When did H&A become more dark?.

j.laur5

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dark? Their were alot of storylines in the 90's that could be perceived as dark. Home and Away was never the run of the mill Family Drama. It always had an edge about it. 

I don't think the characters that have come into the show have been mostly dark. It has always been that one character who has brought that element into the show. Like Sarah Lewis. 

4 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

i think become more dark in 2004 with Sarah Lewis storyline.

The show has always had dark storylines, but the crime/stalker stuff really took off around then and has pretty much continued to this day. Perhaps even a little earlier than that with Dani's rape and Shauna's kidnapping in 2001 and Vinnie going to prison and "dying" in 2002.

There have always been dark storylines since the early days, e.g. Carly’s rape, but the balance was better with the lighter storylines. Also most of the early storylines showed had the criminals being punished, and normally the “bad” characters were only guest cast, and their exit usually was linked to their comeuppance.

The series definitely became more serious and dark from the early 2000’s, to where we are now with some of the bad characters being integrated into the cast and being portrayed as decent people. E.g. Kane raped Dani but seemed to do OK.

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

E.g. Kane raped Dani but seemed to do OK.

Based on things said in the mediation, Kane believed it was mutual, not rape at the time.

WE usually have 2 types of "bad" characters - guests who stay bad and cast who go onto be redeemed (but there are times when the establishing a character as a "bad boy" goes too far and folks think them unredeemable - Hunter is one based on opinions on this forum

I would say around 2006.The Sarah Lewis storyline was the last one I remember  being really good and having an impact but it wasn't till awhile later that I started thinking it was becoming the norm and having  little to no real relevance.

I'd say the late 90s with Rober Perez/David D'Angelo. Then you had Joel vs Jesse as well as Harry and his witness protection saga. Not having a cop for a while after Nick left gave the show a rest from heavy crime. 

We didn't really have a permanent cop again until the Sarah Lewis saga and then we moved from that to Eve/Zoe to Corey which all was exciting and riveting (and not heavy crime sprees) because they were long story arcs, where it wasn't "an eye for an eye" with all characters out for revenge. 

The show had a very dark moment in the lead up to and after the 1996 season finale. The whole Chloe and Brad scenario. After that I would say from the first summer bay stalker i.e the summer bay siege, Sarah Lewis, then crazy Zoe,  then we moved on to Sam, that was a dark dark season. Then one that always comes to mind is the 2009 season. The whole people smuggling storyline. Home and Away got dark proper post 2003. Has always been on and off since that. 

Does anyone rememeber the child kidnapping at the mall with Ailsa, and when Laura ran infront of the train tracks. This was during the early to mid 1990s seasons. The show has always pushed the limits really. 

Archived