Undercover Cop 2!

Guest Nicom

Chapter 11.5!!! - "The missing Chapter =P"

Jack was still smiling to himself when he realised that someone had now opened the door in the room, telling them they had to go to bed. He looked at his watch. ‘It’s only 10.30’ he thought. But he still flicked with the remote, going onto the camera in the bedroom. At first, he couldn’t take his eyes off Martha, sitting down on a mattress with her head in her hands, then he realised that he should look away, just for a while, as it seemed quite creepy to be watching them.

After 10 minutes, Jack returned his gaze to the screen, watching Callum, Christie, Martha and Jack lying in their beds, talking to one another.

“I’m really sorry Martha.” Christie said, reaching over and touching her new friends arm. “I don’t know what else to say.” Martha turned over and smiled at her.

“Thanks.” She mumbled.

“So, is this why you’ve been so quiet and miserable for the last month?” Callum asked. Martha turned to her left, where Callum was laid.

“Yes, although I wasn’t talking about him, I was thinking about him. I really miss him, we weren’t even together at the time.”

“You make it sound like you had been together before.”

“Yea, we had. About, a year and 3 months now. We split up because of a stupid argument, and then I got together with his work partner, Corey. I only did it to make Jack jealous, I regret it now, but at the time it got me through our break up. Anyway, Corey turned out to be a right freak, he moved from town to town, killing the jury members that sentenced his dad to prison-”

“Oh! I read about that.” Ryan said. “Yea, using mercury to poison them, sending them wappy, and he then gave them a lethal dosage to kill them.” Martha nodded.

“I was supposed to be moving away with him, but I found out just in the nick of time, and rang Jack, who came to my rescue. Corey tried to kill me, he had me in a headlock, slowly strangling me, and I couldn’t get over it for months.”

“Oh my gosh! How did you get over it?” Christie said with her hand on her neck, thinking about the strangling.

“Jack. He helped me through it.”

“Wow, he sounds like a really nice guy” Christie smiled.

“Well, he is, most of the time.” Christie, Callum, Ryan and Jack were all very involved now. Martha had been singing his praises for the last hour, and now, here she was, saying that the worlds perfect man had faults. “When I left Summer Bay, me and Jack had fallen out, due to my mistake of buying a gun.” The three of them gasped. “Don’t worry, I wasn’t going to use it or anything, I was just still freaked out about Corey. Anyway, when he found out, and the gun went missing he got mad at me. I was very upset, and angry too, the one thing I wanted to do was get over Jack-”

“So you loved him then?” Christie asked. “Even though you’d broken up, and then fallen out?”

“Yea… quite stupid really, but I did. Anyway, my friend Claire offered me a place in the city, and at first I declined, part of me didn’t want to leave him, but she managed to persuade me, so I eventually said yes. Jack and me still weren’t talking, therefore I couldn’t talk to him about leaving, even though I really wanted to. However, he obviously didn’t want to, as he never asked me to stay or anything, he still continued to ignore me. He must have known, Summer Bay is a very close community, so word would have gone around fast that Alf’s granddaughter was leaving. Anyway, I finally decided to swallow my pride, and talk to him about it. I sent him a text, asking him to meet up with me so we could talk, but he ignored it.”

“He must be an idiot, who in their right mind would do that to such a wonderful woman as you?” Callum said, picking up her hand and holding it. Christie and Ryan looked at one another.

“Oh my god!!” Christie mouthed out. Ryan nodded. Martha hadn’t noticed the obvious fact that Callum fancied her and just thought he was being friendly, so she didn’t let go from his hand. Jack had stood up by this point, unable to believe what he was seeing. He was fuming! He wanted to go in there and get Callum, but he couldn’t. ‘Calm down Jack’ he thought, ‘they’re only being friendly.’ He sat down, breathing in deeply, when it occurred to him what his second job was. Drugging Martha.

Chapter 12

He slowly tiptoed in the room. He’d already checked that everyone was asleep before coming in, by watching the monitor, but he didn’t want to wake anyone up. He cautiously crept over to the side of Martha’s mattress, and bent down next to it. He looked at Callum’s smug face. Jack didn’t like him one bit, mainly because of him hitting on Martha. He looked down to his shoulder, and then followed his arm to get to his hand, which was reached out on top of Martha’s! Jack cursed as he gently peeled Callum’s hand off hers, and placed it back to Callum’s side. For the short moment Jack had hold of Callum’s wrist, he had used all his strength not to give him a Chinese burn.

He looked at Martha, sleeping peacefully. He sat down next to her, admiring her beauty and thanking god that she was still alive. He soon snapped out of his daydream when he looked at the syringe he had in his hand. He had to do it; he had no option. Trevor was probably watching him right now, and if he didn’t do it, Trevor would get very suspicious and Jack had no idea what he’d do. The only thing he knew was that the operation would go down the drain, and then he wouldn’t be able to free the four prisoners, including Martha. He gently moved the covers down, revealing her arms. They looked different from the last time he saw them, there were no bruises. He swallowed hard and added pressure to the syringe, piercing her delicate skin. He sighed as he gently removed the needle from her arm and raised the covers back up. He didn’t like to leave her, especially with Callum, but he knew he had to, to get her back. He stood up, and started to quietly walk away.

“Jack!” Martha whispered. Jack sharply turned around. ‘Damn.’ He thought, but he was also quite pleased that Martha now knew it was he, and that he was alive. He looked at her, expecting her to be sat up and looking at him, but she was still laid down. The room was now silent again. ‘Weird’ he thought, and started to turn back around towards the door, when her breathing started to become loud and heavy, and she started to fidget. Jack watched on as Martha’s sleeping body was clearly distressed and upset, tears ran down her face and she tossed and turned to either side. Jack forgot about the cameras and ran to Martha’s side. ‘It isn’t the drugs is it?’ he begged. She began to speak.

