Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

Palmer you are Walter Bertram's son lol. Nice episode tonight and we explored the backhistory of Palmer and his old home. I did read that it was around his 10th birthday but tonight he said "my birthday". He turned 50 in 2011 so would have been 8 in 1969. Unless it is another case that stems back to the pilot episode, where ages of characters are more fluid than hot water.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Five! Evelyn was listed as a regular despite only appearing in one episode.Roo didn't appear at all.When I said her miscarriage meant she'd have nothing to do now, I didn't think it would be this extreme...

I was absolutely disgusted with the way VJ's storyline went here.All the good work on Ash was pretty much undone by portraying him as absolute scum, doing whatever he needs and trampling on and manipulating everyone in order to "win".And VJ's pronouncements have started sounding like he's just trying to convince himself.It's all right him saying Billie just wanted Luc to be happy, but if she wanted Ash to look after Luc then she'd have said so.She wanted Luc to have a family, she wanted her to be a Patterson not an Ashford.Ash deserved all of that serve he got from Leah and I'm disappointed first that Alf dragged her off him and then that Ash got to have the last word with his massive pot-kettle-black moment of calling her selfish.Because it seems like he's the one selfishly trying to get control of his blood relative. The fact that we had the whole custody battle underlines that this isn't a decision VJ has come to on his own, it's one that Ash has forced on him, making him feel worthless and useless as a father and convincing him Luc would be better off with someone else.(And Irene doing the same thing didn't help.)I really hope that Leah's right, that VJ's the one who will see sense and realise what he's given up when the novelty of acting like a responsibility-free teenager has worn off.But I'm not holding my breath, as we have Alf browbeating the message that "VJ is not Luc's father" into us.I'm sorry?So, who is then, Mick?That statement feels like a betrayal of the very ethos of the show and I'm disgusted that it was put into the mouths of people like Alf and Marilyn who know that fatherhood has nothing to do with blood.By that logic, John will "never be" Jett's father.And Alf's reliability isn't helped by his unnecessarily telling Leah about VJ's guest right in front of Ash and then telling him to mind his own business.The one good thing was that VJ's first experience of a one night stand (and first time with someone other than Billie) was treated with a refreshing lack of angst.Instead, he was embarrassed, as you'd understand, and not entirely gentlemanly to Rebecca but handled it okay.I guess it was just him dipping his toe into that world he missed out on.

I'm in two minds about John's storyline.It's nice that the show's giving the older castmembers something to do but there seems to be a worrying tendency to retcon a traumatic incident into someone's childhood if they want to focus on them.First we had the semi-farcical "Irene's origin story", with her being given a back story of childhood abuse and a child conceived by rape being taken from her that had somehow never been mentioned in 20+ years of people close to her being raped.Now we have John's previous recollection of his father being ignored to come up with a trigger for his recent arson.It's well played but I'm not sure I'm entirely buying it.At least we had the comedy local to lighten things.

I know I'm supposed to care about this Irene/Leah fall out but we've barely seen any of their supposed friendship onscreen. Yes, they've run then Diner together for about 12 years onscreen, but up until Dan's death and the "he was like a son to me" line there was no sign of a friendship and even since then it's mostly been just us being told they're friends. Compare it to the Rosses and the Stewarts fallout, I was routing for Pippa & Ailsa to see sense.

22 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I'm in two minds about John's storyline.It's nice that the show's giving the older castmembers something to do but there seems to be a worrying tendency to retcon a traumatic incident into someone's childhood if they want to focus on them.First we had the semi-farcical "Irene's origin story", with her being given a back story of childhood abuse and a child conceived by rape being taken from her that had somehow never been mentioned in 20+ years of people close to her being raped.Now we have John's previous recollection of his father being ignored to come up with a trigger for his recent arson.It's well played but I'm not sure I'm entirely buying it.At least we had the comedy local to lighten things.

Yes and at the same time Alf returns from another trip away to a health scare, Anne Charleston quit Neighbours over them constantly giving Madge health related stories (ironically then dying of cancer), I hope Ray doesn't feel the same.

When Brody was having a 'chat' with Kat about Zannis at the police station perhaps they should have taken Scarlett along with them.  Although to be fair to Justin he did quite well and actually wasn't too bad in Thursday's episode.

