The Camping Trip

AtlantaG1912

Title of story: The Camping Trip

Type of Fic: Long Fic

BTTB Rating: T/A

Main Characters: Kyle, Casey, Phoebe, Evelyn, Oscar, Matt, Sasha, Xavier, April, Belle, Aden, Josh, Tamara and Maddy

Genre: Tragedy, Drama and Family, Romance and Adventure, Friendship, Teen, Tragedy, Mystery

Does it contains spoilers: Nah

Warnings: Adult Themes, Violence, Language and not really sure yet Sexual Content

Story beginning read-proofed?: No

Summary: What was meant to be a fun birthday camping trip turned into heartbreak and tragedy. When the teens from Summer Bay decided to go camping, no one expected the trip to take a turn for the worst. Will anyone find them before its to late?

Chapter 0 - Introduction to the characters

This chapter is all about introducing the characters to my piece of fanfiction, some of the characters will be from past years on the show and in some cases I've changed the ages of some characters so they would fit in with the story.

Kyle Braxton – 16 (but turns 17 during the story)

Casey Braxton – 17

Phoebe Nicholson – 17

Evelyn MacGuire – 16

Oscar MacGuire – 16

Matt Page – 17

Sasha Bezmel – 17

Xavier Austin – 16

April Scott – 16

Josh Barrett – 17

Aden Jefferies – 17

Belle Taylor - 16

Tamara Kingsley – 17

Maddy Osborne - 17

I will be adding more characters throughout the story, some will be original characters pulled from my own imagination and other characters will be from the show. The only reason they wont be listed here as they won't be the main characters whereas the ones listed are.

Chapter 1

I can't believe Brax actually agreed to this trip! I mean since they found me 2 years ago in Melbourne (when Brax and Heath tracked me down to help out Casey), Brax has always liked us celebrating birthdays as a family with a BBQ in the backyard. Someone must have said something to make him change his mind but who? It must have been Ricky, she practically has Brax tied round her finger considering me and Casey both asked him repeatedly and he said no every single time. I think I might ask her for tips on how to get Brax to agree to stuff, for example a new guitar.

"Kyle, get in here!" came the voice from the living room, immediately breaking his chain of thought as to what caused this sudden change around with Brax. Kyle got up from his bed, where he had been writing a new song for his girlfriend Phoebe, and followed the voice of his older brother by 2 months.

As soon as Kyle entered the living room, Casey started talking "Kyle, my friend, we have important birthday plans to sort out. As you know Brax would kills us if we didn't plan out this camping trip properly before we left and I know you know that Brax would change his mind given half the chance."

"God Sake, Case! I don't think Brax is going to change his mind now, considering he pretty much has Ricky pulling his string every time he won't let us go and have fun with our mates" Kyle replied

"You think that's why he's changed his mind? You're probably right as usual." Pulling a face while he said it "However, I don't want to give him the chance either, so grab your stuff we're meeting the others at the diner to sort out where we are going to be setting up camp and what we need to take and how we are all getting there in the first place" Casey said in an older brother order type way.

"You're right, I don't want to give him the chance either" Kyle said in agreement.

With that Kyle went back to his room and unplugged his phone and and grabbed his keys. Walking back into the living room he thought to himself this is going to be the best birthday I've had since my mam died. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 2

From behind the bushes a mysterious guy watched, as Casey and Kyle walked away from 'Braxton Manor' (as their neighbour John Palmer calls it) talking and carrying on like they had no care in the world. Suddenly a phone rang...

"What?" said the mysterious guy down the phone. "Yes I've just seen him I tell you something he looks like his mother; you know before you killed her for wanting to turn you into the old bill. Don't worry I won't let him see me and I won't do anything to him. Talk to you later!" with that the line went dead and the mystery guy walked away making sure not to be seen.

"Come on Casey! You were the one who said we had to hurry up and get to the diner and now you're the one who's taking forever." Kyle said to Casey who was currently kneeling on the concrete pavement.

"I know I did but I am allowed to tie my shoelace you know otherwise I would trip over it and injury myself like I always do and also I don't fancy another lecture from Brax like last time when I feel over while playing football with Darcy." Casey replied instantly

"Oh I remember, Brax and Ricky had told you repeatedly to tie them and you didn't listen, so in all fairness that lecture was actually justified and it was funny how when you fell over one of your shoes went flying knocking Brax's beer out of his hand." Laughed Kyle as he remembered what happened only 4 days before had.

"Did you see his face when his beer went all over him I thought he was going to ground me there and then but he didn't thankfully." Casey told Kyle while trying not to imagine what Brax would say right this minute if he saw him.

Eventually after what seemed like forever the two brothers took off again, blissfully unaware that they were still being followed.

Ten minutes later, they arrived at the diner which was already getting full but their friends were already there and sat at the back of the diner with what looked like notepads and pens.

"You're late!" Tamara practically shouted as the two boys got closer to the table.

