Most Popular Character 2016

Dan F

I've just read through a number of the comments about the main cast people who scored no points, and I have to say that the Skye, Viv comparo is a very valid one. Must admit that if Skye was still on the show during the time of this poll, I more than likely would have voted for her.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha! I love the commentary on Aaron Welles. I remember him randomly reappearing in the first episode of 1999 (he was camping with Joey, right? And was he the first to notice Joey's mental illness?)

Natalie, Ken and Mitch are gold as well!

And yes, Brodie is one of the worst characters ever in my opinion. But I didn't realise it was an opinion others shared. I thought Brodie was really popular on this board - I'm basing that on the episode discussion in 2008 when Cassie and Ric were in the city and Ric (while he and Matilda weren't together) flirted with a girl played by Susie Rugg's sister and everyone seemed to want her to be a regular because Brodie was so amazing. I remember this annoying me at the time - but maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly...

When did Seb have an eating disorder? I don't remember that. I know Jade had bulimia in 2001. Was this shared illness used as the catalyst to get them together because that might have made their out-of-nowhere relationship more acceptable...

As for Charlotte, I'll always remember the promo the day before she left: "She's leaving the Bay - but this is a goodbye no-one was expecting..." My brother and I both started laughing - then felt really bad when we saw the episode and she actually did die... But also, apart from that she's not really memorable and I think it's fair she didn't make the most popular list.

I love Bianca's commentary as well! So true!

Thanks so much for doing this, everyone. It was really interesting seeing the results and reading the commentaries!

A big thanks from me to Dan, Chris and Matt: I always think I have the easy bit of just hammering out a few hundred witty comments while they have to do all the fiddly bits of counting votes and making an interesting-looking web page out of them.(I really wouldn't know where to begin...)

5 hours ago, Spinach said:

When did Seb have an eating disorder? I don't remember that. I know Jade had bulimia in 2001. Was this shared illness used as the catalyst to get them together because that might have made their out-of-nowhere relationship more acceptable...

It was 2003, it was sparked off by Kirsty dumping him for Kane right when they were planning to have their first time together, and was indeed used to bring him and Jade together (and have him sleep with her straightaway as if he wanted to get in before they broke up this time...).

Been thinking about Dan's comment on giving your votes to those you think need it rather than the absolute best: I've voted for Don and Alf in the past, and while giving Don a few points wouldn't have made much difference Alf could have been 3rd or 4th with a few more votes.Whereas Sally would have won even without my 5 points!

Also, considering John's comment on Current Show v Early Years: I note that the 3 current characters in the Top 10 are all also appearing in the early years and you've got 2 more early years characters in there, and those are actually the Top 5.Leaving 6-10 to be taken up by characters from other eras, although two of them did appear in the current show this year.

Not that my characters weren't genuine favourites (because every person I voted for is a favourite of mine),but I think that next time round I will vote for more popular characters (to others fans) who I also like. I was the only person who voted for Tony Holden and Xavier Austin and considering they both received 3 and 2 votes from just one person it goes to show that those characters aren't really that popular or memorable, if I didn't vote for them and voted for maybe Matt (as Matt is one of my favourite current characters and also someone who is really popular), he could have made the top 10. If I voted for Heath (who is probably my favourite Braxton, and someone who I really do enjoy) he may have finished a couple of places higher. By the way, all of my votes were genuine but they almost seem like wasted votes as I was the only person who cared enough to vote for 2/5 of my favourites. My voting for next time will definitely be different, and that's not because not every character I voted for was popular but more because there are lots of characters who I really like so choosing the top 5 wasn't easy in the first place. But I think that unless people genuinely love characters and feel they deserve a spot (eg. I personally was quite a fan of the Holden's and Austin's and figured that both Tony and Xavier deserved a spot because I personally thought both characters were underrated), characters that are actually popular and well-known should be the ones receiving votes for this poll. However, you can completely scratch what I've said as the point of the poll is to vote for your personal Top 5, but I reckon that you should keep that in mind especially if you find that you're the only person voting for certain characters. However, in saying that: Jack Holden was once a super popular character but didn't even manage one vote so really it probably doesn't matter what you choose to do at all because I'd say he's a chance of at least receiving one vote next poll purely because he was forgotten about this time and people do consider him a great character (including myself, thought he was well portrayed and was a great character).

But that's just my opinion on this after voting for the first time. Thank you to all the team members who created this, it was so great. I especially loved the mentioning of characters who didn't receive a vote this time (please bring that back next time, we all seem to have loved it). Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Emma, Lucinda, Finlay, Sarah = hot

I have to say I am surprised nobody chose Josh.  I thought he was fairly popular around the forum.  At least enough to get one vote.

Dani was one of the last one of the six I had difficulty choosing.  If it hadn't been for Andy and Sophie I definitely would have picked her.  Despite being a hardcore KK fan she was one of my favourite characters even though I hated her at first.

Perhaps I'm one of the few people who actually liked Brody.  Not enough to ever vote for her of course.

I think the problem with Skye is that she simply wasn't on the show long enough to make an impact.  Although I did think she would probably end up like Melody in terms of popularity for some reason.

I'm so glad nobody chose PC plod.  He came 5th in 2006 and 2008 and 13th in 2010.  So he was a fairly popular character even though I always thought he was absolutely dreadful.

I'm also pleased nobody picked Mason.  Absolutely useless IMO.  Much like his character in Neighbours.  I strongly dislike Brody but at least he actually brings something to the table and is not like watching paint dry.

And there was actually a character called Grant Mitchell!

1 hour ago, Slade said:

I'm so glad nobody chose PC plod.  He came 5th in 2006 and 2008 and 13th in 2010.  So he was a fairly popular character even though I always thought he was absolutely dreadful.

I suppose with him, good looks and the fact that he was a nice guy who would risk his life to protect his loved ones was what would have gained popularity. He wasn't the greatest police officer of all time, but had a good heart (well until it was shot by Angelo it died just like himself), but people would have liked Jack because of his good looks and the fact that he was a nice guy. He will receive votes next time I believe, considering at his prime he was amongst the most popular characters

I really liked Seb, especially when he seemed to drift to Morag for advice. And the friendship with Alf was so beautifully written. 

What messed up the character was turning away from the original plan of him being gay. In 2003/04 not many actors that young were willing to play gay, yet he was. But no, they went the dull route.

Damn, wish I had voted Seb now. 

As for Jack Holden... ha, the great moment was when he got overpowered by psycho!Zoe :lol:. Damn that bitch was fierce!

11 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It was 2003, it was sparked off by Kirsty dumping him for Kane right when they were planning to have their first time together, and was indeed used to bring him and Jade together (and have him sleep with her straightaway as if he wanted to get in before they broke up this time...).

Thanks for answering this. I still don't remember that storyline - but my viewing was always dependent on what time my dad got home from work. He preferred to watch the news...

Archived