Good to see VJ meeting other girls.  The sooner he moves on the better as far as I'm concerned.  I enjoyed Alf's reaction when he saw Rebecca leaving VJs room.  I also liked when Alf told Ash that who VJ sees was none of his business when he saw him in the Diner.  I'm over the moon VJs decided to completely give up on going for custody for Luc.  He will definitely meet another girl and someday have his own kid.

Whilst I liked the fact that Leah didn't judge VJ for having a one-night stand I really hated her in Friday's episode.  As was pointed out to her she was completely selfish.  I'm glad Alf told her that her outburst to Ash was more about the fact that she wanted look after Luc as opposed to VJ having her (It's funny how she part owns a business but decided to start an argument with one of the customers.  But I guess she's selling up so it doesn't matter now.).  Even when she went round to his place to have a go at Ash again and he retaliated I was almost cheering.  Just wish he hadn't been so calm and completely laid into her.

I've been completely indifferent to Jett returning and haven't been particularly interested in the scenes with him and John but did find John going to his childhood home and piecing together the bits of his past fairly interesting.

I'm also not happy it's how VJs going with the custody thing because that gives the writers opportunity to write the Luc out of the show at some point in the near future. Like leaving town with Ash when he goes etc. Idve love to have watched her grow up in SBH or even just with VJ and Leah. Nevermind i guess. 

Haven't the faintest idea where I got Jessica from!:blush:

Was at Leah  at work already  when VJ unsuccessfully tried to sneak Rebecca out, he came across as very casual that next morning, avoiding questions about Billie, though she can always ask Olivia and 'maybe I'll ring you, maybe I won't'.  I did like her bright and breezy hello to Alf.  I do get Alf's point about him and anyone else who lives there I guess having random folk (of the opposite sex back) to um stay over night. But how late was it when VJ got home, had Alf gone to bed already? Was VJ supposed to knock on his bedroom door and ask if it was OK for Rebecca to stay over?

Leah has really made me angry now!:angry2: What was with her cross examining VJ having a one night stand and getting her knickers in a twist over his shock horror drinking!!!!! Then started chuntering on asking if he is ready for a relationship, whoa there woman, what relationship, you're getting far too ahead of yourself, he was having fun, you do remember that don't you?  Plus that unnecessary question about 'being careful'. She is still making the same mistake of underestimating VJ and the fact he has a brain and a mind of his own, this time his decision over Luc. She was fairly OK with it until he mentioned he'd talked to Ash about it then she went ballistic, instantly assuming it was all down to big bad Ash brain washing her poor defenceless son into giving up custody. Ash kept his cool as long as he could but I think he hit the nail on the head when he said it was more the fact she was losing Luc as a granddaughter more than VJ losing Luc as a daughter and the fact he isn't Luc's dad.  Luc may have been emotionally Luc's dad but sadly he isn't legally her father, his name isn't on the birth certificate and as Billie didn't sign the marriage certificate means he isn't her husband/widower which would have given him some legal right. Despite Alf and Marilyn's talk with her she was unforgiving warning Ash she'd be watching him if he should be neglectful of Luc.  She could have handled that so much better now all she's done is get Ash's back up. May be too a simple solution but I think there should be some legal paper drawn up outlining VJ and Leah's access to Luc, visitation/babysitting rights, any future care if needed etc. One thing at least Leah can't blame Irene this time.

I know my maths isn't the best but did TPTB get their timeline in a twist regarding John's father's death, the grave marker said he died in 1969 yet John said it was 45 years ago when he was 10 that he died, making John 55 and the year 2014!!:unsure:  It's certainly answered some questions but raised even more.  Apparently he, George, died in a fire not from a heart attack and then John 'saw' that vision of himself as a child carrying a can of petrol. I did have my own theories but then  read in a TV mag what transpires this week, don't worry my lips are sealed, but admit I am surprised by one characters response to what is revealed.:o

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I thought Leah couldn't really drink. As she goes crazy every time and starts stripping etc? Seem to be okay last night. Mind you, that was back in the day when the character had a bit more personality. 

I think it's just champagne. There was a scene recently where Zac had champagne outside Summer Bay House and she refused a glass, which I thought was going to be great continuity, but she changed her mind and had one anyway.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:16 PM, 630si said:

Somebody get Changelo Shipper a drink! They need it. :rolleyes:

You're right though, Tori has become such nothing with this whole Nate thing.