Sasha stated in agreement "Why is it you two always seem to be late when we all arrange to meet up I mean everyone else seems to get here on time? Even Josh and he lives with you two."

"Sorry Sash." the two boys replied in unison as they dragged to empty chairs over to join the rest of them. Casey followed with "It was Kyle's fault he was in his room writing music again and didn't here me shouting for like 5 minutes."

"Ehh… I'm not the one who had to keep stopping because they can't seem to keep their shoelaces tied now am I?" Kyle stated with a slight angry tone.

"Ok guys lets keep this civil yeah?" the two boys nodded in agreement as Oscar piped up thinking it was for the best as they don't need a fight breaking out while they were trying to plan Kyle's birthday celebrations. "Right before you two got here, we all thought that we should just go camping in the usual spot on the other side of the National Park that way we still in the bush essentially but we would also be close enough to Nelson's Noose that way we could all still going to the beach and have a bonfire if we wanted and of course you guys can go surfing."

"But not Xavier." Which came from a voice at the far end of the table.

"Why not I'm a great surfer!" Xavier questioned his girlfriend April.

April quickly answered which had everyone nodding "Well considering the last time you went surfing at Nelson's Noose you and the rest of the guys didn't' listen when we said there was a storm brewing, and you ended up being taken to hospital due to getting knocked off your board and ingesting water. Which by the way is bad for you."

"Yeah mate, I don't exactly fancy dragging your unconscious body out the water again!" Casey decided to say.

Knowing that they were all just going to agree with April on this occasion Xavier decided to let her win the battle. "Ok! Fine! You win I promise while we are there I won't going surfing as I don't fancy a lecture from John what with his upcoming nuptials to Marilyn and with Jett being a pain as per."

Once they had got that out the way, they managed to make a decent plan which of course included a birthday cake for Kyle which they ordered from the diner as they all loved the triple chocolate mud cake and every birthday had to have that particular cake. Once that was done they all split up and left the diner with the plan of going and getting everything ready so that they could leave for the National Park at 9am the next morning.

Thank you for the lovely review so far and here's the next chapter

Chapter 3

"Where the hell have you two been?" came a voice from the flat as soon as Casey and Kyle stepped over the threshold of the house they share with Andy and Josh (who was spending the night at Evie's so they could pick the cake up on the way to National Park.)

"Well I'm waiting for answer!" Brax said angrily

Hearing the shouting, Ricky walked in to the house "Come on Brax! They are both old enough to come home when they feel like it and by the looks of it they have been shopping."

"Well technically they aren't Kyle's not 17 yet so he still need to tell me where he is going and where he has been. So I'll ask again, where the hell have you been?" Brax said turning from Ricky back to his younger brothers.

Quickly responding Kyle explained "We were at the diner with the others making plans for the camping trip and then we went shopping to get supplies like food and stuff."

"See they were sorting out the camping trip, which by the way I don't need to remind you that you agreed to this." Ricky reminded him

"Fine but I need to know the details so I know where you are, that way anything happens we can come and get you all." Brax said caringly

Just as Casey went to reply to Brax there was a noise like something had been broken outside. Walking outside Brax saw a plant pot that normally resided on the table now lying in pieces on the floor.

"It must have been the wind." Ricky stated

Brax turning back around "You're right. Anyway you two back inside, I want you to tell me every part of that plan you've all made for the camping trip, before you go to bed."

After telling Brax and Ricky the plans, Casey and Kyle headed to the rooms where all they could think about before their heads hit the pillows.

30 minutes earlier…

The mystery guy who had been following Casey and Kyle all day, pulled his phone out of his pocket and called his boss. "Hey boss, it's Ray. No boss the reason I'm calling is to let you know there's a window of opportunity coming up. Well if you let me finish! It turns the kid is going camping with his mates and what I can only assume is his brother. They are living tomorrow at 9am for the National Park and staying close to somewhere called Nelson's Noose. Do you know it boss? Cool well I'll keep following them and I'll let you know what happens and see you in a couple of days' boss."

Deciding to get closer to see what his new favourite reality show was up too, he could here someone shouting and what sounded like a woman telling him to calm down. Not watching what he was doing he accidently knocked a plant pot of the table, quickly realising they might have heard the pot, he turned and ran to hide in the bushes which he had been hid in only a couple ours before.

Realising it was pointless going back now, Ray headed for his car making sure that he would be at the Surf Club ready and waiting to follow Kyle.

Chapter 4

The smell of chocolate chip pancakes creped its way through the share house like a cat looks for it's next meal, the aroma was that strong that as soon as it drifted in from the gap in Kyle's bedroom door and made it way to his nostrils, he was already licking his lips.

Rolling over to check the time Kyle quickly remembered that today was not only the day of the camping trip which he couldn't wait for but it was also the day he turned 17. Hopefully Brax might give me a bit more freedom now that I'm 17 although he's still the same with Casey. Oh well beggars can't be choosers I suppose; I should just be lucky he's letting us both go considering last night I felt like he was going to ground us being late. 

