Cast members who left before their contract was up?

Homeandawayfan.

I am sure H&A must have had cast members who signed a long term contract but left earlier. I did read that soap contracts are written in a way that actors can be written out at short notice, this was read in James Oram's Neighbours book from 1988.

Nicola Quilter joined H&A in 1994 but left after just 7 months. I wonder if did she originally sign a longer term contract and was written out at short notice or was it just a 6 month contract initially???

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhys Wakefield and Lincoln Lewis I believe. Just because both were around for roughly the same amount of time (in character duration) and both left to do films I am pretty sure.

Jordan Rodriguez was only around for just over a year and considering Rebecca Breeds who joined shortly after him stayed for 4 years I'm led to believe that Jai left with quite a while to go on his contract.

Jessica Grace Smith I believe was axed, however I'm unaware of how long her contract would have been so she could have left the show earlier than the contract said

I also started a thread some time ago about which characters were axed, though that also includes actors who didn't have their contracts renewed as well as those who were written out early.

Here a few I know of:

• Cornelia Frances in 1989 - there is a current discussion about this in the Bayside Diner fourm
  • Dee Smart - I know something went on behind the scenes, but I'm not sure of the details. I've not seen her on Home and Away, but I loved her on Water Rats :)

I suspect something happened with Tobi Atkins too - he left surprising early (compared to the rest of the Hunters and that teen gang) and we only really knew he left because it was mentioned by someone onscreen.

I could also speculate that the "instant" recasts (Natalie Nash, Pippa, Flynn) may have been a result of actors leaving before their contracts were up. I am only assuming though, as given they were recast immediately, the writers didn't have enough time to give them a proper exit. I know in the Pippa situation they didn't want to lose the second central character so soon after Tom, but that still doesn't exclude the possibility that Vanessa left early.

On 16/01/2017 at 6:21 AM, Homeandawayfan. said:

Natalie Nash may have been billed as the new Pippa so that may be why they recast her.

It's a shame that the Nash family disappeared so quickly - Joel and Natale had the potential to be a long-term couple and could have worked well taking in waifs and strays over the years at Summer Bay House. I enjoyed them more than the Rhys and Shelley and even Michael and Pippa #2.

I suspect, given the turnover that occurred around that time, the Nashes and many of the other short-lived regulars from the same era, such as Ken, Peta, Edward and Judith were also written out early to make way for the wave of newbies (the Sutherlands, Noah, Jude and Brodie) that would go on to dominate the early 2000s.

1 hour ago, adam436 said:

It's a shame that the Nash family disappeared so quickly - Joel and Natale had the potential to be a long-term couple and could have worked well taking in waifs and strays over the years at Summer Bay House. I enjoyed them more than the Rhys and Shelley and even Michael and Pippa #2.

I suspect, given the turnover that occurred around that time, the Nashes and many of the other short-lived regulars from the same era, such as Ken, Peta, Edward and Judith were also written out early to make way for the wave of newbies (the Sutherlands, Noah, Jude and Brodie) that would go on to dominate the early 2000s.

Don't Forget Leah and Colleen both become mainstays for next decade.

With Leah working on  beating Sally in episodes and you know with Sally appearing when she kid and times when we didit see her on weeks on end it feels like Leah appear more episodes due to  appearing since she was adult.

1 hour ago, j.laur5 said:

Don't Forget Leah and Colleen both become mainstays for next decade.

With Leah working on  beating Sally in episodes and you know with Sally appearing when she kid and times when we didit see her on weeks on end it feels like Leah appear more episodes due to  appearing since she was adult.

It is a shame though, as Leah doesnt have the "iconic" status to her as what Sally does.

Archived