2017 has been great so far

Skylover

3 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

H&A seems to be drifting back towards its roots a bit. 2017 has been the first good year so far for a long while. A lot of the storytelling is probably down to the writing team and script editors, not just Lucy, John and Julie.

My advice would be to them and others is do not fix what not broken. Try to keep people and go back to the show roots! as you said.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is obviously just a continuation of the other infamous one that was closed a while back.  And the cynic in me suspects that this will probably end up being a carbon copy of that thread.

With regards to the subject at hand I have to respectfully disagree.  I don't think it's been great at all.  This storyline with Luc is dreadful and has brought out the worst in all the characters involved including Ash and VJ.  I've found both Leah and Irene at times completely unlikable.  Irene's whole attitude towards Luc i.e. wanting Luc all to herself because of her own failings as a parent has made my blood boil.  Leah has also been so focused on Luc that she's treated Zac like crap to the point where I can see exactly why he cheated on her.  And in some respect I can actually sympathise with him even though I thought it was ridiculous they got married so soon and he cheated on her like that.   Ash just goes around shouting at everyone taking the moral highground ignoring his own faults.  And VJ has actually gotten violent with John, Zac and even Luc.  Even when they had the mediation session the way they all turned on each other and were prepared to screw one another over just made me laugh - Is this what Billie would have wanted?

Whilst I don't mind the Tori, Brody and Raffy as individual characters collectively I think all of the Morgans are just dreadful.  They are like a pack of wolves.  I hate the way they group together whenever there is something going on.  It just annoys me.  I don't like how patronising they are towards Raffy.  They wanted to go out of their way to make her one of their own but whenever there is something major going on they exclude her and just make up some nonsense because she's too young to be told and understand the truth even though she appears to be a very bright kid.

It's ridiculous that Kat is back at the police force and that despite the fact that during her three month probation where she was forbidden to be involved with him (even though she was) she is now cohabiting with Ash and will be helping to bring up his niece.  What does McCarthy make of this and her credibility as a police officer?

I like Olivia and Hunter as individual characters but am not so keen on them as a couple although I will say since they've gotten back together they aren't as bad as what I thought they would be although every time they are together I keep thinking this is the calm before the storm.

Don't even know what to make of Roo being pregnant but as it's only been a couple of episodes, I'll reserve judgement for now.

Slade I couldn't disagree with you more!! The only part I do agree with is Leah treating Zac like crap.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

This thread is obviously just a continuation of the other infamous one that was closed a while back.  And the cynic in me suspects that this will probably end up being a carbon copy of that thread.

Hopefully not, the reason I opened this thread is because I feel the show deserves positive feedback when people are enjoying it and I am enjoying it at the moment and wanted to let that be known after being negative about it for so long.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

Irene's whole attitude towards Luc i.e. wanting Luc all to herself because of her own failings as a parent has made my blood boil.

I don't think Irene has done/is doing that. She wants to be there for Luc because VJ let's face it is too young to be a lone parent and Leah and VJ were struggling, plus the fact she wants to keep Luc away from Ash which truth be told is the best thing for her, he's an ex crim with some deluded belief that he can cope with a baby when he's the least qualified for the job. I love the way the storyline has cleverly brought together a lot of key H&A characters like Irene and Leah, with Marilyn and Roo there as supporting characters. I do think Leah was unlikeable before Zac cheated on her but since he cheated on her I feel she's gone back to being her likeable self but there has been a lot of believable conflict going on between Irene and Leah which I think there would be given the situation.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

And VJ has actually gotten violent with John, Zac and even Luc.

Not that I advocate violence but you expect VJ not to be violent to the man who was causing homocidal bushfires and his cheating step-dad?? Plus like I said before he's too young to be looking after Luc and good on the show for depicting the struggles of being a young dad. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. All these characters are human and are having human struggles. This is what I've been wanting the show to do for years.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

Even when they had the mediation session the way they all turned on each other and were prepared to screw one another over just made me laugh - Is this what Billie would have wanted?