Walking into the kitchen, a slight grin (which was hardly ever seen) swept across Kyle's face. There on the table was a breakfast fit for a king.

"Happy Birthday mate!" following the voice his eyes located the person it came from. "Heath said to say that he was sorry he was missing your birthday but Darcy was going away with her new friend's family for a couple a day and that they'd rather stay in the city where they can be contacted easier if something happened. However, he did make a point to say that they would defo come and visit before the school holidays are over." Relaying the message from the second oldest Braxton, Ricky walked over to Kyle and give him a massive bear hug.

Replying once he had stopped being squished "That's ok, Rick it would have been a wasted trip anyway what with the camping trip and stuff."

"I smell pancakes!" Casey exclaimed as he wandered into the living room rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"You can wait Case! As you know its tradition for the person whose birthday it is to get first helpings." The oldest Braxton reminded him "Don't look at me like that Casey you know the rules and I expect you to respect them."

"Fine but I get some after Kyle as we have a long day ahead of us full of driving so we need lots of energy so we make sure to pay attention to the road." Casey stated quickly as he took a seat at the table "Oh by the way, happy birthday brother from another mother."

Moving closer to the table and taking the chair beside Casey, Kyle replied "Cheers Case and he's actually right for once Brax we need lots of energy today so that we can have our wits about us, therefore I think that means we are going to be needing a lot more pancakes to help with the extra energy."

With that Brax produced more pancakes which Kyle and Casey somehow managed to demolish two plate fulls of the chocolate chip pancakes which they both agreed would help them to stay more alert but also tasty.

After they had all finished eating, Brax and Ricky give Kyle his birthday presents. The first present he opened was some new sheet music as he was running out and they felt like if they didn't buy him anymore before he got paid, he would start using anything in the house that he was able to write on and they didn't fancy running out of toilet paper and tissues because Kyle had used them all. The second present was a new software for his laptop that allowed Kyle to edit his songs, so if he need to add in a beat he wouldn't need to steal the cooking utensils to do it. The final present was something which they both knew he needed the most as his other one was starting to head in the direction of retirement.

"Thank you so much guys, I've been wanting a new guitar for ages as my old one is literally hanging on by it's string." Kyle said with glowing smile.

Brax could see that this present meant the world to Kyle "The guy in the shop said its just like your old one but like you said not falling apart and we both knew that the other one would last another 4 months till Christmas so we thought we would get it now."

"Well thank you guys this is the best present I've had since one of my foster families got me the old one. Is it ok if I take it on the camping trip with me as I was going to take my old ones so we could all sing songs around the campfire?" Kyle questioned with a look of hope.

"Yeah, you can take just promise me you won't break it or lose it." Brax replied seeing how happy his brother was.

I'm so happy Kyle loves the guitar he really deserved it what with his exceptional grades at school and how hard he has worked at the restaurant and since he's been here there hasn't been any trouble except for the occasional fight which I feel like Casey and some of the other kids at the school drag him into. Also I'm pleased that he now trusts us enough to tell his bits about his life before he came to the bay, like how he got his first ever guitar through one his fosters families. Even though it was a bit it feels like a start to him opening up now I mean he's been with us for three years and I know we aren't the easiest family to trust but I feel like I still hardly know him…

Brax was pulled from his moment of thinking by Ricky who wanted his help to clear the table and get rid of the wrapping paper which in Kyle's haste to open his presents had just been flung in any direction to reveal the stuff underneath.

While they were tidying up, Casey and Kyle headed to their rooms to get have a shower and get dressed before they finished the packing they had started last night, once that was done they loaded the car and headed back in the house to say goodbye and to meet the others at the Surf Club, still completely unaware of the danger that was about to unfold.

Chapter 5

While Kyle and Casey were stuffing their faces and getting ready to leave, the others were rushing around trying to finish their own packing.

"Get out the bathroom Evelyn! I need to get have a shower and finish getting ready. That's if you and Josh have left me any hot water?" Oscar shouted while banging on the bathroom door trying to get Evie to hurry up.

Why is it always me that ends up getting in the bathroom last? Do they think I like cold showers? Cause I don't, I hate them! At the rate she's going I'm not going to be ready in time but saying that Casey and Kyle are always late so I would probably still get there before them. Hopefully.

Walking on to the porch he spotted Josh wrapping something up. "Kyle's birthday present by any chance?" Oscar asked as he sat down.

"What give it away? Evie said she was going to do once she had been in the shower but at the rate she's going this morning, I thought for safety precautions I would do it," Josh replied once he had managed to get the piece of sticky tape which had decided to wrap itself around one of his fingers like a snake wrapping itself around a tree trunk. "By the way, I don't think you're getting a hot shower this morning mate."

Oscar said in agreement "I don't think so either. I swear she does this on purpose just to wind me up."

