Sunday's Child

Guest x..kt..x

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 5

Martha got into Jack's car and slammed the door behind her. ‘What the hell is your problem Jack? It’s a baby for Christ’s sake! I can’t believe you were so rude. Whatever the hell happened in Sydney just forget about it, unless you want to talk about it that is?’ Jack shook his head. ‘Well then snap out of it! We’re going to Noah’s now and you better get your act together.’

Jack looked straight into Martha’s eyes, he knew she couldn’t resist him when he did that. ‘Look Martha, I’m sorry, it’s just, well I can’t really say with it being police stuff, I’ve seen some pretty bad things and they’re just hard to forget’ he lied.

Martha sighed, ‘It’s ok’. Then she gave a beaming smile that lit up her face. ‘Lets go and tell everyone! I’ve been waiting for this all day!’

Jack just stared out the car window, he needed to tell her, but not tonight. Tonight was THEIR night.

Chapter 6

They arrived hand-in-hand at Noah’s as if nothing had happened. They were the perfect couple and everybody knew it.

‘Ooh before I forget, Peter rang for you earlier, you need to ring him when you get back. He sounded rather peculiar; he had forgotten that you go to Sydney on Sundays. That man worries me sometimes!’ Martha laughed.

Jacks face suddenly went white, ‘Fancy him forgetting,’ as he forced laughter. ‘Few’ Jack thought, ‘Thank god Peter covered for me.’

They said hello to a few of the residents of Summer Bay, had a drink and then decided it was time.

‘Are you ready?’ Martha asked.

Jack smiled, ‘Yea, you?’ Martha nodded.

‘Grandad, can you get everyone to be quiet?’ Martha asked.

‘Yea sure sweetie’ Alf said wondering why. ’Hey, can everyone be quiet, Martha wants to say something.’

Martha took over from her granddad and with a big grin on her face announced, ‘ Well actually it’s me and Jack, we’re engaged!’ Martha then put out her left arm and wriggled her wrist to make the big diamond ring on her finger sparkle.

There was a chorus of ‘congratulations’ around Noah’s as everyone was so happy to see this perfect couple get engaged.

Tony’s faced glowed with pride, ‘Well done mate’ he said hugging his eldest son. ‘I told you she’d say yes and it looks like she’s clearly loving the ring, Tasha obviously has good taste.’

‘Tasha?’ Martha asked, poking Jack. ‘I knew you would have asked someone else to pick out a ring, well I’m glad you did actually, with your taste!’ Martha joked.

‘My taste is great actually Mac, I mean just look at me!’ Jack laughed smoothing out his clothes.

‘Yeah then what’s with all the naff clothes in your bottom draw? I actually saw orange trousers!’

Jack’s faced dropped. ‘You went in my draw, why did you go in there Martha, god can’t I have any privacy?’ Jack stormed off leaving Martha bemused. It was a joke, why did he get so worked up?

Tony went after Jack while Alf went to congratulate his Grand-daughter.

‘Congratulations, my own Grand-daughter engaged, to a really decent bloke. I’m so happy for you. Where is Jack?’

Martha didn’t know what to say,’ He’s just erm, gone to the loo’.

‘Jack, come here now.’ Jack span around to see his Dad looking rather angry. ‘Now, I don’t know what that was about but you’ve got some explaining to do. Whatever’s wrong, Martha doesn’t deserve to be snapped at like that.’

Jack knew he couldn’t lie to his Dad. ‘It’s just, well I haven’t told Mac about Elena and it’s just getting worse and worse. There’s so many white lies. I’ve been telling her I’ve been going to Sydney for work.’

Tony put his arm around his son. ’Martha has the right to know, you’re engaged, she needs the truth.’

Jack sighed ‘Yeah I know, I’ll tell her soon but not yet, it’s not the right time.’

Chapter 7

After spending the rest of the night at Noah’s avoiding her, Martha was angry with Jack. ‘I don’t know what your problem is! You’ve just been switching from hot to cold all night. I know what happens in Sydney must be difficult, but you can’t let if affect you like this.’

Jack hung his head and didn’t dare to look at Martha in the face, he hated lying to Martha, he just couldn’t do it anymore. ‘Look, it’s not just that…’ and then he was interrupted by the phone, who was phoning at this hour?

Jack picked up the phone, angry that when he was finally about to confess he was interrupted. Was this a sign? ‘Hi, Jack Holden speaking.’

‘G’day mate, it’s Peter, sorry for ringing at this hour.’

‘No it’s fine mate, I was still up.’

‘Well I just wanted to tell you not to bother going to the station tomorrow, come to my house and I’ll fill you in on a secret briefing I’ve got going, I think your just the man for the job.’

Jack was ecstatic, it’s not every day he got a secret job with the forces’ most famous cop, Peter Baker. ‘Wow, that’s great, thanks mate.’

‘Ooh, and congrats on the engagement, you’ve got a great gal there.’

Jack looked at Martha who was perched on the end on the sofa, fiddling with her hair. She was the girl of his dreams, ‘Yea, I know I have, she’s perfect.’

He said bye to Peter and walked over to Martha, ‘Look, I know I’ve been a bit stressed today and I’m sorry.’

Martha looked up and saw sincerity in Jack’s eyes, ‘Yeah, well you better make it up to me.’ She said jokily.

He put his arms around her waist and smiled, ‘Oh, you know I will…’

Next Chapter- BIG BIG twist! lol

Archived