Jealous Eyes

Guest Nicom

Chapter 35- Trouble by Coldplay

Martha could hear the sound of the basement door unlocking; she quickly stood up and walked towards the door.

“Well?” She asked, as Callum swung the door open. He turned around and locked the door slowly, then strolled over to the crates. He fell down onto them, and put his head in his hands. Martha didn’t know what to think. Was he angry because Jack was alive, or upset because he’d killed someone? Each second delay of the answer felt like an hour to Martha; she was finding the silence unbearable. “Is Jack alive?!” She asked impatiently. Callum looked up at the frantically worried Martha. She looked as if she was about to burst into tears.

“Why are you so upset?” He asked, intrigued.

“Just tell me Callum! I need to know!” She shouted. Tears were now streaming down her face.

“You really love him; don’t you?” Callum spoke quietly. Martha wiped away her tears as she nodded.

“Please Callum; please tell me.” She begged. Callum had contemplated not telling Martha, but at the sight of her, he couldn’t help but want to put her mind and worries at rest.

“He’s not dead.” Callum stated. Martha gave a huge sigh of relief.

“Thank god!” She smiled cheerfully, wiping away the tears, but the expression on Callum’s face made her suspect there was more. “What’s wrong Callum?” She asked.

“He’s not dead, but he’s in a coma.” Callum answered. Martha gasped in horror.

“A coma? For 14 days!?” Her tears were making a return as she pictured Jack lying in the hospital bed, covered in wires and tubes. Callum reached his arm out to comfort Martha, but she quickly moved away, avoiding his touch. “Go away!” She ordered. “Leave me alone.” She stepped back, and held her face with her hands. Callum nodded gently, and left the basement. He was willing to do as she asked for now, as it was clear she needed some time to breath and get her head around the situation.

Martha knelt on the mattress, taking in big, deep breaths as she cried into her hands. She slowly moved her legs from beneath her, and sat leaning against the cold, concrete wall. She stared at the ground as she tried to come to terms with what had happened.

………………

Oh no, I see,

A spider web is tangled up with me

And I lost my head

The thought of all the stupid things I've said

………………

FLASHBACK:

“I don’t believe you and I don’t trust you. You’re not even worthy of my trust or love.” She said in a monotone voice. Jack’s heart sunk; it was over.

“I love you.” He whispered, slowly stepping back. He remained looking at her as he took his paces back, hoping that she would withdraw what she just said. But she didn’t. She just stood with her arms crossed, staring at him walking backwards.

……………..

Oh no, what's this?

A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle

So I turned to run

The thought of all the stupid things I've done

……………..

“Jack.” She said. She gently rubbed the side of the phone with her thumb, wondering if she should answer or not.

“Martha!” Callum yelled. Martha’s face shot up, as she watched Callum run from the car park. She cancelled the call; acknowledging that now was her time to move on, move on with Callum and without Jack. She stood up and smiled, then hugged Callum; trying not to regret what she’d just done.

……………..

I never meant to cause you trouble

I never meant to do you wrong

I, well if I ever caused you trouble

Oh no, I never meant to do you harm

……………..

“What did you do to him?” She demanded, her tears were streaming down her face. Callum looked at her in bewilderment.

“Why are you so bothered?” He asked. “He’s put you so much grief, yet you’re so upset. I thought this would be best for you, best for us. I did it for you.” Callum said, walking closer to her. Martha looked at him in disgust.

“Did what?” She shouted, stepping back a final time, and using her arms as a barrier. “What did you do Callum?” She repeated. Callum looked down at his hands.

“I stabbed him.” Callum answered simply. “I stabbed him, and left him on the floor of my apartment; dead.” Martha collapsed to the floor in tears.

“No, you didn’t.” She begged. Callum fell to the floor to her.

“Martha, it’s okay, we don’t need him. We’ll go to another country. America maybe? Yea, that’ll be nice.” Martha shuffled away from him, looking up at him in disbelief.

“But I need him.” She cried.

…………………

Oh no, I see

A spider web and it's me in the middle

So I twist and turn

Here am I in my little bubble

…………………

Martha looked around her; the cold empty room had now grown darker and emptier than it had ever been before. The harsh draft coming from the high, small windows swept in; sending a shiver down Martha’s skin. She slowly slid down to lay on the mattress, and used her hands as a pillow. She laid thinking about every bad moment with Jack, every regretful thing she’d ever done or said. But something caught her eye in the corner of the room; it stood out as a red blur in her freshly formed tears contrasting from the dark shadows. She slowly sat up so she could have a better look. She then stood up, intrigued, and began to walk towards the object. Each step she took led her further to the shocking discovery. She pulled the red cloth from behind the boxes on the shelf and a heavy object caused a thud as it fell from it. She bent down and knelt on the floor. She then lowered her shoulder and sent her arm beneath the bottom shelf, searching where the object was now hiding. She pulled it out from the darkness, and held it in her hands. She froze as she registered the blood stained cloth and the bloody knife that lay in either hands. She threw them away, and began to frantically shuffle backwards, becoming more and more panicky at every inch she moved away from the feared objects. She eventually reached the wall, and put her knees to her chest, horrified from what she’d just seen. She looked down at her hands, the hands she’d been using to wipe away her constant tears; her blood covered hands. Her eyes widened with shock and disgust, as she stared down at the blood on her hands; Jack’s blood on her hands. It was almost like a metaphor of her thoughts; she blamed herself for Jack’s injuries, and now she had “his blood on her hands.” He might never wake up, because of her. She sat there, stiff and unable to move, watching her hands tremble.

…………………..

Singing, I never meant to cause you trouble

I never meant to do you wrong

Ah, well if I ever caused you trouble

Oh no, I never meant to do you harm

They spun a web for me

They spun a web for me

They spun a web for me

……………………

Jack was sat in the speeding police car, holding the sparkling diamond ring in his hand. He watched it reflect the light as guilt and fear ran through his body. Martha could now be in grave danger; because of him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 36

Peter ran around the front of the car to Jack’s side. He began to help Jack out the car, but Jack refused the aid.

“No, I’m fine.” Jack stated proudly. Peter shook his head.

“No you’re not mate, just let me help you-” Peter said, again trying to support Jack’s weak body.

“I’m fine!” Jack said firmly. Peter stepped back, his hands near his chest. He let Jack have his own way for now, as he could see that everything going off with Martha was getting to him. Jack used the door for support, but when he left it, he began to wobble. Peter watched as Jack slowly fell down and then caught him at the last minute. Jack sighed with anger and frustration as Peter raised him back up. It wasn’t directed towards Peter, but himself. He was just furious inside about Callum, about Martha, and now about his inability to support his own damn body. Jack accepted Peter’s friendly help for now, and walked steadily inside the Diner with him.

It took them several minutes to climb the stairs to Martha’s apartment, at each 3rd step Peter reminded Jack of his offer to quickly go upstairs and sort this out himself; but Jack flat out refused.

“I’m helping.” Jack answered. “I’ve already stuffed it up; I need to put things right. I’m going to get her back safe Pete.” Jack told him. Peter just nodded and continued the struggle of assisting Jack upstairs.