"Probably mate but hey what are siblings for if they aren't on this to Earth to wind us up every chance they get?" Josh said just as the shower sounded like it had been turned off.

Deciding to go and see if that definitely was his twin getting out the shower eventually he said bye to Josh. As he was walking into the house he spotted Evie.

"So you got out the shower eventually then?" Oscar asked his twin sister.

Replying Evie said "Yes and I don't know why you're complaining its not like I was in there all day." Noticing that Oscar was about to ask about the temperate of the water "Don't worry I made sure I actually left you some hot water this time, as I don't fancy you complaining for the rest of the day especially with us having a three to four hour drive ahead of us."

Oscar noticing that she was trying to wind him up calmly said thank you and walked past her to get his stuff from his room and headed into the bathroom. Stepping into the shower he realised Evie was being truthful when she said that she'd left some hot water.

"Do you have to try and wind up him up every morning?" came the voice of her older sister Denny.

"Aww come on Den. He loves it really and besides its like totally allowed as I'm older than him by a couple of seconds." Evie told her before walking on to the porch to rescue Josh whose fingers were once again stuck together with sellotape.

Following her younger sister out of the door "No he doesn't love it Evie and we all keep telling you but you don't seem to listen. Also you don't need to remind us that you're older by a couple of seconds. SO promise me you will stop. Oh morning Josh."

"Morning." Josh replied

Telling Denny what she wanted to hear, Evie replied with "Ok Den. I promise I will stop winding him up."

"Good. Right I'm going now as I promised Mr Stewart that I would open the bait shop this morning as we have a delivering due in an hour. Enjoy the trip, tell the others I said hi and tell Kyle that I hope he has a great birthday. Also be careful please." Denny told her little sister and Josh.

After shouting by to Oscar who was already out the shower, Denny headed towards her car and headed to work praying that the twins would be ok.

"Took your time, didn't you?" Evie said as she wandered back into the house to get he stuff to put in the car.

Oscar quickly replied while trying not to drop what he was carrying "I enjoying the first hot shower I've had in months." Trying to wind her up "Finished unsticking your boyfriend again?"

"Shut up!" from behind him as Evie came out of her room with her stuff.

After making sure everything was locked up the twins joined Josh in the car and headed for the diner to pick up the cake then onto the Surf Club to meet up with the others.

Chapter 6

Over at Irene's house the teens were waking up to the usual hustle and bustle that happens every morning.

"Are you kids sure that you have everything because I don't want to find that when you're gone that you have all left something behind." Irene quickly said while trying to make breakfast.

First to respond Belle said "Don't worry Irene. When have we ever left something behind? I mean we've been camping enough times to know that we can't leave anything as its all important."

"She's right Irene, we never leave anything and if we have, we replace it by going to a shop on the way to the National Park." Aden added as he walked out of Belle's bedroom.

Replying to the teen who in the past was nicknamed 'troublemaker' "Where have you come from? Actually don't answer that I think I know where and I really would wish that you'd stop entering the house that was as we have two doors leading into the house you know? Also I know you all pop to the local shops around the National Park if you forget anything but I like making sure you are all prepared and I'm pretty sure Roman checked everything this morning and reminded you of the dangers"

"Well Irene I tend to prefer coming through the window as I can't disturb anyone if I decide to surprise my beautiful girlfriend." Aden told Irene.

"Ew! No offence mate but that it truly gross." Came a voice from the bottom of the stairs.

"Matt Page! It just proves how much Aden loves Belle whereas you never surprise me like he does." Shouted Sasha from her bedroom door way as she quickly wander down the hall, stopping at the the top of the stairs.

Realise he better say something otherwise she would be angry for the rest of the day "Aww babe, come on you know I love you. Also I do surprise you but I can't exactly climb through your bedroom window like lover boy over here."

"Why not? I do have a window."

"Why not? Seriously, why not?"

"Yes, why not?"

"Well Sash your bedroom is on the top floor over the house and I would probably die trying to get to it. That's why not." Matt quickly replied.

Irene thought that now seemed the right time to interrupt with breakfast before a fight started. Everyone in the house suddenly stopped what they were doing and gathered round the dining room table stuffing their faces while talking about the trip and what they had bought Kyle.

Belle told them that she had bought Kyle a signed CD by has favourite band, Simple Plan. While Aden had got him tickets to see that very band as they both like that band and it was how their friendship actually started as Aden had heard Kyle playing one of there songs on his guitar at Stewarts point (which is where he went everything morning for his run).

"Well I guess you two went shopping together for Kyle's presents" Matt butted in.

"Actually I got the tickets a couple of months ago and decided to wait before I told Kyle. It was Belle that needed the help so I told her he liked the band and she could get something to do with them. And besides what did you to get him?" Aden quickly asked.