“Jack! No! You dare! Please, Jack just stay awake and it’ll all be fine! I love you!” Jack sighed in relief; she was having a nightmare. Not that it was a good thing, he’d experienced many nightmares recently, starring Martha, and knew how petrifying they can be. He knelt back by her side, holding her hand. Martha began to stir.

“Jack?” She said, wiping the tears away from her face.

“Shh.” He said, stroking her hair. And with that, she fell to sleep. Maybe it was the shock of seeing him alive, or maybe it was the drug, he wasn’t sure, but it was very convenient for him as he could now exit the room.

Chapter 13

Jack finally got into the bed that he’d been waiting to snuggle up in for hours. It was just as comfy as it looked, and within seconds he fell to sleep. For the first time since ‘the cliff’ he had pleasant, peaceful dreams, not nightmares. Martha was the same, as soon as she dozed back to sleep, her nightmares vanished.

In the morning, Jack woke up at the crack of dawn, to get on with his job. He got showered, in his on-suite, and then had breakfast. He text Peter, updating him on the progress, and then sat in the room watching them all wake up. Everyone apart from Martha. Callum, Ryan and Christie all looked at her as they sat up yawning. Ryan went to scare her but Christie held him back.

“Shh! She hasn’t had a good sleep in ages! It’s the first time that she hasn’t had a nightmare to wake her up.” Christie said. “Let’s leave her as long as possible.” Callum and Ryan nodded and then silently got up and got dressed into their matching white outfits. As Callum was moving around the room, he hadn’t taken his eyes of Martha. Ryan, Christie and Jack noticed this and unlike Ryan and Christie, Jack couldn’t do or say anything, he just had to watch on helplessly as Callum stared at Martha. Christie and Ryan decided to interrupt his gaze by standing in front of her, making a subtle hint that they didn’t agree with what he was doing. Callum snapped out of it and carried on casually making his bed.

Jack was growing increasingly worried when Martha didn’t wake up hours later. Sure, she liked her lay-ins, but by the things the others had been saying, she never usually stayed in bed this late, which made him wonder if it was the drugs. At around 11 o’clock, Christie was forced to wake her up, when Callum and Ryan had exited.

“Martha?” Christie said, gently shaking her shoulders. “Wakey-wakey!” Martha’s eyes slowly opened.

“What time is it?” She asked, rubbing her eyes.

“11 o’clock!” Christie laughed. “I wish I could get that much sleep!” Martha smiled.

“Wow. I’ve been asleep ages!” Martha sat up in her bed.

“It seems to me like you didn’t have any nightmares”

“Guess not.” Martha paused. “Oh wait, I did. I had one earlier, but I woke up and…” Martha gasped. “I’m going crazy.” She fell back onto her bed, face down into the pillow. Christie laughed.

“What are you on about now?”

“Well, I know this is going to sound stupid but… Jack was there. I woke up, and Jack was there, holding my hand.” Christie sighed.

“Martha, he can’t have been, he’s…”

“Dead. I know! But, he really was there; you have to believe me Christie. I held his hand… I touched him! You can’t dream about that!” Christie thought for a moment.

“Oh, I know what it’ll be. Callum had his hand on yours when you fell asleep, so your mind probably interpreted it to be Jack’s hand, to fit in with your dream.” Martha looked confused.

“Why the hell was Callum holding my hand?” Christie began to give an answer when something else dawned on Martha. “You said he had his hand on mine, but I was holding Jack’s in the dream, and he was sat by my side and… he stroked my hair!” Martha exclaimed, running her fingers through her hair. “You have to believe me Christie, he was here!!” Martha pleaded. Christie let out a long sigh.

“Dreams can seem so realistic sometimes, I can wake up confused at where the fit bloke who’s buying me a beer has gone!” Christie chuckled, but Martha was too busy thinking about what had happened. She was so sure that it wasn’t just a dream, she’d really felt it, it was just too realistic to be a dream.

“Maybe…” Martha said, getting up and dressed. ‘Maybe it was a dream’ Martha thought. After Martha had got dressed, she walked into the white, plain room to join her friends.

“God I’m so tired.” Martha yawned.

“How can you be tired? You had loads of sleep! At one point I thought you might be hibernating!” Everyone laughed.

“Yea, well, I’m not usually this tired, sure I love my sleep, but not this much.” She said, letting her head sink into the beanbag. “I’ve got a bit of a headache too.”

“Hmm, maybe your down with something.” Callum said, worry across his face. “Have you been feeling sick at all?” Martha started to fidget.

“Well, when I was getting dressed I had to have a quick stop off in the loo, I kind of was sick a little bit..” She mumbled. Callum checked her forehead.

“Hmm, seems fine to me.” He said.

“I’m gonna be sick!” Martha said, hand over her mouth and running out the room. Ryan pulled a face.

“Uh-oh” He laughed. “What’s up with you?” Ryan asked, responding to Callum’s shocked expression.

“I think Martha’s pregnant.” Callum announced. Ryan and Christie adopted the same ghost-like complexion.

“Oh my god.” Christie muttered.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to go straight into chapter 15 now, because of the big mix up chapter 14 has kind of disappeared :D

Chapter 15

Jack stared at the monitor, this could not be happening. “Martha had refused to sleep with Dave, so the only other explanation for her being pregnant with his baby is…” Jack stormed out of the room and out of the house, in the direction of the Sydney Prison.

