Project 56

Guest Taft

Hi everyone,

I have started writing a long fan fic about the whole Project 56 saga. To me, it has been the best storyline this year but is fast becoming stale. This fan fic is how I would have liked to see the whole story eventuate, and I have incorporated much of the actual dialogue, scenes and events that we saw onscreen, because a lot of it was fantastic. But there will be a vast change in the direction of the storyline, bringing back some old faces and really keeping the heat on Josh and Amanda, while they think they're home free. I am starting this story after Morag goes to Josh's office to tell him she's giving up on her quest to stop him (pretending of course), and sees Amanda's handbag on his desk while she's (Amanda) hiding under it. Also, Beth has just bumped into Graham and discovered the cheque for $50 000 that he is giving her. I hope you all remember those events happening on the show! So everything will go from there. I have written this in proper script format and each will be the length of one episode, so it's as if they are actual episode scripts for the show, one at a time. I would appreciate any and all comments, and this is going to be a long one...! Thanks so much. :)

EPISODE 0.01

FADE IN

INT. STEWART UNIT - DAY

MORAG bursts into the apartment, slamming the door behind her and flinging her handbag over the couch. ALF looks up from his work at the kitchen table in surprise.

ALF

Hey, steady on, will you?

MORAG

(Vaguely)

Sorry.

ALF

What the flamin' hell's up your nose now?

She spins around to him, outraged.

MORAG

Oh, what do you think? Josh West and that irreverant jezzabel Amanda Vale- sorry, Walters. Yet again I have come in second-best to their new-found friendship, or should I say relationship!

ALF

(Surprised)

Relationship?

Morag pauses, realising she's said too much.

MORAG

Yes, well... I think I saw something that proves their "relationship" is on a much more personal level than they put on.

ALF

What are you saying?

MORAG

I went into Josh's office at the council - I've just come from there, in fact... And when I was leaving, I saw a woman's handbag on his desk, behind him, like he was trying to hide it...

(Pause)

I knew there was something else going on between those two.

ALF

(Frowning)

Oh, come on, Morag! That handbag could have belonged to anyone! One of his staff...

MORAG

Amanda is one of his staff!

ALF

Well... What were you doing there in the first place? Brewing up more trouble? I would have thought you'd learnt your lesson at the surf club before.

MORAG

Oh, I did, believe me. As it happens, I went there to let Josh know I have given up my investigation into Project 56 and the rest of it.

Alf seems a bit taken aback by this.

ALF

You serious about this?

MORAG

Well, what else can I do? I certainly don't intend to give up, that was just a story to fool our beloved Mayor... But I am fast running out of options and those two keep getting further and further ahead with their plan.

ALF

I tried to warn you, Morag. Getting involved in this business has brought you nothing but trouble. I mean, you've just got no proof!

Morag snaps.

MORAG

(Shouts)

Proof? I had proof, excuse me, and Josh West and his little bit on the side attacked me in your own business and put me out of commission!

ALF

(Wearily)

Oh, Morag-

MORAG

(Cuts him off; continuing)

No, don't you "Oh, Morag" me! I am telling you, those two have tried everything they can think of to get rid of me, short of sending me the same way Amanda's going to send Graham Walters one day, in pursuit of all his money!

ALF

Look, just calm down-

MORAG

I will not calm down, Alfred! Not until I know for certain that Josh West and Amanda Walters' plan for this town under Project 56 is finished before it can begin. And I am telling you we do not have a lot of time before that happens!

ALF

So what are you going to do about it? You just said yourself you've run out of ideas. You can't keep going around like this, throwing accussations at everyone without any proof! I've told you, Morag!

Morag holds up her hands.

MORAG

Yes, all right, all right, you've made your point. I just need to sit down and think for a while. There has to be something else I haven't tried yet. Er, care for a drink?

ALF

(Shrugs)

Yeah, sure.

He watches as she crosses to the fridge, then turns and looks at the wall, contemplating her words.

CUT TO:

INT. WALTERS APARTMENT - SAME

AMANDA enters slowly, her eyes peeled for GRAHAM in case he has somehow found out about her and JOSH. He appears from the kitchen and startles her.

GRAHAM

Oh, there you, are! I was wondering when you'd be back.

AMANDA

(Quickly)

Er, yes. I- I'm afraid Josh had a bit more to go over with me than I realised. I'm so sorry.

GRAHAM

Nothing to worry about. I'm just glad you're back, that's all.

He smiles at her. She stares at him for a moment, trying to think of what to say next.

AMANDA

Oh, I- I also stopped-in at the real estate agent on the way back... er, to check out what office space they have available for my new drama school.

GRAHAM

Oh, good! Did they have anything that was suitable?

AMANDA

Mmm, they had quite a few good places. I've made an appointment with the agent to check a few of them out on Monday.

(Smiles)

I can't tell you how much this means to me, Graham. Thank you so much.

GRAHAM

Sweetheart, if it's what you want, then I'm more than happy to do it. I told you that. This is a gift, a gift to help make your dream come true.

AMANDA

I know. It's just that no one's every made me feel this special before. Thank you.