"Well I got Kyle a skateboard, he tried mine a couple of ago and he was actually pretty good, so I thought I'd get him one," Matt told everyone sat at the table "What about you Sasha? What did you get Kyle for his birthday?"

After taking her glass and plate into the kitchen and sticking them in the dishwasher Sasha walked back in "Well I didn't know what to get Kyle. Which for me as the three of you know is unusual as I always know what to get people, so I want to someone who I hoped Kyle had let slip as to what he wanted."

"Who?"

"Well if you wait Matt, I'll tell you."

"I bet it was phoebe as she's, 1) Know Kyle the longest and 2) seems to be great when it come to buying presents for people."

"No, surprisingly Belle that's not who I asked for the help, it was actually Ricky."

"Ricky!" All three of then said together and Irene as she wandered back in from outside where she was watering her plants.

"Yes, Ricky! Even though all Kyle had let slip was a guitar which Brax and Ricky had already bought. She did give me one idea, which was a photo album as she felt like Kyle still didn't think that after all these years of him living here in the bay, he saw us all as friends."

Belle obviously surprised by what she had just heard "Are you being serious right now? How Kyle think that we aren't his friends? I mean it feels like we have known him forever, he's one of us, one of the gang."

"Well that's exactly what I said but she was serious. She said that from what she heard from Phoebe is that Kyle didn't have a great childhood after his mum died, he had apparently gone into foster care until his dad found him after he got of jail when Kyle had just turned 14," Sasha replied while they all listened in content "Ricky kind of assumed that he never really had the chance to make friends before been shoved to the next foster family and that Phoebe thought that he was bullied growing up as she felt like the kids in Kyle's old schools were mean to anyone who was in the foster system. So she suggested I do a photo album with us all in from over the past couple of years showing Kyle that he does have friends and that we love him dearly."

"That's tough poor Kyle. I didn't know he was in foster care." Irene shouted from the kitchen.

"None of did now that I come to think about it. I think we should use this trip as away to find out more about Kyle. Do you agree?" Belle asked everyone who nodded their heads in agreement "Right now that's sorted, I think we should start making tracks if we are to meet the others at 9."

With that the four teens said goodbye to Irene picked up their remaining things that hadn't been packed in the car yesterday and left for the Surf Club.

Chapter 7

"Morning girls." Roo said to the three girls who were just waking from their slumber.

"Morning Roo." The three of them replied at the same time.

"Breakfast is on the table, now my dad isn't feeling well so can you all be quiet which I know for teenage girls is hard to do especially with you going camping with your friends but try please."

The first to respond to the news of Mr Stewart not felling well, Maddy asked "What's wrong with him Roo? It isn't serious is it?"

Thinking it was best to reply quickly as she could see the worry in the girl she felt was her own daughter, "No sweetheart. My dad is fine he just has a common everyday cold which will clear it with some rest and chicken soup," Roo continued "So don't worry and just enjoy this trip away. Now this is from me and dad for Kyle. Its just a card but we just wanted to say happy birthday to him."

"Aww Roo, he wouldn't have wanted you to spend your money on card for him." Phoebe told her "Kyle would have been grateful if you just said happy birthday to him in person. Which is the reason I feel in love with him in the first place."

"Really? I thought you said the reason you feel in love with his was due to his amazing voice and guitar playing skills." Tamara replied to the rebel she had learned to love like a sister.

Agreeing with Tamara, Maddy said "Yeah Pheebs, I remember you saying that and pretty sure if we called the others they'd agree."

"Ok maybe there is two reasons I fell in love with that boy. Happy!" Phoebe replied to her friends.

Laughing as she closed the door and walked away Roo thought back to her first boyfriend (who was also her daughter Martha's dad) and how she fell in love with him due to his bad boy nature and wondered what the real reason was for Phoebe falling in love with Kyle.

"What are you doing?" Maddy asked Phoebe while Tamara was in the bathroom.

Without looking at her friend "I'm texting Kyle to say happy birthday."

"I know that's cute and everything but your going to be seeing him in about two hours. You could have waited you know." Maddy said as she looked at the girl in front of her.

"Please telling me she isn't texting Kyle a happy birthday?" Tamara said as she walked in and sat down on the bed.

"Why is everyone ganging up me this morning. Is it pick on Phoebe day or something?" Phoebe said with a kind of joking tone to her reply "Besides its always tradition, that I text him before I see him. Anyway now that we are all looking our usual beautiful selves can we please go downstairs and eat now cause I'm starving?"

With that Phoebe turned around and walked out of the room quietly, following her the other two laughed, picked up their stuff and walked out of the bedroom and followed in the direction of their friend.

"I do hope Mr Stewart is going to be ok."

Trying to reassure her friend Tamara replied "He will be fine Mads, you heard Roo he just has a common everyday cold which by the way he probably got from fishing. So don't worry and just think about the fun we are about to have."

