Storylines that went nowhere

adam436

11 minutes ago, voyager50 said:

OMG - I hadn't remembered it being that serious between them  - So Alf was incestuous as well asadultorous  (albeit obliviuosly) in his younger days!!!!

I wonder if the storywriters conveniently forgot this storyline when they came up with the one about Coleen and Alf - it would have really changed the script if they had remembered it and dealt with the consequences!!

Well as mentioned on the profile page, they did intend to address it briefly, but the scene was one of three for that episode that had to be cut for timing.

It just consisted of a tipsy Colleen's face suddenly dropping in horror and her shrieking "Oh lord, my Maureen! Tell me you didn't....you know....Alf Stewart!". Morag grimaced with distaste and Alf went white and blustered "Gawd woman, don't even go there".

It was there to acknowledge the continuity for long-term viewers, but with the subject of incest not dwelled on for the kiddies. They did regret having to drop it as it was a very funny moment, but the rest of the scene slowed the pace of the episode down a bit so it was one of the obvious ones to cut when the episode came in too long.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dan F said:

Well as mentioned on the profile page, they did intend to address it briefly, but the scene was one of three for that episode that had to be cut for timing.

It just consisted of a tipsy Colleen's face suddenly dropping in horror and her shrieking "Oh lord, my Maureen! Tell me you didn't....you know....Alf Stewart!". Morag grimaced with distaste and Alf went white and blustered "Gawd woman, don't even go there".

It was there to acknowledge the continuity for long-term viewers, but with the subject of incest not dwelled on for the kiddies. They did regret having to drop it as it was a very funny moment, but the rest of the scene slowed the pace of the episode down a bit so it was one of the obvious ones to cut when the episode came in too long.

I do believe you but just wondering how you know this ?

On 3/9/2018 at 03:39, Sally Keating said:

That was a terrible one, as was the official "explanation" from the producers as to why it stopped.

what was the 'explanation'? I loved this storyline and it just ended out of nowhere. there was another gunshot fired when Angelo killed Jack at the development site and we never found out who it was or why. They could have continued the story in 2009 when belle died of cancer and someone could have continued researching and investigating the cancer cluster. 

20 hours ago, jaybok1 said:

what was the 'explanation'? I loved this storyline and it just ended out of nowhere. there was another gunshot fired when Angelo killed Jack at the development site and we never found out who it was or why. They could have continued the story in 2009 when belle died of cancer and someone could have continued researching and investigating the cancer cluster. 

I think it was something along the lines of "In real life not everything gets a conclusion" bla bla bla. Like we're supposed to believe they actually planned this big story from the beginning and the intention was always to leave it completely unfinished. Yeah right. That's believable.

There were quite a few early years stories that seemed like filler that went nowhere (eg Pippa had a few foster kids that lasted for a few days, guest characters like Loony Laura, Angel's sister and Quinn, storylines like Marilyn searching for her parents 

21 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Narelle in Summer Bay then disappearing into the night to the City.

Wasn't she being built up to be one of the show's major stars and then just left? Looking her up on Wikipedia, she was tipped to replace Kylie Minogue as the #1 soap star on UK TV.  

Another storyline in the early years that was disappointing was Revhead's sister which showed a softer side to Revhead. I was hoping it would mark a change in his character but unfortunately during Revhead's next stint there was no mention of her and he seemed flat out evil again. 

Frankie was in it about the same time as Selina was a guest. I wondered if Frankie didn't work out as planned or the actress didn't want a regular role. Either way the producers might have promoted Selina to a regular instead.

Archived