They weren't all trying to screw each other over - possibly with the exception of Ash, whose whole character is based on hotheadedness, impulsiveness and barbarity. I still find him entertaining nonetheless. The other characters weren't prepared to screw each other over - the family officer picked up on Irene's vibes and when pushed, VJ was the one who admitted that he shook the cot.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

Whilst I don't mind the Tori, Brody and Raffy as individual characters collectively I think all of the Morgans are just dreadful.  They are like a pack of wolves.  I hate the way they group together whenever there is something going on.  It just annoys me.  I don't like how patronising they are towards Raffy.  They wanted to go out of their way to make her one of their own but whenever there is something major going on they exclude her and just make up some nonsense because she's too young to be told and understand the truth even though she appears to be a very bright kid.

Wow. So normal families aren't entertaining anymore? I think the Morgans are great and now the chains of the suffocating witness protection story have been removed they are really flourishing. They're the kind of family which would be very successful in Neighbours, perhaps Home and Away fans aren't accustomed to normal characterisation anymore? As for Raffy, they're just looking out for her. Maybe they should start pimping her out or something to be in line with modern H&A :P 

1 hour ago, Slade said:

I like Olivia and Hunter as individual characters but am not so keen on them as a couple although I will say since they've gotten back together they aren't as bad as what I thought they would be although every time they are together I keep thinking this is the calm before the storm.

Olivia and Hunter are the best and hottest couple on the show IMO, Hunter is the best! Love him and her. And I love how similar she is to Chloe.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

Don't even know what to make of Roo being pregnant but as it's only been a couple of episodes, I'll reserve judgement for now.

Love this story - we're hearing Roo talk about her past and Martha and her regrets about never being able to be a good mother - I had reservations about this story but I think it's working brilliantly and bringing some great drama for someone who has been ignored and sidelined for far too long.

I am massively impressed that Roo, Leah, Irene and Marilyn are no longer talking extras in the Diner. They are having their own dramas and bloody good dramas at that. This is the H&A I've been longing for so I hope it stays like this.

7 hours ago, Skylover said:

Slade I couldn't disagree with you more!!

You don't say!!

Hopefully not, the reason I opened this thread is because I feel the show deserves positive feedback when people are enjoying it and I am enjoying it at the moment and wanted to let that be known after being negative about it for so long.

Right so if the other thread was still open would this thread even exist?  Also for every action there is going to be an equal and opposite reaction so if you open a thread saying the shows positive that is just your opinion and there's going to be someone who feels differently case in hand.

I don't think Irene has done/is doing that. She wants to be there for Luc because VJ let's face it is too young to be a lone parent and Leah and VJ were struggling, plus the fact she wants to keep Luc away from Ash which truth be told is the best thing for her, he's an ex crim with some deluded belief that he can cope with a baby when he's the least qualified for the job. I love the way the storyline has cleverly brought together a lot of key H&A characters like Irene and Leah, with Marilyn and Roo there as supporting characters. I do think Leah was unlikeable before Zac cheated on her but since he cheated on her I feel she's gone back to being her likeable self but there has been a lot of believable conflict going on between Irene and Leah which I think there would be given the situation.

Irene deliberately made out to VJ and Leah that looking after Luc was a temporary thing but when the subject was brought up she made a comment to someone else suggesting otherwise.  She didn't want Ash near Luc not because he was a criminal and she was worried about what would happen to Luc if he was looking after her but because she perceived him as a threat being a blood relative to Luc and possibly having legal rights - And given that he got custody she was right in that respect.  BTW - I even said in the UK thread that Ash shouldn't be looking after her and that he would struggle and it would affect his relationship with Kat.  It was clear from the way Irene redecorated the room just for Luc and how clingy she was that she was compensating  for Mick.  A combination of the fact that she didn't bring Mick up and that she spawned a rapist who attacked Billie so perhaps part guilt.

Not that I advocate violence but you expect VJ not to be violent to the man who was causing homocidal bushfires and his cheating step-dad?? Plus like I said before he's too young to be looking after Luc and good on the show for depicting the struggles of being a young dad. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. All these characters are human and are having human struggles. This is what I've been wanting the show to do for years.