“For what do I owe this great pleasure Constable?” Dave said, sarcastically. Jack sat down opposite him, in the private interview booth. He looked at Dave’s smirk, trying to stay calm, and trying not to jump up at that moment and lash out. He breathed heavily as he held himself back.

“Did you and Martha ever…?” Jack asked. Dave laughed.

“No. I told you that, she didn’t want to, she was a Christian.”

“Okay, I’m not asking if she wanted to.” Dave looked at him, shocked.

“What are you implying!?” He said, angrily. Jack looked at him, he didn’t need to say anything as it was clear what he meant. “No. I didn’t.” Dave said. This got Jack angry.

“Just admit it!” He said, his voice clearly displaying his anger. Dave smiled.

“Nope, I did nothing.” Jack couldn’t keep staring at his lying, smug face any longer. He jumped out of his seat and grabbed Dave by his shirt, pulling him off his chair and against the wall.

“Admit it!!” He yelled. Dave remained smiling.

“I’m not admitting to anything I haven’t done.”

“I’m not letting you get away with this.” He threatened, letting go of Dave’s shirt and stepping back. Dave stood there, his smile was still intact.

“Careful Constable, that sounded like a threat to me.” Dave gloated. Jack stormed out of the room. “Thanks for the visit!” Dave shouted.

Martha walked back in the quiet, white room and sat down.

“I feel better now.” She sighed, smiling. “Gee guys, don’t worry about me! Only a little sick!” She said, looking at all 3 of their faces. They looked at one another, then back at Martha.

“Martha, I don’t want to alarm you, but could you be pregnant?” Callum said, Christie put her arm around Martha.

“Hell no!” She giggled. Callum, Christie and Ryan gave a sigh of relief. “That’s why you all looked like ghosts when I walked in, isn’t it?” She laughed. “You’re all fools!” She said, playfully messing up Ryan’s hair.

“Oh really!? Lets see about that!” Ryan said, playfully punching her. “Seen as though you’re not pregnant, I can totally thrash you on the play station!” He smiled.

“Bring it on!” She laughed, running into the lounge with Ryan.

“Kids, eh?” Christie chuckled, standing up and walking into the next room to join the giddy pair.

Jack was walking aimlessly around the busy roads of Sydney. Why had he gone and done that? Even if Dave had admitted it, what good would it have done? Now he’d gone and made it a whole lot worse, Dave was probably going to report this. What made him more angry was that he had never lost his cool like this before, and now he’d gone and done it to a man that he knew would get the biggest kick out of getting him in trouble! He decided to return to the house and go and see how Martha was.

Here's the last bit. I thought i'd post it now because the previous chapter wasn't that long.

Chapter 16

For a week Jack was instructed to drug Martha, he tried to explain that it could harm the baby, but Trevor was having none of it, and made Jack do it. For the first 6 days Jack had only injected a few of droplets into Martha’s arm, which he achieved by sneakily emptying most of it out into his coffee cup, or anywhere he could find, then acting as if he was injecting the full dosage. However, on the last day of the week, Trevor came in with him and sat by his side as Jack injected it. Jack emptied as much as he could get away with, but he still had a fairly large dosage left in the syringe. He tried as many things as he could think of, but none worked, he was forced to inject it into Martha’s sleeping body. Sure, it wasn’t enough to kill her or harm the baby, but he still didn’t like the idea that a few droplets of drugs were running through her blood stream, let alone a small dosage.

Although she wasn’t pregnant, Martha’s sickness, tiredness and headaches persisted, along with Callum’s worry. He didn’t want to alarm her, so he pretended as if it was probably a virus, even though he knew it was strange that no one else had got it, but Martha. Martha was oblivious to the worry Callum felt, and just got on with it, thinking that it’d soon pass over a few weeks.

The next morning, Jack got a phone call off Peter, taking him off the case.

“What!?” Jack asked. “Why?”

“Dave Hutchinson.” That’s all Peter needed to say, that 4-syllable name answered all of Jack’s questions.

“Right.” Jack sighed angrily. “But I can’t, I need to stay here, why take me off the case? I’m working fine, Trevor trusts me now, I could be wrapping this up in a matter of days!” Jack pleaded.

“Nope, you’re not allowed to work undercover for the police if you’re suspended from your duties.”

“What!?” Jack asked, shocked.

“Oh, sorry mate, my bad.” Peter coughed, collecting a more serious tone. “Constable, you are suspended pending an investigation.” The phone went silent.

“But I can’t leave Martha.” Jack muttered.

“Mate, you’re not, she’s gone.”

“No! She’s not, listen, I didn’t want to say anything because I knew you’d take me off the case for being too emotionally involved, but..”

“Well?”

“Martha’s one of the four that are being held here.” Jack explained. “I know it’s crazy, but it’s wonderful at the same time. She’s alive Peter! And I need to make sure she’ll get out of the investigation safe this time!” Pleaded Jack. Peter sighed. “Come on mate, she is not in Trevor’s good books… I can’t lose her again.” The silence repeated as Peter thought for a moment.

“You’ve been suspended, you are not allowed to work in a police investigation, sorry mate, it’s the law.”

“But-” Peter interrupted Jack’s plea.

“However, if you were to be captured by this Trevor, and held there amongst the other prisoners and then tried to fight your way out, then that’s nothing to do with me…” Peter said, sneakily. Jack was ecstatic.

“Thanks mate!”

“For what?” Peter laughed. “Good luck Constable.” ‘Hmm, how am I going to do this then’ Jack thought, but he knew exactly what he had to do, he just wasn’t going to enjoy it.

