Where are the super couples?

adam436

Is it just me or does Home and Away not seem invested in creating memorable/"golden" couples anymore? Look at the cast from 2013 onward. The teens to jump from one relationship to the next rather quickly and even many of the 20somethings (Ash, Nate, Phoebe, Hannah) didn't seem to have a long-term love interest either. I understand actors come and go, but in many cases both actors remain on the show.

We've had Bianca and Heath and of course Brax and Ricky/Charlie, but the writers were obsessed with the Braxtons. I think the last non-Braxton couple the writers were really invested in was Belle and Aiden, but I didn't really watch during that period, so I could be wrong. Do Billie and VJ count? 

Just to be clear, by "golden" couples, I am referring to those that were "destined" to be together from the start and we followed their journey onscreen, such as Shane and Angel, Sally and Flynn, Kane and Kirsty (before she returned in 2008), Vinnie and Leah and to a lesser extent Will and Gypsy and Rebecca and Travis. 

3 hours ago, adam436 said:

Is it just me...

Yep, just you....

Seriously though, I agree, I've said the same thing in other posts. The partner swapping and the on-again-off-again makes it difficult to invest in a couple. The drama needs to be external to the couple, so that they have to face it together. And they have to have a bond so strong that the only exit story lines that make sense to leave the Bay to live happily ever after or one has to die.

To that end, I can't count either Heath and Bianca (they've been too on and off) or Brax and Ricky(too many other people) as a super-couple and both Braxton brothers did too much "go off and "fix" things" despite their partner whereas a super couple should face issues as a unit.

5 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Hunter and Olivia.

While they are the closest we have, I don't think they really count. They're too on again off again and they don't deal with their issues together. You look at Shane and Angel and most of the issues that faced them were as a couple, whereas most of Olivia and Hunter's issues are more individual issues. The pregnancy storyline was more about how each of them dealt with it rather than how they dealt together...

It's about the writing too - Shannon would have actually slept with Shane and the drama would have been about Shane cheating rather than both being victims of a lie(even though it was hypothetical and a response to an attack rather than actual lie) if it were written today.

Agreed. All this partner swapping is unnecessary. The other problem is that there is no build up to the couples getting together, so you can never really invest. One minute the characters have never shared a scene and then suddenly they are in love, and we are meant to buy it. Even couples that are currently together such as Kat/Ash and Olivia/Hunter are such on/off couples with little real depth, that I can't imagine them lasting much longer, and certainly couldn't imagine them only being separated by death (such as Shane/Angel or Belle/Aden or Sally/Flynn). They have tried to sell VJ/Billie and Matt/Evie as these forever couples, but while both had a potential, I feel they were never developed in a way that made me think of them as super couples. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, Angelica said:

They have tried to sell VJ/Billie and Matt/Evie as these forever couples, but while both had a potential, I feel they were never developed in a way that made me think of them as super couples. 

I love both Matt and Evie are they are a cute couple, but sometimes I feel like the writers just threw them together to "kill two birds with one stone" and write them out together. 

Archived