She hugs him.

GRAHAM

You're welcome. I love you.

AMANDA

I love you too.

We see her face. She doesn't mean it.

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN - DINER

COLLEEN is preparing a meal. Morag comes downstairs from the unit and puts a hand on the fridge.

MORAG

Colleen, I'm just going to take a lemon. I'm making Alf and I a drink.

COLLEEN

Righto.

Morag takes a lemon and turns to head back upstairs when she sees BETH and TONY sitting at a table outside. Morag thinks for a moment, then heads out to join them.

INT. DINING

Beth is looking somber. Morag approaches and pulls out a chair.

MORAG

Excuse me, do you mind if I join you for a moment?

BETH

(Looks up)

Ah, Morag. Yes, please do.

Morag puts the lemon down and sits.

MORAG

Sorry, I couldn't help noticing how unhappy you look. Is something wrong?

BETH

Oh... It's Dad and Amanda, again...

MORAG

(Smiles)

When isn't it?

Beth continues, trying to compose herself, but she is near tears.

BETH

He's giving Amanda $50 000.

Morag is stunned.

MORAG

What?

BETH

I saw the cheque. He didn't want me to see it. He said he was giving it to her for some business she wants to start or something... I knew she was after the money all along.

MORAG

(Mutters)

Yes, well you're not the only one.

(Pause)

Did he say anything about what type of business it was?

BETH

(Shakes head)

No. I'm sure she made up some garbage excuse for why she wants it. And of course, he falls for it... God!

MORAG

You said you saw a cheque? It hadn't been cashed?

BETH

Well, I don't think Amanda had seen it yet...

TONY

It was this morning.

MORAG

That means she may not have deposited it yet. There's still a chance...

Again she thinks for a moment, then takes Beth's hand.

MORAG

Listen, Beth, I am going to do everything in my power to stop that woman getting her claws into your father's money. I promise you that.

BETH

(Nods)

I know... Thank you.

MORAG

Oh, don't thank me... Not yet.

She gets up and goes straight for the door, nearly colliding with Colleen who is bringing out the meal. Colleen sees the lemon still on the table and spins around to see Morag disappearing outside.

COLLEEN

Hey, what about your lemon? I thought you were making Alf a drink!

There is no answer. Tony leans over to Colleen.

TONY

I think something important came up, Colleen.

He turns to Beth. She looks at him, worried.

CUT TO:

INT. WALTERS APARTMENT - LATER

There is a knock on the door. Graham answers to find Morag there, looking angry.

GRAHAM

(Surprised)

Morag!

MORAG

(Icily)

Mr. Walters.

GRAHAM

Listen, if you want to see Amanda-

MORAG

Actually, it's you I wanted to have a word with.

GRAHAM

Now, look, whatever you have to say, I don't want to hear it. After what you accussed Amanda of last week, making her out to have assaulted you... and then accussing me of lying to cover for her!

MORAG

And where is your charming wife, Mr. Walters?

GRAHAM

She's in the bathroom, freshening up. She's had a big afternoon.

MORAG

Oh, I bet she has. Part of that "big afternoon" wouldn't have been Mayor West, would it?

GRAHAM

Well, yes, she did have a meeting with Josh West before, but what are you-

MORAG

(Cuts him off)

I just had a very interesting conversation with your daughter, Mr. Walters.

Graham pauses and looks at her, knowing what the tone of the conversation must have been.

GRAHAM

Oh, yes... And what did Beth have to say?

MORAG

She told me about the $50 000 cheque you had written-up for Amanda.

GRAHAM

Oh, I see! Look, I already told her, Amanda didn't ask me for that money, I offered it to her! She's been dreaming of starting her own business and I wanted to help make that dream a reality!

Morag steps inside and stands by the couch. Frustrated, Graham closes the door.

MORAG

Start her own business... And what would that be? Something in construction?

GRAHAM

(Frowns)

Construction? No, she wants to start her own drama academy... You know, an acting school.

MORAG

Ah. So she's serious about it, then?

GRAHAM

Well, of course she's serious! I wouldn't have given her the money otherwise!

MORAG

Yes, well she does need a job. I mean, she wouldn't be much of a new wife, just living off of her husband, right?

GRAHAM

(Tight-lipped)

I wouldn't have minded.

MORAG

No, I'm sure you wouldn't. So, the money's been deposited?

GRAHAM

(Steps forward)

That is none of your business! But as it happens, no, it hasn't been yet. Amanda's been out all day. So if you're thinking that she just couldn't wait to get it because that's all she's after by marrying me-

Amanda suddenly appears from the bathroom, wearing a robe. They both turn to her. She is stunned to see Morag there.

AMANDA

Morag! What the hell are you doing here?

MORAG

(Smiles)

Just leaving! I have all the answers I need, thank you.

GRAHAM

She was asking about the money I'm giving you.

AMANDA

(Shocked)

And how did you find out about that?

Graham hesitates for a moment.

GRAHAM

Er, well I bumped into Beth this morning and she accidentally saw the cheque...

