Did Joel Nash have long-term potential?

adam436

7 hours ago, harrietjames said:

Rebecca and Roo didn't even attend each others weddings - what evidence do we have that they're that close...

My brother in law has a sister I've never met. I have cousins I have probably spoken once to in the past 10 years.

Roo and Rebecca did have some interaction in 1989 I think Roo was relatively close with her and Alan when they grew up

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

His complex relationship with Gypsy was interesting.

There is that - him being around during Gypsy's pregnancy would have been interesting. 

I just think it would have been great for the show to have a long-term police officer and he was a strong fatherly figure too. 

10 hours ago, harrietjames said:

Rebecca and Roo didn't even attend each others weddings - what evidence do we have that they're that close...

My brother in law has a sister I've never met. I have cousins I have probably spoken once to in the past 10 years.

??? Good for you. Not all families are like that.

3 hours ago, adam436 said:

There is that - him being around during Gypsy's pregnancy would have been interesting. 

I just think it would have been great for the show to have a long-term police officer and he was a strong fatherly figure too. 

Him being around during Gypsy pregnancy would be awesome

23 hours ago, adam436 said:

I was just wondering, does anyone else think that Joel had the potential to become a long-term character?

I guess the first question is, was David Woodley axed or did he leave of his own accord? I feel like he, along with a number of characters such as Tom, Natalie, Judith, Edward and Peta, were all axed to make way for the Sutherlands. If he was, I feel like it was a mistake, as I could see David having stuck around for years. Here's why I think he could have stayed: 

• It would have been good for continuity to have a long-term resident as a cop, and also one that was a family man and firm-but-fair. I'm picturing something along the lines of Blue Heelers' Tom Croydon or A Country Practice's Frank Gilroy as he got older.
  • I imagine they could have introduced one or two foster children over the years as children who are "at risk" or "repeat offenders" which he believed he could save. 
  • I often thought Paula Forrest would have been a good recast Natalie as she was very similar in appearance to Natalie #1, but I don't know if they'd go for a third recast so soon. Perhaps Natalie could have gone away to help her sister out with a crisis and return played by Paula and with her three nieces in tow. Then when Paula left in 2002, he would have met and married Beth, and we would have got a good 3 years out their happy marriage before she died. Obviously if Antoinette was axed though, it would have made sense to keep her on in the role for as long as she wanted to stay :P 
  • Tom was a pretty forgettable character that they could have easily recast him down the line if they wanted new family for Joel.
  • He could have met and married Roo in the early 2010s, which would have created another long-term and stable H&A couple for the current show. 

Joel is my favourite and yes I think he potential to become a long term character. 

Im so glad you started this topic

No David wasnt axed he has confirmed and said he would of been happy to stay on the show. Yes I agree it was a mistake writting Joel out as I could see him in many potential storylines such as Gypsy's pregnancy.

I feel like they could have written Judith out and brought Shelley in as a single Mum to 3 girls (Dani,Jade and Kirsty) as Rhys died a few years back. 

Him being married to Roo would be cool.

I feel like he would have got on well with Jack Holden and Kat. 

18 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

I honestly think that he did have a lot more potential and that axing him was a mistake.

The actor was really good too.

His complex relationship with Gypsy was interesting.

Yes they didnt axe him but it was mistake him getting written out by the producers when he is actor wanted to stay.

Yes he is a awesome actor he has started alongside Graeme Squries who played his onscreen son and Kate Ritchie (Sally) and Martin Dinglewall (Flynn) in Cops LAC he also appeared in Dance Academy.

His relationship with Gypsy was intresting I think that is why I liked it so much and miss it so much

7 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Roo and Rebecca did have some interaction in 1989 I think Roo was relatively close with her and Alan when they grew up

Thanks, I don't specifically remember their interactions, back in 89. Jane Hall only played Rebecca for a few episodes back then but I thought she turned up after Roo left. I was thinking of the other Rebeccas who never interacted with Roo on screen (including phone calls etc)

5 hours ago, dee123 said:

??? Good for you. Not all families are like that.

