Who thinks Selina and Steven were a good couple

sallyandflynnfan

I was just wondering. Does anyone have any idea if they always planned to reunite Steven and Selina after they broke up in 1996? Or the timing just worked for her exit? I would like to think it was always planned.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just found one of my favourite Selven quotes from Episode 2003.  Steven has just handed in his resignation letter and Selina apologises to Steven.

Steven:  I don't regret what's happened.  I just wish it had all turned out a little differently, that's all.

I'm so glad they eventually got together.

• 4 months later...

I have been thinking about their relationship a lot as I write the fanfic.

There have been other teacher student relationships in soap.  The teacher has sometimes been with other students or the student sometimes claims the teacher was harrassing them whether it's true or not.

I think the writers at the time did well to put them together.  Yes they were teacher and student but they were both long running characters on the show.  Even after they split up Selina still stood up for Steven and defended his corner.

Also the writers eventually put them back together and gave them their happy ending.  Yes they might have split up (that's for another alternative fanfic if I ever do the research to write it.)  I think they had good chemistry.  They did genuinely love each other and fought the odds to be together.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the comments last night but I didn't want to rush my reply.  I have spent too much of my spare time trying to figure this out and getting into Steven's headspace.  (The romantic in me has always wanted them together whatever the relationship between them was at the time.)  I wanted to think it out and then post it.  Others might disagree with me.  I accept that. We don't all agree on everything and it's good to have a debate.

I think Steven didn't set out planning to have a relationship with his student.  As he said in Episode 2212 they fell for each other at the wrong time, they were teacher and student.

Donald told him that it was wrong to have a relationship with a student.  Steven fought hard to control his feelings for Selina.  When he gave in to his feelings he decided to blow the ethics.  He loved Selina more than his job.

He also said to Selina after he resigned that he didn't regret what happened (I guess he meant the relationnship) but wish things had turned out differently. I wonder if Steven wishes that he had resigned immediately from his job and they stayed together instead of Selina getting together with Jesse.

Archived