AMANDA

(To Morag)

Oh, I get it. Beth thinks that I'm only after Graham for his money, so as soon as she sees the cheque she goes running straight to you so you can use it against me! What a surprise!

MORAG

Well, yes, she did tell me, and she has every reason to be worried about it. An acting school! How droll!

GRAHAM

Now, listen-

AMANDA

No, it's all right, Graham. It's pointless arguing with a woman who's so deluded she'd see anything as the truth, no matter how misguided it was.

MORAG

Oh, deluded, right... Well, if I were deluded, I'm sure it would have something to do with the nasty knock on the head I got after my run-in with you and Josh West at the surf club last week!

Amanda is disgusted.

AMANDA

(Angrily)

How dare you come into my home - again - and keep accussing me of that rubbish! What will it take to get through to you? Graham offered me that money to start my own business. I need a job and he wants to help me, and if you can't believe that then that's your problem, Morag. Now get out of here!

Morag considers her words.

MORAG

Well, we'll just see if this "job" eventuates, shall we?

GRAHAM

Listen, Morag, Amanda has been out all afternoon looking at places to rent for this.

AMANDA

(Smugly)

That's right. Perhaps you should sign up, Morag. Maybe that would finally prove it to you.

MORAG

(Chuckles)

Ha! Me, a pupil in your acting school? Believe me, that's the kind of torture I can do without.

She leaves. Graham closes the door behind her and looks at Amanda. She flashes him a smile, then turns away, again looking worried.

CUT TO:

INT. HALL - SAME

Morag stops and thinks, a broad grin crossing her face as her mind goes to work.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

INT. DINER - LATER

Colleen is behind the counter, ringing up Beth and Tony's bill. Alf is standing next to her.

ALF

Any idea where she was going?

TONY

No, she just rushed out of here without a word.

COLLEEN

Yeah, and nearly knocked me flying in the process!

BETH

It was obviously something to do with Amanda. I told her about the cheque.

ALF

Cheque?

BETH

Yeah, my father wrote her out a cheque for $50 000.

ALF

(Frustrated)

Oh, flamin' heck. That woman is like a dog without a bone. She just won't let it go! Sorry, Beth, but even if Graham's got the noblest of intentions by giving Amanda $50 000, he's not going to get a moment of peace about it from Morag.

TONY

Yeah, well I'm sure she's not going to get ahead of herself. She knows what she's doing.

ALF

You could've fooled me!

Everyone spins around as Morag walks in. Alf is furious.

COLLEEN

Oh, there you are!

ALF

Morag! What the flamin' heck do you think you're doing now, running around after that woman after what you told me upstairs before?

COLLEEN

Yeah, and what about your drinks?

(Picks up lemon)

I've still got your lemon here! You just ran off and forgot all about it.

MORAG

(Angrily)

Stick it in your mouth, Colleen. We might get some peace and quiet for a moment!

Colleen bangs it back down on the counter in disgust. Alf grabs Morag's arm.

ALF

Now, listen, Morag, I want you to tell me what you've been up to, now!

MORAG

Yes, all right. I would have called you but I left my bag and phone here.

She steers him into the kitchen.

MORAG

(Continuing)

Can we please not do this in front of the whole neighbourhood? Beth, Tony, excuse us.

Morag and Alf head upstairs. Beth, Tony and Colleen look at each other, wondering what is going on.

CUT TO:

INT. STEWART UNIT - SAME

Alf enters in a huff, Morag closing the door behind him.

ALF

(Angrily)

Gee whiz, Morag, I don't know what gets into you sometimes! I mean, you just finish telling me you need to sit down and relax after all this business, and then bam! You go straight off after Amanda and Josh again. What the flamin' hell is going on?

Morag patiently tries to calm him down.

MORAG

Yes, I know, I'm sorry about that. It's just that I saw Beth downstairs when I went to get the lemon and she told me about a cheque Graham Walters was giving Amanda.

ALF

(Impatiently)

Yeah, yeah, she told me too when I was down there. And what about it? It doesn't mean a thing! Graham gave her that money - she didn't ask for it!

MORAG

(Nods)

You're right. In fact, she's going to use it to start up her own drama academy. Needs a job, apparently.

Alf calms down.

ALF

Yeah, well she'd need one just to keep you off her back all the time.

MORAG

On the contrary, I am going to be on her back now as much as ever. We'll just see if this business about a job is the truth or not.

Alf wearily drops onto the couch and throws his head back in despair.

ALF

Oh, for Pete's sake, woman, why don't you just leave it be?

MORAG

Don't worry, Alfred. I won't be the one directly keeping an eye on her.

ALF

So, what - are you going to get Beth or someone involved now, are you?

MORAG

No.

(Pause)

I'm going to get Barbara to do it.

Alf's head snaps around in shock. He's not sure if he's heard her right.

ALF

Barbara?

MORAG

Yes. Our sister is going to help me get to the bottom of this, whether she wants to or not!

She stares at him, sure of her words.

FADE OUT

END CREDITS

EPISODE 0.02

OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN

INT. STEWART UNIT - DAY

ALF and MORAG are both standing, facing each other. Alf still looks shocked by her decision.

