How can the Leah problem be resolved?

adam436

Leah seems to be a bit of a spare part for some time now and for years she's drifted from one love interest to another. I like Leah and I certainly don't want to lose her, but I do want something to do be done to improve her character and give her some direction. 

I feel like they've made a few errors over the years. I feel like the most significant has been to pair her up with Miles and Zac so late into their stints. If she'd been paired with Miles and Zac soon after their arrivals, she'd have had 4+ years with Zac and over 3 with Miles. If she'd been paired with Miles early on. They could have moved her into Summer Bay House in the late 2000s too, and she could have become a foster mum to Evie, Oscar, Jai, Nicole etc too if she'd been paired with them earlier

Another issue I think, is that we already have two other long-term female characters who are also single and do very little other than work at the diner. I don't know how to fix this other than perhaps giving Leah or Roo a flatpack family. Roo could marry a single dad with kids or perhaps they could kill off one of Leah's brothers and have her become guardian to her nieces and nephews. 

She could become a recognised foster mother but given TPTB seem to have gone off the fostering idea in recent years and we already have John/Marilyn and Irene who take in waifs and strays, that's unlikely to happen either. 

A different job at the dinner feels like a character killer nowadays. All you see them do is work there, make small talk or give the odd piece of advice. Other than that it is just cooking food and making coffee. I believe in the years I wasn't watching  she was working as a counsellor at the school? Did that help her character at all? Get her back  to that or drop in center 2.0 could work well. Giving the fostering parents new charges to take in and can get counselling from Leah on the side thus killing 2 birds with 1 stone. They could have Irene running AA groups there a few times a week. It doesn't need to be a huge plot focus. Just her mentioning one of the meetings every now and then gives the illusion Irene has a life out side of the dinner and is doing somthing with her long years of sobriety (minus a few slips). They can always put the AA group into the spot light now and then if they need a storyline to fall back on

I don't watch the show currently, but Leah has felt like a spare part for a number of years. They tried very hard in 2010 and 2011, and she was very likeable during this period. Her and Miles' breakup was painful to watch, and Leah behaved horribly.

Since then they tested the waters of a relationship with Brax, with predictably poor viewer feedback. Since then she has moved further and further away from the fun character we used to know, and I don't know what she offers the show today.

10 hours ago, dee123 said:

They need an actor who wants to commit to more than a couple of years, so they can become a couple and they can foster and create a family.

True - the ideal situation would be for her to have a long-term partner (i.e. Michael and Pippa, John and Marilyn, Alf and Ailsa), but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. I guess TPTB could gauge whether they think an actor wants to make a long-term commitment, but circumstances do change. It's a shame they paired up with Zac and Miles late into their stints, as that would have given her some stability for 3-4 years per partner, as opposed to the 1-2 she ended up with.

Do you think perhaps Tony should have been paired off with Leah rather than Rachel back in the late 2000s? Both Leah and Tony had been twice widowed (essentially, though he wasn't married to Beth) by that point, so they had similar backgrounds, and as far as I know Jon Sivewright was only written out because Amy Mathews left, so perhaps he'd have still been around today

I think part of the problem that makes her feel like a spare part is that we already have two single women working at the diner and doing hardly anything else, but unlike them, Leah is now basically a single character. She's lost her son and husband (and his niece, nephew and "son"), whereas Roo has family connections and Irene has always taken in waifs and strays for as long as I can remember. In hindsight, perhaps they should have cast Ada as Ailsa's secret daughter rather than Kylie Watson. At least then she would be Alf's step-daughter and the bond/link would be stronger, rather than what she currently has with Alf. 

It's easy to say "in hindsight" and "they should have done that", but yeah, imagine how different things would be if they did that :)

I don't know about that. If they could get someone, even "a name" and make sure they get the same kind of perks like extended breaks that Georgie, Lynne, Ray and the rest of the vets get then i don't see why they couldn't find someone.

1 hour ago, jaybok1 said:

Leah used to be so bubbly and fun and brought an amazing energy to the show. and she stopped this in about 2012/2013 and now It's really hard to connect to her character and she always seams angry. It's sad because she was always one of my favs.

A working single mum her whole life, 2 dead husbands, 1 cheating husband, 2 miscarriages and countless failed relationships... it's realistic she's been jaded but it doesn't make her the best character to watch unless they run with it and make her how how Morag used to be.

• 1 month later...

Archived