Jack collected his breathing when he reached the familiar door of Martha and Alf’s joint apartment. He rested his head on the cold wall and closed his eyes as he tried to build his strength back up.

“Jack mate, you don’t look well, you just need to get some rest-” Peter began, but Jack rolled his head slightly, so the side of his head was leaning against the wall. He looked at Peter through his one open eye.

“I’m fine.” He interrupted. “Stop it Pete, you’re really starting to annoy me.” He snapped. Peter gave him a fierce look.

“Jack, mate, I’ve cut you some slack, but at the end of the day I’m your superior, and I’m not allowing you to talk to me like that.” Peter couldn’t allow this behaviour, he’d already excused the fact that he was clearly not well enough to work, and Jack’s minor attitude problem, but he was crossing the line. Jack shrugged.

“Are we going to stay looking at the door for a bit longer?” He commented sleepily, slowly pulling himself away from the wall. Peter swallowed his anger and knocked on the door, trying to not let Jack’s mood affect him. He knew Jack wasn’t usually like this; he was tired, ill and upset, that’s what had brought on his change of character. Peter had to excuse his manner, if not just to get on with the operation, then to be a good friend. Alf swung the door open.

“Hey.” He smiled. Peter looked down at Alf’s coat. “Are you going somewhere?” Peter asked. Alf shook his head.

“No. I just came back from the city.” Alf answered, leaving the door open for the two officers to enter. Peter hesitated, and then held his arm out for Jack. Jack looked at it, then back up to Peter and rolled his eyes. He brushed by Peter’s outstretched arm and stumbled into the apartment. Peter closed the door behind them.

“You okay Jack?” Alf asked, watching Jack stagger to the sofa. Jack banged his stomach on the corner and yelped in pain, clutching his stomach. His face was bright red, and his eyes were clamped shut as he tried to ignore the pain. He slowly nodded.

“Yea, I’m great.” He said sarcastically. Alf looked shocked.

“Excuse me?” He scolded, walking towards Jack. Peter however, signalled for him to stop.

“Jack’s not feeling too good, as you’ve probably noticed.” Peter informed him. Jack was too busy dealing with the overwhelming pain that the contact with the sofa had caused to add anything, so he wobbled around to the front of the sofa, where he sat down still holding his heavily bruised stomach. “He’s been in hospital the last couple of weeks… in a coma.” Peter continued. Alf looked shocked.

“What; why?” He asked, but then began to nod knowingly. “Oh, I know.” He said. “That’s why Tony and Lucas left early, because of an emergency at home.” Alf said. “You okay then?” He asked, placing his hand on Jack’s shoulder. Jack nodded.

“Yea. Sorry Alf.” Jack apologized. “I thought you were only going for a few days, how come you just got back?” Jack asked. Alf began to slide his raincoat off, and hung it up behind the door.

“Well, because it was only me, I decided to go and catch up with some friends, do a spot of fishing, that sort of thing.” Alf informed them.

“So you haven’t been home since you left? Have you been in touch with anyone?” Peter asked.

“Erm, no. I accidentally turned my mobile off and I don’t know how to turn on the blasted thing.” Alf said angrily. “Hang on, why are you two here?” Alf asked curiously.

“So you haven’t been in contact with Martha?” Peter asked, looking down towards Jack.

“No. Why, what’s happened?” Alf asked worriedly. Peter began to speak, but got cut off by Jack.

“I think she’s in trouble.” Jack spoke quietly. “Callum and her haven’t been seen for a while, since my injury about two weeks ago.” Jack told him. Alf looked from Jack to Peter.

“Yea, but they could have just gone to the city themselves, for a break.” Alf said, trying to assure himself that everything is okay. “Callum’s a good bloke, he wouldn’t hurt her.” Alf added. Jack rolled his eyes.

“He’s not mentally stable.” Peter said.

“Not mentally stable?! That’s an understatement!! He’s a complete freak who’s obsessed with Martha!” Jack yelled angrily, regretting it as soon as he finished. Alf looked in despair at both of them.

“What?” He asked in bewilderment. Peter put his hands in his pockets and looked at Jack angrily. He now had to explain everything, the stabbing, the room, and now Martha and Callum’s convenient disappearance.

“Hogens ghost! So Martha’s out with a loon!?” Alf asked angrily. “Why haven’t you found her!? It’s been two flamin’ weeks! What if he’s hurt her, or worse, what if she’s dead!?” Alf shouted. After Alf’s rant all eyes laid on Jack, who was now slowly getting up and stumbling to the kitchen bench. He leant against it and spun around, so he could look at both Alf and Peter.

“I don’t know, but that’s why you need us to tell us everything you know Alf. I don’t know if she’s okay, and we won’t know until we get some information, anything that’ll help.” Jack told him. Alf sighed and nodded, then began to draw up a list of people who Martha may have visited whilst he was away.

I know that this isn't written particularly well (I've just skimmed through it) so sorry. If I start to change things I won't stop, and to tell you the honest truth - I can't be bothered. Lol. I'm going to add chapter 38 soon after, probably later tonight. I haven't really been updating alot recently so I should make it up :)

Chapter 37

Martha was still wrapped up in a ball when Callum entered the basement, with a bar of chocolate and some milk. He placed them by her feet, and sat opposite her, immediately recognizing the blood on her hands. He spun around to see the knife and cloth carelessly abandoned at the other side of the room.

“Let me wash my hands.” Martha cried. Callum slowly nodded, and led her out of the basement. When Martha stood up she momentarily looked away from her blood-covered hands, to the friendly gesture on the floor. The chocolate. She smiled as she reminisced the day a couple of weeks ago that she lay on the sofa, in Jack’s arms. She could almost feel the same warm and comforting hug around her cold body as she stood in a trance, staring at the chocolate. Then, the feeling vanished when her hands began to burn with the realisation that Jack’s blood still remained on them. She shuddered as she continued to walk, slowly following the man she despised.

“You know you’re sick, right?” She asked angrily, whilst scrubbing her hands clean of the blood. “You’re a sick, crazy fool.” She added. Callum spun her around by pulling on her shoulder.

“What?” He asked, confused.

“You kept that knife and cloth as a trophy. The same with the car.” She yelled. Callum furiously pulled her away from the sink.

“Don’t speak to me like that Martha.” He ordered, but Martha wasn’t listening.

“I can speak to you how the hell I like!” She screamed. “I don’t love you, I don’t even like you. I hate being in the same room as you; you make me sick.” She said, her voice filled with disgust. Callum pushed Martha into the wall.

“Don’t say that!” He warned, shoving his finger near her face. Her body tensed up as fear rushed through her body.

“Fine.” She gulped, trying not to show how scared she was. “I want to be alone.” She said.

“Come on then.” He grunted, grabbing her wrist and pulling her to the basement.