ALF

(In disbelief)

You're going to get Barbara to help you?

Morag walks over to get her bag.

MORAG

(Vaguely)

That's what I said.

ALF

But- but- But what the heck can she do to help? She's in the city, for crying out loud! What do you want her to do?

Morag picks up her handbag and checks that her mobile is inside.

MORAG

Look, Alfred, I will explain it all to you later. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to move fast. I'll drive straight into the city now to see her, and should make it there just before dark.

ALF

What do you mean, tell me later? You'll tell me now, Morag!

MORAG

Sorry, Alfred, but time is fast ticking away, and I've got to get this sorted out before that cheque goes into Amanda's bank account!

She grabs her keys from the bench and hurries towards the door.

ALF

(Angrily)

Morag!

MORAG

Don't worry, Alfred! I will call you when I get there, all right? And then I will tell you all about it.

She pauses and looks him in the eye, very seriously.

MORAG

(Continuing)

Now, until I get back, you've got to promise me that you won't tell anyone about this, okay? As far as your concerned, I'm just off to the city to see another client. Got it?

Alf tries hard to bite his tongue. He is not happy about this.

ALF

Yeah, well you just flamin'-well think about what you're doing, all right? Because there's a lot of people who are going to get hurt if you mess things up again, and one of them is Beth!

MORAG

(Impatiently)

Yes, Alfred, all right.

She opens the door to leave, then remembers something.

MORAG

And if and when Martha comes back, you keep her here, understand? I don't want her going anywhere near that hippy commune again!

ALF

(Annoyed)

Geez, Morag, is there anything you can't keep your nose out of?

Morag simply gives him another serious look before leaving.

CUT TO:

EXT. FARM - SAME

MARTHA and TASHA are strolling around the Believers' farm lazily. Other "members" carry out chores and work around them, taking no notice. Martha's hands are in her pocket, trying to look as comfortable as possible.

MARTHA

How are you settling in?

TASHA

Good. It was kind of a big adjustment at first, you know, not having all of the... conveniences that I did at home, with Irene... But this is where I belong, I know it.

MARTHA

(Smiles)

Mmm, well I'll give you three weeks before you start missing Irene's cooking and mobile phones and having a big comfortable bed to sleep in every night.

Tasha grins.

TASHA

It's not that bad. Besides, Jonah's a good cook.

Martha's expression changes. Not happy to hear his name.

MARTHA

Well, if you say so...

There is a pause. Neither know where to continue that line of discussion. Tasha bends down to pick up a stick and twirls it in her hands. She thinks of something else.

TASHA

So, what's been going on back in the Bay? Any big news I've missed out on?

MARTHA

Hmm, well there's something going on with Aunty Morag. She just got out of hospital. Apparently someone attacked her in the surf club and knocked her out.

Tasha stops, stunned.

TASHA

You're kidding?

MARTHA

Yeah, and she reckons Josh West did it, too - the new mayor.

They continue walking.

TASHA

Really? What happened?

MARTHA

Oh, the police checked it out. He had an alibi, so it couldn't have been him. She's really worked-up about it. She thinks Amanda, Dan's ex-wife, is up to something too...

TASHA

Mmm, that wouldn't surprise me, after what she did to Scott and Kim with Hayley's baby. She's horrible.

MARTHA

You can say that again.

TASHA

I heard Jonah and someone talking about Josh West the other day...

Martha does not think there is anything suspicious about that. The conversation carries on as normal.

MARTHA

Really? What were they saying?

TASHA

(Shrugs)

I don't know. Something about council permits. I guess they need a couple to stay here.

MARTHA

Yeah, well you don't see too many open camps like this around here. There's probably laws about it.

TASHA

Well, I'm glad the Believers are allowed to run the Farm here. They really are doing a lot for me and others, you know.

Martha smiles, trying to be reasonable.

MARTHA

Yes, so you've said...

Suddenly, JONAH appears. He regards Martha with a friendly nod and smiles at Tasha.

JONAH

There you are. We were just going to start preparing for dinner. It's going to be a big meal tonight.

He looks at Martha.

JONAH

(Continuing)

Perhaps you'd like to join us?

Martha feigns gratitude.

MARTHA

Uh... yeah, that would be great, thanks. I just have to go back home and freshen-up, if you don't mind?

JONAH

Of course.

TASHA

(Smiles)

This'll be great. Thanks for staying, Mac.

MARTHA

There's nowhere else I'd rather be!

Tasha and Jonah smile at each other. Martha quickly looks away, concerned.

CUT TO:

INT. DINER - LATER

Martha slouches in, looking around. IRENE is on her way back to the kitchen. She stops when she sees Martha and smiles.

IRENE

G'day, love!

MARTHA

Hi, Irene.

IRENE

Where have you just come from?

MARTHA

(Groans)

The Farm.

Irene stiffens, her expression now serious.

IRENE

Did you see Tasha?

MARTHA

Yeah, we had a long talk.

IRENE

How was she?

MARTHA

Well, she's certainly calling that place home now. They've really got their hooks into her, Irene.

(Shakes head)

I don't know what to do.

