Would you like to see Home and Away go back to its fostering roots?

adam436

There is a solid group of "senior" characters at the moment that I think it's too big an opportunity to miss! I think it would amazing if these characters were the backbone of the show over the next ten years or so (much like how Pippa, Fisher, Alf and Ailsa, Irene and to an extent, Michael were in the 90s) with all the younger characters coming and going through their households.

I know these characters do, to a large degree, already act as parental figures and offer words of wisdom to the younger characters, but I feel like the same magic isn't there. Perhaps it's because we still have a high number of crime storylines and too many twenty-somethings (I'd happily get rid of a few of them to give John and Marilyn some new charges).

John and Maz need to foster another child, in fact they need to foster 2! Jett ain't coming back so there should be room for 2!

Technically Olivia is a foster child of Irene, and over the last few years we have seen Maddie fostered by Roo and Matt fostered by Leah but I agree there needs to be more. The show is more focused on young adults and families filled with siblings and not mum/dad/kids or foster kids

It's funny because the show used to be heavily focused on teens but these days it seems to be more heavily focused on 20/30-somethings. I wonder why that is. Are teens a less lucrative market than 20-something viewers?

It depends on whether teen characters are still a sensible direction for the show as a product - as if they want to focus on fostering again in a big way it will mean focusing on the teens again.

Many of us want the show to go back to fostering but whether that is truly a sensible and marketable approach for the show to take, is another matter.

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2016 at 7:07 AM, Skylover said:

It's funny because the show used to be heavily focused on teens but these days it seems to be more heavily focused on 20/30-somethings. I wonder why that is. Are teens a less lucrative market than 20-something viewers?

Neighbours is pretty much the same at the moment. They have 3 teens and 8 characters in their 20s/early 30s. 

Archived