Sunday's Child

Guest x..kt..x

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 8

Jack arrived at Peter’s house the following morning excited and apprehensive. What is this big secret mission going to be?

Peter led Jack into his office, which considering his modest Policemen’s salary, was surprisingly and unexpectedly luxurious. ‘G’day Jack, sit down.’

Jack sat down in a large but comfortable leather chair the other side of Peter’s mahogany desk. ‘Now I’m sure you want to know all the details, so I’ll start to explain.’ Peter sat down in his leather chair, and then span around to get a file out his drawer, careful to lock it afterwards, putting he key on a chain around his neck. ‘Right,’ he then opened the files and showed pictures of several men. ’I have been investigating these men for the past 12 month and have found nothing against them,’ he then breathed heavily and looking agitated and rather annoyed added, ‘however, the boss doesn’t quite trust me on this and wants a second a opinion.’ He said this in a rather sarcastic tone.

Jack found this weird and thought, ‘why would the force have any reason to doubt Peter’s findings? He was the best detective on the force.’

‘Anyway,’ Peter said smiling at Jack, ‘this is where you come in.’ Peter then showed Jack all he needed to do as he read the remainder of the file. He just had to go to Sydney a few times and sniff around for a bit, report that he found nothing unusual and then everything would be finished. Peter gave the details and then let Jack leave.

Just ask Jack was leaving he added, ‘Oh yeah Peter, thanks for covering for me on Sunday, I really appreciate it.’

‘No problem mate, but what is it your up to?’

Jack sighed; he didn’t want to go into it, ‘Oh you know, just stuff.’

Peter quietly laughed, Jack was up to something, something he wanted to keep from Martha. ‘Bye Jack.’ But behind the fake smile Peter was thinking, ‘I need to know what goes on on Sunday, whatever he’s up to, I know I’ll be able to use it against him.’

‘Bye boss.’

After watching Jack enter his police car and drive off, Peter then rang another number. ‘Hi, yeah, he’s totally fallen for it, don’t worry, you won’t be found out. Even if this man does find out, I have some dirt on him that will quickly shut him up. I’ll tell you when he’s coming and exactly what to say. I promise he won’t find out. Ooh and I want the next instalment by next Tuesday, A$50,000 in cash, you know the deal, alley on London Road at 09.30.’ He put the phone down and gave a sinister smile. ‘Oh, this is just too easy.’

Ooooh, Peter's turned EBIL!! lol But what is he up to? Find out soon...

That's for all the comments, I love reading them!

Chapter 9

Weeks passed without much happening in the lives of Jack and Martha. Jack’s assignment with Peter wasn’t half as thrilling as he had originally thought. Just as Peter had said, the men he was investigate didn’t seem to be up to anything but Jack had an inkling that something wasn’t quite right and so didn’t want to give up the investigation quite yet. Tensions between Jack and Martha built up on Sunday’s after Jack came back from Sydney, with Jack still not ready to tell Martha what was really going on. He wanted to tell her but there never seemed like a perfect moment.

This was until one fateful Sunday, about 12 weeks after their engagement.

It was just a normal Sunday as Jack had gone out early, leaving Martha alone in their house, trying to think of something to amuse herself for a few hours. Just as she was looking through the photo album of her and Jack, the phone rang.

‘Hello, this is Martha speaking.’

‘Hi Martha, it’s me Jade.’

‘Oh hi Jade.’ Jade was Martha’s friend from Sydney whom she had seemed to have known forever. She had recently come to Summer Bay to see Martha and to meet Jack, of whom she very much approved of.

‘Erm Martha, do you mind me asking where Jack is?’

What a peculiar question Martha thought, with a bemused expression displayed on her face. ‘Yeah sure Jade, he’s in Sydney, he fills in for the force over their on Sundays, why?’ The other end of the phone went quiet for a while. Martha knew that something wasn’t right. Had Jack been hurt? Questions flashed through Martha’s mind, what was she going to do? ‘I’m coming right over, is he OK?’

Jade was puzzled, ‘What?’

‘Jack’s been hurt, that’s what you were going to tell me isn’t it?’

‘No Martha.’

‘What is it then?’ Martha heart was racing at a million miles an hour.

‘I really don’t know how to tell you this, and I might of got the totally wrong end of the stick here, but I’ve just seen Jack. He wasn’t in his uniform, he was with another woman and they looked pretty cosy together.’

Martha’s heart sank. Could this be true? The man that she loved, the man that she thought loved her, was he having an affair? Martha felt sick. How could he do this to her?

‘Look Martha, I didn’t want to tell you, but I thought you had the right to know. Will you be ok?’

Martha cleared her throat and tried her best to sound normal, ‘Yes, erm, I’m sure this is just a big misunderstanding.’

Jade didn’t say anything back to this. Martha then knew it wasn’t simply a misunderstanding. She put the phone down and went over to the pictures of her and Jack that she had been looking at. She looked at her favourite, it was taken the afternoon before they were engaged at the beach. They looked so in love. Suddenly Martha’s defences came down and she started to cry. Tears running down her cheeks onto the photograph. She wasn’t angry or mad, she was simply heartbroken.

Archived