IRENE

(Sighs)

I don't have too many ideas myself, short of going out there and throttling her.

MARTHA

They did invite me to dinner tonight.

Irene blinks in surprise.

IRENE

Really? Are you gonna go?

MARTHA

Yeah. The more time I spend there the closer I can get to the truth, and find out what's really going on.

IRENE

Well, anything to get Tasha back here, love. But you be careful, you hear me?

MARTHA

(Nods)

I will be. I've just got to go upstairs and give Robbie a call. Is Grandad in?

IRENE

He sure is, love. Probably in one hell of a mood too, judging by the way Morag stormed out of here just before.

MARTHA

I wonder what that was all about?

IRENE

(Shrugs)

Best person to ask about that is your Grandad, love.

CUT TO:

INT. STEWART UNIT - SAME

Alf is sitting at the dining table, glaring at some papers. Martha comes in and regards him with concern.

MARTHA

Hey, Grandad.

ALF

(Looks up)

Hi, love. Where have you been?

MARTHA

I just went to see Tasha.

Alf grunts.

ALF

Oh, Morag will love that!

MARTHA

Yeah, well I was just speaking to Irene downstairs. She said Aunty Morag left here angry about something. Was it because I've been spending time at the Farm?

ALF

That's part of it, love. She certainly doesn't want you going back there, if that's what you're thinking.

Martha screws up her face.

MARTHA

What? Why does she care? I've been going there to see Tasha. She's my friend. There's no harm in that.

Alf seems surprised.

ALF

Oh, is that all, is it? It wasn't two days ago that you were telling us how you were going to get to the bottom of all of it, and find out what they were up to!

MARTHA

Yes, and I still do, but not by hurting Tasha and losing her trust again. I've got to do it right this time.

ALF

That's just it, love. All of this detective stuff you've got into your head now - just leave it be, will you? They've already sucked Tasha in - I don't want them doing the same thing to you.

MARTHA

Come on, Grandad, as if I'm going to fall for all their phony promises and beliefs.

ALF

I would have said the same thing about Tasha, love, but there you go.

Martha stops and considers his words. Thinking.

CUT TO:

INT. HOLDEN HOUSE - SAME

JACK is digging through a drawer for something. He is in police uniform. His mobile phone is on the dining table in the background. It rings. He gives up on what he is looking for and answers it.

JACK

(Into phone)

Hello?

BACK TO:

INT. STEWART UNIT

Martha is standing in a corner, phone to her ear and voice low so as not to alert Alf.

MARTHA

(Into phone)

Hi, it's me. I've got to talk to you.

INT. HOLDEN HOUSE/INT. STEWART UNIT - CONTINUOUS

Jack frowns.

JACK

I'm about to leave for work.

MARTHA

It's urgent! Please, it won't take long.

Jack sighs and sits down.

JACK

(Wearily)

All right, what is it?

FADE OUT

COMMERCIAL BREAK

FADE IN

EXT. SYDNEY - EVENING

We see several quick stock footage shots of the Sydney nightlife. Lots of people and cars. Lights everywhere. Bustling compared to the peace and quiet of Summer Bay.

CUT TO:

EXT. BARBARA'S HOUSE - SAME

A fairly large, modern two-story house in the suburbs, but close to the city. Lots of wood and a big porch, very stylish. Morag's Saab pulls into the driveway. There is another car already there and lights are showing in the house. She climbs out and heads up the porch steps to the front door. Presses the doorbell and adjusts her bag over her shoulder as she waits.

The front door opens and BARBARA stands there, dressed casually but smartly. When she sees Morag she is shocked, but this quickly passes.

BARBARA

Morag!

MORAG

(Smiles)

Hello, Barbara! How are you?

BARBARA

Well, I'm fine... But what are you doing here?

MORAG

Well, if you invite me in, I'll be happy to tell you all about it.

Barbara is mystified, but opens the screen door and lets her in.

BARBARA

Of course, come in.

MORAG

Thank you.

CUT TO:

INT. LOUNGE - BARBARA'S HOUSE

Morag enters and looks around, Barbara close behind. Morag puts her back down on the coffee table and admires the decor.

MORAG

The place is looking wonderful since I last saw it.

BARBARA

Yes, it took a bit of time to get everything right.

(Gestures)

Please, sit down.

MORAG

Thank you.

Both sisters sit in opposite chairs, facing each other. Barbara still looks confused.

BARBARA

So, what are you doing here?

MORAG

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't call, but I was in a rush to get here as soon as possible. Barbara, there's a lot of trouble going on in Summer Bay at the moment.

BARBARA

(Chuckles)

When isn't there?

MORAG

Mmm, well this time it involves the new mayor and his new plans for the town.

BARBARA

This is the man Alf lost out to?

MORAG

Yes, his name is Josh West. He's a ruthless, scheming upstart who's also on the take.

BARBARA

(Surprised)

Why is he still in office?

MORAG

(Smiles)

Because he's very cunning and very lucky. I had proof of what he was up to but it wasn't enough to stand-up in court. He and another resident, one Ms Amanda Walters, have been working together on something they call "Project 56".