General rule of the thumb: anytime someone makes a statement such as I don't condone/advocate XXXX and follows up with the word 'but', ignore what they said previously - again case in hand.  Regardless if it had just been John I wouldn't have minded but I mentioned Zac and Luc to highlight that it wasn't just a one off.  If we take the argument that John actually accelerated Billie's death I still feel the best course of action would be non-aggression and no I wasn't expecting him to be violent with Zac.  Why should I expect him to be violent?  Leah has raised him pretty well.  I don't like this storyline partly because of what it's done to VJ and it follows on from Billie manipulating him and lying to him for months and he's now in a situation where all he's thinking about is Luc (which is essentially the last remnant he has of Billie) so Ash taking her is like him losing Billie forever and I personally think (and would prefer) if he had never met her and would have been far better off enjoying life as a kid not bringing one up.

Wow. So normal families aren't entertaining anymore? I think the Morgans are great and now the chains of the suffocating witness protection story have been removed they are really flourishing. They're the kind of family which would be very successful in Neighbours, perhaps Home and Away fans aren't accustomed to normal characterisation anymore? As for Raffy, they're just looking out for her. Maybe they should start pimping her out or something to be in line with modern H&A :P 

Oh don't be so melodramatic!  I never said normal families couldn't be entertaining.  Just that I don't like the Morgans whenever they are all together because I find them really annoying.  I was giving a personal viewpoint - you know one that you have.  I quite liked the family unit with Zac/Leah/VJ/Hunter till Billie came along.  I liked the fact they had moved on from the fire and Leah and VJ forgave Hunter and they were at the Summer Bay house but the problems started once Billie moved in.  Just to give you an example with regards to the Morgans, even yesterday when Brody went to the sink the way Justin had a go at him then within seconds they were all around him (with Ms motormouth Phoebe present) it again annoyed me.  Yes I know they have every reason because he's a drug addict but I personally find them annoying when they are like that.  And even the drug storyline in itself is ridiculous because they lost both of their parents and were in witness protection for years because of drugs.  Just because they are a normal family doesn't mean I have to like them.  And my point about Raffy still stands.  They were annoyed at first when Hope told Raffy not to trust them and they were going out of their way to accept her and to make her feel accepted.  How can she fully expect to be accepted if they aren't honest with her?  By excluding her they are saying that you're not really part of the family or we don't trust you enough.  They even acknowledged this themselves during the whole witness protection thing.  You seem to be under the impression that because I don't share your viewpoint that I must be staunch supporter of the crime element - Something that was so typical of the other thread.  Wrong!  Wasn't particularly keen on that either TBH.  Not everything is black and white.

Olivia and Hunter are the best and hottest couple on the show IMO, Hunter is the best! Love him and her. And I love how similar she is to Chloe.

That is debatable (as for hotness you can argue it is Kat and Ash) and again I even said in my previous post that I liked them as individuals.  Just not together.  Even when they broke up the first time Olivia said they made each other miserable and Hunter seemed to accept this.  When they just got back together Hunter seemed to be going out of his way to be nice to her and it just seemed unnatural to me.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt but I'm not expecting much and do think it will be a case of can't live with each other, can't live without each other.  And it will take more than their hotness for me to be sold on them as a couple.

I am massively impressed that Roo, Leah, Irene and Marilyn are no longer talking extras in the Diner. They are having their own dramas and bloody good dramas at that. This is the H&A I've been longing for so I hope it stays like this.

Well given that she's been constantly involved in everybody's business since she got back perhaps this may be a good thing so she can actually focus on herself.

12 hours ago, Slade said:

This thread is as far from what you think as possible. Totally opposite to your statement.

I just saw the scene where

Irene and Leah have lunch with Roo and Marilyn at Marilyn's place. Wow, what a powerful couple of scenes. I don't remember being as moved by Home and Away scenes since Sally's departure in 2008. Brilliant acting and brilliant writing, with a fantastic theme of damaged friendship.

I agree. The show, the storylines, and the characters all are very strong at the moment and actually it's a breath of fresh air and reminds me why I love the show. The fact that the oldies are centre stage is great, although this can't last forerver, but it gets us talking about them again. (Irene is unlikeable, Leah's a boy of a pain etc etc) 

i can feel this year is going to continue like that, as we build upto the 30th anniversary. 

Even family members who casually watch when I've got it on are commenting on the stories and saying how good it is at the moment 

Archived