Jumping in to the conversation, Phoebe also told Maddy "She's right you know? He goes fishing in all weather and the cold bug has managed to eventually catch up to him. So don't worry and like Tamara said just think about the fun we can have by playing pranks on the guys as I'm sure the other girls will be down for that."

"You know what you're right those boys need to have some pranks pulled on them after the amount of pranks they've played on us over the last couple of years. This is our time to get them back." Maddy joined in.

The girls carried on with their breakfast while continuing to come up with the best prank every to get back at the guys when Tamara's phone suddenly rang.

"Morning Casey. I'm fine and I'm assuming from the way you sound that you've just woken up, lazy bones. Yes you are and you know it. Did you tell Brax everything about the plan last night. That's alright then so what did you get Kyle for his birthday. What do you mean you didn't get him anything? Casey you got paid the other day as you told me when I went to meet you for lunch that while I was at work you were going to go shopping. Oh so you did go shopping, then why didn't you get him anything?" Tamara shouted down the phone.

Taking this as the best time to start packing up the car, Maddy and Phoebe cleared the table and put the rest of the food in the fridge and grabbed their stuff and walked out of the house agreeing that the phone call was going to end with another shouting match.

Not noticing what the other two girls were doing, Tamara continued her conversation with her boyfriend "Let me get this straight you had gone to get Kyle his birthday present when you walked past the videogame shop and decided to have a look and instead of just having a look you bought a brand new videogame which was £50 and then had no money left to buy Kyle anything. Well done Casey. He's meant to be your brother and all you cared about at that moment in time was yourself. You better come up with away of of getting him something our I'm going to tell Brax the truth about his new surf board!" with that she hung up.

Eventually realising that she was the only one in the room she got up grabbed her stuff and went outside. Walking to the car she could see that Maddy and Phoebe were already sat in it waiting for her.

"What's he done this time?" the two girls asked in unison.

"Went to buy Kyle's present and instead blew his wages on a brand new videogame for himself." Tamara replied to the two girls as she got in the car.

Starting up the car, Phoebe stated "So he was being his usual self then? You know I think you two seem to spend more time fighting than anything else?"

Agreeing with her friend, Maddy sparked up "She's right this time Tam. All you and Casey do these days is fight and that's not healthy for either of you and it isn't how a relationship is meant to be."

"I know but I love him. And before you say it I know its not enough if all we do it fight but what shall I do?" Tamara asked her two best friends in hopes they would come up with a solution.

Pulling out of the Caravan Park and heading in the direction of the Surf Club, Phoebe suggested "Maybe you should tell Casey you need a break from all the fighting and that you need some space, cause like Maddy said at the moment your relationship with Casey is starting to turn toxic."

"Ok I'll talk to Casey when we get a moment to ourselves and I'll tell that I want to take a break from the relationship." Tamara told them.

With that they continued driving to the Surf Club with the radio turned high and singing along to their favourite hits.

Chapter 8

Over at the Austin/Palmer household, trouble was on the cards for breakfast as Jett had once again been a pain and decided to walk in on Xavier and April in a compromising situation which left both, teens embarrassed.

"I know you are both are responsible but for god sake we do not need to have you to going at it like a pair of cats in heat, first thing on a morning" John practically shouted across the breakfast table.

Xavier knowing this conversation wasn't going to stop anytime soon had decided to defend his human rights "Come on John, how did we know that the brat was going to come barging into my room again. If anyone is getting in trouble it should be him because I no longer get any privacy in my own home which is so annoying that I want to move out. Also I bet you did the same at our age."

April who decided to express her own opinion on the matter said "I'm sorry John and you too Marilyn. We weren't expecting Jett to do that and I'm sorry for any trauma we have caused Jett but I have to agree with Xav on this Jett shouldn't really be barging into his room the way he did. Also you probably did do the same thing John."

"I know you two are sorry. However, this really needs to stop every time you stay over April and as you know I'm not one to stop romance in it's path but I don't think me and John need you two coming to us because neither of you were safe and that you have a bun in the oven April." Marilyn joined in the conversation.

"Don't worry Maz we won't let anything happen as we are always safe and we defo use protection." Xavier thought it was best to tell the two worried grown ups what they wanted to hear even though it might not be the truth.

"Good. Now that's settled can you promise me you aren't going to surf at Nelson's Noose I don't think I can take another situation like last time?" John asked the boy who he cared for since his mother died.

"Don't worry John, I've already told him he isn't allowed to surf there so he isn't as he promised but he is going to take his surf board as we promised him that we would stop at the beach we pass coming home from the National Park. That way he can still go for a surf but he will still be safe." April told her boyfriend's stepdad so he wouldn't panic.

Marilyn who had been listening to the rest of the conversation piped up "There you go John. No need to worry after all. Now can you two please go and get ready as I want to double check everything once you have finished so we know that you won't forget anything. Ok?"

With that the two teens who by that point had lost all thought of being embarrassed by that morning's fiasco, got up and headed in the direction of the bedroom and bathroom to get ready and gather their stuff for inspection. While they did that John and Marilyn started talking about Jett.

