Are you unsure ?

How come when I write in the character/actor discussion, the amount of posts I made doesn't go up? I'm sure it used to so is it just me?

Yes I have been wondering about post numbers and whether they go up when posting in some sections of the forum and dont in some sections??

It is confusing because when I post in some sections my post count doesnt go up.

If anyone can let me know I would appreciate it :)

I think it comes from the days when post counts were used to decide up on requesting ability amongst everything, and so and at that times it was decided that posts in certain forums would count towards post counts. At that point, the C&A was a spamfest, so it was decided that posts in those forums don't count towards your post count. Basically it was to stop people getting "rewards" by solely posting ****e.

Now they've changed the C&A it's eliminated the rubbish in that forum to a certain degree, it could be worthwhile flicking the post count switch to let them count, though once you've made a handful of posts, I don't believe there's any considerable advantage of having more posts.

I think it comes from the days when post counts were used to decide up on requesting ability amongst everything, and so and at that times it was decided that posts in certain forums would count towards post counts. At that point, the C&A was a spamfest, so it was decided that posts in those forums don't count towards your post count. Basically it was to stop people getting "rewards" by solely posting ****e.

Now they've changed the C&A it's eliminated the rubbish in that forum to a certain degree, it could be worthwhile flicking the post count switch to let them count, though once you've made a handful of posts, I don't believe there's any considerable advantage of having more posts.

So can you tell me is the C&A section the only section that doesnt contribute to the post count ?

This might be in the wrong thread, but what about having a "create a character thread for the Fan-Fiction sub forum. As Oliver Western, I've seen this being done with Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends and I thought it would be a good idea if we could give the other members of this forum the chance to create their own characters and whom portrays them in the Home and Away fan-fiction. It's only a suggestion.

So can you tell me is the C&A section the only section that doesnt contribute to the post count ?

As far as I'm aware CA and General chat (and possibly also the Games Room) are the sections of the board where posts do not add to your overall post count.

Edited by Jen

The forums that don't count towards your post count are general chat, character appreciation, games forum as far as I'm aware and possibly episode requests, though I'm not 100% certain on that one, I'd need to check. As Ryan has said the reason for it was because people were posting lots of spam in order to boost their post count and it was incredibly frustrating for both members and moderators.

I would see no problem with lifting it in appreciation due to the new format in there BUT it would mean we would need to moderate even more heavily in there to ensure that people weren't just posting pointless things to boost their post count. As admins we do have the option to reset post count so I guess we could always use that as a threat to stop people spamming. I'll bring it up with the rest of the staff and see what we think.

This might be in the wrong thread, but what about having a "create a character thread for the Fan-Fiction sub forum. As Oliver Western, I've seen this being done with Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends and I thought it would be a good idea if we could give the other members of this forum the chance to create their own characters and whom portrays them in the Home and Away fan-fiction. It's only a suggestion.

I'm not a hundred percent sure what you mean by this. Do you mean a single thread where everyone posts describing a character they'd like to see on the show and who they'd like to play them? I don't see any problem what so ever with that and if that is what you mean you have my permission to start the thread.

The forums that don't count towards your post count are general chat, character appreciation, games forum as far as I'm aware and possibly episode requests, though I'm not 100% certain on that one, I'd need to check. As Ryan has said the reason for it was because people were posting lots of spam in order to boost their post count and it was incredibly frustrating for both members and moderators.

I would see no problem with lifting it in appreciation due to the new format in there BUT it would mean we would need to moderate even more heavily in there to ensure that people weren't just posting pointless things to boost their post count. As admins we do have the option to reset post count so I guess we could always use that as a threat to stop people spamming. I'll bring it up with the rest of the staff and see what we think.

If people are posting spam to boost their post count would an alternative (that has already been suggested) not be to simply remove post counts altogether or at least not display them in various places but still show the pips? If people cannot see how many posts they’ve accumulated then they would maybe have less reason to post simply for the sake of posting.