked up into his eyes. She didn’t know what to say, for once, she felt embarrassed and ashamed in front of Jack.

“I’m sorry.” She mouthed, tears brimming her eyes. Jack sat rigid for a moment, shaking his head.

“No, I am.” He knelt forward and wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight. He could feel her shaking as she cried into his shoulder, and her hands moving to his back as she gripped tightly. “I’m here for you now. I’m not going anywhere.” Jack whispered.

…………………

“Every night?” Jack asked. Martha nodded.

“Yea.. they’re always the same. Callum and Dave hitting me, then you coming in… just like you did when you found Dave hitting me the first time. But then he’d threaten you, and then you’d tell me you didn’t trust me.. and…” She stuttered. “I don’t want to sleep anymore. Can’t I have tablets?” She asked, sinking into Jack’s shoulder. Jack laughed.

“They’ll go away soon Martha, I’ll make sure they do.” Jack smiled, moving a strand of hair away from her face. Martha smiled.

“Thanks. I’m really glad we’re friends, I’ve missed you so much. You can always make me feel better…” Martha stopped suddenly, recognizing Jack’s sudden tense body. “What’s the matter?” She asked, sitting upright. Jack stood up.

“Sorry Martha. I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick.” Jack apologized. Martha stood up slowly.

“What do you mean?” She asked, fearing the answer.

“We’ve been through too much.” He said. Martha’s heart sunk.

“Oh, I understand…” Martha said, deflated. Now she couldn’t even be friends with Jack. “Listen, I’m going to have to go…” She said, trying to make an excuse. Jack stretched out and touched her arm, stopping her from talking.

“We’ve been through too much… to be just friends.” Jack smiled. “I love you so much Martha.” Martha gleamed, jumping on him. Jack laughed as he swung her into the air, surprised at her sudden leap. He rested her back down, but not letting go.

“I love you too.” She smiled. Jack leant down, capturing her mouth in a long, passionate kiss.

…………..

Jack and Martha strolled down the hill, hand in hand.

“So we’re good then?” Martha checked.

“Yea, and this time we’re going to stay that way!!” Jack laughed.

“Damn right. No more Dave, Jenny, Callum and that other man that liked angels…he abducted me…what was his name?” Martha asked, suddenly stopping. Jack thought for a moment.

“You know what, I don’t have a clue!” He laughed.

“Well anyway,” Martha began, pulling Jack to continue walking, “if we get another crazy loon on our case, we’re going to have to get them with knives…” Martha said.

“Martha MacKenzie!!” Jack exclaimed. “I never knew you were so violent!” He laughed.

“What? Can you blame me? Think of all the bad luck we have had! We’re going to have to carry the knives around with us. Nothing is going to get in our way now Jack. Or would you rather split up and live without me?” She smiled cheekily. Jack leant down into another passionate kiss. Suddenly, he drew away and began pulling her in another direction. “What are you doing?” Martha asked.

“Getting those knives…” They laughed.

Jack strolled down the hill, the happiest he’d been in a long while. He looked at Martha cheerfully smiling to herself and slid his hand into his jacket pocket. He clenched the small box tight, excitement running through his body. Tonight was the night. He didn’t need a plan, he didn’t need a huge romantic gesture; he needed her. Tonight was going to confirm what he’d always known – him and Martha are going to last. Forever.

Nicole's Note

It's over! *Wipes tears from eyes.* Lol. I'm so very happy, but also disappointed that Jenny didn't make a come back. :P Lol. God, this has been a long fic hasn't it? Undercover Cop, Undercover Cop 2, and finally Jealous Eyes.. Ahhh... *breathes a sigh of relief* S'all over now. I hope you all enjoyed it. :) I must say, before I finish, my favourite of all the fics had to be Undercover Cop. Don't know why, I just feel it. I think because it was my first ever fic, but who knows? Just thought I'd tell you that random crap in an attempt to bore the hell out of you! :D

I'd LOVE if you posted. It's my last chapter after all, and it'd be nice to know who's been reading. I know some people don't post when they read hapters, but if you'd be so kind then I'd appreciate it. :)

Many thanks guys for reading it! :D I doubt I'd carry on reading for all this time!! Lol.

comments

Archived