Channel 7 ratings success due to longevity of H&A & success of MKR

Pantherboy

On 15/08/2016 at 10:25 PM, Gerard said:

I agree, it is the current TV landscape (for want of a better word) which will likely keep both H&A and Neighbours on air for years to come. I would say these days with dozens more channels, not to mention pretty much unlimited access to video through the internet, it would be incredibly difficult to establish any new soap, unlike the days when there were only a few main channels to choose from. I also think the current younger generation are less likely than ever to watch mainstream TV, never mind commit long term to investing a couple of hours in a continuing drama every week.

I think as long as H&A (or Neighbours) is making a profit for the producers/shareholders, there isn't much chance of them going anywhere. However if either series ends up costing more to produce, than money it is generating, that would most likely signal the end. I don't think it will be down to boredom, quality, or running out of ideas (as you could say they both ran out of original ideas about 20 years ago :) ).

I also lay the increase in weekly episodes of the UK soaps at Neighbours and H&A's door as they were huge rivals to Corrie, EE and Emmerdale in the 1990s so they upped their episode count. And they made, especially Corrie and Emmerdale bring in more younger characters to compete with Shane and Damo or Toadie and Rick Alessi.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/08/2016 at 7:01 PM, Homeandawayfan. said:

I also lay the increase in weekly episodes of the UK soaps at Neighbours and H&A's door as they were huge rivals to Corrie, EE and Emmerdale in the 1990s so they upped their episode count. And they made, especially Corrie and Emmerdale bring in more younger characters to compete with Shane and Damo or Toadie and Rick Alessi.

Probably the fact that H&A and Neighbours are 5 days a week and generally focus on younger cast (H&A moreso at the moment), did have an impact on the UK soaps in the late 80s and 90s, introducing more young "better looking" characters, and of course we may not have Hollyoaks at all had it not been for Phil Redmond seeing a gap in the market for a UK teen/family soap which only at the time H&A and Neighbours really served. 

It may have been partly because with H&A and Neighbours, the 5 days a week format was shown to work, that UK soap execs saw it was possible to introduce new episodes, in a more economical way that creating another show to fill the gap, and the audience would happy watch, But you can have too much of a good thing...

On 8/20/2016 at 0:24 PM, Gerard said:

Probably the fact that H&A and Neighbours are 5 days a week and generally focus on younger cast (H&A moreso at the moment), did have an impact on the UK soaps in the late 80s and 90s, introducing more young "better looking" characters, and of course we may not have Hollyoaks at all had it not been for Phil Redmond seeing a gap in the market for a UK teen/family soap which only at the time H&A and Neighbours really served. 

It may have been partly because with H&A and Neighbours, the 5 days a week format was shown to work, that UK soap execs saw it was possible to introduce new episodes, in a more economical way that creating another show to fill the gap, and the audience would happy watch, But you can have too much of a good thing...

I think its a current trend to do that in any series 

Archived