BARBARA

(Shakes head)

I'm sorry, I don't see the point.

MORAG

The point is, that this "Project 56" is a top-secret development plan that is going to level half of the bay. They are crooked and they have crooked partners in high-level corporate business, construction, politics... They have committed fraud, blackmail, bribery, and goodness knows how many other major offences in their duties. Now I have been trying to get to the bottom of this for quite some time, and so far the closer I get, the further the truth gets pulled away from me. What they are up to is criminal and I am not prepared to stand-by and watch Summer Bay be turned into one big illegal development, and have our homes and livelihoods taken away from us just like that.

(Clicks fingers)

I just will not have it.

Barbara stares at her, both alarmed and confused.

BARBARA

Well... that's terrible. Surely something can be done about it?

MORAG

No, you see, that's just it! I have tried everything I possibly can to put an end to Project 56, but nothing has worked. That's why I've come here to see you.

BARBARA

(Warily)

Oh, yes?

MORAG

(Leans forward)

Barbara, I need your help with this. I know it may sound odd, but please hear me out.

BARBARA

(Surprised)

My help? What could I possibly do to help? I don't even live there anymore, Morag. It's none of my business!

MORAG

No, but it is my business, and it is our brother's business! Do you really want to see his house - my house - and our entire lives get bulldozed by this development? That town is Alfred's whole life and it was our parents' whole lives before that.

BARBARA

Look, Morag, I know all that-

MORAG

Then you've got to listen to me, because you can help, Barbara, you can! In fact, at this stage, I think you may be the only help I've got. You're my last chance, Barbara - please.

Morag's face is pleading. Barbara looks away, worried.

CUT TO:

INT. STEWART UNIT - SAME

Martha comes out of her room, dressed in clean clothes. She puts her mobile phone in her handbag and heads for the door.

ALF (V.O.)

Just a second, where do you think you're off to?

She stops and turns. Alf is standing by the fridge, staring at her. She smiles.

MARTHA

Oh, I'm just off out for dinner... with Jack.

ALF

What about dinner here?

MARTHA

What about it?

ALF

Well, seeing as Morag's taken off into the city for the afternoon and it doesn't look like she'll be back in time to eat, I thought you and I could sit down and have a nice quiet meal together.

MARTHA

That sounds great, Grandad, but I promised Jack. It's been a while since we've sat down and had a nice quiet meal together too.

ALF

(Grunts)

Yeah, I bet it has.

MARTHA

I'm really sorry. Tomorrow.

ALF

I'll believe that when I see it.

(Pause)

All right, go on then. Have fun.

MARTHA

Thanks, Grandad. I'll be back in a couple of hours.

She leaves. Alf watches her go, shaking his head.

ALF

(Mutters)

You'd better be.

CUT TO:

INT. LOUNGE ROOM - BARBARA'S HOUSE

Barbara gets up from her chair and paces the room, concerned with Morag's suggestion. Morag watches from her seat.

BARBARA

What do you have in mind? I mean, I can't possibly see how there's anything I can do. I don't even know anything about it, other than what you've just told me, and I still can't see how it really involves you either!

Morag jumps up, her patience having run out. Time to set Barbara straight.

MORAG

(Angrily)

Do you know what they did to me, Barbara - Josh West and his lapdog Amanda Walters? They assaulted me and left me for dead! I ended-up in the hospital for two days!

BARBARA

(Winces)

What?

MORAG

Oh, I was just about to uncover what was really going on when, bam! They showed up! I got a copy of their plans but they found out before I was able to view them.

Barbara is stunned.

BARBARA

So, they assaulted you to stop you from seeing them?

MORAG

Of course they did! They also stole the copy and lied to the police, got two people to give false alibis and have continued their charade unobstructed!

BARBARA

The police couldn't do anything?

MORAG

(Scoffs)

Would I be here if they had done? I tried to break Amanda's alibi but her new husband, who mind you has more money than most people in Summer Bay combined, would not budge. He refuses to see her involvement in this debacle. Therefore the police were powerless to act.

Barbara can only shake her head in disbelief.

BARBARA

What does Alf think about all this?

MORAG

Alfred? He thinks I'm about as sane as a demented stork! He believes the fall was accidental and that I'm imagining it. Now, Barbara, please! Time is running out and you are my last chance! Will you please, please help me stop this business before it's too late?

She looks at Barbara desperately. Barbara stares back, trying to comprehend the situation.

FADE OUT

COMMERCIAL BREAK

FADE IN

EXT. FARM - NIGHT

A large campfire is burning. Circled around it are various members of the cult, sitting on logs and eating dinner. Tasha and Jonah are together - close together. CHARITY walks towards them, Martha in tow.

CHARITY

(To Tasha)

Hey, Tasha, look who's here.

Tasha and Jonah look up. Martha smiles.

MARTHA

Hi, guys.

Tasha jumps up excitedly and hugs her.

TASHA

Martha! Oh, I'm so glad you made it.

MARTHA

Of course. I couldn't turn down the invitation!

JONAH

Well, it's a pleasure to have you join us.

He stands and offers her his seat.

