The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Guest Jess

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a couple of false alarms, I've finally got 'round to posting the next chapter. Sorry if it's awful, I just needed to bring it to a close so that I can start building towards the climax - I'm not sure how many chapters are left, but I don't think there's going to many... Anyway, here it is...

********************************************************************************

“We’d just like to warn the girls, and the boys for that matter, of Summer Bay that two certain guys, namely Mr. Lucas Holden and Mr. Eric Dalby are not for the taking. Not because they’ve got girlfriends, you won’t have us to answer to, but because they’ve been having a sordid little affair behind our backs.” The silence in the Diner is palpable, the atmosphere could be cut with a knife. Ahhh…the sweet smell of revenge thought Maddie.

“What? So there’s TWO whores in Summer Bay, oh the scandal of it all” Colleen pipes up from the corner.

“Well, you could put it like that I suppose, they just happen to be in it together” continued Cassie. “They’ve been having secret little meetings”.

“Ahh….speak of the devil, finally decided to resurface lover boys?” Maddie asks of the two embarrassed boys. They both try to verbalise a response, but the looks of the people in the Diner, Tony and Beth sitting ashen face, Colleen looking like all her Christmases have come at once and Alf gobsmacked, made the boys do a quick-sharpish exit.

“Well, all things considered, I think that was a pretty big success, don’t you Cass?” said Maddie as they walk along the beach. “I didn’t know revenge could be so therapeutic.”

“Maddie, how am I going to tell Sal? She needs to know, we both live with her. But how’s she going to take it? ‘Oh, Sal, I just thought I’d tell you that your foster son has been sleeping with his friend’s boyfriend’. She’d love that I’m sure.”

“Just tell her the truth. It’s not your fault, you haven’t done anything to be ashamed of. You’re not the one who has to try and explain their actions.”

“You know what Maddie, I feel one hundred times better us both being in the same boat, both being duped by our pathetic excuses for boyfriends”.

“Ex boyfriends” Maddie reminds her. “And yeah, same here, what would I do without you?!”

Later that night after Cassie has gone back to the Beach House, Maddie lies on her bed. All day she had to pretend that she was OK, because she knew that she had to be strong for Cassie. Now she was alone, thoughts whirled around in her head. How could he do this to me, the one person I love more than anything in the world, don’t I mean anything to him? Has our relationship just been a pointless exercise, merely a way to get his hands on Ric? I was just a pawn in his game. How could he embarrass me like that, now everyone knows that I’m not good enough for my boyfriend. What have I done to deserve this? Maybe it’s my fault, maybe I did something wrong. Maybe I didn’t love him enough, pay him enough attention, spend enough time with him. I should’ve seen this one coming, anyone with a girlfriend as bad as me is bound to go off the rails like this. Maddie’s thoughts are interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Maddie sweet, you in there? Can I come in?” Beth’s voice came through the door.

“Yeah sure Mum” Maddie says, trying to straighten her features into what she thinks resembles a neutral expression.

“Baby” Beth says as she comes to sit on the bed. “I’m so sorry.”

“What’ve you got to be sorry about?” Maddie asks.

“Well, the events of the day can’t’ve been the nicest things on the planet.”

“I know, but they’re not your fault. I know you feel responsible because I’m your baby, but you can’t protect me from everything for ever.”

“I know I can’t protect you forever, but I wanted to for a bit longer yet. Have you seen Lucas since he walked out of the Diner?”

“No….and Mum, if he thinks that I’m moving out because of his stupidity, he’s got another thing coming. He has to face the consequences. Mum, h-h-how could he do this to me?” Matilda’s hard exterior is lost as tears begin streaming down her cheeks.

“Oh sweetie, come here” and Beth pulls her daughter into a hug. Mother and daughter simply sit in a tight embrace on the bed - Maddie a silent shaking mess and Beth doing her best to comfort her daughter. Beth couldn’t believe that one of her daughter’s best friends and worst of all, the person she considers to be her son, could do this to her daughter. She is at a loss of what she can say to comfort her daughter. Beth feels sad as she realises that this has splintered her family and even sadder at the fact that she can’t see a way to pull everyone together again.

Cassie stares at her bedroom ceiling. She’s totally baffled by the day’s events. After seeing Maddie, she had decided to come home to the Beach House. She didn’t want to leave Maddie but she knew that she had to come back eventually, and besides Maddie has Beth to look after her. Who does Cassie have? Sally. When Cassie has arrived home, her eyes were puffy and red but she’d mercifully managed to avoid Sally, she wasn’t in when she’d arrived home. Cassie didn’t think that she was ready to face Sally and have to recount everything that had happened. She felt ashamed. Maybe I’ve brought this upon myself. It must be my fault. This must be payback for telling people about my Uncle. He said that bad things would happen if I told anyone and now look what’s happened. With that she dissolved into fits of tears, tears of anger, tiredness and full of emotion, with no one to comfort her, and she eventually fell asleep. Alone, a huddled figure on the bed. Cassie didn’t know how long she had slept for but she was roused sometime later by the sound of the ‘phone ringing.

********************************************************************************

Do you like? Read and review, I love reading all your comments!

Archived