Again, she had the usual ritual; he walked her down to the third step and then pushed her down. She lay in a heap, waiting for Callum to close the door behind him. When she heard the rusty lock clamp into place, she shot up and dived for the mattress. She moved it aside and looked underneath, where there were a series of cracks that formed some sort of polygon. She used her nails to lift up the thin piece of broken concrete, and slowly took it away, revealing a hole. It wasn’t too deep, but it wasn’t shallow either. She reached inside and pulled out her bag. Why Callum hadn’t asked for it when he first locked her up she didn’t know, but she wasn’t about to question the logic behind the insane man’s methods, especially seen as though his mistakes were in her favour at the moment. She searched through her bag, and took out her mobile. She stared at it for a few moments, just like she had done every day. Each day she’d contemplate ringing home, asking for help, but everyday she’d returned the phone back to her bag without even turning it on. She looked at the blank, dark screen. She needed to know if Jack was okay; she had to ring! She turned the phone on, and began to call Jack’s house.

…………..

“Hello?” Lucas cheered down the phone, happy that his brother was out of hospital. “Hello?” He repeated. Martha was on the other end, optimistic after hearing Lucas’ voice.

“Hey.” She said, snapping out of her thoughts. “Lucas I can’t stay on for long, but is Jack okay?” She asked.

“Martha?” Lucas asked shocked, recognizing Martha’s familiar voice. Tony’s head shot up from the dinner table. Him and Lucas were organizing a ‘Welcome home’ dinner for Jack, to try and cheer him up.

“Yes, is he okay?” Martha asked, trying to hurry Lucas up. However, Lucas was now too shocked to talk about Jack, he just wanted to know about Martha.

“Martha are you okay?” He asked. Tony had now walked right up to his son, trying to listen to both ends of the conversation.

“I’m fine, but I’ve got to hurry up.” Martha said quickly, she didn’t know when Callum would make his return.

“Why? Where are you Martha?” Lucas asked down the phone.

“Because Callum might come in. I’m in some deserted house I think. I can’t see much from the cellar.” Martha said. Lucas and Tony looked at one another.

“Has Callum locked you in the cellar?” Lucas asked, astonished.

“Yea, but he’s taking good care of me. I’m okay Lucas. Now tell me about Jack!!” She was practically screaming at this point, which wasn’t the best thing to do.

“Martha, are you hurt in any way?” Lucas asked concerned. Martha, however, was distracted by the sound of heavy footsteps coming towards the basement door.

“Martha! Who are you talking to!?” Callum was yelling, which could be clearly heard by both Martha and Lucas.

“Oh God, I’ve got to go.” Martha said, nearly crying with fear.

“Martha! Wait!” Lucas shouted, but it was too late; Martha had already hung up.

………….

Martha clumsily shoved her phone and bag in the hole and covered it with the concrete lid. She quickly slid the mattress on top and laid on it, only to see Callum stood above her.

“What are you doing?” He asked angrily. Martha was shaking with fear.

“What do you mean?” She asked, fiddling with her hands.

“Who were you talking to?” Callum asked. Martha thought quickly on her feet.

“You.” She said, forcing a smile as she got up. “I wanted to apologize for what I said before. You don’t make me sick; you had reasons for what you did. I understand that now.” She lied. Callum was still looking at the mattress suspiciously, sensing that she was hiding something. Martha began to panic; she didn’t know what would happen if he found the mobile. Not only would he flip his lid, but he’d also take it away from her, meaning that she’d lose any hope of getting help or finding out how Jack is. She did the only thing she could think of; to distract him. She swung her arms around his neck, and snuggled her head into his chest. “I’m so sorry.” She cried. “Please forgive me; I don’t want you to hate me.” She felt Callum’s arms around her hips, burning through her clothes and onto her skin. She hated him touching her, she hated touching him, but right now she couldn’t think of anything else to do.

“It’s okay.” He whispered into her ear. “I forgive you.” He smiled, slowly pulling away.

“Thanks.” She snivelled. Callum looked into her eyes lovingly.

“Come on, I’ve got something to show you.” He said, offering out his hand. She looked at it as if it were a disgusting, filth-covered rat. She reluctantly accepted it, lacing her fingers through his. She looked back up at him and forced another smile. He began to lead her upstairs, away from the cellar. She took a final desperate look back at the mattress, thinking about what was underneath.

Chapter 38

Peter and Jack burst through the door, Jack stumbling in front. Peter held onto his shoulders as Jack steadily made it to the wall and leant on it, allowing it to support him. Lucas put down the receiver, and looked up at Tony.

“What’s up Luc?” Jack asked. “You look as bad as I feel.” He joked. Lucas’ eyes slowly drifted from his dad’s to Jack’s. “What’s up?” Jack asked, taking in the mood of the room. Lucas and Tony looked back at the phone, now placed in its cradle.

“Um… we got a phone call off Martha.” Lucas spoke softly. Jack spun around to Peter, then back at Lucas.

“When!? Was she okay!? Where is she!?” Jack asked quickly. Lucas shrugged.

“She was only on for a couple of minutes just now. She doesn’t know where she is, and we didn’t get to ask her many questions because…” Lucas looked up into his brother’s eager, desperate eyes. “I could hear Callum in the background, I think he’d heard her on the phone. He didn’t sound very happy.” He told him. Jack’s face had now turned as pale as Lucas and Tony’s. “She said that he was treating her alright, but she sounded really scared when she heard Callum’s voice.” Lucas told him.

“Yea, she sounded as if she was about to cry. I could practically feel her trembling.” Tony added.

“Well, at least this means that she’s alive.” Peter said, breaking the silence. “But Lucas, I think you should come down to the station so I can take a statement from you about the phone call, now it’s fresh in your mind.” Peter said, Lucas nodded.

“But what if she calls back?” Tony asked.

“We’ll forward any calls to this house, to my mobile.” Jack answered quickly. Peter nodded.

“Yea, good thinking Holden.” He praised. But Jack wasn’t looking for praise; he was looking for anything that’ll help find Martha.

On the way out of the house, Lucas kept Jack back for a moment on his own.

“She rang because she wanted to know how you were.” Lucas told him. “That’s all she was bothered about, that’s why she raised her voice when me and dad kept asking her questions. That’s why Callum heard her; because she was so bothered to hear about you.” Lucas said. “She was really worried about you Jack.” Lucas smiled. Jack forced a smile, and watched Lucas walk out the house, leaving Jack to lock up. He let out a huge sigh as he rested against the sofa, his thoughts rotating around Martha. He took a long sigh, and walked out the house.

………………

“Here.” Callum smiled, pulling her into the lounge. Martha’s heart sunk as she looked around the room. It looked exactly like Jack’s house a couple of weeks ago. There were pillows, the same film and chocolate… it was like a model of it all. She spun around to Callum in disbelief, to find him smiling. “Do you like it!?” He laughed, pulling her nearer the sofa. He bounced on it. “Nice and comfy.” He smiled, flickering his eyebrows up and down. Martha wasn’t sure how to react, so she just slumped down next to him. ‘Oh my God – he’s worse than I thought. He must have seen us, he must have been watching.’ These thoughts sent her blood cold; he’d been watching them together. She never thought Callum would be sick enough to do that. It was only just dawning on her how sick he could actually be. Martha thought silently to herself, petrified. She didn’t know what he was capable of, and she didn’t want to know either.

“Martha?” He said, putting his hand on her knee to wake her from her daydream. Martha twitched with fright as he touched her; her body grew rigid again and she began deep, heavy breathing.

