Things Neighbours can get Away with that H&A can't

project90

1 hour ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Before I get accused of going off topic, Neighbours vs H&A is so much like Corrie vs EastEnders.

I wholeheartedly agree about H&A not being allowed to be as slow as Neighbours.

To be fair (possibly with the exception of the first 2 months or so, from bits I've seen) H&A has always been faster paced and more drama-fueled than Neighbours, and I used to think it was a good thing, until they went too far. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Summer Bay could now easily be set in a rough Sydney suburb rather than a small coastal town accessed by dirt tracks. Neighbours seems to get away with more everyday stuff such as relationship ups and down, the Cannings sipping sangria around the pool, Sheila gossiping and any instances of crime being corporate business crime, fraud mainly, whereas H&A feels the need to show almost every episode with someone in a critical condition, an explosion, car crash or drugs raid with machine guns.

H&A was once superior to Neighbours but the opposite is true now.

Yes Yet who gets the ratings and PR

11 hours ago, project90 said:

Really wasn't sure what to name this topic but I have seen in other topics discussion of how Home and Away is never going to have a mainstay gay character. Neighbours has had at least one for 6 years (a lot of the time two plus recurring gay guest characters ). I don't get how it would be an issue if Home and Away had one too. But then H&A has hit some pretty big topics like SIDS, rape, suicide and abortion. Things, as far as I know, Neighbours has never done. I know they are two different shows but they do run in the same theme and in the same time slot so why is it ok for one show and not the other? 

How different would PLEASE LIKE ME been had the series been set in Sydney area rather than Melbounre. H&A seems more action packed and Violent compared to Ramsey Street,

Foolishness like Costume/Superhero days, Karl's bad singing (Fletcher can actually sing moderately well, He does a Mean "I predict a riot!) , Blue Box Innuendo, Toadie Wrestling, Sausage double-entendres, Ridiculous-ass cameos.

But I love it. It's always helped me "Come down" after School and Work.

In Thursday's Neighbours a (was it a lawn mower or something) rolled into the lake in a hilarious storyline and Tyler fixed it. In H&A a lawn mower thingy rolling into a lake would result in it detonating a hidden mine or unexploded war bomb, causing a huge explosion blowing up half the lake and leaving many critically ill and/or dead.

Neighbours can get away with comedy as well as everyday stuff.

25 minutes ago, Shannon Found Skeletons said:

You're forgetting only guest characters/extras would die. Main characters would be "critically ill", possibly told they might not walk again, and then be out surfing 2 days later.

Yes I wished CH 10 had let Neighbours kill someone off as planned yet back out to keep the door open for a return,

17 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

In Thursday's Neighbours a (was it a lawn mower or something) rolled into the lake in a hilarious storyline and Tyler fixed it. In H&A a lawn mower thingy rolling into a lake would result in it detonating a hidden mine or unexploded war bomb, causing a huge explosion blowing up half the lake and leaving many critically ill and/or dead.

Neighbours can get away with comedy as well as everyday stuff.

That what I miss the most from the old home and away. There's no comedy in it really at all now. 

Just now, Blaxland 89 said:

That what I miss the most from the old home and away. There's no comedy in it really at all now. 

But then aren't so many good character actors like there used to be, 

4 hours ago, Shannon Found Skeletons said:

I don't know what you're talking about but I was referring to Home and Away.

Yes Both show had planned to kill characters off only to have other writers decide at the last moment to save them for future returns happens all the time. Most of the time a character wants to leave they like Kate on Neighbours ask to. Plus you DO Not kill of a regular unless its because of end of contract or personal reasons.

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

But then aren't so many good character actors like there used to be, 

That is so true

Archived