Which teens would you have like to seen as long-term adult characters?

adam436

19 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Alison Patterson. She was in her late teens in 1988. One of the best ever characters who should have been a regular and been the Tracy Barlow/Janine Butcher of the show as she got into her 20s and 30s.

I agree. Alison was too much of a good character to lose so soon. Can just hear some of the cutting remarks she would have made to Irene during her early years. "Is that hair your natural colour or did all the grog turn it that way?" And I think Janine is a great comparison. Queen of the bay one minute and then in the gutter the next. And Vinnie would have been so embarrassed of her.  

To be honest, I don't think it should be a goal to make teens (or others) into long term characters. I don't understand why that is so important by many fans. Many years ago, I used to think the same, that characters should stay for many, many years but now I don't think so at all. The characters that have impressed be most, and the characters I have invested most in have just lastet 1-3 years. Some of them should probably have stayed a bit longer, but I see that many characters that have been for more than 2 1/2 - 3 years mostly are getting repetitive and their storylines are going in circles, and their personality are totally changed into the unrecognisable. 

But sometimes I think that some of the characters could have stayed a bit longer, until they were finished with UNI or other things, if we were get to see their career choice and other storylines than this "teenage swapping boy/girlfriend- thing". Some of the characters in the later years have started uni, but I feel that they focused too hard on the romance storylines and the natural development was forgotten about. Look at Nicole for example, she had some great career ideas, but the writers kept giving her storylines about maniac boyfriends and  after a little character development in 2008 and 2009 they totally threw it away. And her career was forgotten about. 

When storylines are revolving about their relationships and breaking off and coming back together, I rather see that they are written out after a couple of years. Life is more than about finding new boyfriends or girlfriends all the time. And it doesn't help to keep them together as they did with Romeo and Indi (until the end), when they are keeping betraying each other  and other characters and using everyone around them just to prove that they haven't done anything wrong. It wasn't realistic (because someone should have put them in place), and it certainly wasn't a pleasure to watch. 

I have actually more adult characters I would have liked to stay longer, like Shelley, Joel, Rhys and Beth. And I also think that Dr. Walker should have stayed a bit longer too. 

But I think that Jett should have finished high school before he left, but that army storyline didn't feel realistic for him. Jett wasn't an army type. But there have been several young characters that have been in the show for only 2 years, and some of them should have stayed a bit longer. And I think that Belle probably should have stayed much longer. It was something with her, she would probably have suited as a long time character. Maybe Annie should have stayed longer too, but I am not quite sure because they really destroyed her character by the end. 

Although I never saw his character and heard he basicaly didn't do anything in a year, i think Henry Hunter would have been interesting to see as an adult just because he may have grown if we were able to see how he dealt with the family drama which occured while he was gone from the show. Also would have been nice to see him interact with Lucas, Belle etc. who he never met

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2017 at 04:48, Blaxland 89 said:

I'm tempted to say Curtis. Would have been cool to see him out of school. At least for a while

He probably would have been a lifeguard

On 6/6/2017 at 12:54, Homeandawayfan. said:

Lyn Davenport.

Probably would have been active in the local Catholic church (The one she and the Barlows attended) with their youth meetings or whatever

On 6/5/2017 at 01:21, dee123 said:

Jett, Jett, Jett. Screw how silly it looked when he was around VJ. Will McDonald is by far the better actor than Matt Little is anyway.

I've since swallowed my distaste for Matt in the role. He has now weathered in the role, you even get clownish moments akin to Ryan K/Vinnie Sr at times.

On 6/3/2017 at 07:29, Blaxland 89 said:

Casey Mitchel? Was surprised she left with a year of school to go. 

Well, she did go to live with her Dad in the U.S. and probably finished school over there.

Archived