Not a helpful comment. Just because some families are all lovey dovey doesn't mean they all are. The extended Stewart clan have more than their share of conflict - it's not a given just because they are related, they have a great relationship. It would be reasonable for both girls to take their respective mother's sides in the affair which resulted in Bobby and never speak again. They have all shunned Debra for reasons unknown.

Would Duncan and Quinn have spoken since her first stint? Probably not

3 hours ago, harrietjames said:

Thanks, I don't specifically remember their interactions, back in 89. Jane Hall only played Rebecca for a few episodes back then but I thought she turned up after Roo left. I was thinking of the other Rebeccas who never interacted with Roo on screen (including phone calls etc)

Not a helpful comment. Just because some families are all lovey dovey doesn't mean they all are. The extended Stewart clan have more than their share of conflict - it's not a given just because they are related, they have a great relationship. It would be reasonable for both girls to take their respective mother's sides in the affair which resulted in Bobby and never speak again. They have all shunned Debra for reasons unknown.

Would Duncan and Quinn have spoken since her first stint? Probably not

There's only one Rebecca in the story despite different actors. 

And yes, I remember now she pops round to see Roo and Morag at her mansion and Morag invite her around for dinner or says they should catch up or something like that. As they are first cousins around the same age I think they did know each other. Perhaps they have drifted apart but I'm sure if Joel returned they would make that link. Even without that Roo might now who Joel and Travis are. Alf knew the Nash family including the parents. So Roo may have remembered them too when little

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

There's only one Rebecca in the story despite different actors. 

And yes, I remember now she pops round to see Roo and Morag at her mansion and Morag invited her around for dinner or says they should catch up or something like that. As they are first cousins around the same age I think they did know each other. Perhaps they have drifted apart but I'm sure if Joel returned they would make that link. Even without that Roo might now who Joel and Travis are. Alf knew the Nash family including the parents. So Roo may have remembered them too when little

I know there are the same person, even though they have different heads. Just differentiating the different stints.

I must have missed those eps both times round. I knew Jane Hall played Rebecca, but now not sure if I saw any of her or just read it somewhere.

A more realistic connect for me would be Roo remembering Joel (and Travis) from her childhood rather that loose claim to them being family. And the link to Ryder is worse. "Hey Ryder - You have a great Aunt Barb who you didn't know existed, who has a daughter Rebecca that you've never met, well she married Travis and his brother is the dude who is arresting you because your silly prank went wrong.... By the way Joel, welcome back to the Bay."

I liked Joel, having him back in the Bay makes sense - he's got posted at Yabbie Creek back to his child hood home. Just not due to being family to Alf, Roo and Ryder - he is far too distant family

6 hours ago, adam436 said:

We possibly wouldn't have had Rhys, Tony and either Sid or Harvey had Joel stuck around either.

But don’t forget Harvey and Sid come on show lot later on so it’s kind of hard to say. 

Because for all we know the actor who played Joel may have decided to leave himself. 

Personally I'd rather Judith and Joel had stayed instead of Rhys and Shelley and become a solid couple at Summer Bay and fostered the Sutherland girls. 

I never liked Rhys and I liked Shelley but they never fleshed her character out. Judith was much more of character than a run of the mill Mum like Pippa and Shelley. 

10 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

But don’t forget Harvey and Sid come on show lot later on so it’s kind of hard to say. 

Because for all we know the actor who played Joel may have decided to leave himself. 

Personally I'd rather Judith and Joel had stayed instead of Rhys and Shelley and become a solid couple at Summer Bay and fostered the Sutherland girls. 

I never liked Rhys and I liked Shelley but they never fleshed her character out. Judith was much more of character than a run of the mill Mum like Pippa and Shelley. 

No Joel's actor didnt want to leave. 

I agree about Judith and Joel and the Sutherland girls.

I was never a fan of Rhys or Shelley

Archived