"They are right, we need to do something about Jett as this situation is getting out of hand and I'm really worried that Xavier will end up moving out." Marilyn told her soon to be husband.

Agreeing with her John replied "I know we do but what and how? Jett is usually a good kid but lately he has been a completely different person and that fact that he keeps barging into Xavier's room is even driving me crazy thinking that he could soon start doing that to us. Which by the way would only scar that boy of ours for life."

"Well why don't we use the time we have without Xavier to lay down some new rules with Jett and hopefully when Xavier comes back, he would have seen the change in Jett and hopefully won't want to move out any more." Marilyn continued to explain to John how this idea could work when the were interrupted by the April and Xavier walking in with all their things.

Knowing they were on limited time to check that the two teens had everything they needed, John told Marilyn they would continue the conversation later and walked over to the ever growing pile that was starting to form beside the sofa. Rushing out the room Marilyn came back with a clipboard and pen in her hands ready to start ticking everything of the list which she had created the night before to help her with the organising of checking the teens things.

15 minutes later…

Marilyn had done with checking and ticking everything off her list and handed Xavier a first aid kit.

"Maz, we already have one and I'm assuming the others have one as well. So do we really need this one?" Xavier asked

"I would rather you were safe than sorry in case someone has forgotten." Marilyn replied

Wanting to get out of there Xavier took the first aid kit and said his goodbyes and picked up the last remaining items and headed outside towards the car.

April walked up to the two worry grown ups and told them not to worry she would make sure nothing happens and on the off chance something did happen she would let them know as soon as possible. With that she picked up her backpack and quickly ran out to the car as she could hear Xavier beeping the horn.

"Ready to go?" Xavier asked as she got in the car.

"Yes, lets get out of here and go and celebrate our friend's birthday." April replied.

Before John and Marilyn had a chance to get near the car, Xavier had already pulled out of the drive way and was already turning out of the street.

Chapter 9

The early morning sun shone into the Honda Civic that had been parked at the surf club all night. As it shone through the windows it revealed a sleeping driver who to the few people that passed (either on their way to the beach for an early morning swim/surf before work, on their morning run or even walking their dogs) as someone who had arrived to their town late the night before or in the early morning hours just catching up some sleep before carrying on with wherever they were going.

Ring Ring.

Waking up suddenly, Ray felt for his phone which was in his coat jacket which he had used as a blanket.

Ring Ring.

"Hello." Ray said while try to adjust to the early morning sunlight "Hi boss. I was asleep, sorry boss. No after you called last night I went a bit closer to the house but had to scarper quick as I accidently knocked a plant pot over, so I though I would just drive to the Surf Club and wait here for him to appear then I could follow them. Yes boss, I know you said to stat hidden but don't worry no one saw me I dashed straight back to hid in the bushes where I heard someone say they the plant pot was probably due to the wind so don't worry about that. Do you know when your going to get to the National Park? Ok boss, don't worry I can keep an eye on the kid for longer and gather some more intel for you so I can tell you when I see you. I know boss don't interact with the kid or anyone else he is with. See you later" with that Ray's boss hung up leaving Ray just enough time to get out of his car and dash to hid behind the bins so he wouldn't be seen the teens who were starting to arrive.

"Looks like Kyle and Casey are going to be late again." Exclaimed April who turned around to look at the rest of her friends.

"You actually expected them two show up on time?" Aden asked her while the others just starred at her.

"Good point. But you never know they might surprise us one day and show up on time." April replied

Belle who thought now was a better time than any piped up "Hey guys, we need to talk about something before they get here, as I don't think Kyle should here this and we can always fill Casey in later."

"What is it?" Phoebe asked intrigued to know what surprise Belle had in mind for her boyfriend.

"Well myself, Aden, Sasha and Matt were talking about what we got Kyle for his birthday when Sasha told us she had asked Ricky for help as she didn't know what to get him."

"Ok, so what is it that Kyle can't hear but Casey can?" Phoebe asked her

"Apparently Phoebe, you had told Ricky that Kyle hadn't had a great childhood after he lost his mum and that you felt like he had been bullied for being in foster care. This then lead Ricky to say that she thought Kyle didn't see us as being his friends and more like someone who we put up with for Casey's sake." Belle told everyone that was listening including Phoebe

"Great I told Ricky that in confidence. I hoped it would help her understand why Kyle was the way he was. Quiet and never talked about his life before the bay!" Phoebe shouted obviously angry about being betrayed by Ricky.

