When did you begin watching H&A and what changed you from becoming a casual to full-time viewer?

CaptainTed84

We are all a part of this site because we enjoy watching and love to talk about Home and Away and I want to know a bit of background behind when you started watching and how you became "hooked", and also whether you were a casual viewer at first and then became a big fan

My story:

I was at quite a young age when I started watching Home and Away so I don't specifically remember exactly when I started watching the show but I believe that it was in mid-2005 as after rewatching the early episodes of the Holden family, it brought back memories so it would have been roughly around then. I started watching because it was on every night in my house so it just became a tradition. I believe that I carried on this tradition every night that I was able to watch it until early 2008. I specifically remember that there was a period of time where I definitely didn't watch the show, which I believe was when Nicole first arrived. I think that after a week of her character I really wasn't enjoying it, so I stopped watching until I heard that the Buckton's were arriving and then later on I remembered Angelo's first I watched it for the rest of that year where I saw the sad end to Jack Holden's time on the show. What's crazy about this is that I thought Jack was a pretty cool character, but not a favourite, however it wasn't until he died that I realised how much I did like him. Which I believe is what caused me to stop watching as regularly as I did at the beginning of 2009, because like everyone I disliked Angelo for it and when the Austin's arrived I only liked xavier so I pretty much stopped watching regularly for ages and became a casual/cameo viewer for the next few years.

What I do remember watching briefly from 2009-2011 was most of Trey's storyline, Jai getting shot, Dex and Indi's first arrival (thought they were pretty boring at first) Jai and Annie leaving, Geoff leaving, Liam and Ruby's music storyline, Penn and the murder investigation, a brief bit of the Braxton intro and Charlie's death (which made me very sad actually despite being a casual viewer since her and Ruby were favourites when I did watch). It wasn't until when Jett arrived where I started to watch a bit more regularly. To me, Jett was like a breath of fresh air when he arrived in terms of what he could bring to the table as a character, because it gave VJ a friend (who I had liked previously and really wanted to have more screentime) and also gave the show another foster child so I was happy about his addition. I remember for the next year whenever I saw an episode with Jett in it I would watch it and if he wasn't in it I probably would.

It was then in 2013, when it had been revealed that Gina, Romeo, Liam and then later the Walker clan were leaving that year (who from a casual perspective, aside from Gina who I thought was okay, I liked all of them) so I decided to watch as much as I possibly could of their final days as possible as well as Jett and then whilst watching these characters I began to naturally like others and then became hooked to the show from then until 7 months into 2014. I remember I stopped watching for almost a year when Heath left and then Casey died because although I did like other characters alot (Kyle, Phoebe, Jett, Matt etc.) I wasn't a fan of the current storylines, and then became a casual viewer until I found out that Jett was leaving which definitely made me sad since he was a favourite, so then from after he left I decided that I really didn't want to miss it again and decided to become a regular viewer from then on.

Throughout the break between 2015 and 2016, because of me watching the show regularly again, it made me remember when I first started watching and how much I loved one character in particular which was Ruby, since I started having flashbacks of when she was on and how little I saw of her but how much I appreciated it. So I decided throughout the break that I would try and watch as many episodes from the chunks of time in which I wasn't a regular viewer. I had so much fun re-watching those episodes from mid-2008-2012 and had a massive nostalgia attack at first, because I had forgotten about so many characters including Tony Holden, who I didn't even remember existed despite me remembering every other character associated to him before the rewatch and I had also forgotten how cool Miles was. After doing the re-watch I really became the big fan that I am now, and I haven't missed an episode since 2015 because of it

That's my story, what's yours?   

Similar to you, I have some hazy early memories when I was young around 97-98. I remember the iconic red Home and away arrrow sign in the beach on the opening titles. Similar thing, it was on everyday and grew up with it. I remember watching religiously after the gap between ITV and Channel 5 and I was slightly older then and was watching my own TV in my bedroom. I watched solid for years until around 2009 when I became casual as I was at uni and was out and busy all the time. I even stopped watching for about 8-12 months and I had to YouTube what I had lost. Picked back up towards end of 2010 and have been religiously watching again since. I've invested some hours!! Haha. I'm sure others here have more. I have also over time watched back most of the early 90s and the first year or two. (Just for fun as you do)

thats my story :)

I started watching randomly in 2008 when I had been interested in the soap genera and talking to a friend who lived in Australia about the shows airing there. She said she wasn't a big fan of Home and Away but loved Neighbours, so of course I sampled both. Home and Away for some reason just hooked me. I fell instantly in love. Watched daily and was a huge fan in 08-10, but as time went on I really just kinda got busy and fell out of it, I haven't really been a daily viewer since '12, but I do plan on geting back into things. I loved getting to watch the early years and hope to one day say that I've watched every episode of H&A. 

Mistaken thread. Original content removed

Anyhow I began watching during the 1992 Season (aired here 1993) during the Sophie pregnancy arc and decided to stick with it. I was rooting for Damo to stand up to Tug and laughed when Blake and Simon nearly dunked the Tugster in the loo!

I started watching in late 1995 when Norwegian TV channel TV2 started airing it, The episodes were from late 1994, when Shannon and Curtis arrived. I became a full time viewer a couple of months later from the Christmas episodes from 1994 were aired. I watched it regularly till 2006 (Sarah Lewis episodes from 2004 were shown then), and then I watched it off an on till 2008 when I once again became a regular viewer. Then from 2010-2013 it was a bit off an on again. From 2013 I have been quite a regular viewer. 

Since the Early Years started airing I have enjoyed watching the periode 1990 (from Blake arrived) until the end of 1994. I have seen all of those episodes.

Shane and Damian saw Ryan and Loo kissing. Shane started a vendetta campaign against Ryan which culminated in him stealing his car and dumping it in the ocean. It was all in the name of sticking up for his brother. Why Ryan was the target and not Loo, doesn't quite make sense. She was the one 2-timing Nick. Ryan was just "the other one". Meanwhile, Sophie, who got herself up the duff and threw her future away, was getting sexually harassed at work by her boss Mr Colin Smithers. Shane is charged over the theft and destruction of Ryan's car, and in the following months finds himself in trouble with the law once again (but this time he is innocent) and at the end of 1992 goes to jail. It isn't until January 1993 we see Shane finally being cleared.

Anyway, that is how I became hooked.

Archived