“It’s lovely. Thank you.” She answered simply. Callum smiled.

“That’s alright.” He said, pulling her into a cuddle. She closed her eyes; a single tear trickled down her cheek. ‘How stupid have I been?’

……………..

Jack sat silently in the interview room with Peter, Tony and Lucas, listening to the description of Martha’s phone call. It hurt him to hear about how frightened she’d become when Callum shouted, and it made him furious to hear about her being locked in the basement. He was fiddling with his phone, desperate for Martha to call - but she didn’t. She never rang, nor did she text, not for the next few days anyway.

Chapter 39 – a few days later

Martha gave a sigh of relief as she lay in a heap at the bottom of the cold stairs. Callum slammed the door shut and stormed off out the house, and into Jack’s car. Martha gave a huge sigh of relief as she rubbed her cheek. She suddenly remembered why she caused the argument between herself and Callum a few minutes ago, and scrambled to the mattress. She slid it out the way and lifted the concrete. Then she dug her hand into the dark hole and brought out her mobile. She hadn’t been back in the cellar or in touch with anyone at home since Callum had taken her out to their ‘first date’ in the living room. Martha had caused no problems for Callum; therefore he did not have to lock her in the basement. She’d been too frightened to fall out with him or to challenge him, as she feared what he might do. Since discovering how insane he really is, she had become a great deal more frightened, so she wouldn’t argue with anything. She’d spent 3 complete days up in the main part of the deserted house with Callum. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and night. The night was always the worst. Sleeping next to Callum was truly awful; it just emphasised how much she missed Jack. After eventually getting to sleep, she’d wake up, feeling his breath on the back of her neck. The arms tightly wrapped around her, holding her as she slept, reminded her of Jack. For a few seconds each morning she’d think she was in Jack’s bed, peacefully sleeping next to the man she adored. It was by far the best seconds in her long day. When she’d register that it was Callum, she’d remain still and tense, waiting in fear for him to wake up and let go.

But she hadn’t been able to take it this morning, as he’d made a move on her. Moments ago, he’d tried to kiss her, something which Martha detested. After seeing that Callum was going to persist until he got the kiss he longed for, Martha conjured up a plan. She began screaming at him, shouting out what she thought of him. She knew it’d hurt him, she knew he’d hate her for it. She kept going until he lashed out and locked her in the basement. The fear that ran through her body when screaming at him was unimaginable, but compared to the fear she felt when he cuddled and kissed her; it was nothing.

She brought her hand up to her cheek once again, feeling the forming bruise. It was like being with Dave all over again. She’d gone and put herself in the same scary, awful situation that Jack had taken her out of last time. But this time, Jack couldn’t help. He was laying in a coma, because of her. She shook her guilty thoughts off momentarily as she entered the Holden’s home number into her mobile, just as she had done 3 days before. Any normal person would be phoning the police instead of their ex-boyfriend’s house, but the main thing that was on her mind was if Jack was okay, not getting help.

……………….

Jack was laid down on the sofa, desperately trying to catch up on sleep. Peter had sent him home from work, refusing to let him back on the case unless he got some decent shut-eye.

“Easier said than done.” Jack said to himself as he rolled over, reliving the conversation in his head. He angrily turned the TV off and tried to get to sleep. His eyelids were slowly flickering shut as he grew sleepy. He was within inches of falling asleep, when the phone rang.

“Urgh.” He moaned sitting up and reaching for the phone. “Jack Holden speaking.” He said groggily.

“Jack!?” Martha exclaimed happily, ecstatic from hearing his voice. Jack shot up from the sofa.

“Martha!?” He shouted hopefully.

“Oh Jack. Thank god you’re okay.” Martha cried.

“Same about you! Where are you?” Jack asked worriedly.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know.” She began to cry.

“Hey, hey. Don’t cry Martha, please. It’ll be okay, I promise.” Jack hated hearing Martha upset; it broke his heart.

“How Jack? I don’t know where I am. And, I’m with Callum. He’s crazy Jack. I don’t trust him. I’m so scared.” Martha said.

“Why are you scared? What has he done?” Jack asked, just angry at the thought of him hurting her. Martha touched her cheek. Her swollen, painful cheek. “Martha?” All Jack could hear was her snivelling and he was getting suspicious.

“No, he’s done nothing.” She lied.

“Martha, tell me the truth. What has he done?” Jack asked sternly.

“Nothing.” She repeated. “I’d tell you if he did.” Martha said, trying to end the topic. She didn’t want to make Jack upset and angry, so she couldn’t tell him. Anyway, what would be the point, it’s not like he could do anything anyway. He didn’t know where she was!

“Martha, why did you leave it so long since you last called?” Jack asked.

“This is the first time Callum has left me in the basement since the phone call, so I couldn’t get to my mobile.” Martha said.

“Then where did you sleep?” Jack asked. Martha hesitated again; realising that telling Jack exactly what happened wouldn’t be the best option right now.

“Jack, I don’t know how long I’ve got left, and I don’t want to spend it talking about him.” Martha stated, Jack laughed.

“Martha, you don’t have a choice. We have to, I need to know you’re okay.”

“I’m talking to you aren’t I? I’m not dead, so everything is fine.” Martha told him. “Now, what can I do to get out of here?” Martha asked. Jack thought to himself.

“Is there any way you can get out now? What exit’s are there?” He asked her.

“Well, there’s a couple of small windows up high… but they’re too high, and too small.” She sighed. “The only other exit is the basement door.” She looked at the heavy door, wishing she had the key.

“Oh, right…” Jack sighed, as he frantically thought of ideas. He got out his mobile and began to text Peter, telling him about the current phone call with Martha and asking him to bring the call tracing kit. Martha stared at the door, recognizing a fault.

“Oh my God Jack! The doors open!” She squealed with excitement. Jack was practically jumping at the other end of the phone.

“Get out then!” He exclaimed. “Be careful though, make sure he’s not around.” He advised.

“It’s okay. He won’t be back in a while. He went off sulking after he…” Martha stopped suddenly, biting her lip.

“ ‘After he’ what, Martha?” Jack asked.

“Right, I’m going through the house.” She informed him, ignoring his question. “Ha! And the door is unlocked! Jack, I’m getting out of here!!” She shouted excitedly, jumping up and down. Jack was acting in a very similar way.

“Right, get out, and get to a nearby road. Try and read any signs you can, then hide in a bush or something. We don’t want Callum to come back and spot you out of the house.” Jack said.

“Aww… I wanted to wave to him..” Martha said sarcastically. “Right, I’m out on the road, there’s no signs though, and it looks pretty deserted apart from a farm house a bit up the road.” Martha informed him. “I’m near the city though, I think. I can see the tops of the buildings from here! It looks quite nice actually…” She said, trailing off into her own little world.

“Oh, well as long as it’s pretty...” Jack laughed.

“Oh, no wait, even better! There’s a car coming.” Martha cheered ignoring Jack’s sarcasm.

“Whose car? Get in the bush Martha!!” He yelled down the phone.

