Itv - No Episode Days

Guest dan

I've been researching what dates itv didn't show an ep and why,

I've found particularly useful www.barb.co.uk for it's audience figure archives,

www.homeand away.utv.ie, Home and away uncut (to tie down ep numbers to dates) and a archived version of the itv website from 1998 on www.archive.org .

This what I've got starting in May 1997!

Mon 5/5/97 Bank Holiday

Mon 26/5/97 BH

Mon 25/8/97 BH

Mon-Fri 26-30/12/97 Xmas

Fri 10/4/98 Good Friday

Mon 13/4/98 Easter Monday

Mon 4/5/98 BH

Mon 25/5/98 BH

Thurs 11/6/98 World Cup

Mon&Tues 15&16/6/98 World Cup

Thurs&Fri 18&19/6/98 World Cup

12 Fridays from 10/7 to 25/9 (dropped for no apparent reason)

Mon 31/8/98 BH

Mon-Fri 21-25/12/98 & 28/12/98-1/1/99 Xmas/New Year

Fri 2/4/99 (Good Friday?)

Mon-Fri 5-9,12-16&19-23/4/99 Three Week Break

Mon 3/5/99 BH

Mon 31/5/99 BH

Mon 30/8/99 BH

Fri 8/10/99 Rugby World Cup (barb has figures for Fri H&A but not Wed, mistake?)

Wed 20/10/99 Rugby World Cup

Fri 24/12/99 Xmas

Mon-Fri 27-31/12/99 Xmas/New Year

Mon 3/1/00 BH (?Milennium?)

Mon 1/5/00 BH

3 Fridays 19/5 to 2/6/00 (dropped to bring week into line ready for Five?)

Mon 29/5/00 BH

ITV skipped episode 2418 completely, showing 2419 straight after 2417 on 18&19/8/98!

Is this all correct? Can anyone confirm/contradict or even extend back beyond May 97?

ITV stopped showing episodes on Fridays for a while because they were catching up too close to Australia and if they didn't drop the episodes they would be in trouble next time Aus had their Christmas break (as they would catch up totally and run out of episodes to show :P ) :P

On one occasion, I think it was for a major sporting event but could have been a news thing or something, H&A was scheduled late at about 11pm but due to running late it never got shown so that could be the missing episode you are talking about. Also there were two dramatic episodes which were cut by ITV due to being too similar to real life events: one was Jesse's daughter Rachel being abducted by two boys in a shopping centre, the other was a guy holding up the school with a gun.

Thanks for that research dan, and it looks pretty accurate from my memory.

As I recall, the last ITV episode went out on Thu 8 June 2000, so I guess you could say they 'dropped' a Friday episode on 9 June.

As for prior to 1997, I'm sure they dropped a week of episodes in c. June 1996 for coverage of the Euro Cup. We were treated to repeats of Shane and Angel's love story and the episode featuring Tamara's birth as lunchtime fillers.

In the early years, because ITV were almost a year behind Channel Seven, it was rare for episodes to be dropped, except occasionally around the Christmas holidays, and then it tended to be a single episode rather than a week's worth of episodes. I don't have specific details, I'm afraid. I know the show went out on Christmas Day 1989 (but not the lunchtime showing) but was dropped on another occasion during the week. We actually got the 1988 Christmas storyline during Christmas week 1989!

Thanks for the replies, I've since discovered on H&A uncut that episode 1954 (the first unshown ep) should have gone out on 12/9/96, 1955 did instead. Counting the days and episodes means I need to find 11 non-ep days between Sep 96 and Apr/May 97, I guess that there is an easter monday and good friday and the rest is Xmas?

I remember the Shane and Angel special as I seem to recall ITV showing on many bank holidays and at Xmas for several years!

2418 mentioned above was the abduction episode.

All this begs one question, all my references for episode numbers come from private webpages back to about 1997, but how did the authors get ep numbers when they were setting up the earliest H&A webpages? Do Oz TV guides publish them ?

Thanks to an old Top of the pops magazine I now know that episode 2000 was 14/9/1996, therefore there was continuous Mon-Fri eps from mid Sep 1996 to Mid Nov 1996.

The 11 non-ep days now fit between mid Nov 96 and Apr 97!

Re the 11pm episode, I don't recall it happening to H&A but it DID happen to Corrie one Wednesday due to European Football which then went to extra time, it did eventually air at about midnight but they showed it again back to back with the Friday episode as virtually noone watched it on the Weds.

In my list at the top Xmas 97 should be 2 weeks, ep nos aren't displaced by this though as I just typed it wrong here but had it right on my original bit of paper.

Does anyone have any episode numbers with exact UK dates, even just a handful spanning 88-96? Or are there any other sites that might help?

I remember hearing tell of 2 eps that ITV edited SO much that they merged them, is this true? If so what eps?

ITV always didn't show episodes on Bank Holidays, Xmas, Easter, Sporting events and I remember them not showing the friday episode it was proabably because they were catching up with Aussie episodes. I'm sure there has to be a certain length of time between episodes shown in Oz and here in UK.

We've never got closer than 4 weeks(28 days) behind to my knowledge, so that may be the limit, however RTE in Ireland managed to get a day AHEAD for a couple of weeks and they must surely have a similar contract to ITV/five?

Also given the different timezones in the UK and Oz if the same ep showed in both countries on the same day which country would show it first?

We've never got closer than 4 weeks(28 days) behind to my knowledge, so that may be the limit, however RTE in Ireland managed to get a day AHEAD for a couple of weeks and they must surely have a similar contract to ITV/five?

Also given the different timezones in the UK and Oz if the same ep showed in both countries on the same day which country would show it first?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oz would show it first, unless the UK/Ireland moved the first showing to the morning.

Archived