Jessica Falkholt fighting for life after triple-fatal Boxing Day crash

cintim

Sorry, I didn't even realise there was a separate forum for news and articles until after I had posted this in both general discussion and australian discussion, and the news had only been published on the BBC only one hour before I shared it on both forums, so I also did not know the news had broken many hours before that anywhere else. I would though point to the reply that has already been posted on the Australia forum as showing that at least two of us (so far) did not know about (or do not use) the news and articles forum. I expect more people will reply on both copies of this thread in time (unless these threads get closed/deleted).  I posted in both general and australian forums because I figured this applied equally to Australian and British fans (the latter of whom tended to use only the general discussion forum a few years ago when I was a more regular poster here, so I assumed that was likely to still be the case).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5219825/Home-Away-actress-sister-dies-horror-car-crash.html

BREAKING NEWS: Home and Away actress' sister, 21, dies three days after horror car crash with a drug addict that killed their parents and left the actress fighting for her life.

Home and Away actress Jessica Falkholt has undergone surgery after car crash

The 28-year-old was driving to Sydney with her parents and sister on Boxing Day

Ms Falkholt and sister Annabelle, 21, were both pulled alive from the car wreck

The girls' parents Lars, 69, and Vivian, 60, were both killed instantly in the crash 

Craig Anthony Whitall, driver of the other car, also died in the head-on collision 

Relatives say Jessica has undergone surgery for broken arm and internal injuries

The younger sister of Home and Away actress Jessica Falkholt has died, three days after a horror car crash which also claimed the lives of her parents.

Annabelle Falkholt was pulled from the wreckage of her family car alive but died in the Intensive Care Unit at Liverpool Hospital, in Sydney, on Friday afternoon.

The 21-year-old childcare worker was travelling home from Christmas celebrations with her actress sister and parents when their car was involved in a head-on crash.

Ms Falkholt's parents Lars, 69, and Vivian, 60, were killed instantly in the crash. The driver of the other vehicle, Craig Anthony Whitall, 50, also died in the inferno.  

Family members told Daily Mail Australia that Annabelle was a successful childcare worker and a 'kind girl'.

'Annabelle worked at a centre in Lilyfield and some of her work colleagues came in here to see her yesterday,' she said.

'She worked with young babies and she was very nurturing. She was very caring and she just loved children... she is such a kind girl.'  

Her sister, an actress, best known for her role on Home and Away, underwent surgery on a broken arm and internal injuries at St George Hospital on Thursday.

She is still unconscious and in a critical condition in ICU, while there is no change to the condition of her younger sister who is at Liverpool Hospital.

????

RIP Annabelle 

Another article 

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/stars-rally-as-falkholt-sisters-fight-for-life/news-story/95a16bddcf8cc3a07f5bed89f8d4325d

Annabelle Falkholt dies three days after horror Boxing Day crash as Jessica fights for life

DECEMBER 29, 20173:58pm

ANNABELLE Falkholt, the sister of former Home and Away star Jessica Falkholt, has died three days after a horror crash left her fighting for life in Sydney’s Liverpool Hospital.

The 21-year-old was travelling in the back of her family’s car with her sister Jessica when they were involved in a head-on crash near Sussex Inlet on the NSW south coast.

Annabelle was pulled from the wreckage with her 28-year-old sister after both cars went up in flames but sadly died in Liverpool Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit this afternoon.

Australian star of the new Romper Stomper TV series Jacqueline McKenzie led the celebrity support for the sisters after the fiery crash that killed their parents.

It comes amid news the other driver involved, Craig Anthony Whitall, was known for previous traffic offences and drug use, according to the Daily Telegraph.

“Jess is a brilliant, kind, beautiful actress,” McKenzie wrote online. “This is utterly devastating news.”

Jessica Falkholt’s co-star on Home and Away, James Stewart joined in to rally the acting community behind the performer, including a tribute from fellow co-star Pia Miller.

Jessica, 28, and Annabelle, 21, were left in a critical condition after the Boxing Day crash near Ulladulla.

The 28-year-old, a graduate from the National Institute of Dramatic Art who has played a role in Home and Away and other Australian television series, was travelling with her family when their vehicle was involved in a collision with a four-wheel drive.

Witnesses pulled the girls from the wreckage as the vehicles were engulfed in flames but her parents died at the scene, along with a 50-year-old man named as Craig Anthony Whitall.

Whitall was a serial traffic offender and known drug user, The Daily Telegraph reported. He had been jailed for driving while disqualified and was driving on P plates having only recently got his licence back, the newspaper said.

Meanwhile Fairfax media reports Whitall was heading home from a methadone clinic when the crash occured. He was killed instantly, along with Lars Falkholt, 69, and his wife Vivian, 60.

Whitall’s son Shane paid an emotional tribute to his father on Facebook, saying: “This was around the same time you lost your life this morning”.

“I love you with all my heart dad and will forever miss you you were my hero I don’t give a f*ck what anyone says you showed me alot in my life more than youl ever know its such a tragedy to loose you I LOVE YOU DAD RIP XXXXXOOOOO” (sic).