“No, it’s okay. It’s not Callum. It’s blue for a start.” Martha told him as she signalled down the car. “Jack I’m coming home!” She said, excited. “I can’t wait to see you, I’m so sorry for not answering the call. I’m such an idiot for what I’ve done. I’m really, really sorry Jack. I love you so much.” She spoke softly as tears of joy streamed down her face.

“I love you too Martha.” Jack replied. “You just get back safe, okay?” He smiled. Peter quickly entered the house. Jack stuck his thumbs up at Peter, signalling that everything was okay. “Listen Martha, I’m just going to explain to Peter what’s going on, okay?” He said.

“Yea, that’s fine. The car is pulling over anyway.” She said excitedly. “I’m coming home…” She began to sing.

Jack held his hand over the microphone and informed Peter of the current situation. He’d just finished when he heard Martha screaming Jack’s name.

“MARTHA!?” He shouted down the phone, only to be answered by a low, man’s voice.

“Sorry Jacky-boy. It’s Callum.” Callum sneered. Jack’s face turned as pale as a ghost. He could still here Martha’s muffled screams in the background.

Sorry it's taken so long to update! :(

Chapter 40

“Jack!” She screamed. Callum spun around to the back seat, where he’d threw her, and watched as she escaped through the unlocked door. Callum put the mobile in his front pocket and ran around to Martha. He gave her an almighty whack, making her fall to the floor. Jack picked up on the silent background that had followed the bang, and began to panic.

“What have you done?” He yelled down the phone. “Callum!”

“You’ll see in a minute.” Callum smiled. “Goodbye Jack.” He threw the mobile on the floor and picked Martha up. He shoved her in the boot, and closed the lid. “You really like the boot, don’t you?” He laughed. He was trying to stay happy and jokey, but his heart was breaking each time he thought about Martha trying to escape from him and ringing Jack for help. As he walked back over to the driver’s side, he heard Jack’s voice, still screaming insanely. He picked up the mobile and held it to his ear.

“You’re still there?” He laughed.

“What do you mean, she likes the boot?! Why isn’t she screaming?!” Jack asked worriedly.

“You’re the cop, you work it out.” Callum smiled evilly, getting into the car. “Anyway, what did she tell you?” Callum asked.

“Nothing.” Jack sighed, angry with himself for not pushing the questions.

“So nothing about me hitting her?” Callum asked, surprised.

“YOU HIT HER?” Jack yelled angrily down the phone. Callum laughed in response to Jack’s reply. ‘Oh, this is quite fun.’ He thought to himself.

“I guess she didn’t tell you about last night, or the night before, did she?” Callum asked, grinning.

“What do you mean? What happened!?” Jack began to panic.

“Did she tell you who she slept with?” He asked.

“No…” Jack said, sick to the stomach with anger.

“Me.” He answered smugly. “She went to sleep with me, and woke up with me, in my arms. But don’t feel jealous Jacky-boy, she was thinking about you all the time. In her sleep she’d say your name. And every morning when she’d wake up, her first words would be ‘Jack I love-’, and then she’d click that it’s me and not you. I tried to ignore it and blame it on sleep deprivation. But I can’t anymore. Not after this.”

“What does that mean?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know Jack. For once, I’ve got nothing planned.” Callum sighed. “Well, I’m going to go, I’ve got some thinking to do.” Callum said.

“No! Don’t hang up! Come on, we can work something out! Please!” Jack begged. “I’ll do anything! I’ll let you run, just please let her go!” Jack pleaded. Callum laughed.

“No Jack. You can’t do anything, only she can.” Callum said simply, hanging up the phone. He quickly turned it off, and went to throw it out the window, when an idea popped into his head.

“Well, the poor guy is worried about her, the least I could do is inform him on what’s going on…” Callum smirked to himself, getting out the car.

…………

Jack looked towards Peter.

“Please say you traced it?” Jack begged. Peter slammed the laptop shut.

“No.” He sighed angrily. Jack walked towards the wall, drumming his fists onto the light paint. He was disturbed however by his mobile tone. He spun around and stared at it, and then rushed over towards it to read the display.

“I’ve got a multimedia message.” Jack told Peter.

“Maybe I should open this mate.” Peter suggested, predicting that whatever Callum was sending was going to cause more Jack more grief than happiness. But it was too late; Jack had already opened it, and a look of shock and horror displayed on his face. He shoved the mobile to Peter’s chest and collapsed on the sofa. Peter looked at it. It had a picture of Martha laid in the boot unconscious. The bruises on her face, arms, and legs were clearly visible from the position she was in. There was a caption underneath.

Each bruise is there for when she tells me she loves you. Love hurts, eh?

The caption just added to Jack’s overwhelming guilt. The pain Callum inflicted on Martha was because of him, and he couldn’t stop it.

………………

Martha slowly woke up to find Callum staring at her, noticing his strange expression straight away.

“Why are you crying?” She asked groggily, rubbing her head.

“Because of you. You don’t love me; you love Jack.” He cried. Martha looked up at him as if to say ‘No der.’ Instead of voicing her thoughts, she sat silently, staring at Callum.

“If you love me, then why are you doing this to me?” She asked him, confused.

“Because we’re meant to be together. Because I love you.” He said. “Jack’s not for you; I just can’t drill it into either of your thick skulls. I’ve done everything for you Martha, yet you still go running back to him. I’ve suddenly realised that I’m not going to be able to make you love me.” He said. Martha sighed with relief.

“So, you’re ending this?” She asked hopefully. Callum shook his head.

“No. You’re just going to have to grow up a bit and get on with the plan, you’re not going to ruin it.” He told Martha. ‘What plan?’ Martha thought to herself.

Seen as though I've been called Callum, I guess I should post the next chapter up now. :) lol

Chapter 41 - For Bell. :)

Callum sat at the kitchen table, staring at the mobile.

“I don’t think Martha will be planning any great escapes any time soon to see Jacky-boy, so she’ll soon forget about him. Unfortunately, he’s still going to keep looking for her, unless I do something about it. If I wind him up, make him feel guilty, then he’s going to realise looking for her will make it worse. He’ll have to stop if he truly loves her.” Callum smiled to himself. He then slid the mobile away from him, and brought a piece of glossy paper close to his body. He stroked it gently.

“I miss you so much.” He told the woman in the photo. The young, pretty, brunette girl. “I should have been with you in that car. I should have been holding your hand as you crashed. But don’t worry, I’ve been given another chance to fix it.” He smiled, staring lovingly into his ex-fiancé’s eyes. She was tall and beautiful, the spitting image of Martha.

…………………..

Jack stormed out of the house, and close behind was a worried Peter.

“What are you doing mate?” Peter asked.

“There must be something we’ve missed. I’m going back to the station.” Jack said, jumping into his car.

“Well I’m coming with you!” Peter shouted, running around to the passenger side door.

………………….

“So, why didn’t you tell Jack that I hit you?” Callum asked. Martha looked up at him.

“You told him, didn’t you?” She asked. Callum nodded.

“And about you sleeping with me.” Callum said.

“Great.” She mumbled under her breath sarcastically. “You did say NEXT to you, right?” She asked, worried that Jack might have got the wrong impression. Callum just grinned evilly, and stood up, grabbing her arm.