JONAH

(Continuing)

Please, sit down. Charity will get some food for you.

Martha sits next to Tasha.

MARTHA

Thank you. It's really nice of you to let me visit Tasha like this.

JONAH

Not at all. We understand that new Believers need to remember their old friends.

TASHA

Yeah, it's no problem having you here. You can come over anytime, right, Jonah?

A flicker of concern on Jonah's face, but he quickly covers it with a smile.

JONAH

Certainly. The more friends we have, the better.

Charity brings Martha a plate of food.

MARTHA

(Taking it)

Thanks.

(Savours food)

Mmm, it looks great.

CHARITY

Yes, Jonah is renowned with the Believers for his cooking skills.

TASHA

Yeah, he's great.

MARTHA

Well, I don't think there'll be any argument there.

She takes a bite and gives her approval. Jonah smiles slightly. Things are going the way he wants them to.

CUT TO:

INT. LOUNGE ROOM - BARBARA'S HOUSE - SAME

Barbara slowly returns to her seat and takes a deep breath. She looks up at Morag.

BARBARA

What exactly do you want me to do?

Morag visibly relaxes and also sits down again.

MORAG

Look, I know this is not going to be easy, but I really believe that it will work. Now, this woman... Amanda Walters. She has sucked-in this man and is using him for his money. She's already got a cheque for $50 000 from him today, which she is going to use to finance Project 56 with Josh West.

BARBARA

And her husband is just going to let her?

MORAG

No, that's just it. She has convinced him that she is going to use the money to start her own acting school - she needs a job, and that's the best one she could think of.

BARBARA

An acting school? So she's a teacher?

MORAG

Well, she was. She taught Drama at Summer Bay High until she was forced to resign following her latest antics, which is a whole other story.

(Pause)

From what I understand, she was also quite a big name in the United States as an actress. You've not heard of her before? Amanda Vale was her maiden name.

BARBARA

(Shakes head)

No, I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to celebrities.

MORAG

Yes, well she certainly lost her celebrity status quickly, I can tell you that.

Morag leans in close to Barbara and lowers her voice.

MORAG

(Continuing)

I need you to return to Summer Bay for a while, Barbara. Not long - a couple of weeks, perhaps, all going to plan.

Again Barbara is stunned.

BARBARA

You want me to what?

MORAG

Barbara, listen to me. We have got to stop Amanda from cashing that cheque, otherwise Project 56 is going to go ahead and we'll never stop it.

BARBARA

How do you know she hasn't cashed it already?

MORAG

I went and saw her husband this afternoon. She's been out all day conspiring with Josh West, and it will be too late now for her to have done it. That means we've only got the weekend to stop it. She cannot cash that cheque on Monday morning, Barbara.

Barbara doesn't know what to say. As far as she's concerned, this is madness.

CUT TO:

EXT. FARM - LATER

The Believers have finished dinner and are slowly cleaning up. Martha hands her plate to Charity and turns to Tasha, laughing.

MARTHA

And then Matilda's bag split open and all of the rubbish she'd collected in the park went all over the street. You should have seen Lucas try and help her pick it up before a car came along. It was priceless.

Tasha is laughing too.

TASHA

Sounds just like them. I'm glad they were helping clean up after the storm, though.

Then she pauses, her smile fading. Martha notices and her expression also turns serious.

MARTHA

What's wrong? Are you thinking about them?

TASHA

Yeah... I miss them. I miss everyone back in Summer Bay. That's why I'm glad you're here.

Martha squeezes her arm.

MARTHA

Hey, there's no place I'd rather be, Tasha.

Tasha looks at the ground, still hesitant.

TASHA

How- how's Robbie doing?

MARTHA

Well, I called him this evening. He's still worried about you. But I told him I was coming here for dinner and promised that you were okay, and nothing sinister was going on.

TASHA

I know- I know I... ended it with him, but I still can't help thinking about him, you know?

MARTHA

Tasha, that is perfectly normal. Of course it's going to take you a while to get over him. You two shared something very special, that is going to be hard to replace with someone else. But at least he's not going to worry about you being here anymore.

TASHA

Yeah, I know. That's something at least. He was so against this. I'm glad he's finally starting to see the truth.

Martha lowers her eyes at this. Jonah rejoins them, having finished cleaning. He looks down at Tasha.

JONAH

So, are you ready for some music?

TASHA

(Smiles)

Yeah, sure.

Jonah turns to Martha.

JONAH

And you, Martha? We're going to have a little free time around the campfire.

Martha looks up, seemingly not listening. Her mind is elsewhere.

MARTHA

Hmm? Oh, sorry, I don't know. What time is it?

She checks her watch.

MARTHA

(Continuing)

Oh, no, I'd better start heading back. My Grandad worries about me. You know what it's like.

Jonah nods slowly, searching for weaknesses in her excuse.

TASHA

Are you going already?

MARTHA

Yeah, sorry.

JONAH

You will be back soon, I hope?

MARTHA

(Smiles)

Of course. I can come by tomorrow. Is that all right?

TASHA

Sure, isn't it, Jonah?

