Interviews

Skylover

I know there's an interview with all the original cast 'Where are they now' type of thing but I was wondering if there were any interviews from around 1988-2000 with any of the early cast on YouTube. I wanted to see some with perhaps Vanessa Downing but I can't find any old ones from the time :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This interview seems to be loads of actors just slating Australian soaps. Weird.

However, Tina Thomsen and Kate Ritchie both said they were proud of their storylines where Finlay took uppers (and the effects from then) and Sally first wore a bra.

Homeandawayfan., do you know of any other interviews on YouTube from the early years? I realised that I actually missed Sophie when I saw Rebekah on there :huh:

6 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

This interview seems to be loads of actors just slating Australian soaps. Weird.

However, Tina Thomsen and Kate Ritchie both said they were proud of their storylines where Finlay took uppers (and the effects from then) and Sally first wore a bra.

Homeandawayfan., do you know of any other interviews on YouTube from the early years? I realised that I actually missed Sophie when I saw Rebekah on there :huh:

Cannot say I have come across any. I think they did have the 2000th episode documentary from 1996 on there but I think the uploader took it down, maybe because of that irritating thing called copyright.

14 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

What do you mean? :D

Some Australian's, particularly in the TV and film industry (and more so in the 80's/90's) cringe at the Australian culture because they're not confident, or uncertain about the Australian identity. In the entertainment industry a lot of actors back then dismissed what was being produced in Australia because they wanted to seem 'above' it (that's how I viewed the situation) for whatever reason, so instead of being proud they just highlighted negative points.

Basically it's a lack of confidence, perhaps a lack of appreciation and a 'rolling of the eyes' because they feel inferior compared to other cultures, which I find embarrassing. Melissa George is probably the most famous for seeming to have a severe 'cultural cringe' moment when it comes to H&A/Australia. It's also probably because back then there was a lot of snobbery about 'soaps' from theatre and film actors. Plus on a cultural level there's a sense that other cultures just view Australian's as a load of 'convicts' which adds to the inferiority complex.

34 minutes ago, alexx said:

It's also probably because back then there was a lot of snobbery about 'soaps' from theatre and film actors.

Surely that snobbery towards Australian soaps must have subsided a little now that Neighbours and H&A have lasted 31 and 28 years each, so far?

Archived