ITV no episode days (1988-1993+)

dan

That's TSW for you.

On the Coronation Street citation, yes I can confirm that with Corrie and Emmerdale the shows were repeated the lunchtime their next evening episode was due to air.  I believe this was networked at 12:55 with the entire network showing H&A at 13:25.

Monday: Corrie's Friday episode
Tuesday: Emmer's Thursday episode
Wednesday: Corrie's Monday episode
Thursday: Emmer's Tuesday episode
Friday: Corrie's Wednesday episode

So there's no way that clip was recorded on a Thursday.  The only time this pattern broke was during Emmerdale's plane crash - they had an extra episode on Wednesday that week so an extra repeat aired at 13:55 after H&A to keep up.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressed by the research guys... and certainly for the very early years, it coincides with my memory. On Bank Holidays, episodes were shown as normal until the mid 90s. 

James is correct about the Coronation Street and Emmerdale repeats, though it's worth noting that the times of the broadcasts varied between regions, as they did with H&A. Some regions showed the lunchtime H&A before Corrie/Emmerdale, others after it. 

So, is the H&A TX list now confirmed, or are there still queries?

You're right they did - well, eventually.  It started out as a network affair in September 1993 (Families got axed to make way for the Corrie/Emmers repeats) but the lunchtime repeats got dropped region by region.  Granada owned regions held on the longest of course!

It's also worth noting that after the Channel 5 deal was done, some regions - I think those owned by Granada - dropped the lunchtime showing.

Also, as it's well known ITV edited the show heavily but there were occasions of regional re-editing.  One of these was an occasion in 1998 where a World Cup match going to extra time forced a networked evening showing at 5:30pm - so Central viewers expecting it at 6pm would have missed it for example.  On this occasion some material was cut to shoehorn in an extended recap on Central, but Yorkshire (on at 5:10pm) didn't do this as the audience would have hung on for it.

This was all documented on Home and Away Uncut but only sections exist on the Wayback Machine now!  Bad times.

Ah, memories of my grandparents coming down to stay from Mansfield (Yorkshire) to ours in Leicestershire (Central) and an 8 year old me explaining to them at 5:10pm why Home and Away wasn't on yet.  Hopefully they weren't Sons and Daughters fans when I was younger or non-existent... that would have messed with their heads.

Always been an anorak.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2017 at 7:19 PM, Martin2013 said:

For anyone interested the evening showing of the episode broadcast on Friday 7th May 1999 was seemingly dropped by ITV(or HTV Wales at least) due to extended coverage of an election.

I have the following monday's episode on tape and it starts with an extended recap before the opening titles with a continuity announcer explaining that it is an update "for those viewers who missed friday's episode due to extended election coverage".

Does anyone have any idea if both the evening and lunchtime showing were dropped that day and if all regions dropped the evening showing that day or if it was just HTV?

There was also no ep broadcast on Monday 3rd May 1999(may day bank holiday) but bizzarely HTV still aired Shortland Street that day(I think back then it was shown before H&A). Over the end credits they advised "There's no Home and Away today as its a bank holiday and they're all on the beach"!

Update on this having checked The Guardian archives.

The regional variations show that HTV Wales dropped the lunchtime showing - the entire network schedule from the end of GMTV to the start of CITV was dropped in Wales - but they show the networked evening showing at 17:00.

Also, 3rd July 1998 definitely lost its evening showing, scheduled for 17:30 across the network - the game preceding it that's billed went to penalties and there's no way whatsover they'd have fit it in before going to another knockout match that evening.  It also failed to make the Top 30 as a result.

Archived