Jack stood at the top of the cliff. He walked around the land, staring at the surroundings. He carefully looked at the ground and knelt down, gently brushing over the blood stained sandy rock. He looked to his left. ‘That’s where Martha would have been.’ He thought, and slowly walked over towards the spot. He swallowed hard as he peered over the edge at the sharp, violent drop. He was risking his life to do this, he wasn’t sure if Trevor was there watching, if he would catch him, after all, Jack was only aware of the people he caught, not of the people he missed. Even though he was scared that he might not be caught, not once did he think of not jumping. He had to do it, to save Martha and her baby. He took a steady breath, and closed his eyes. This was it, his life was in the balance, his life depended on a crazy man with a net, but he was willing to bet it all for Martha. With that final thought, he jumped. His body plunged downwards, towards the crashing waves, towards the rocks, towards his death. All he could think about was how long it was taking him to be caught, how long had he actually been falling? Too long.

Chapter 17

Jack awoke to the sound of silence. Ear aching silence. He blinked a few times before rising up from his bed made of beanbags. White beanbags. He looked around at his strange surroundings. White walls, white carpet, and a metal door. If Jack hadn’t have been watching this room for a week, he would have thought that he’d now died. But because he hadn’t, it was obvious to him that he was very much alive, and he was now, very happy. The metal door swung open, revealing a tall, scruffy man, with a very angry looking expression on his face.

“Trevor!” Jack smiled, unfortunately he didn’t get quite the friendliest reply as he’d hoped for.

“Why did you fall from the sky?” Trevor demanded. “You’re no angel.” Jack thought quick on his feet.

“How dare you!” Jack gasped. “Trevor, I don’t think my fellow angels will appreciate that talk! I am an angel! I just wanted to meet you in person, you know, to get to know you, instead of just being saved and never really meeting the real Trevor.” Jack beamed. ‘What am I saying?’ he thought ‘I hope he’s buying it.’ Luckily for Jack, he was. Trevor blushed as he left the room.

“Well, the others will be here shortly, you’re much more appreciative than they have ever been!” Before Trevor could leave, Jack had an idea.

“Oh, by the way, there’s an arrival due within the next two hours!” Jack hinted. Trevor nodded as he shut the door. Jack let out a big sigh of relief as he fell back onto the beanbags. ‘Now all I’ve got to do is tell Martha to act as if she doesn’t know me. Then I can work a way out of here in a few days.’ Jack thought. He smiled at the thought of what he’d just said.

“Tell Martha…” He repeated aloud, it was only a few weeks ago that he never thought he’d be telling Martha anything ever again! His thoughts were interrupted by the door opening, and 3 hungry people walking in.

“Oh! A new friend!” Christie squealed, running over to Jack. Callum and Ryan strolled over to him, anxious to meet their new roomy.

“Where’s Martha?” Jack whispered to them. They all looked as shocked as each other. “Where is she!?” He repeated.

“Erm, she’s resting, how the hell do you know she’s here?” Callum demanded.

“Are you going to help us!?” Christie asked, excitedly.

“Please, just take me to her then I’ll explain to all of you, okay?” Jack pleaded. Callum nodded.

“She’s this way.” He said, getting up. Jack followed him through the living room and into the bedroom, where she was laid on her mattress. Jack dived to the ground by Martha’s side and held her hand.

“Martha, Martha it’s me.” He whispered, gently squeezing her hand. He admired her beauty as she lay there peacefully sleeping, something which he hadn’t watched her do in a very long time, well not up close anyway. He sat silently, seeing if he could hear the occasional, faint snore that he found so cute. He leant closer. He could hear nothing, apart from very slow, light breathing. She looked so perfect lying there, he couldn’t wait and needed to wake her up now so he could hold her again, like he’d wanted to do for over a year, but never got given the chance. He leant down closer to her face, with the motive to kiss her cheek, when a furious Callum pulled him away.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing!?” Callum shouted, enraged with jealousy. “Get off Martha, she’s mine!” He added. Christie and Ryan sat in shock, never in their months of knowing Callum had they witnessed him acting like this. They’d also no idea of why Callum had said that Martha was his, as she clearly was not.

“What are you talking about!?” Ryan questioned. “You know for damn well that Martha’s still hung up on dead Jack, just because you fancy the socks of her doesn’t mean she feels the same way!” Ryan said bluntly. Callum looked rather hurt at this outburst, and also quite embarrassed that his feelings for Martha had now been shared.

“Well, what gives him the right to swan in here and kiss her either? He’s no dead Jack!” Callum argued.

“Oh, but I am.” Jack smiled. Christie looked in amazement at him.

“Oh my god!!” she squealed, hugging him. “She’ll be so happy! I’m so happy! I’ve heard so much about you!” Jack laughed.

“Thanks. Nice to meet you by the way.” He smiled at her as she pulled away.

“And there’s that Jack Holden smile!” She said, pointing at him. Jack laughed.

“Now if I have your permission to wake up Marth-” Jack stopped talking and spun around to the sleeping Martha. “Why didn’t she wake up?!” He demanded. “We were all shouting, and she didn’t wake up!” Jack shouted, his voice full of worry.

Chapter 18

Callum hopped over to Martha’s other side.

“Martha can you hear me?” He asked, shaking her shoulders. “Martha?” He checked her pulse, and then hovered his hand over her mouth. “Well she’s still breathing… just.” Jack sat stunned, ‘how can this be happening!?’ he thought to himself.

“We need to get her to a hospital.” Callum declared.

“How the hell do you suggest we do that?” Ryan asked. “Should we just politely knock on the door and ask Uncle Trevor if he’ll take her to the hospital?” Ryan said, sarcastically. Jack stood up and put his hands behind his head, not taking his gaze of Martha.

