Building Bridges and Knocking Down Barriers

Guest AngelRose

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really liked 'Brit in the Bay' and I think it's a great topic to touch upon, my friend's disabled and when we were away with her last year she hated being reliant upon one of the lads having to carry her onto the beach so well done for bringing up such a difficult subject in such a sensitive well written fanfic. Hope you post again soon.xx

• 4 weeks later...

Clara listened to the story with interest, being careful to pass Hayley anything she needed and FINALLY finding herself starting to relax. Flynn appeared back a while later to take some measurements from Clara’s wheelchair but to his great surprise she stopped him:

“Honestly Flynn, you’d be better off getting measurements from an electric one at the hospital. They are usually a bit bigger than manuals & I’ll have to get one soon enough; Tina can't push me forever.”

Here Tina broke in: “I knew it would be this way for quite a while; I don’t mind.”

Clara smiled at her friend: “I know, and I’m really grateful chum, but quite a while is a lot shorter than forever; we need to plan.”

“I guess you’re right.” Tina sighed. “Now, tell me Hayley, when’s the baby due?”

“About six weeks time; this heat’s no fun though.” She sighed.

Pippa giggled: “Don’t let Noah hear you say that; he’ll likely cart you off to a New Zealand mountain!”

“Being a bit over-protective is he?” Sophie smiled.

“Just a bit!” said Hayley with a sigh: “He’ll be a great Dad though.”

“He sure will.” Flynn agreed, standing up: “He can't wait.”

Hayley had been about to agree when a car horn announced the arrival of Beth, Matilda & Tasha.

• 7 months later...

Over at the diner things inside were usually quiet, but Irene, Leah and Colleen were kept more than busy with orders from the beach crew.

“That poor, brave girl!” Colleen sighed, clearly enjoying having another particularly juicy bit of gossip to chew over. “To come all this way and in her condition to!”

Leah giggled: “She uses a wheelchair Colleen, as far as we know she’s not pregnant! Pass me the salad cream, Irene?”

Irene smiled and did: “It took guts, I’ll give her that. I doubt I’d be able to pick up and move half-way across the world, extra hassles or not.”

“That’s true; she & Tina must be really close for Tina to agree to come as well. I wonder how long they’ll stay?” Leah mused.

“Your guess is as good as mine Darl; but I’ll tell you something for nothing, if they high-tail it out of town next week after all the trouble everyone’s going to, I’ll send out the posse myself.”

The girl’s arrival at the Caravan Park caused quite a stir for they soon had Clara rushing around, helping to film proceedings and laughing her head off. Pippa, Tina and Sophie watched on from behind their sewing machines, smiles on their faces.

“Clara seems to be enjoying herself.”

Sophie said, stating the obvious.

Tina nodded, clearly relieved:

“Yeah, I haven’t seen her this relaxed since well before the idea of coming here came up. I’ll do her good to have a laugh.”

At this point, Sally, who had taken over helping Hayley spoke up:

“I was surprised; Cassie seems devoted to her already, they’ve really clicked. And I’d bet my bottom dollar little V.J.’s got his first crush; Leah says ever second from him these days is Clara.”

They all giggled.

“Speak of the Devil!”

Hayley agreed as Tamara and VJ (by now playing tag), hurtled past and vanished around the corner towards Van 1.

“Careful Tam, don’t trip!” Sophie called after them.

Tamara grinned up at her mother but didn’t stop for fear of being caught.

As the two children came round the corner they entered the camcorders viewing screen and Clara, being pushed by Tasha and holding the camera still with Mattie’s help, called out to them:

“Smile kids!”

This time they stopped just long enough to pull a silly face each for the camera and fled.

“Hey, I’ve just had a great idea.” Grinned Mattie “Who do want to ‘get’ first Clara?”

Clara’s eyes twinkled mischievously: “Scott; oh & how about Flynn? He’s BOUND to do something silly! Who do you think Tasha?”

Tasha thought for a second: “Cass, Ric & Mr Stewart should be funny. Oh but Mr. Stewart’s down at the beach.”

“That’s ok, we can take the camera down at lunch-time; he won’t get away!” Mattie laughed.

“Oh and we absolutely MUST do Tina; she’ll hate it!!” Clara insisted. “Ooh, this is going to be FUN!”

“’Operation Sneak Peak’ here we come!” Mattie agreed, sending all three off into gales of laughter!

Archived