Belle could see she was angry said "I can see that you're angry Pheebs but it 1) helped Sash come up with a great present for Kyle and 2) it made us realise we hardly know anything about Kyle other than he's a great friend, an amazing singer and pretty much a nerd." The nerd part made everyone laugh

"You're right, Belle we hardly know anything about Kyle other than what you've just said but what can we do? Its not like we can tie him to a tree and make him tell us everything. Is it?" Josh told her

"Well I think we should play a game of truths as we have never played that game since Kyle or you for that matter Phoebe came to the bay." Belle answered Josh

"Ok fine but if Kyle finds out that is why we are playing that I want you to tell him I had no idea that is what you were all planning. Okay Belle?" Phoebe said with full knowledge that Kyle is going to see through it and make up fake truths.

"We will make sure to tell him that you had no part in it if he finds out the real reason behind the game. Now do you think we should call them to find out where the hell they are?" Belle replied with a smile on her face knowing that they are eventually go to find out more about Kyle.

Chapter 10

While the others were already at the surf club talking about Kyle and how they would get him to reveal stuff about his life before coming to the bay, Casey and Kyle were on their way to the surf club already running late by fifteen minutes.

"So Casey, how are you and Tam doing relationship wise?" Kyle asked his brother who took his eyes off the road in front of him for a couple of seconds and looked at him curiously.

"We are fine. Why are you asking?" Casey asked his brother still curious as to why he was bringing his relationship with Tamara up.

Kyle could see that Casey was curious as to why he was asking and thought he should tell him about what he heard that morning when came out of his room "Well I kinda over heard you on the phone and it sounded like you two were arguing. Again!"

"What exactly did you hear Kyle? And what do mean by again?"

"To answer the first part I heard the whole thing. Sorry mate. To answer the second part, I mean again because all you've done for the past couple of weeks is constantly argue over anything and everything." Kyle replied knowing that he shouldn't have listened but he was curious as to what was going on "By the way Case I don't mind that you never got me anything for my birthday as I know how hard you worked at the game over the past week too get even some money. Also I know you've been wanting that gym since it came out at Easter. So don't worry about not getting me anything I'm happy with just you saying happy birthday to me."

Casey thought to himself. I wonder why Kyle is just happy with someone saying happy birthday to him instead of fussing and getting him presents. If I was Kyle, I wouldn't be happy with my brothers just saying happy birthday and not getting me anything. One thing for sure Kyle is not like us three, you can tell he had a different upbringing to us I mean I know he was in foster care but he must have had some decent foster parents at some point if he got a guitar. Right?

"Casey! Casey!"

"What Kyle?"

"Will you please concentrate on the road instead of what every you thinking off! I'd like to see till the end of my birthday at least."

"Oh! Sorry Kyle, I was actually thinking I know what I can give you for your birthday."

"Honestly Casey you don't need to get me anything. Like I said a simple happy birthday would suffice."

"I know but everyone deserves a presents on their birthday and I have the perfect thing and it won't cost a thing, and as everyone knows they are the best presents because they are more meaningful and thoughtful."

Kyle looked him wondering what he had in mind, laughed when he asked "Go on that what were you thinking as I know it most have taken a lot of energy for you to do that?"

"Because its your birthday I'm going to let that one slide but just this once alright. The idea I just came up with was that I'm going to teach you to surf as you're not a fully fledged Braxton until you know how to surf and that way we can all spend time doing something together as brothers other that watch TV or eat."

"Or argue like brothers do? I don't really think I should learn to surf Casey you know what my balance is like and I've only just learned to swim properly."

"I know you have a problem when it come s to balance and I know you just finished actually learning to swim which by the way you never said why you couldn't swim."

"Yes I did I said I was scared of big pools of water. Remember?"

"Oh I remember now we were at the the beach and you totally freaked on when Heath picked you up and threw you in." Casey said remembering that day. The fact that Kyle freaked out that much he had a panic attack and Brax was so angry with heath for doing it and I just stood there worried that something was wrong as he looked like he couldn't breath, then I realised it was just a panic attack and he would be fine.

Suddenly Casey was pulled from remembering that day when Kyle tells him they were at the Surf Club.

"Well, well look what the cat dragged in eventually." Maddy said as she saw the two brothers walking towards them.

"Yeah sorry we are late guys. I was opening my presents of Brax and Ricky and we were both stuffing our faces with chocolate chip pancakes." Kyle apologised as they got closer to their friends.

"Don't worry, happy birthday by the way." Maddy replied

"Happy birthday, Kyle!" the others all shouted

"Happy birthday, babe." Phoebe said as she jumped into his arms and started to kiss him.

The others all quickly turned around while trying not to through up, Oscar said "Can you two please stop doing that? I don't think any of us want to lose our breakfast."

Quickly putting Phoebe down Kyle told them they could turn around and Phoebe answered "We will just have to continue this later Kyle when some people are around."

From the behind the bins, Ray felt repulsed by the scene that had just played out not far from him. That was gross. Why would anyone actually do that in public? There again they are teenagers and they have no respect for anyone or anything. Something stinks. Ugh disgusting, mouldy pizza. Do these bins not get emptied or something? I want them to hurry up so I can get away from this horrid smell, and back to the safety and comfort of my car.

Archived