“That wouldn’t work anyway, Trevor’s not even here, he’s at the cliff.” He said.

“Oh my god what are we going to do!?” Christie cried, stroking Martha’s hair. Jack watched on as Callum’s worry on his face dramatically worsened.

“She’s stopped breathing.” Callum announced, before starting CPR on her immediately. Jack’s face dropped.

“Martha! No!” He pleaded. Jack frantically looked around. “We’re getting her to a hospital now!” Jack shouted. “Ryan, come with me.” They both ran into the lounge, where Jack indicated Ryan to pick up a chair and to follow him into the next room. Jack ran up to the large mirror on the side of the wall.

“How the hell is smashing a mirror going to do any good?”

“It’s not a mirror, it’s a one-way window, now help me smash it!” Jack ordered. They both began to hit the glass with their full force, but the only damage they managed to inflict was a few cracks and chips.

“Martha is breathing again!” Christie screamed. “Quick guys, we need to get her to the hospital!” Jack took a deep breath in and gathered his strength for one big hit. The window smashed, revealing the other room.

“Make sure there’s a big enough gap for us to get through without cutting ourselves!” Jack yelled to Ryan, pointing at the window, then ran into the bedroom. “We’ve got through, common let’s take Martha.” Jack said, kneeling beside her and scooping her up in his arms.

“Careful! Don’t bang her head!” Callum nearly screamed. Jack gave him a look.

“Oh, you’re joking! You ruin all my fun.” Jack muttered, earning a snigger from Christie. He spun back around and carried on walking briskly to the broken window. When he got to the window he passed her to Callum whilst he climbed over, then gestured for him to pass her back. Callum shook his head.

“How do we know you’re Jack, you could just be Trevor’s friend for all we know.” Jack couldn’t believe what Callum was doing.

“Just pass her here! We haven’t got time for this!” Jack shouted, Callum remained holding Martha. “She’ll die if you carry on! Is that what you want!?” Jack yelled. Callum slowly shook his head and handed Martha over to Jack. Christie and Ryan both gave Callum a look of disappointment; his jealousy had just put Martha’s life on the line. Jack kicked at the door.

“It’s unlocked.” He said surprised, and ran through the house towards the grand entrance.

“Wow…” Christie said in awe. “What a gorgeous house.” Jack stopped suddenly and walked towards a small table in the corridor.

“Can you bring those keys please?” Jack asked Christie.

“Sure.” She said, picking them up and following Jack outside. He gestured to the car.

“Christie can you open the back door?” Jack asked, Christie looked at him shocked, then back at the car.

“You’re not seriously going to drive are you?” Jack nodded in response. “But, it’s not your car! And look at it, I’ll be surprised if it gets off the drive!”

“Well, it’s all we’ve got, and I’m sure our friend Trevor won’t be needing it in jail.” Jack smiled, and gestured again for the door to be opened. He rested Martha’s body on the back seat, and Christie then went to sit in with her, to hold her head.

“Hang on!” A voice shouted. “I’ll sit in the back with her, make sure she’s okay.” Callum said, running up. “I am a doctor after all, it can’t do any harm.” Christie and Jack agreed and both sat in the front of the car.

“Hey, what about me!?” Ryan asked. “I ain’t waiting for Trevor to come back!” He exclaimed. Christie thought for a moment.

“Get in the boot.” She ordered.

“What!? You get in the boot!” Ryan argued.

“I’m not the one without a seat!” Christie gloated.

“Fine..” Ryan muttered, hopping in the boot. Jack started the car and sped off.

Because there weren't alot of things that went off in this chapter, I'll post the next one after a few comments. :)

Well done Sal_gurl! You are the 5th post since last chapter! Woah! lol Now the next chapter...

Chapter 19

Throughout the journey, Jack frequently looked through his mirror to the back seat, where Martha lay on Callum’s lap. He wasn’t sure if the reason why he kept staring back was to check on Martha, or to keep an eye on Callum. He was stroking her hair gently and talking to her. No matter how hard Jack tried, he couldn’t catch what Callum was saying, which annoyed him. He knew that Martha loved him, but he wasn’t sure if she had any feelings towards Callum. After all, they’d been together for about a month now, 24/7, and she thought Jack was dead. Jack couldn’t help but feel a little bit jealous; he should be with her at the back of the car now, looking after her, not him. ‘He’s a doctor, he can look after her better than I can’ this thought repeating in his mind kept him sane throughout the long journey. Christie noticed the looks that Jack had been giving Martha and Callum, and she could tell what he was thinking.

“She really loves you.” She whispered, disturbing Jack from his gaze.

“What?” He asked. She gave him the ‘don’t act as if you don’t know’ look. “Thanks.” He smiled. “But just look-”

“Were you listening to what I said? She loves YOU. She’ll be completely thrilled when she finds out you’re alive.” Jack smiled.

“She better be!” He laughed, his eyes rolled back onto the mirror and onto Martha. “If she finds out..” he mumbled to himself.

Jack ran into the hospital with Martha’s lifeless body in his arms.

“HELP!” He shouted out as he entered the Accident and Emergency room, and was assisted by a doctor and a trolley. Jack placed Martha on the trolley and watched in despair as the doctor started to check her over, for breathing, circulation etc.

“What happened?” He asked Jack.

“She was unconscious and then her heart stopped, I did CPR for about a minute or two, and her heart hasn’t stopped beating since.” Callum answered.

“Right, okay you guys are going to have to wait here, I’ll come back with more news.” The doctor ordered, briskly rolling Martha away with a team of nurses.

