Is H&A the most iconic soap ever in its home country Australia?

Homeandawayfan.

13 hours ago, dee123 said:

Yes, but popularity does not equal quality. If that was the case The Fast & The Furious and the Transformers movies would win Oscars.

I guess you could use the same logic "popularity equals quality" for any periord of Home and Away ever. I guess its a subjective question. 

On 11/13/2017 at 23:03, pembie said:

The Transformers movies are just mind numbling awful :lol: I quite like the The Fast & The Furious series Dragging the bank safe around the city springs to mind

Fast and Furious premises are arguably more believable then the fact Kat is still a cop :lol:

I think H&A has grown stronger than Neighbours as H&A is not scared to make storylines and characters  more complex. I think the Braxton's are the ones who help the show into a new direction.  No doubt people are not going to like my comment however I grew to like the Braxton's due to them bringing something original and fresh to the show. Also we had some wonderful younger cast like Matt/Ricky/Hannah/Chris etc.

2012-2013 era cast absence is very  noticeable and show has felt bit flat since they left.

I think want made grow to love H&A more is being Sydney three  times over last few years and meeting actors around Sydney.

20-25 years ago H&A was huuuuge here in the UK. Everyone knew what H&A was. Sad to see it is now a niche soap yet once did have a huge impact on British TV all those years ago.  A few times in the summer it beat EastEnders according to old viewing figures and was always ahead of Emmerdale until the plane crash. It was seen as ITV's 2nd soap to Coronation Street for a while as well.

• 4 weeks later...

If Number 96 was more well known (and if Network Ten hadn't wiped half the damn episodes) I feel like that'd give H&A a run for its money. It only lasted 5 years but had some hugely controversial and pioneering storylines that place it pretty high in my list of favourite soaps.

On 13/11/2017 at 13:02, alexx said:

The TV industry over here doesn't really look at soaps as legitimate drama either, there is/used to be a snobbery about soaps for whatever reason.

Sometimes I feel as if Seven themselves don't really take Home and Away seriously. They're so focussed on stirring up drama some of the storylines just don't feel very legitimate to me.

Archived