“Come on, you’ve had your drink.” He said, taking her back to the basement. He knew that Jack was aware they only slept next to each other, but he enjoyed seeing how worried Martha got. Maybe he could make her understand how much pain she was putting him through.

…………………

Jack was frantically looking through the evidence, desperately looking for any clues. Peter was sat beside him, also scanning through documents and other evidence. Frustrated, Jack pushed the papers off the desk, sending them flying through the air.

“Why the hell did you do that?” Peter demanded, but Jack just sat, staring as the papers slowly floated towards the floor.

“You should have heard her on the phone Pete, she was so happy when she escaped. She kept chanting ‘I’m going home.’” Jack said quietly. Peter put his hand on Jack’s shoulder. “She was so close! She was ecstatic! Then it was all taken away from her, just like that.” Jack continued. “I told her to hide, but she wouldn’t listen! She just kept on talking, and told me that she was looking forward to seeing me.” Jack sighed. “I got caught in the moment, and I should have been thinking straight. Maybe then she’d be okay, maybe she’d be with me.” Peter sighed.

“Look mate. It’s not your fault. You know what she’s like, she wouldn’t have listened.” Peter looked down at the only remaining piece of paper on the desk. He picked it up and looked at it for a moment. It was one of the photos taken from the wall.

“I haven’t seen her in weeks, only that one picture of her lying in the boot. I don’t know how she is really, she could be an emotional wreck!” Jack cried. Peter handed Jack the photo of Martha. Jack stared at the photo for a moment, his eyes began to fill with frustrated tears. She was sat on a swing, grinning happily at the camera. The way the sun reflected from her glossy hair compensated the polluting roads and tall buildings of the city in the background. It created a beautiful display.

“What’s this?” Jack asked, confused.

“It’s a picture of Martha. You know, from her shrine in Callum’s apartment?” Peter reminded him.

“No it isn’t.” Jack said. “This isn’t Martha.” He stated, handing the photo back to Peter. “Look on her arm.” Jack ordered. Peter brought the photo closer to his face. “There’s no birthmark.” Jack told him. “Martha’s got one on her lower forearm, it’s not big, but you’d be able to see it from where the photo was taken.” Jack told him.

“You sure about this mate?” Peter asked, still concentrating on her arm. Jack nodded.

“Yea. It looks like a really little paw print.” Jack smiled to himself.

“Well, maybe it’s just not visible, the sun is quite strong on this picture.” Peter suggested. Jack shook his head.

“Also, the woman’s looking directly at the camera and smiling. She obviously knows the man is there taking the picture.” Jack said, “And it’s in the city. Martha hasn’t been to the city with Callum.” Jack added, before swiping the photo from Peter. “And, she’s not half as beautiful as Martha.” Jack smiled, looking at the woman’s face. “Look at her again; she’s not Martha.” Jack ordered, handing the photo back. Peter let his eyes lay back onto the shiny surface of the photo, and onto the woman’s face. Jack was right; it wasn’t Martha. It seemed so obvious now he’d pointed it out; it made him wonder why he hadn’t noticed before. By the time Peter had raised his eyes from the photo, Jack had stood up and cleared the floor, returning all the papers messily on his desk.

“Where are you going?” Peter asked curiously, as he watched Jack put on his jacket.

“To Martha’s shrine.” He answered, grabbing his hat and walking out the station.

…………………

Jack walked into the room; it still made his blood run cold. His heart pumped furiously as he looked up at all the pictures of Martha, wishing that she were here. He was really missing her, even though she’d caused him so much grief the last few days she was around. He scanned the hundreds of photos on each of the 4 walls for hours, looking for another photo of the mystery woman. It took him hours to reach the final wall, but when he did, he found the photos that he’d been looking for.

“Here!” Jack shouted, grabbing Peter’s attention. “And another. Oh my God Peter…” Jack exclaimed, stepping back and looking at the entire photo covered wall. “These are all of the woman.” Jack stated. “Those 3 walls are of Martha, and this one of the woman.” He said, turning around to Peter.

“Well, he must know this woman, because she’s aware that the photo’s are being taken.” Peter said. “Maybe she’s an ex? Or a dead family member or friend?” Peter suggested. Jack nodded.

“Yea, and then maybe he’s using Martha as a substitute or something…” Jack agreed.

“Yea, that’d make sense… but a substitute for who?” Peter asked. Jack walked up to the wall, tracing his finger along each one as he studied it.

“They’re all taken near the city. There’s the same green foreground, then the city in the background.” Jack said. “But the tall buildings are far away, not close. How far away would you say?”

“A couple of miles?” Peter estimated. Jack nodded.

“Yea, that seems about right.” Jack said. “It looks like a pretty deserted place, apart from that house in the distance.” Jack surveyed, pointing at the farmhouse in one of the photos. He closed his eyes, thinking about what Martha had said on the phone.

FLASHBACK:

“Right, I’m out on the road, there’s no signs though, and it looks pretty deserted apart from a farm house a bit up the road. I’m near the city though, I think. I can see the tops of the buildings from here! It looks quite nice actually…”

“Peter, this is where Martha was!” Jack shouted, tapping the photo. “She said she could see the city, and a lonely farmhouse up the road!” Jack exclaimed.

“Maybe it was his old house? It’s in the city, that’s where he used to live, before…” Peter began.

“…his fiancé died!” Jack finished. “I bet it’s her! See, she’s got an engagement ring on.” Jack said, side stepping to one of the many photos stuck up. Jack plucked the photo from the wall and read the back. “Aww this is getting better.” Jack laughed, showing Peter the back of the photo. Peter joined in the celebratory laugh.

“20th December 2004. In the back garden.” Peter read aloud. “Right, let’s get these down and go back to the station with them. We can get a map and draw up a 2 mile radius around the city, then use the photos to piece together the location.” Peter suggested. Jack nodded eagerly.

“We’re finally getting somewhere Pete.” Jack cheered, quickly removing the photos from the wall.

Chapter 42

Martha had given up, it was now the morning after her failed attempted to escape and the situation had worsened. Callum was being more abusive and more forward. He was kissing her, touching her, doing everything she hated; just because he could. He kept tormenting her like this, just for sweet revenge. She’d broken his heart and made him hurt, so it was only fair he do the same. He’d actually forgotten to keep in touch with Jack as he’d been focusing on Martha. Martha and his plans.

Martha sat staring out the window, wishing that she could just hop outside and run to Jack. But she couldn’t, as Callum was eagerly watching her. She spun around as she felt Callum’s cold hand on her upper arm, pulling her out of her chair.

“Come on, this way.” He ordered, taking her through to the living room. He pushed her down onto the sofa and threw a book onto her lap. “Open it.” He ordered. Martha did as she was told, and slowly turned over the front page. She looked at the photo’s that lay inside, neatly organized in chronological order.

“She looks just like me.” Martha said, stroking the pictures. Callum smiled.

“Yea, amazing isn’t it? It’s like it’s a sign.” He said. “I lost my fiancé, and then found you.” He grinned.

“Ohh..” Martha sighed sympathetically. “This was your fiancé?” She asked. Callum slowly nodded.