It was the slowest hour that Jack had ever experienced, he watched the hallway, awaiting the doctor to come through and tell him that everything was going to be okay. But he didn’t. Not for a whole hour. During that hour Jack had changed seats at least 15 times, drank 7 cups of coffee, and had several failed attempts of begging the nurses for information. Finally, the sight that he’d been praying to see occurred, the doctor walked up the corridor. Everyone jumped up from their seats.

“Hi, I’m Dr Clayton.” He said, shaking Jack’s hand.

“Hi, Jack Holden, Martha’s friend, how is she?” He asked.

“Well, she’s a fighter let me assure you of that! Her heart stopped beating during my examination, but we brought her back and have stabilised her.” Dr Clayton explained.

“Can I go in and see her?” Jack asked, relieved by the good news.

“Certainly, she’s asleep at the moment though.” Dr Clayton said, showing them to her room.

“Thanks Doc.” Jack and the others replied almost simultaneously, and slowly walked into the room. Martha lay there, linked up to machines monitoring her heart. Even though she looked so ill, to Jack she looked so beautiful. He pulled up a chair and sat beside her bed, holding her hand. Christie indicated to Ryan and Callum that they should leave Jack alone with her, but Callum objected.

“No, I’ve got just as much right to see her as him.” He said.

“No you haven’t, now get out.” Christie ordered. Callum looked at Martha, then Jack, then Christie.

“Fine..” He muttered.

“You know you can be very bossy when you want to be Christie.” Laughed Ryan, as he walked out with her.

Jack sat there for about half an hour, just gazing at Martha. They could now make a proper go of their relationship, they both knew how one another felt, and they were both alive! Nothing could stand in their way.

Chapter 20

Martha started to stir, her eyes blinked rapidly and her hands started to fidget. She slowly opened her eyes. They spun around the room as she tried to focus. She felt her hand being held tighter. She rolled her head to see who it was.

“Oh my god I’m dead.” She said aloud. Jack laughed.

“No you’re not, and neither am I.” He smiled.

“No, you can’t be! I watched you die, you died in my arms!” Martha reasoned.

“Well, obviously I didn’t.” He smiled. “I’m still here aren’t I!?” He looked into her eyes.

“Jack!” She exclaimed, her voice filled with joy. He leant over and hugged her. “I love you so much.” She sighed, “I thought I’d lost you forever!” He pulled away from their hug and sat back down beside her.

“I thought I’d lost you more like.” Jack smiled. “I love you Mac, and now we can make a proper go of things, you, me and the baby. Seen as though neither of us are dead.” He said, touching her belly.

“Why do you think I’m pregnant?” She asked curiously.

“Well, it’s a long story, but I was watching Callum, Christie and Ryan discuss it.” Jack explained. Martha giggled.

“I’m guessing you didn’t watch the part when they told me?” She said, Jack shook his head. “Well then you would have seen me say it wasn’t possible.”

“Oh.” Jack said. “Damn.” He hit his hand against his head. He’d made a real fool out of himself with Dave now.

“What?” Martha asked, concerned. “You wanted me to be pregnant?” She asked, shocked.

“No. No I didn’t.” Jack laughed.

“Then what?”

“It doesn’t matter.” He smiled. “Well, it’ll be just you and me then, if that’s okay?” He asked.

“Oh, I don’t know about that..” Martha joked, slowly sitting up in her bed.

“Careful!” Jack nearly shouted, jumping up to help her.

“I’m fine!” She said. “Now you’re here.” He lent in for a kiss when Callum, Christie and Ryan all walked in.

“Oh, we aren’t interrupting anything are we? Because we can go if you want...” Ryan asked. Jack and Martha laughed.

“No, come in guys.” Martha said excitedly, reaching out to hug Christie.

“I’m so pleased you’re okay Mac! You frightened me to flippin death!” Christie said.

“Yea, me too.” Callum sighed, pulling a chair up on the other side of the bed.

“Well, I personally don’t see what all the fuss is about..” Ryan joked. “Just kidding, it’s great to see that you’re okay.” He smiled and stood at the foot of her bed with Christie, wrapping his arm around her.

“Hey hey, what do we have here?” Martha smiled.

“Tiny bit obvious isn’t it?” Christie replied.

“Yea, I totally saw this coming! Awww! I’m glad you two came to your senses!” She laughed. “You look very cute together might I say!” The next half an hour was spent with the group all listening to Jack’s story, how he worked undercover with Trevor, and then when he jumped off the cliff.

“You jumped off a cliff, for me?” Martha said, smiling.

“Yup.” He grinned.

“Aww! You’re so cute!” She laughed, playfully pinching his cheek. There was a knock at the door.

“Hi Martha, how are you feeling?” Dr Clayton said, holding a clipboard and some files in his hand.

“Great! Thanks doctor, so can you tell me what happened then?” Martha enquired.

“Well, your heart stopped twice, due to the stress that the drugs had on your heart.” The doctor explained.

“What drugs?” Martha asked.

“It seems that you’ve been injected with a drug that is meant to calm you down. The dosage that you have received would be perfectly safe for people like myself, however, due to your weakened heart, your body just couldn’t deal with it.” He said.

“Oh. Is that why I’ve been feeling so poorly recently, the headaches, the tiredness, the sickness?” The doctor nodded.

“Yes, they are all side effects of this drug, I guess you must have been experiencing smaller doses then, but your recent one most have been larger to cause this to happen. If your friends hadn’t rushed you in, then I’m sorry to say that you would have probably died. You are a very lucky lady.” He said. Martha lay gob-smacked.

“Thank you.” She said, as the doctor left the room. “I can’t believe that sicko drugged me!” She exclaimed. Martha, Ryan, Christie and Callum all ranted for half an hour about how shocked they were that this had happened, and how crazy this guy must be. Jack, however, didn’t pitch in on this conversation, due to his overwhelming guilt.