JONAH

Certainly. I hope we continue to see more of you.

MARTHA

Well, thank you again for dinner. It was lovely.

JONAH

Not at all. Have a safe journey home.

MARTHA

I will. It was nice coming out here again. I'm really starting to see the real story behind the Believers, you know? I'm only sorry I didn't see the truth earlier.

JONAH

Well, don't worry. It's a common occurrance. People aren't used to being exposed to our way of life, so, naturally, they're intimidated by it.

MARTHA

Yes, well I'm not one of them anymore.

TASHA

Thanks again for coming, Mac.

They hug.

MARTHA

You take care, all right? I'll be back to see you tomorrow.

They smile at each other for a moment before Martha turns and leaves. Tasha waves to her.

TASHA

Bye.

She walks back to Jonah, who puts an arm around her.

JONAH

Listen, why don't you go and get my guitar for me while I help Charity take everything back to the supply tent, okay?

TASHA

Sure.

She smiles and heads off towards Jonah's tent. He watches her go before MUMMA ROSE steps out from the shadows and joins him.

MUMMA ROSE

So, that girl is interested in spending more time with Tasha, is she?

Jonah turns to her.

JONAH

Martha? Yes, it appears she's had a change of heart.

MUMMA ROSE

I don't want her here, Jonah. It could spell trouble.

JONAH

Come on, Mumma Rose. Tasha needs it at the moment. I mean, look at how happy she is. Martha's helping build her trust towards us. She's so comfortable here now.

MUMMA ROSE

I agree that Tasha is settling in sooner than I expected, given what her friends have tried to do recently, but I do not want Martha causing any problems for us.

JONAH

Don't worry, I will keep an eye on her myself. I'll make sure nothing goes wrong.

MUMMA ROSE

(Sternly)

Yes, well you'd better, Jonah, because things are moving along far too quickly for there to be a mistake now.

She walks off, leaving him to consider her words.

FADE OUT

COMMERCIAL BREAK

FADE IN

INT. LIVING ROOM - BARBARA'S HOUSE

Barbara takes a deep breath and slowly continues the conversation, trying to think things through.

BARBARA

So, you want things to happen before the cheque is cashed... What do you want me to do?

MORAG

Come back to Summer Bay and start your own drama school, something. I don't know. But you must take her on as your partner and co-teacher to make this work.

BARBARA

Are you out of your mind?

MORAG

(Snaps)

Listen, we do not have time to mess around like this! You are an experienced, senior teacher who has the necessary ways and means to set up your own academy. I want you to convince Amanda Walters to go into business with you and use that money to finance a joint enterprise. And if I know Amanda, it won't be long before she starts stealing the money the academy takes in and handing it over to Josh West to keep their Project 56 cash flow running.

BARBARA

I don't believe this. You seriously want me to set up my own business and drag this woman onboard as my partner? How could I possibly afford to do that?

MORAG

Don't worry about a thing. I will take care of all of it. I can get you office space, the required permits - everything you need to make it look 100% legal. She won't be able to resist.

BARBARA

Won't she? And just how am I supposed to convince her to go into partnership with me, Morag - someone she's never even met!

MORAG

Well, pour on some of the old Stewart charm... You have been in the Education Department for well on twenty years and know everything there is to know about teaching. You have local knowledge, influence, and you can keep an eye on Amanda Walters' every move as her partner without her getting suspicious.

BARBARA

(Shakes her head)

This is unbelievable, Morag. And what about my job? I just can't up and leave for a couple of weeks because you say so. That is ridiculous!

MORAG

Surely you must have leave owing to you!

BARBARA

Well, yes I do, but for Heaven's sake, you're talking about Monday morning here! It's Friday night! I can't organise something like that over weekend. They need notice. You must understand!

MORAG

I will fix something up if you'd like. I can get in touch and say you've been seconded as a witness on an important case. I could have the paperwork done up for them...

BARBARA

Oh, well you've just got an answer for everything, don't you?

(Pause)

And what about when I meet her? She'll realise straight away that I'm your sister, once she hears the name Stewart!

MORAG

Use Donald's surname!

BARBARA

You have got to be kidding.

MORAG

(Loud)

No, I am not, Barbara! Listen, it is perfect. You are my only chance - you are Summer Bay's only chance! You are the most ideal choice to work closely with this woman in order to monitor her involvement in Project 56. It's just so brilliant it can't fail.

Barbara thinks for a moment.

BARBARA

Yes, well those are famous last words, Morag.

(Pause)

I don't suppose you'd forgive me or give me a moment's peace if I said no, would you?

Morag smiles. She knows Barbara will agree to it.

MORAG

Not a chance.

BARBARA

(Sighs)

All right, all right, I'll do it. How can I turn down my own sister?

MORAG

Precisely.

(Pause)

Thank you, Barbara. I cannot tell you how much this means to me.

BARBARA

Oh, I think I can.

Morag stands and crosses to the other side of the room, her smile broadening.

MORAG

I can now safely say without a doubt that the end is near for Ms Amanda Walters, Mayor West and Project 56.

FADE OUT

END CREDITS

Archived