Did Joel Nash have long-term potential?

adam436

I was just wondering, does anyone else think that Joel had the potential to become a long-term character?

I guess the first question is, was David Woodley axed or did he leave of his own accord? I feel like he, along with a number of characters such as Tom, Natalie, Judith, Edward and Peta, were all axed to make way for the Sutherlands. If he was, I feel like it was a mistake, as I could see David having stuck around for years. Here's why I think he could have stayed: 

• It would have been good for continuity to have a long-term resident as a cop, and also one that was a family man and firm-but-fair. I'm picturing something along the lines of Blue Heelers' Tom Croydon or A Country Practice's Frank Gilroy as he got older.
  • I imagine they could have introduced one or two foster children over the years as children who are "at risk" or "repeat offenders" which he believed he could save. 
  • I often thought Paula Forrest would have been a good recast Natalie as she was very similar in appearance to Natalie #1, but I don't know if they'd go for a third recast so soon. Perhaps Natalie could have gone away to help her sister out with a crisis and return played by Paula and with her three nieces in tow. Then when Paula left in 2002, he would have met and married Beth, and we would have got a good 3 years out their happy marriage before she died. Obviously if Antoinette was axed though, it would have made sense to keep her on in the role for as long as she wanted to stay :P 
  • Tom was a pretty forgettable character that they could have easily recast him down the line if they wanted new family for Joel.
  • He could have met and married Roo in the early 2010s, which would have created another long-term and stable H&A couple for the current show. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, adam436 said:

I was just wondering, does anyone else think that Joel had the potential to become a long-term character?

I guess the first question is, was David Woodley axed or did he leave of his own accord? I feel like he, along with a number of characters such as Tom, Natalie, Judith, Edward and Peta, were all axed to make way for the Sutherlands. If he was, I feel like it was a mistake, as I could see David having stuck around for years. Here's why I think he could have stayed: 

• It would have been good for continuity to have a long-term resident as a cop, and also one that was a family man and firm-but-fair. I'm picturing something along the lines of Blue Heelers' Tom Croydon or A Country Practice's Frank Gilroy as he got older.
  • I imagine they could have introduced one or two foster children over the years as children who are "at risk" or "repeat offenders" which he believed he could save. 
  • I often thought Paula Forrest would have been a good recast Natalie as she was very similar in appearance to Natalie #1, but I don't know if they'd go for a third recast so soon. Perhaps Natalie could have gone away to help her sister out with a crisis and return played by Paula and with her three nieces in tow. Then when Paula left in 2002, he would have met and married Beth, and we would have got a good 3 years out their happy marriage before she died. Obviously if Antoinette was axed though, it would have made sense to keep her on in the role for as long as she wanted to stay :P 
  • Tom was a pretty forgettable character that they could have easily recast him down the line if they wanted new family for Joel.
  • He could have met and married Roo in the early 2010s, which would have created another long-term and stable H&A couple for the current show. 

Yep. Strong links to the past too being a summerbay local being born there. Not many current characters are actually from the bay. 

7 hours ago, adam436 said:

Joel was a great character who I see being around today.

he has connections as he lived in the bay and today has connections with Alf, Irene, Marilyn, Leah and Olivia

32 minutes ago, jakeyy. said:

Joel was a great character who I see being around today.

he has connections as he lived in the bay and today has connections with Alf, Irene, Marilyn, Leah and Olivia

He has connections with Roo & Ryder too given that his brother is married to Roo’s cousin.

10 minutes ago, c120701 said:

He has connections with Roo & Ryder too given that his brother is married to Roo’s cousin.

That a bit of a stretch. Distant relationship by marriage doesn't really make a connection. We never hear how Rebecca is, from either Roo or Alf, so it's we can't assume that they have any sort of actual relationship.  He has a greater connection to Leah whom he had an actual relationship with while they both lived in the same town.  

2 hours ago, c120701 said:

2 hours ago, harrietjames said:

That a bit of a stretch. Distant relationship by marriage doesn't really make a connection. We never hear how Rebecca is, from either Roo or Alf, so it's we can't assume that they have any sort of actual relationship.  He has a greater connection to Leah whom he had an actual relationship with while they both lived in the same town.  

No it isn't. They are family, related by marriage or not. They would actually see each other throughout the year.

1 hour ago, dee123 said:

No it isn't. They are family, related by marriage or not. They would actually see each other throughout the year.

Rebecca and Roo didn't even attend each others weddings - what evidence do we have that they're that close...

My brother in law has a sister I've never met. I have cousins I have probably spoken once to in the past 10 years.

8 hours ago, harrietjames said:

It is, but when Don & Gypsy were the last members of their families in town we’d get the odd scene acknowledging their link through Travis & Rebecca, which was lovely, so it’d be the same with Roo & Joel.

Archived