“Are you okay?” Martha asked, she’d noticed Jack’s quietness.

“Yea, erm, I’m just going to go outside to ring Peter.” He said, squeezing her hand affectionately before letting go and leaving the room.

Chapter 21

He stepped outside the main entrance and collapsed against the wall, raising his hands to his head.

“I nearly killed her!” He said angrily. “Her heart stopped beating twice, because of me!” He stood there for a while, before calling Peter and letting him know where to find Trevor. Jack took a stroll around the hospital grounds, trying to get his head straight. “I had to do it, for the investigation.” He told himself. “If I hadn’t, then Martha wouldn’t be out now.” He finally assured himself that he’d done the right thing, and feeling a little bit better he headed inside.

Jack walked in to find Callum and Martha talking alone, and his eyes shot straight to their hands. Callum was holding both of Martha’s hands and it looked as if they were in a very tense and important conversation. A shot of jealousy ran through Jack’s spine, but he continued to walk in and sit on the seat next to her bed.

“Hey Mac.” He said, smiling at her. “Bought you a present from the shop!” He held out the kitkat chunky.

“Thanks!” She said, letting go of Callum’s hand to retrieve the chocolate. “You were saying Callum?” She asked him, but he just looked towards Jack.

“Never mind, we’ll talk about it later.” He said disappointedly.

“Oh, okay.” Martha said, “So, where’d you go?” She asked Jack.

“Just outside to have a bit of a walk.” He was going to tell her about what he’d done, just not now, especially in front of Callum, as he knew that Callum would probably make it sound worse than it was. “Feeling any better?”

“I will be when I eat this kitkat chunky!” She laughed. Jack smiled at her. He was so lucky to have her, and so lucky that she was alive. Peter, Christie and Ryan all walked in, crowding the room.

“Hi Constable.” Peter smiled. “I thought I’d update you on the investigation news. We’ve caught Trevor, and just finished interviewing him. He’s admitted to holding you lot, so it looks like he’s going down for a very long time.” Peter said. “I asked him about the drugs that you’d been telling me about, and he confessed to ordering you to inject them, so that’s going to be a further year at least on his sentence.” Peter continued. He hadn’t noticed Jack’s desperate attempts to shut him up, which started as soon as he’d mentioned the drugs. However, Martha had noticed, and was now glaring at him. Jack looked at Martha, as he could feel her eyes burning into him.

“I’m sorry Mac.” Jack began.

“Can you give us a minute please?” Martha asked everyone, not lifting her stare off Jack. When they had all gone Martha’s anger started to show.

Sorry it's not very long!

Chapter 22

“Why did you do it?” Martha asked, trying to stay calm.

“I had to do it, I didn’t want to! I’d always squirted out most of the drug from the syringe, just leaving the tiniest droplet to make it look like I was injecting you with the stuff, but last night Trevor came in and watched me inject it as you slept, I had no choice but to give you a bigger dose.” Jack explained. “I’m really sorry, but if I didn’t do it then I wouldn’t have earned his trust and the whole investigation would have gone down the drain.” Martha’s eyes widened as she tried to understand what he was saying.

“So the investigation is more important than me then!? You’d rather pump drugs in me than ruin a stupid investigation?” She shouted.

“No, no it wasn’t like that Mac-”

“It was exactly like that. I know how much you love your job, I just thought you’d love me more!”

“I do! Martha I had to do it.”

“No you didn’t! I died today, twice because of you! My heart stopped beating Jack! Because you didn’t want to fail in an investigation, you wanted to be a great cop.” Martha was getting worked up. “What if Callum hadn’t resuscitated me, what if I wasn’t alive right now? That could have so easily happened, because of your selfishness!” Jack just sat there in silence, he didn’t know what to say. He knew that if he reasoned she’d only get more worked up and angry, she didn’t need the stress so he felt that being quiet was the best way. “You weren’t even going to tell me were you? You were going to carry on like nothing had happened? You actually thought that we’d be able to continue!” She raved.

“What do you mean?” Jack asked, shocked.

“Jack, you nearly killed me, you put my life on the line for your work, do you really think that we can continue!?” Martha pointed out.

“I had to do it Martha! I never would have done it if I thought it’d harm you!” Jack protested.

“Jack! They’re drugs, how can they not harm me? Listen. You killed me twice today! I can’t just forgive you for that. You put drugs in my blood, and I’ve suffered pain because of it. Where the hell do you suppose we go from here?” Martha shouted.

“But I love-” Jack began, reaching out for her hand. She snatched it away.

“Get out.” She said. Jack sat watching in disbelief, this couldn’t be over, he didn’t want it to be. “GET OUT JACK!” She screamed. Jack slowly stood up, Martha wouldn’t even look at him. “I never want to see you again!” She shouted as he started to walk towards the door. He took one last look, and walked out, full of anger, hurt and sadness. Jack stormed down the hall, his thoughts taking over his mind. ‘What have I done?’ He loved Martha so much, and now she hated him. He hadn’t really seen it before, but he now understood why she’d be so angry, it did look like he chose the investigation over her. Christie and Peter ran up to catch him.

“What’s up?” Christie panted, out of breath after her long jog down the corridor. “Martha will understand, just give her some time.” Christie began, still trying to keep at the same speed as Jack. He stopped suddenly.

“No, she hates me.”

“I’m sure she doesn’t” Christie said, putting her arm around him.

