Is John Palmer the next Alf Stewart?

Skylover

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love John Palmer when he was with Gina, and I also liked him as Trey's misunderstood stepfather. He is also a good character on his own. But with Marilyn they have moved him away far too much from the one he was when he first appeared. He used to have spark, even with Gina he kept his stubborn ways. I feel John has become Marilyn's "dog", unfortunately, and isn't allowed to shine on his own, and isn't suited to her at all. They are just being stuck in storylines that don't suit him. I loved him with Skye, until she left just to give room for Marilyn when she returned. I think they should have given him an another "girlfriend" and different storylines. Those so called funny storylines, and the endless discussions about nonsense aren't good at all. 

So I will not be disappointed if he left... It would have been better than just using him like they do. The only thing that I like with him is his friendship with Alf, but I think we used to see more of that than we do now. For me it's not about how long the characters stay, but how the writers are using the characters, what kind of development and storylines they give them.

Being on the show for years and years has nothing to do with the quality of the characters. Sometimes I think that some fans think that if the characters have been on the show for years, and are over a certain age they are automatically good. But there are good and bad characters among both newer and the long stay characters. I actually think that some of the long stay and also classic characters should have been axed, they have been going in circles for years, and some of the actors/actresses don't seem very passionate about their characters anymore. And others are difficult to write as older persons.... But I think that is a bigger problem with some of the characters that have stayed since the earlier years... But I really wish they could have used John in a different way, then he could have been the "new Alf" and stayed for years. Now when they have made him Marilyn's dog, I think they will write him out sooner or later, just to give Marilyn more storylines and drama.

15 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I always saw Tom and Alf had very little in common. I think Tom was not as fiery as Alf.

Really? I see Tom as quite fiery, moreso than Michael, but not as much as Alf. Alf really is one of a kind. Not diminishing Tom's memory, he is also a legend ^_^

Archived