Neighbours should be axed

Guest vikkysmile

I like Neighbours its back on tonight. People don't watch if you don't like it. Well basically its the only thing on in Australia at 6:30. But you could read a book or a magazine, go on the computer, play an x-box or a game cube or a sony play station. People are always complaining about Neighbours on this these message boreds. If they don't like it why do they watch it?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To respond to some earlier posts which were made, I think it is important to say that Neighbours could be axed at any moment, regardless of it's long-running status.

Neighbours, like any other program, relies on ratings for it to remain on air. High ratings means high profit via advertising - no point in keeping a show which makes no profit. While Neighbours in Australia struggles to make 1 million viewers (compared to Today Tonight in the same timeslot which can easily attract 1.5 million), it finds a large quanity of its viewers in the UK. The BBC finances a large chunk of the show, which is what keeps it on air.

All in all, I would say, do not be complacent, and presume that the show is safe. Neighbours has an important place in Australian television history, and I would hope that the show could stay around for a while longer.

Hmm interesting post Steven.

I don't actually like Neighbours so I'm not quite sure why I'm defending it but anyway...

If you think Neighbours should be axed then give some decent reasons for it. Fro one I don't think Neighbours gives Aussies a bad name.

Ask some UKers - Do you think Neighbours gives Australians a bad name because the characters are so sterotyped?

To respond to some earlier posts which were made, I think it is important to say that Neighbours could be axed at any moment, regardless of it's long-running status.

Neighbours, like any other program, relies on ratings for it to remain on air. High ratings means high profit via advertising - no point in keeping a show which makes no profit.  While Neighbours in Australia struggles to make 1 million viewers (compared to Today Tonight in the same timeslot which can easily attract 1.5 million), it finds a large quanity of its viewers in the UK. The BBC finances a large chunk of the show, which is what keeps it on air.

All in all, I would say, do not be complacent, and presume that the show is safe. Neighbours has an important place in Australian television history, and I would hope that the show could stay around for a while longer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were I live Today Tonight is on at 4:30 and the Brisbane news is on at 6:30.

Were I live Today Tonight is on at 4:30 and the Brisbane news is on at 6:30.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Therefore you must be in a regional area and hence are not included in the ratings anyway :P

I guess you don't get the 4.30 news there if you get the previous day's Today Tonight at 4.30...?

It's true, Neighbours is way bigger here in the UK than Home and Away could ever be and it certainly doesnt give australians a bad name, is probably the most well known australian programme and still loads of Ukers go on holiday down under.

Just wondering why people are posting just to say it should be axed-why are you on the neighours forum?

Anywho... i guess everyone has their tastes.

It's true, Neighbours is way bigger here in the UK than Home and Away could ever be and it certainly doesnt give australians a bad name, is probably the most well known australian programme and still loads of Ukers go on holiday down under.

Just wondering why people are posting just to say it should be axed-why are you on the neighbours forum?

Anywho... i guess everyone has their tastes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree it is. I personally like neighbours more than Home And Away. I won't go into why.

Archived