“Yea. We would have been so happy, but God chose to end her life.” Callum said quietly. “I should have been in the car when it happened, I should have been with her when she died.” He explained. Martha shot her glance up to Callum’s upset face.

“I’m so sorry.”

“It’s fine, everything will be sorted out soon.” Callum smiled.

“What do you mean?” Martha asked confused.

“God’s given me another chance. Another chance with you.” He stated, but continued when he saw Martha’s bewildered face. “I was supposed to die with my fiancé, but that never went to plan. So I jumped off the cliff when I was unable to live without Susan, but God saved me. At first I didn’t know why, but when I met you, it all clicked. You’re just like Susan - God sent you as a replacement.” Callum said. “I soon realised that the reason why God saved me from my suicide attempt wasn’t because I’m destined to live, it was because I am destined to die.”

“What?” Martha asked, utterly confused. “You’re making no sense.” She exclaimed. Callum ignored her and continued.

“Like I said before, I was supposed to die in that car with my fiancé; but I didn’t. God’s given me another chance to put it right; with you. This time, I’ll be in the car aswell, and when we both crash, I’ll be allowed to pass on and see the love of my life. I guess I was just destined to die with my fiancé in a car crash…” Callum smiled.

“Huh? You have a screw lose, seriously. And I’m not even your fiancé!” She exclaimed. Callum gave an evil smirk. She read his face, instantly realising what he was thinking. “No!” She screamed standing up. “I’ll never agree to marrying you.” She told him. “You’re crazy.” She yelled, running towards the door. But it was locked. She spun around to see Callum close behind her, breathing on her face. She tried to wriggle away but it was no use, he’d trapped her. He reached inside his pocket and pulled out a sparkling ring. He grabbed her hand and forced the ring onto her finger. She screamed as he applied all his force, squeezing her finger into the small hole.

“There.” He sighed, holding up her wrist and gazing at the beautiful diamond ring embedded into her finger. Martha watched slowly as the blood trickled down the palm of her hand and down her arm. Her knuckle was throbbing as the blood oozed from the deep gashes that the blunt edge of the ring had caused. She looked up at Callum with tears in her eyes.

“Why are you doing this?” She cried. Callum didn’t answer; he just reached into his pocket and took out Martha’s mobile. She watched him as he turned the mobile on and pointed it in her direction. “What are you doing?” She snivelled, as he took a picture of her hand.

“Just keeping Jack informed.” He smiled, sending the text.

………………….

Jack picked up his mobile, looking on the display.

“I’ve got another multimedia message.” Jack told Peter as he opened it. “Oh my God.” He gasped, looking at the horrific mess on Martha’s hand. Peter walked around the back of him and peered over his shoulder at the message. They both read the caption underneath.

Are those jealous eyes returning Jacky-boy?

Jack looked up at Peter.

“Come on, we can work quicker than this!!” Jack exclaimed, trying to keep the image of Martha’s bleeding hand out of his mind. Unfortunately, no amount of work he could do would keep his mind off Martha. She’d obviously struggled when he put the engagement ring on, that’s why she had such horrific injuries to her finger. But why was he so persistent? Surely it wouldn’t be just so he could send a picture of it to Jack. Jack’s mind was working over time, he couldn’t take not knowing what was going on, and so he grabbed his mobile from the desk and dialled Martha’s number.

Chapter 43 - For jacknmarthaluver! HAPPY NOW!? lol

“This means nothing.” Martha exclaimed, trying to pull the ring off. But she didn’t succeed as she soon yelped in pain as she caught the painful skin on her knuckle. “I don’t love you; I love Jack!” She cried. Callum’s face built up with fury.

“Martha, will you marry me?” He asked through gritted teeth. Martha looked up at him, and forced a laugh through her pain.

“Hell no.” She said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if Susan crashed the car herself, to get away from you.” She added. Callum turned red with anger and lashed out, throwing her to the floor.

“Don’t say that!!” He screamed. “Now, Martha. Will you marry me?” He said, raising his hand again. Martha looked at the angry, strong arm that he was threatening her with.

“Yes.” She mumbled to the floor, afraid to say anything else.

“Good answer.” Callum smiled, dropping his arm back to his side.

*Beep Beep*

Callum spun around to the mobile he’d abandoned on the sofa. He sighed as he stood up and walked over to the vibrating phone.

“Sorry, Martha can’t come to the phone right now… she’s… tired.” Callum smiled, he himself was surprised at how he was reacting to his cruel, indecent behaviour.

“What do you mean?” Jack demanded. “You know what, I don’t want to know. I just called to tell you that you’re not getting away with this. We’re going to find you.” He threatened. Peter had now noticed that Jack was on his phone, and had quickly realised who he was talking to. He popped his laptop open, and signalled for Jack to come closer.

“And how do you suppose you’re going to do that?” Callum laughed. “And anyway, whenever you find us, it’ll be too late.” Callum sneered.

“What does that mean?” Jack asked, worried.

“Well, let’s just say my destiny is nearly fulfilled, with one more car journey to make and it’ll be over.” Callum smiled.

“What destiny?” Jack asked, trying to stall Callum.

“Mine and Martha’s.” He said. Jack froze. Peter looked up from the screen. He could hear everything that was going on thanks to the police headphone gear.

Callum laughed at Jack’s painful silence, and chucked the phone to Martha, but she didn’t move from her curled up heap on the floor; she was too petrified. She just remained hugging her knees, and crying silently.

“Martha?!” Jack asked, recognizing her familiar breathing. “Martha, are you okay?” He asked, but Martha didn’t respond, she just continued to watch the phone as she snivelled. “Please Martha, talk to me! Say anything! I can hear you crying. What has he done to you?” Jack pleaded. Martha slowly withdrew her hand from under her knee and reached out for the phone. She picked it up gently and placed it to her ear.

“Jack.” She spoke softly, trying to keep back the tears.

“Martha, what has he done?” Jack begged for an answer.

“He’s… he’s made me into Susan.” She answered, looking at the ring. “He wants me to be her; he’s going to kill me Jack.” She wept. Jack was stunned.

“What? Why?” Jack asked.

“Something about Susan, his dead fiancé.” She whispered. “I love you Jack.” She said, “Bye.” She added.

“No, wait!!” He yelled, but it was too late, the phone had already been passed over to Callum.

“I’m sorry, I’ve got to go too.” Callum laughed. “Things to do.” He finished, hanging up the call.

…………………

Jack spun around to Peter.

“Please say you’ve got something from that!?” He begged. Peter nodded his head.

“Yea. Come on!” He yelled, picking up the print out before they ran out towards the car.

Jack and Peter were speeding through the quiet town, sirens blazing. Martha had only been 10 minutes away on a lonely road the whole time, which sickened Jack to the stomach.

…………………

Martha was laid down on the mattress, crying her pain away as she slowly spent the last hour of her life thinking about Jack. Her thoughts were disturbed by a sudden decrease in light. She looked up at her only source, the window on the far right. It was the only one that wasn’t blocked up by ivy, the only one that she could obtain light from. She watched as the figure outside slowly moved around the window, rustling around in the dead bushes. Then suddenly, the movement stopped, but the figure remained. She watched in bewilderment as the person hovered around the window, carefully scratching the window. The only thing that could be heard was the gentle tap on the window. Martha sat up and stared at the shadow, praying that it would go away, but to her shock it didn’t. It remained silent for a while, until it unleashed a quick, sharp shatter, allowing more light to sweep through.