“No, she does. She nearly died today because of me! In fact, she did! Even if she did forgive me, I’m not sure I could forgive myself. I was a fool to drug her, I wish I’d fought more against Trevor’s orders.” Jack explained. “You should have seen the way she looked at me, the way she talked to me in there. She doesn’t want to see me again.” Jack mumbled. Christie sat down next to him.

“Well, you still have that stewardess’ number don’t you?” Peter joked, Jack and Christie both gave him a sharp look. “Just kidding.. sheesh!” Peter sighed.

“What stewardess?” Christie asked Jack.

“On the plane here, Jack got a stewardess’ number. Alice wasn’t it? She was nice..” Peter answered, smiling and putting his hands in his pockets, earning an evil glare from Jack. “What? She was!”

“But what about Martha?” Christie asked.

“He thought she was dead.” Peter answered.

“And that makes it better?” Christie said, standing up.

“No! I never rang her back, and it’s not like I gave her my number, it was the other way around.” Jack tried to explain. “I love Martha so much and can’t even imagine going out with someone else, that’s why I haven’t called her back.” Christie smiled.

“Good.” She said, “Well, I best go and see how she is. Are you coming?” She asked Jack.

“No, she doesn’t want to see me Christie, it’s over between us.” Jack sighed, getting up and walking out of the hospital, Peter following close behind. Christie looked on. She couldn’t believe how stupid they were being! She knew how much Martha loved Jack, and vice versa. She turned around to head for Martha’s room when a familiar face was right behind her. She let out a gasp.

“Oh my god you scared me!” She said, collecting her normal breathing pattern. “What the hell are you doing so close behind me anyway?” Christie asked.

“Jack’s got another girls number?” Callum asked, ignoring her question.

“Yes, but it’s not like he’s called her. Why?” Christie said, suspicious.

“No reason.” Callum mumbled. “Just going to get a coffee, want one?” He offered.

“Nah. I’ve had like 10!” She laughed, and walked down the empty corridor and into Martha’s room, leaving Callum standing there with a slight smile on his face.

“Hey!” Christie walked over to Ryan and kissed him on the cheek.

“Awww!” Martha teased.

“Martha, I’ve just seen Jack in the corridor and-” Christie began.

“Please, don’t. It’s over between us, he’s a selfish idiot who only cares about his job, I don’t want to speak about it Christie.” Martha warned. Christie reluctantly agreed and sprung up another conversation.

Chapter 23- a week later

Martha lay there, fiddling with the pale green hospital sheets that were covering her. She lifted them up and swung her legs to the side of her bed, sitting up. She sat there, staring at the wall for a moment, then stood up and started to walk out the room. But a man blocked her way.

“Oh, hi!” Martha said, forcing a smile.

“Hi. How are you?” Callum said, guiding her back to her bed, where they both sat.

“I guess I’m okay.” Martha sighed.

“Jack?” Callum asked. Martha gently nodded.

“Well, I’ve got something to tell you, I don’t think you’ll like it, but I think you should know.” Callum began, holding Martha’s hands.

“What?” She asked, worried. Callum looked away, and then back at Martha, thinking of a gentle way to put it.

“I don’t know if it’ll mean anything to you, but when Jack was coming to Sydney, he met a girl called Alice and asked for her number, it sounds like he quite likes her.” Callum said. “But I think he’ll stop calling her for you.” Callum put a smile on his face. Martha looked down, trying to take it in.

“So, Jack met someone else..” Martha mumbled.

“Yes. But he did think you were dead.” Callum reasoned. “But I can’t see how that makes anything better, I thought he loved you, he moved on pretty damn quick.” Callum commented. A single tear rolled down Martha’s cheek. “Oh, I’m sorry, me and my big mouth. I shouldn’t have commented.” Callum sighed, wiping the tear away from her cheek. “I think he’s a jerk if that makes it any better, he doesn’t deserve a wonderful woman like you.” Callum said, smiling and looking into her eyes. Martha couldn’t stop thinking about Jack. She was angry, but the overwhelming sadness that she was feeling now drowned out that emotion, all she wanted to do was cry. She finally clicked onto what Callum had said. He was right, Jack was a jerk, and Martha did deserve better than him. The thoughts that Callum put into her head blinded her from the mistake she was about to make. Callum leaned in for a kiss, pulling her in by her hands. Martha didn’t know what to do, she felt hurt and betrayed by Jack, and Callum was sat there, a much nicer man than Jack. He’d never drug her, or make her feel the hurt she was feeling now. Before she knew it Callum and her were kissing.

Jack strolled down the corridor, flowers and kitkat chunky in hand. ‘You can do this, don’t leave until you get back together.’ He told himself. He stopped in front of the door and took a few deeps breaths, preparing himself for what he knew was going to be one of the hardest conversations he’d experience with Martha. He slowly pushed open the door, as he tried to build up the courage, however, he hadn’t opened the door far when his heart sunk. There, sat on the edge of the bed, were Martha and Callum holding hands and kissing. He backed away from the door, in shock. He put his hand to his head. ‘I’ve really lost her now.’ He thought. One side of his brain was arguing to go in and get Callum, but the other wanted to just get out of there, and that side got the vote. Jack walked briskly out of the hospital, shoving the flowers into a bin outside the electric doors.

He jumped in his car, angrily slamming the door and thumping the steering wheel, letting out his anger. The car horn let out a long note due to the impact. Jack rested his head on the steering wheel, only to be brought back up when he searched around his pocket for his mobile. He started to dial a number.

“Hey mate!” A familiar voice said.

“Dad, I’m coming home.”

“Okay! Is everything alright mate?” Tony asked, detecting the unusual tone in his voice.

“Yes! Great!” Jack lied. “See you later.” Jack cut off the phone, throwing it onto the seat next to him and drove out of the hospital car park.

Archived