First of all heeeeeeeeey!!! What do you mean? I'm just trying to say how I've really come to value Nate and Tori as a couple A LOT over the recent months in particular and I feel like TPTB dummies don't share even a little bit of that love and respect for these characters and the on screen relationship they've created. I was gonna put "amazing relationship" in there but Kyle and Penny are the ones who've made it :wub: :wub: AMAZING :wub: :wub:  But I think it's really really really out of order how TPTB are just screwing NORI up now and throwing them away oh, and that's not bad enough: They're doing a rushed job of it as well. I'M MAAAAAD is all I'm trying to say. What's the matter with that?

I would NEVER say Tori has become nothing but yes we can agree that they have changed Tori's character when they really shouldn't have just to suit their own purposes. And if they can just turn around and do that just because it suits them then why should I keep watching their wreck of a show?? Well I don't care about any other characters than Coop or Ts really. So if they're messing that relationship up beyond recognition then what the heck reason is there for me to stick around?? Well I won't divulge what I know but suffice it to say I think I'm shaping up for another period of quitting "Dumb and Away" in the near future. 

I did in fact quit H&A for a time after the first time Nori broke up after an all to short period of actually being together.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:38 PM, H&Alover said:

Nate and Tori have been on and off more times than  a lighthouse lamp so it hard to keep up! I feel he's right he should finish it sooner rather later before they start hating each other.

I wouldn't say that. I'd say "back and forth" or "A lot of blowing hot and cold". They were on once and then off and now they're on again. You can't be "on" without being involved. When Nate went round to Tori's and gave him his "amazing" speech for example they weren't a couple. That's what "on" means.

Okay I suppose there's merit in not keeping things going "too long" whatever the heck that means. But here's where we're at people: One argument that has lasted one day. That's it. And only the first time that they sat down to talk about it was when Nate already had it in mind to dump Tori. Like WHAAAAT???? Nate, talking about the problem after one day, like mature adults in a committed, strong, loving relationship and airing out all your issues does not constitute chipping away at the same grievance for too long. Maaaaaan these writers sure suuuuuuuuuuuck SO MUCH.

Gee I thought the fact TPTB took so much time to cultivate and develop and mature, deepen etc. Nate and Tori's relationship meant it actually mattered to them and they were going somewhere with it.

What the fact KP's leaving means that's all just ruined. NO!!!!!! It's up to TPTB to serve Nate and Tori well and us fans too!! THEY'RE SO STOOOOOOOPID!!!!!!!!!

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, Blaxland 89 said:

I thought Leah couldn't really drink. As she goes crazy every time and starts stripping etc? Seem to be okay last night. Mind you, that was back in the day when the character had a bit more personality. 

Now that the episode has actually been shown on Channel 5 and isn't a spoiler...I actually thought it was consistent with Leah's low alcohol tolerance.She was clearly smashed, if more restrained than in the past but maybe she hadn't drunk as much, and spent the next day nursing a hangover.To backtrack to last week a bit...I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with Leah not wanting to lose her granddaughter, especially when it seems to be more than just her not living with them.We had both Alf and Ash suddenly deciding that VJ isn't Luc's father and never could be.I know we had to sit through the rather distasteful twist that VJ and Billie weren't legally married and the rather absurd reveal that Luc had never been registered, but that seemed to be rendered pointless straightaway by the mediator saying that, since he was living with Billie when Luc was born and they intended to bring her up together, he had parental rights anyway.Even though Ash seemed to back off a bit today so they could push the "Muscly man with baby is lovable" angle, I can't help thinking he's been trying to get rid of the Pattersons pretty much since he found out Billie was pregnant and now he's succeeded.It does feel less like VJ's decision and more like him having Luc taken away against his will and following the path of least resistance from there.

As an aside, I found myself remembering when Leah turned down Zac's proposal and VJ told her she was so used to relationships going wrong that she'd come to expect it and was sabotaging it herself.Which is pretty much what she did in the end.

Hard to care about Nate and Tori.I do think it's a wasted opportunity and they could have been good together if they'd been given a chance, but it's a long drawn out death knell.

John is being very resigned and possibly jumping to conclusions, especially with regards believing he deliberately killed his father.The flashbacks he's having don't look good but there's nothing to suggest it wasn't an accident even if he did light the fire.It's nice to see Marilyn belatedly regain some faith in him.She knows that whatever trauma might have affected his behaviour, he's certainly not intrinsically bad. Jett being supportive as well.I see the credits have suddenly decided to hedge their bets and list him as 'Jett' with no surname.

Archived