“Martha?” Jack asked, poking his head through. He looked down on the mattress, to where Martha was sat. To be honest, she looked awful. Bruises covered her body like patchwork, and the tears just added to the tired, weak look.

“Oh my God Jack! How did you find me?” She asked, jumping up from the mattress.

“You make it sound like you didn’t think I would be clever enough.” Jack joked, trying to cheer Martha up.

“Jack please get me out of here before he comes back.” She pleaded. Jack nodded.

“Yea, I will. Come on, you need to find a way to get up here. If I clear away the broken glass, then you should be able to fit through.” Jack said. Martha nodded and began to shift boxes around, trying to form some sort of steps. She’d already moved boxes when she first arrived; she’d picked them up and taken them from the top shelves. But now, Martha was weaker, and she had great trouble with pushing the boxes, let alone picking them up.

“Jack I can’t do it.” She cried, sitting down on the floor.

“No, Martha you can!” Jack assured her. Martha shook her head. “Please try.” Jack begged. Martha looked up into his eyes; his brown, glassy eyes.

“Okay.” She spoke softly, standing up and attempting an escape once more.

…………………..

Peter was stood beside Jack, frantically calling for back up.

“But be quiet about it! I want no sirens, understood?” Peter whispered down the phone. He ended the call and looked around for any signs of movement or Callum. They’d been lucky to find the house without Callum guarding it; almost too lucky. Maybe it was because Peter had a suspicious mind, but he still doubted that the escape would be smooth running.

Chapter 44

“Yes! That’s it. Now if you can just grab my hand and I’ll help you up.” Jack grinned, leaning and stretching his arm down. Martha smiled as she began to climb up to many boxes she’d piled together. She quickly reached the highest and stood on it. She reached her arms up and Jack grabbed her hand. His warm hand even gave her a tingle in this situation! Martha snapped out of her loving stare and began to pull herself up with Jack’s hand.

Everything was going great, Martha was mere inches away from the outside world and she could smell the lustrous trees. Her legs were now dangling in mid air, waving around as she struggled to get up. Jack pulled her with all his strength, quickly raising her up to the ground level. Both of them had been so occupied that neither had seen or heard Callum walk behind Martha. He reached out for her ankles, and gave a short, sharp tug. Jack, caught unaware, lost his grip, as Martha slid through his hands. Martha let out a yelp before crashing onto the boxes, and fell unconscious.

“Martha!” Jack shouted, watching her in slow motion as she fell. He looked up at Callum’s grin.

“God you’re thick.” Callum muttered, picking up Martha.

“Wait, Callum! What do you think you’re doing? Give yourself up now! Back up will be here any minute, but if you hand yourself in you’ll get off with a lighter sentence.” Jack reasoned, but Callum shook his head.

“No Jack. I’m not going to jail.” He smiled, walking to the concrete steps and up through the basement door. Jack stood up and ran to the front of the house. He and Peter both knocked the door open, and slowly crept through the rooms. They had their guns high, and their eyes wide open, ready for anything that Callum could do. They soon covered the whole of the house, and found no sign of Callum or Martha.

“Where the hell are they?” Jack whispered angrily to Peter when they met up in the lounge.

“He said something about a car journey didn’t he?” Peter said. Jack looked shocked.

“Damn, let’s go-” He began, but was disturbed by a scream.

“JACK!” Jack and Peter both spun around to the direction where the scream was coming from. Outside. They frantically ran through the house, their guns still in position. Jack skidded through the front door to be horrified by what he saw. Callum’s garage door was slowly opening, revealing Martha and him in the front seats. Jack raised his gun to shoot, but Peter quickly dragged it down.

“It’s too risky! You might get Martha!” He exclaimed. “Come on, get in the car.” Peter shouted as he ran to the vehicle. Jack hopped in the driving seat and started the engine. He looked up out of the window screen and watched Callum screech out of the drive before him. Jack slammed his foot on the accelerator, and followed the car ahead.

From where Jack was sat, he could see the outline of Martha’s struggling body as she tried to get away. He should have been watching the road, but he couldn’t help watch as Callum lifted his hand and once again hit her. Jack’s hands clenched the steering wheel hard as he looked on helplessly. Peter was also watching Callum lash out on Martha, and disgust ran through his body. Peter held his phone up to his ear.

“Where the hell are you?” He shouted down the phone. “I called for back up 10 minutes ago.” He yelled.

“Sorry, but we can’t find where you are.” The Sergeant apologized. “We sent all our squad out, but no one can locate you.” Peter sighed angrily.

“Well I told you all the information I could, you’re just going to have to keep looking.” Peter shouted down the phone and then hung up. “Look!” He exclaimed, pointing to a door on Callum’s car, which was swinging open. Martha’s arms and legs were visible as she tried to escape, but Callum dragged her back in.

“Why is she willing to jump out? Wouldn’t it be safer in the car?” Asked Jack.

“God no. Look what they’re heading to!” Peter shouted, pointing at an old, broken wall.

…………….

“Please! Stop the car!” Martha screamed, but Callum wasn’t listening.

“This is where Susan died. She crashed into that wall at such a speed, that’s why it’s all broken. It’s never been repaired.” Callum continued. “I should have been here 3 years ago.” Callum said.

“No! You shouldn’t! What happened to Susan was a tragic accident, a mistake. You’re not supposed to die Callum! I’m not supposed to die! Please stop before you make a big mistake.” Martha begged, but Callum wasn’t listening, he was too wrapped up in his thoughts about Susan. Martha watched as the speed dial slowly increased, getting closer and closer to maximum speed. She looked out the window, praying for Callum to stop. But he didn’t. She looked back at the road, and at the wall that was seconds away from the inevitable collision with their car. She closed her eyes and screamed, as Callum reached out to hold her hand.

“I love you Susan!” He shouted, frightened of what was going to come next. Martha desperately fumbled around on the door handle, trying to make a last minute departure. Callum opened his eyes as he saw her with her legs dangling out, ready to jump. “NO!” He shouted, reaching out for her arm.

………………

“He’s not going to stop!” Jack cried. Peter couldn’t give him any words of assurance as he was thinking the very same thing. Even if Callum did slam his feet on the brake there’d be no stopping that car; it was going too fast.

“NO!” Jack shouted as the car hit the wall. Peter and Jack looked on in amazement as the wall slowly moved back a few m etres, as it attempted to take the huge force Callum’s new car had just applied. The metal bonnet crushed to half its size, spraying shattered paint and glass all over the road. Objects from the back of the car flew through the broken window screen, attacking the crumbling wall.

Peter quickly looked down at Jack’s speed dial, recognizing that Jack was still travelling at an almighty speed towards the smashed car.

“JACK!” Peter shouted, grabbing the steering wheel. He pulled down his hand, directing the car to the right, and into a collection of trees and bushes that formed a sort of barrier.

Archived