Are you looking forward to 2000-2005?

Skylover

Hmmm... Yeah in a Pre-Sutherland sense. 2000 was a good year. Took a while for me to warm to Leah at first (back when she actually had a personality).

On 9/4/2016 at 10:03 AM, adam436 said:

Who's looking forward to seeing Brodie Hanson again? She was by far the most annoying character in that era, yet all the boys (Mitch, Miles, Alex, the guy that was obsessed with her and brought a gun to school) thought she was brilliant <_<

I only found Brodie a bitch during her Miles arc (3149, the party especially)  and after his death where she blamed Alex (Pothole, circumstances beyond his control). The one time I cheered for her is when she slapped Kirsty  (who was a little more insufferable during 2001) for taking her jewellery and being a total cow about it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jeremai said:

I loved Leah from the moment she arrived, mainly due to the fact that Leah seemed to be a clone of Ada's overly talkative, rambling character in Breakers. I was disappointed when that aspect faded.

I loved Leah because of Ada's casting really as I was a fan of Katarina in Heartbreak High, but I also really loved Leah's energy. I really liked how that side of her came out again at Leah's 30th, but I think it's believable that it faded as she matured and lost two husbands.

9 hours ago, Jeremai said:

I loved Leah from the moment she arrived, mainly due to the fact that Leah seemed to be a clone of Ada's overly talkative, rambling character in Breakers. I was disappointed when that aspect faded.

Breakers didn't last very long did it? From what I saw it was basically a third-rate Neighbours/H&A clone. It was never gonna beat those two, even with former talent from both.  Neighbours at the time was in its second golden age (aka the Sarah Years) and Home and Away even in its first real dip was still doing well. The BBC gave up on it after about 6 months

Breakers ran for 430 episodes according to Wikipedia. The BBC did show it all the way to the end, but on BBC Choice which fewer people had access to since it was the early days of digital channels. It was actually the later episodes that had me hooked. Although it was perhaps a bit edgier, it was very much in the same vein as Neighbours and Home and Away, with a catchy theme tune and characters smiling on the beach in colourful opening titles, not to mention the crossover of actors. It's no surprise I liked it really, especially considering I was a teenager with plenty of time on my hands. But at the end of the day there really was no gap in the market for another Aussie soap.

I was never a fan of the early 2000's  as I couldn't stand the Sutherlands and thought they didn't have a place taking over Summer Bay House.

Even though I grew to like Kane and Kirsty together, I couldn't stand the others and felt that Brodie was a very weak and poorly plotted character as well.

It certainly wasn't a strong era in the show in my opinion.

Breakers suffered in the UK from the BBC insisting on showing it in a daytime slot which no-one but the unemployed could see.Fortunately I was unemployed at the time (or part-time) and I was really enjoying it, it was a dark day when it got moved to BBC Choice where about three people could see it.Don't remember Ada being in it, was that later on?

3 hours ago, Jeremai said:

Breakers ran for 430 episodes according to Wikipedia. The BBC did show it all the way to the end, but on BBC Choice which fewer people had access to since it was the early days of digital channels. It was actually the later episodes that had me hooked. Although it was perhaps a bit edgier, it was very much in the same vein as Neighbours and Home and Away, with a catchy theme tune and characters smiling on the beach in colourful opening titles, not to mention the crossover of actors. It's no surprise I liked it really, especially considering I was a teenager with plenty of time on my hands. But at the end of the day there really was no gap in the market for another Aussie soap.

I was in a similar position with Paradise Beach and E Street a few years earlier (which both piggybacked on former Neighbours and H&A talent starring).

5 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Breakers suffered in the UK from the BBC insisting on showing it in a daytime slot which no-one but the unemployed could see.Fortunately I was unemployed at the time (or part-time) and I was really enjoying it, it was a dark day when it got moved to BBC Choice where about three people could see it.Don't remember Ada being in it, was that later on?

She was in it from the point I started watching which was after the move to BBC Choice (guess I was one of the three!). Her credits on IMDB are obviously incomplete but the earliest one shows her as being in episode 75. She played Fiona who worked in the cafe kitchen with the chef bloke (another similarity to Leah).

Archived