Interviews

Skylover

I don't understand the snobbery towards soaps. People have told me I should be watching American shows instead but I'd rather not.

The lady who played Roxy in H&A was really slating the show in that interview, kinda awkward considering she had probably only just left.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

The lady who played Roxy in H&A was really slating the show in that interview, kinda awkward considering she had probably only just left.

There was a bit of friction where she actually wanted to leave H&A early but the producers asked her to see out her contract, which will probably go some way to explain the interviews with her at the time which had a bit of a negative spin. She did say she was thankful for the knowledge of the industry and the 'high profile' the show gave her, but that she would never work in a soap again.

Thanks for the info. I rarely liked Roxy in all honesty. The 20-something characters at the time were worse-written than the teens and older adults at the time IMO, perhaps this explains why she felt that way. I got a similar vibe from the Lucinda actress.

Just found this interview with Rebekah Elmaloglou from around 1996 on a UK talkshow. It starts at 27 minutes in.

2 hours ago, Dan F said:

There was a bit of friction where she actually wanted to leave H&A early but the producers asked her to see out her contract, which will probably go some way to explain the interviews with her at the time which had a bit of a negative spin. She did say she was thankful for the knowledge of the industry and the 'high profile' the show gave her, but that she would never work in a soap again.

To be fair I agreed with a lot of what she was saying about the Australian soaps "skimming" over issues. You have an AIDs scare, and then everthing's fine, or you decide you want your baby back at the 11th hour, and then everything's fine. It can be frustrating when "issues" aren't followed through to their full potential. But on the other hand, I get that it's a soap, not a docu-drama.

I agree with Edward Skylover too. The 20-somethings on the show in the early 90s (Lucinda, Nick, Roxy, Luke etc) were the weak points of the show, so I'm not surprised if Lisa Lackey was frustrated with the role she played. I remember Nick in particular did virtually NOTHING after Lucinda left, other than hang around in Donald's kitchen telling Shane to behave himself.

I've wondered why the 20-something characters were so badly written. I think it's a sign of the times. Back then it seemed like as soon as you hit your 20's you were supposed to be a mature, role model rather than a realistic young adult and that probably influenced the way they approached the writing of those characters.

I even think Shane and Angel seem more like a 30-odd year old couple rather than the 19 year olds that they are! Having said that they have just been through way more in the last 6 months than most people go through in an entire lifetime haha

49 minutes ago, alexx said:

I even think Shane and Angel seem more like a 30-odd year old couple rather than the 19 year olds that they are! Having said that they have just been through way more in the last 6 months than most people go through in an entire lifetime haha

Shane and Angel feel like they've been on the show for 10 years, not 2 and 3 years respectively! I prefer the way they're written over the characters who have been introduced to the show as 20-somethings though.

Archived