2017 has been great so far

Skylover

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gerard said:

The series is still a long way off H&A at its best, but it's a big improvement on where things were a few years ago.

It still feels like there is an imbalance where some characters get more of the limelight than others though.

H&A has to be at its most boring in years!

It started getting boring around Matt departure.

That's been the problem with H&A over the past years. To retain viewers it had to up the ante with the Braxtons & co where it was relentless shootings, explostions, stalkers and lives in the balance. (I'm exaggerating maybe a little, but barely a week went by when someone wasn't either in hospital or at the police station). Obviously some viewers couldn't get enough of all the action, and it was exciting for a while, but it was unsustainable in the long term. Trouble is that anything less dramatic is seen as boring, and the series has been going around in circles for a while.

I'm glad to see the show is less overdramatic and there's a bit more humour in it these days, but it's still far from perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad we've seen more balance in the series recently, with the older cast getting more scenes, and some more humour and less life-or-death drama. I think the Astonis are a good addition to the cast and bring some humour and normality with them so far. But there is always danger lurking around the corner, as currently there are at least two "villain" storylines going on. Reading ahead on this site, it does worry me that we're about to take a big step backwards, but the series is just about balancing out the light and the dark at the moment.

I was so relived when Louise Bowes was leaving, it was like the monster boss announcing his transfer or retirement and then  a huge blow as a year or 2 down the line they are said to be coming back. Should have been Bevan Lee instead of her. The show has been very watchable for me in the past year or so and it seems great that the old school fans seem to be happier with the show again instead of it being a Blue Heelers/All Saints rolled into one continuation.

Neighbours also strayed very far from its roots during the Fun Bus era so H&A is not the only Aussie soap that has been guilty of neglecting its roots.

8 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Neighbours also strayed very far from its roots during the Fun Bus era so H&A is not the only Aussie soap that has been guilty of neglecting its roots.

Neighbours has strayed from its roots a few times. FunBus was the worst, and then there was the Susan Bower era. But since then the show has turned itself around and had a few years of relative "nomality" where it feels more like the classic show than it has done for a while. H&A's Braxton-led FunBus was a lot more recent and hasn't really turned itself around in the same way so far. It still feels like the FunBus is only one or two stops down the road :) and classic H&A is a distant memory.

H&A used to be amazing at acknowledging its history and Neighbours was pretty poor at it, but over the past few years I would say the tables have turned.

The 30th anniversary (as discussed elsewhere) is the perfect opportunity to get H&A into great shape. It seemed like it was headed that way, but I'm not so sure now. It will be interesting to see what happens on screen over the next 6 months,

15 hours ago, Gerard said:

Neighbours has strayed from its roots a few times. FunBus was the worst, and then there was the Susan Bower era. But since then the show has turned itself around and had a few years of relative "nomality" where it feels more like the classic show than it has done for a while. H&A's Braxton-led FunBus was a lot more recent and hasn't really turned itself around in the same way so far. It still feels like the FunBus is only one or two stops down the road :) and classic H&A is a distant memory.

H&A used to be amazing at acknowledging its history and Neighbours was pretty poor at it, but over the past few years I would say the tables have turned.

The 30th anniversary (as discussed elsewhere) is the perfect opportunity to get H&A into great shape. It seemed like it was headed that way, but I'm not so sure now. It will be interesting to see what happens on screen over the next 6 months,

I also think that while the current crime stories of the "H&A FunBus" era are drawing in the viewers then TPTB dont feel the need to change anything so unlike Neighbours, I doubt that the current format of H&A will change anytime soon. The show has improved somewhat but the crime element is still very much there. The Morgans are very similar to the Braxtons in many ways. Yes, it does seem that the early years of H&A are just a very distant and hazy memory to the current TPTB and the 30th may just be treated as another day to them and pass by unnoticed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2017 at 3:53 PM, Homeandawayfan. said:

I also think that while the current crime stories of the "H&A FunBus" era are drawing in the viewers then TPTB dont feel the need to change anything so unlike Neighbours, I doubt that the current format of H&A will change anytime soon. The show has improved somewhat but the crime element is still very much there. The Morgans are very similar to the Braxtons in many ways. Yes, it does seem that the early years of H&A are just a very distant and hazy memory to the current TPTB and the 30th may just be treated as another day to them and pass by unnoticed.

I would agree, if the current formula of crime and lives-constantly-in-danger works for the ratings, then TPTB have no need to change course. They're not going to risk a drop in audience figures.

Having said that, I think since the Braxtons & associates have departed, some of the old sidelined cast (namely anyone over 40) have come back to the forefront, and the show is a lot better for that. It's as if they realised the crime aspect was dominating too much and alienating some viewers, so they have tried to balance it more.

Sometimes the Morgans do feel a bit like Braxtons Mark II, but I think the characters are a bit more balanced, and normal. Certainly Tori and Mason are far from criminals. Brodie and Justin are like softer versions of Heath and Brax respectively. But it feels more like they just happen to stray into criminal scenarios, rather than are the instigators. (Although Ash is more like the "spirit of Brax").

I sort of hope the 30th is just swept under the carpet. It's possible they could invent some celebration and bring back classic characters and pretend like it's the 90's again for a few days. Perhaps they could even just have an episode with Alf reminscing over the past 30 years? I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Archived