Jessica is in a critical condition in St George Hospital in the south of Sydney.

Co-star Jackson Heywood, writing on Instagram, called for people to drive safe alongside a photo of Ms Falkholt.

“Can we please send all our support, love and prayers to Jess and her sister Annabelle, fighting for their lives after their crash on boxing day,” he said. “Much love darlin. Im with ya. May u both make a full recovery.”

Network Seven said the Home and Away family are sending their love and support to the actress and her sister.

“Although her time on set was brief, once a part of the Home and Away family, always part of the family,” a spokesman said.

5 minutes ago, Kellicopter said:

So incredibly sad! I’m pretty sure 9 News just said they’d turned off Jessica’s life support but I must have misheard. If she does survive this then she’s going to have SO much to deal with :(

Yeah they did. They just corrected it tho

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/beautiful-angel-boyfriend-s-heartfelt-tribute-to-car-crash-victim-annabelle-falkholt?cid=trending

‘Beautiful angel’: Boyfriend’s heartfelt tribute to car crash victim Annabelle Falkholt

Ms Falkholt, 21, died on Friday following a car crash on Boxing Day that killed her parents and critically injured her older sister.

The family was on their way from Ulladulla on the New South Wales Central Coast after their Christmas celebrations when their car was involved in a collision with a four-wheel drive.

The driver of the other vehicle, 50-year-old Craig Whitall, died at the scene, as did 69-year-old Lars and 60-year-old Vivian Falkholt.

The sisters were pulled alive from the wreckage and brought to separate hospitals in NSW, where Annabelle succumbed to her injuries on Friday.

Jordan Brohier, who was her boyfriend, said on Facebook that he had “lost the love of (his) life”.

“I've never met such a kind, gentle soul and this world is at such a loss without this beautiful angel. The three years I knew her were the best years of my life,” he wrote.

“I just keep hoping that I'll wake up from this terrible nightmare and see her gorgeous eyes looking back at me. She was the most amazing girl I've ever met, loved by everyone that came in contact with her.

“Even though I would (have) loved to have spent the rest of my life with her, I am happy that she is pain-free and smiling down on all those who were lucky enough to have her in their lives.”

Mr Brohier said he was “shattered” by the loss and that his prayers were with his girlfriend’s sister, 28-year-old Home and Away actor Jessica Falkholt, who remains in a critical condition in hospital.

“Please, everyone, be careful when you are on the roads. You may not think it but a car is a deadly weapon if your mind isn't 100 per cent concentrating on what you are doing.

“Be mindful of what you are doing when behind the wheel and constantly be aware of others around you too,” he warned.

The Sunday Telegraph this morning:

Family’s torment over Home and Away actor Jessica Falkholt’s ‘50-50’ chance of survival

RELATIVES of car crash victim Jessica Falkholt are praying she wakes up but don’t know how they will explain she’s the only member of her family left.

The Home And Away actor is in intensive care at St George Hospital and family members said her chances of survival are “50-50”.

The 28-year-old has undergone numerous surgeries — including the removal of one kidney and part of her skull to relieve the pressure on her brain — and is in a coma.

“The neurosurgeon spoke to the family (on Friday) and said it could take weeks or months because they do not know how much brain damage there is,” James Randazzo, husband of Jessica’s second cousin Cathy Randazzo, said.

“He said her brain is like a Ferrari in that you can make everything look all right but you won’t know until you turn the ignition on whether the ­engine is going to start.”

Jessica, her sister Annabelle, 21, and their parents Lars, 69, and Vivian, 60, were returning from Christmas celebrations in Ulladulla on Boxing Day when their car had a head-on collision with another car driven by P-plater Craig Anthony Whitall, 50.

Whitall died in the inferno, which also claimed all three members of Jessica’s family ­including sister Annabelle, who died on Friday.

“It is the left-hand side of Jess’ brain which was damaged and that is the side that affects personality and memory — that is the fear,” Mr Randazzo said.

“She may wake up and, if she does wake up, is she going to be a different person?

“If we get to that point then someone is going to have to break the news to her about the rest of her family.”

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal that Annabelle Falkholt was pulled from the wreckage conscious and said her name when asked.

Jessica, however, was only able to open one eye and look at witnesses before she lost consciousness.

Both Jessica and Annabelle were rescued from the car ­before it was engulfed in flames, despite early reports that both suffered burns.

Cathy Randazzo, 40, said doctors will test Jessica’s brain function after swelling on her brain has gone down, a process that could take weeks.

In the meantime family members have made a pact to stay positive around her.

“We have been reminiscing at her bedside and are hoping that she can hear us,” Mrs Randazzo said.

“It’s devastating seeing someone you love in such a state and we just want her to wake up. I have been saying to her that she better get well soon because we have to do the Bay Run again.

“Jess still has her nails painted in gold glitter. Annabelle had her nails painted in blue glitter and so we are thinking they did each other’s nails over Christmas.”

Mr and Mrs Randazzo said the family only started funeral arrangements yesterday.

Twenty-four people have died on NSW roads in the 2017 Christmas period, the worst since 2009. There have been 389 road victims this year.

Archived